Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

ScarletBrother posted:

I would not have splashed white with so much double Red, but yeah, that deck is pretty sick.

-O Ring
-Timely
+Fiery Hellhound
+Slaughter Cry

Would be my changes.

Edit: I missed Greater Basilisk in the Sideboard. That guy is better than Slaughter Cry and you are light on dudes.

I was just going say the same thing. The Pegasus and Assault Griffon might have been beter if he really wanted to keep the white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

I'm going to need an Avacyn Restored sealed generator, stat.

It's the best way that I learned DKA just to sort of dick around and try to identify archetypes and what might work. I can't do it very well from a list of spoilers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Here's one:

http://taw.chaosforge.org/avr_sealed/

Just from an initial thought, red looks like it provides the best pools reliably, looks like the deepest color, and the only one that has real aggro options.

White and Green both look like they want to get up to 5-6 mana to do anything, and black just looks awful.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It looks like this will just be a slower format than ISDx3 or even DII, so it might be feasible to drop those giant bombs. White looks like that kind of a color. Sure, your low end is kind of lacking, but you make up for it with giant flyers and anthems at the high end. R/W might be an actual thing in draft/sealed, especially since there's a lot of R humans.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Black has actually got some drat good splash cards.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Gonna do some more gushing about how much of an engine Thatcher Revolt is:

In White:
Cathar's Crusade
Devout Chaplain
Goldnight Commander (!)
Riders of Gavony

Two of those are rare, but the Commander's an uncommon, so it should be quite possible to pick him up, and then you just swing for giant mountains of damage.

In Blue:
Mass Appeal

Okay, yeah, it's not really a thing in RU.

In Black:
Blood Artist
Bloodflow Connoisseur

Sadly, the "Sacrifice a Human" theme didn't really carry into AVR, because that would have made for some really awesome R/B decks. Still, these are two very functional synergies at common, although I'm not certain how good the black cards are on their own.

In Green:
Druid's Repository

There's a lot of soulbond stuff in green, and temporary creatures don't really fit with that theme a whole lot.

In Red:
Banners Raised
Havengul Vampire
Kessig Malcontents (Sort of)
Kruin Striker
Riot Ringleader
Vigilante Justice

Hoo boy, that is a lot of commons and uncommons. Havengul Vampire gets +3/+3 off of the revolt which seems great, if you can land Malcontents on the same turn, you get a free bolt to their face, the Striker pretty much turns into a Ball Lightning (and given how slow the set seems, you might get to keep the Striker afterwards), Ringleader and Banners Raised are both attack pumps at common, and a free bolt anywhere with Vigilante Justice seems pretty sweet.

Maybe I'm overestimating it, but the plays you can make seem really sweet.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
What are everybody's thoughts on Wild Defiance? Only good if you draft a bunch of pump spells and trample creatures? Blessing of Nature would make is pretty insane for a turn at least.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It's an interesting card, but I don't think it's amazing. It's funny in that it basically negates most of the removal in this set, but unless you load up on instants/sorceries, it's not something to rely on.

Knowing this, I'll open 4 on Saturday.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Dunno if anyone caught it yet, but the actual card is

Scalding Devil, 1R
Creature - Devil
2R: Deals 1 damage to target player.
Demons massacre, devils annoy

No picking off x/1 dudes, just a constant stream of annoying pings to the face, as mentioned in the flavor text.

Yea, we caught it, and yea we're bummed :(

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
At least there is the Falkenrath Exterminator, isn't too terribly costed at 2R, and you pay 2R to deal damage to target creature equal to the number of +1/+1s on him (he has the vampire +1/+1 counter for dealing combat damage ability).

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ProfessionalNinja posted:

What are everybody's thoughts on Wild Defiance? Only good if you draft a bunch of pump spells and trample creatures? Blessing of Nature would make is pretty insane for a turn at least.

I feel like there aren't enough pump spells and tricks that you really want to play to make this good. Looking through the spoiler you've got:

Zealous Strike
Rush of Blood
Uncanny Speed
Joint Assault
Snare the Skies
Terrifying Presence
Ghostform
Revenge of the Hunted

That's across all colors and all rarities. I cut one or two cards that I really wouldn't ever want to run, but most of the stuff on the above list is still pretty bad. I guess it's true that it makes some removal spells worse, but I can't ever see wanting to run Wild Defiance.

e: also Blessing of Nature, didn't realize it targeted for some reason. I guess if you have 4 dudes out and they all get +4/+4 (for the turn, including counters) that's pretty neat. But Blessing of Nature is great enough on its own, so why aren't you just smashing them to death? Travel Prep on steroids.

Also, everyone should go watch tonight's Conley Cube draft (#2) at CFB. I haven't finished the drafting portion yet but it's absurd and hilarious because he managed to get at least 4 Wildfire effects

TheGame fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 24, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I've watched all of the cube draft videos up on CFB so far. I would have to say that Conley #2 is probably the more entertaining one so far. He lives up to the channel fireball name.
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/channel-conley-cube-draft-2/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've watched all of the cube draft videos up on CFB so far. I would have to say that Conley #2 is probably the more entertaining one so far. He lives up to the channel fireball name.

Also Dredge + Sylvan Library seems like a hilarious pain to deal with on MODO.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Hahaha, that last round of the last match is amazing. I can't wait until MTGO cubes come back, since none of my friends cubes are finished yet. RG Aggro was ridiculously fun with Greater Gargadon and all the Sac at end of turn creatures I could get my hands on.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Filthy Monkey posted:

Game 2: ChannelBanefire
Game 3: I don't want to show my Banefire. Wait no, that was stupid of me.

Oh, Conley :allears:

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Niton posted:

Game 2: ChannelBanefire
Game 3: I don't want to show my Banefire. Wait no, that was stupid of me.

Oh, Conley :allears:

"Cancel, Cancel"
click click
"oh whoops I lose"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, though getting dredge replacement effect questions attached to 4 life draws sounds horrific in MODO's interface.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah that Conley draft was great. I enjoy LSV's cube drafts because of his enthusiasm but they are kind of samey. You can count on Conley to put together decks that do sweet things.

edit: Also, in G1M1 of TSG's cube draft #2 watching him not play his 5th land and Gideon onto an empty board to avoid letting his opponent Land Tax was incredibly painful. Also him not playing Marsh Flats in a deck where it would be a third blue source for Ice and helps with Searing Blaze.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2012

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

A few thought about AVR mechanics, now that I've had time to look at the spoiler a bit more.

To me, a good mechanic adds meaningful choices and points of decision to the game, in drafting, deckbuilding and playing. For example, something like Cascade isn't a very good mechanic, it's just a free spell that is no-brainer to take, and really doesn't affect limited deckbuilding at all.

Soulbound I actually really like now that I can see the commons and uncommons with it. Choice of what to pair with is meaningful, the fact that removing either creature in the pair strips the whole ability away adds completely new things you need to consider when attacking, blocking, and generally playing the game. Technically representing the pairs on board should be pretty natural too.

Miracle is actually quite ok to to my mind, though the decisions are simpler. The general idea looking at the uncommon miracles seems to be the decision between casting an effect at heavy discount but possibly not at the best possible time, and casting the effect at the time of your choosing but at a cost a bit over curve. Rares and beyond obviously have higher impact, but that's not really unusual, every format has their bombs. I am a bit wary about single sided wrath effects so I'm not too fond of Bonfire being what it is though.

The common blink effects in W and U, heavy bounce on U, should be really fun to play with, and especially the blink effects can work great with soulbound.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't play a ton of limited, but I enjoy going to prerelease events. Would it be tacky/weird to make a cheat sheet of each color's combat trick & removal instants so I have a better sense of what I can expect?

I guess I should also check to see if such a thing even legal too.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also Dredge + Sylvan Library seems like a hilarious pain to deal with on MODO.

I play a lot of EDH with Sylvan Library and it's not really that cumbersome-- Conley can just be a dummy. The CF logo covers up the box on the left so you can't really see, but it first says, "WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE THIS ABILITY?" and you say yes or no. If you click yes, you draw 2 cards. Then the box says "WOULD YOU LIKE TO PAY 4 LIFE TO KEEP A CARD?" and you click cards that you want to keep, then click ok. Then it says, "PUT CARDS BACK ON TOP OF YOUR LIBRARY." He just wasn't reading at all. It's basically as ridiculous as keeping a 7-land hand because you didn't read what the Mulligan offer was asking, which, incidentally, I've seen Conley do!

e Oh wait you mean together. Yeah that probably sucks, it seems like Graft and Dredge are both pretty awkward online. Still, Conley drawing those 2 extra cards and losing that game is totally on him.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 25, 2012

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

TheGame posted:

e Oh wait you mean together. Yeah that probably sucks, it seems like Graft and Dredge are both pretty awkward online. Still, Conley drawing those 2 extra cards and losing that game is totally on him.

Conley is really careless and makes a ton of mistakes. I mean, he also managed to screw up Arc Trail targeting in that very same draft. I must have cast Arc Trail 30+ times, and I've never once made that mistake.

I also think he might be the second worst Limited player on the team (after TSG.) That said, he does try to keep things entertaining for the most part, I'll give him that.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
TSG isn't on the ChannelFireball "team". He runs the store. He actually maintains a 670 card cube so I figure he's a little more knowledgable than Conley on cube drafting.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

TSG isn't on the ChannelFireball "team". He runs the store. He actually maintains a 670 card cube so I figure he's a little more knowledgable than Conley on cube drafting.

I just meant general Limited skill, I'm not nearly good enough at Cube drafting to tell who's good at that and who isn't.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Ashenai posted:

I just meant general Limited skill, I'm not nearly good enough at Cube drafting to tell who's good at that and who isn't.

TSG's videos are mostly skips for me.

When he passed Recurring Nightmare for Vengevine in his mostly-black deck with several 6-drop reanimation targets and few ways to trigger Vengevine's ability, I just straight up closed the video. For someone who owns a cube you'd think he'd know how insane Nightmare is.

He also always seems to mail in the commentary in his draft videos, unlike Conley or LSV who do a great job of detailing their thought process.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Lord Of Texas posted:

TSG's videos are mostly skips for me.

You are missing great drafting, especially with Cube. I usually skip Paulo just because he never freaking talks and it's a snoozer - I love him on MagicTV though. Can we all agree that Ochoa should probably stop posting draft videos?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Ochoa is boring but at least he's good. TSG's and Conley's videos are so horrible it's painful to watch, although Conley can be amusing at least.

Watching all these cube videos (and cubing online) makes me realise how utterly horrible most players are at cube. Both in card evaluation and in deckbuilding. He is a great player in other formats but Tom Martel's abortion that features both horrible mana and bad cards in all 5 colours is a great example. Even the better cubers like LSV base card evaluation on playing against shitters like Martel and TSG, having hard-ons for mana denial that is dead against real decks. To be fair, most people cubing online are not playing real decks.

Kasumeat fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 25, 2012

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

TSG is the most entertaining drafter, I think. He may not teach you a lot about the game, but he just has a funny style and is fairly self depreciating. Second is LSV, because he always thinks things out and explains. Conley makes tons of mistakes, but tries to draft interesting decks and goofs off.

PV is good but dry, and Web is my least favorite. I don't need to hear why Olivia is the pick for 5 minutes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kasumeat posted:

Watching all these cube videos (and cubing online) makes me realise how utterly horrible most players are at cube. Both in card evaluation and in deckbuilding. He is a great player in other formats but Tom Martel's abortion that features both horrible mana and bad cards in all 5 colours is a great example. Even the better cubers like LSV base card evaluation on playing against shitters like Martel and TSG, having hard-ons for mana denial that is dead against real decks. To be fair, most people cubing online are not playing real decks.

What are the real decks then?

It would be nice to be able to read a guide or commentary on this cube since it's coming back. Playing through it I could see the obvious broad strokes (reanimator decks, land destruction, fast ramping, etc.) and went in knowing certain cards like Jitte were pretty powerful. But I know there are a lot of cards that are less obviously flashy but still super-powerful -- like I had to see Upheaval and Future Sight played to see how powerful they were, and I know in an abstract sense that Smokestack and Tangle Wire are good but haven't fully grokked the decks that would play it. Also things like the relative value of man-lands (like I will slap Creeping Tar Pit into a UB deck, but how much is Mishra's Factory worth picking and what decks does it go in?)

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

When cube was around before I went 3-0 in 3 or 4 drafts just curving out with efficient beaters. I think a lot of people undervalue stuff like that and try to draft the lsv red deck or reanimator and just lose to Good Stuff

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Watching Tom stream his cubes was way more entertaining than the videos he's posted so far, he just played super durdly UW control decks almost every time and just won long games by attrition.

But in the first videos he uploaded to CFB he took Jitte P1P1 and then said it was a mistake and didn't play it. Jitte is literally the best card in the cube unless your deck is loving horrible?

Calantus
Sep 26, 2006

Jitte doesn't really work well in the more durdly control or comboish decks. Basically you need to be using your attack step for more than bashing in with some big finisher for Jitte to be good. Since he drafts durdly decks it may not be a good card for him.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=38el9

Just 3-0'd an 8-4 with a ridiculously aggressive R/G deck. There are a couple picks I'm not entirely sure about, so any commentary is appreciated.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I don't think there was anything I would clearly disagree with but the Harvest Pyre over Skirsdag Cultist pick. I'd take Cultist there pretty easily.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Lunael posted:

I don't think there was anything I would clearly disagree with but the Harvest Pyre over Skirsdag Cultist pick. I'd take Cultist there pretty easily.

I agree here. There was also one pick about the middle of pack 2 where I would have hated Invisible Stalker when there was stone nothing for you. Because gently caress Invisible Stalker.

This was a pretty nuts deck, though. Nothing like opening an on color bomb, eh?

I also just finished listening to last weeks Limited Resources. It was a particularly great show where they took a look back at Innistrad and tried to pull out some best/worst/favorite type stuff and I'm interested in what you guys have to say. I'm curious what some of you guys have to say about it. Some from me:

Favorite Uncommon - Falkenrath Noble, hands down. The dude had bomb-like impact on the board and won me more than my fair share of matches that I probably shouldn't have.

Best deck you drafted? For me it was a nuts almost mono-G deck where I opened: Mayor of Avabruck, Daybreak Ranger, Garruk Relentless and was passed 2x Elder of Laurels and a Gavony Township. I think it was the only INN draft that I took down without losing a single game.

Most drafted common (on MTGO): Typhoid Rats (26). Guess I love me some rats.

Worst common? - I think it's got to be Infernal Plunge. Looking through the list of INN commons just now, I think it was the only card that I never saw played once. I even saw Gruesome Deformity and the Wooden Stake come out of a few sideboards, but never once saw anyone take the plunge.

That's really all I can think of right now. Other than the very specific thing that I feel like happened to me every draft lately - Playing BR aggro with a Fires of Undeath in hand and your opponent plays: anything with more than two toughness. So many durdly creatures shut down by Midnight Guards :(

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I actually did end up going up against Invisible Stalker; he went T2 stalker, T3 claustrophobia my Daybreak Ranger, T4 Spectral Flight. Fortunately, I went T2 Hermit, T3 Daybreak Ranger (got Claustrophobia'd), T4 Russet Wolves, T5 Hellrider, swing for 11.

Favorite Uncommon: Definitely Spider Spawning. Seeing a card like that fuel a werid but really good archetype made of junk cards is really satisfying. Sure, it got really overdrafted, but that's because it's just so cool. Too bad DKA kind of killed it.

Best deck you drafted: Easily this one: http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=387n7#p1p1 . Double Increasing Devotion, Champion of the Parish, Gavony Township. It was as absurd as it sounds.

Most Drafted Common: I'm not sure about this one... from DKA I've picked up a lot of Torch Fiends, but besides that, I've got no idea.

Most Drafted Mythic: There was a stretch of three straight drafts where I would open a Helvault pack one. Not even kidding, three straight drafts. I'm pretty sure there were two more besides that.

Worst Common: I really can't argue with Infernal Plunge. It's just so spectacularly useless.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Favorite uncommon: I think I'd go with Civilized Scholar, I love looters in general and it's definitely one of the more interesting ones. Looting plays well with other format mechanics, being able to beat down is a big thing. Falkenrath Noble comes close.

Favorite deck drafted: That would probably be the one UR flashback deck with double Burning Vengeance I managed in triple Innistrad. What and absolute blast to play. Though the recent GPT top 8 UG graveyard deck was hella fun too.

Most drafted common: Swords to... I mean Sensory Deprivation at 13 (probably should be 17, after offloading commons to a buddy recently).

Worst common: I'd actually choose something that I ran into in games sometimes (or played myself) rather than Infernal Plunge that is obviously terrible and very much the worst limited common from all the cards. Bloodcrazed Neonate probably takes the cake: Early on you really, really had to have some support for her or risk driving her against 2/3, token or something else not profitable, especially with DKA in the mix. Late you have just a blank unless you could chump with her right away. Honorary mention to every Shriekgeist in the decks I had playing against me.

(Actually I even had Infernal Plunge played against me - in prerelease 4-0 match. Ramped into Bloodgift Demon... didn't work out.)

How was the format: Triple ISD was very good, likely one of the best limited formats I've played. I don't think DKA ruined anything, and it did prevent the format from staling out nicely, but there's something just a tad bit off in DKA-INN I just can't put to words. Still, good and fun.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Favorite Uncommon: I think I'll go with Midnight Haunting. Not the most powerful card, but plays well with everything, and those little loving spirits have probably worn more daggers, travel prep tokens, and triggered more Aristocrat life drains then anything.

Favorite deck drafted: The looniest deck I drafted involved getting Mikeus (w), Havengul Lich and an Angelic Overseer with a Lingering Souls, Falkenrath Noble, Unburial Rites and a ton of card draw and weenies to get me there. That's cheating a bit though, so back in triple INN I drafted a deck with 6 Travel prep's and every 1-3 drop W/G creature I could find and a mentor of the meek. I won.

Worst common: I once saw someone use infernal plunge to enable Morbid in a R/G deck. It sucked, but at least it did something. I nominate Curse of Oblivion. They seriously couldn't design something better then that to waste a common slot?

Most drafted common: I have over 30 of 4 commons, Silent Departure, Travel Prep, Prey Upon and Rebuke. Dang, I've drafted more Innistrad then I thought.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My favorite uncommon has to be cleaver. Sure, things like slayer of the wicked and murder of crows are better, but I can pretty much always find a place for a cleaver. I'll run it even without a lot of humans, but with a lot of humans it is all the better. I just like equipment.

Favorite deck. I don't know. I seem to end up green/white or green/red a lot. Edit: Actually, I know. I drafted a blue/black zombie deck with two endless ranks of the dead once, and managed to get both of them out at the same time a couple games. Given that one activates and then the next, you can suddenly end up with a very large zombie horde. That was pretty fun.

My most drafted common is orchard spirit. I guess I end up in green a lot, and I tend to like my evasive dudes. I mean, he isn't as good as chapel geist, but he tends to be easier to grab and he carries a travel prep pretty well. Second most drafted common is a tie between villagers of Estwald and, somewhat surprisingly, cobbled wings. Estwald is good curve filler, and I guess I am more likely to play a wings than most people. I certainly don't pick the wings early, and would guess that a lot of times I picked it I didn't run it.

Worst common is a tough one. There a good number of unplayable commons. I guess the worst common I've actually played in decks is probably heavy mattock.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept
My favorite common is probably bump in the night. lovely card, but I seemed to go B/R every other draft back in triple INN. I have 30+ of them. I absolutely loved getting 3 or so in a deck and just blowing someone out once I hit 6 mana.

Favorite deck.. was again B/R. There was this one night where I hit every removal spell possible. Tragic Slip, 2x Fires of Undeath, Death's Caress, Devil's Play, 2x Brimstone Volley, Geistflame, Dead Weight, Victim of the Night, Rolling Temblor.. easiest draft I've ever done.

Favorite rare? The loving mayor. Won too many games by just dropping that guy and protecting him for a few turns.

Worst common probably goes to shriekgeist, though I did actually once get blown out in a sealed game due to that card. T2 shriekgiest, t3 curse of the bloody tome, I had lovely draws and was milled out a few turns later. Still won the match of course.