Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
I figured my tax return would help with this, so behold the totally rad Medicine box set:

4 colored records, 1 regular record
lyrics book
cassette of tour-only album
download codes for each album + "companion" mp3s for each album of b-sides, demos, etc
metal pin
press photo of the band

worth 80 dollars. I first heard Medicine about 6 or 7 years ago and was surprised by how I hadn't heard of them before as a big big fan of shoegaze and noisy rock. If you like the noisier side of shoegaze bands, I'm betting you'd really love Medicine, especially the albums The Buried Life and Shot Forth Self Living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

That looks killer, but yeah, $8 a pop is tough. It's probably been turned over a couple of times but there's still gotta be decent stuff there. I'd probably pitch something like $150 bucks to just get in the door then $3 a 45 after that? I dunno, given a bunch of time to dig I'm sure you'd come out ahead. (I mean, I don't get to see a lot of NOLA 45s around here so I'd way happy with $3/$4 copies of Check Your Bucket/mid-rangers with a slight chance of a Dap Walk, Barbarin, or something.) Basically walking away with a good stack of clean 45s would make my month, even if I didn't get over like crazy.

My fav RSD find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6ZaE9Mzqk
Yeah if I were going in exclusively to sell... and to sell a LOT it might work out. And he did say if you buy a lot then they get cheaper, but I'm not financially happy enough to spend $500 and go through the effort to get rid of 'em. My plan is either introduce somebody down here to it if they think they'll spend that kind of money or if he calls me back I'll tell him I can't meet the minimum $100 he wants to open unless he drops the price.

It definitely has been picked through but there's absolutely still profit to be made and good stuff to be found.. The Warren Lee and Polka Dot Slim 45s I got do pretty well on eBay, haven't really checked out the rest but I know stuff like the Hueys, which I saw a lot of, can at least fetch $10.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

fozzie dunlop posted:

You can use the code aprilstorewide15 at Insound this week to get 15% off your order until the 27th.

Jesus God, this is incredible.

Did those first two tracks have you prepared for Crumbling House and The Drone?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
My local record shop posted on Facebook that they got one more copy of the Sigur Ros RSD Hvarf Heim release, so I swung by on the way home from work and grabbed it :getin:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Floodixor posted:

I figured my tax return would help with this, so behold the totally rad Medicine box set:

lyrics book
download codes for each album + "companion" mp3s for each album of b-sides, demos, etc
metal pin
press photo of the band

worth 80 dollars. I first heard Medicine about 6 or 7 years ago and was surprised by how I hadn't heard of them before as a big big fan of shoegaze and noisy rock. If you like the noisier side of shoegaze bands, I'm betting you'd really love Medicine, especially the albums The Buried Life and Shot Forth Self Living.
Do those have alternate cover art from the normal releases? I don't recognize those...

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
That Medicine box is cool as hell. I recognize Aruca, and yeah is that an alternate cover for The Buried Life?

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yes, they are alternate covers.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

fozzie dunlop posted:

Jesus God, this is incredible.

Okay, I swear to god I'm not insane or an idiot, but I wanted to hear this and I donated some money to ELHR but how do I actually download the thing? I can't even preview it, I don't think, but maybe chrome or linux is preventing that.

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010
Just bought the new Jack White album at midnight and received a free test pressing of the album along with it. I love my local record store.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Handshake Drugs posted:

Just bought the new Jack White album at midnight and received a free test pressing of the album along with it. I love my local record store.

Is this something they did everywhere or was that special to your location?

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

CPL593H posted:

Is this something they did everywhere or was that special to your location?

Beatnick's in Montreal also had one they gave away on RSD.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

WASDF posted:

Did those first two tracks have you prepared for Crumbling House and The Drone?

I actually preordered the vinyl as soon as The Drone kicked in at that one part, you know what I'm talking about.

Dr. James Hetfield
Jul 2, 2003
(9")9

big business sloth posted:

Okay, I swear to god I'm not insane or an idiot, but I wanted to hear this and I donated some money to ELHR but how do I actually download the thing? I can't even preview it, I don't think, but maybe chrome or linux is preventing that.

Same here. I donated last night and have yet to receive anything - no email or download link after donation.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I was immediately directed to a download page.

Also wondering if I've downloaded the wrong thing because the praise for it is nearly comical.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

People just like it, dude. Different strokes for different folks.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

You should also be redirected to a page to download it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

WASDF posted:

You should also be redirected to a page to download it.

I get to the paypal thanks page and that's it. I'll have to e-mail them I guess.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was immediately directed to a download page.

Also wondering if I've downloaded the wrong thing because the praise for it is nearly comical.

Your reaction is identical to mine. I only donated $.01 because I figured I'd be buying the vinyl. Nope.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

I get to the paypal thanks page and that's it. I'll have to e-mail them I guess.

I remember having to click through to somewhere, but I forget now.

I like the chill stuff, and its cool, I don't think its absolutely loving amazing. And I hate the loud thrash rock stuff. But all around it's fairly decent, at least for some background chill stuff.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Floodixor posted:

lyrics book
metal pin
press photo of the band

I love "Shot forth..." and "The buried life" so much. Definitely not enough to shell out for this set, but I do think those are incredibly underrated records.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Apparently the Hvarf/Heim labels are switched on the RSD release. No source other than a friend copy pasted something to me and I'm on my phone. I'll test it out tonight!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Has anyone gotten their shipping notifications from Last Gang yet? I was so excited to get my order through that I didn't thoroughly read to see when they were supposed to ship.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Has anyone gotten their shipping notifications from Last Gang yet? I was so excited to get my order through that I didn't thoroughly read to see when they were supposed to ship.

Got mine early yesterday, should get here tomorrow.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ok cool. I got my order confirmation, but I selected "small packets air" as the shipping method because everything else was like $40 for shipping. I haven't gotten my shipping notification yet, but since it said it would take 2-4 weeks to arrive there's probably no tracking number.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, same here -- being in Canada I hope it gets here today or tomorrow.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
One of the stores around here was hiding records around the store with "FREE! HAPPY RECORD STORE DAY!" on them. Someone found a mono Sgt. Pepper's (barf) and I ended up finding a this guy. It looks really dinged up but it plays alright, a Jimmy Smith Blue Note LP for free is nothing to sneeze at.

RSD is cool because everything in the $1 is 50 cents so I bought a massive stack of records for cheap as hell. I bought exactly 1 new record:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I got some stuff from my dad, a Technics SL-Q300 tt and a Fisher x100b Tube Amp.

The TT has a thick rubber mat on the platter that warped, so I'm buying a replacement. One thing I'm seeing, though, is two holes in the rubber mat which correspond to what looks like two "hooks/clips/something" recessed into the platter. What is that and what does it do? Do I need a special replacement mat?

[You can see them in the picture that is a closeup of the front left, here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/technics_sl_q300slq30.html]

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 24, 2012

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Floodixor posted:

lyrics book
metal pin
press photo of the band

This looks amazing. I actually first heard Medicine when I first saw The Crow, they're a fantastic band and I'm surprised they weren't more popular.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Space human being posted:

RSD is cool because everything in the $1 is 50 cents so I bought a massive stack of records for cheap as hell. I bought exactly 1 new record:

What's the name of this artist/album because I want a copy. I rarely decide to buy something because of the cover, but just look at this loving guy.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

CPL593H posted:

What's the name of this artist/album because I want a copy. I rarely decide to buy something because of the cover, but just look at this loving guy.

It's Guitar Wolf's Jet Satisfaction.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Looks like Guitar Wolf.

e:f,b

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

traveling midget posted:

I got some stuff from my dad, a Technics SL-Q300 tt and a Fisher x100b Tube Amp.

The TT has a thick rubber mat on the platter that warped, so I'm buying a replacement. One thing I'm seeing, though, is two holes in the rubber mat which correspond to what looks like two "hooks/clips/something" recessed into the platter. What is that and what does it do? Do I need a special replacement mat?

[You can see them in the picture that is a closeup of the front left, here: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/technics_sl_q300slq30.html]

I have an SL-Q303 which detects if you have put a 7" or 12" on the platter so when you press start the arm swings out to the right position. I'm pretty sure the two little recesses are what detect the record size, so you will want a mat which has those holes in. (With 10" records I have to move the arm over manually since the auto-detected only works with 7" and 12" and it assumes they are 7"s).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Just got my $8 copy of Illmatic (and Low End Theory) in the mail today :getin:

Hopefully DFA gets here on time tomorrow!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Isorenieratane posted:

I have an SL-Q303 which detects if you have put a 7" or 12" on the platter so when you press start the arm swings out to the right position. I'm pretty sure the two little recesses are what detect the record size, so you will want a mat which has those holes in. (With 10" records I have to move the arm over manually since the auto-detected only works with 7" and 12" and it assumes they are 7"s).

That's indeed what it is. Thank you! Now to find a mat with holes... :\ The thingies sit a few mm above the face of the platter, so a regular non-holed mat will sit unevenly :\

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Called my local store and they had one copy of the Misfits RSD release left -- phew, totally forgot about that one. If im lucky i'll get the clear one. :3:

500 clear, 1250 red and 1250 blue out there. And the EU got purple ones.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Stop manhandling the vinyl, DROKK!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna be in NYC this weekend, and I have to know, what's the best record store in New York City?

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm gonna be in NYC this weekend, and I have to know, what's the best record store in New York City?

Academy Records and Sound Fix are right near each other Brooklyn, both are excellent. Academy also has locations in the Flatiron District and East Village. Other Music is a great place too, it is by NYU.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Two unattended copies of DFA on my doorstep :ohdear:

Other people in Canada should br getting theirs today or tomorrow I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
The Futurebirds RSD release is up on their website for those who didn't get it. I just put my order in, psyched to hear it.

http://futurebirds.bigcartel.com/product/seney-stovall