Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Art Deco Missy by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Photo of the missus while out Friday evening covering a burly do... Shame I had to crop so tight at the bottom and miss the décolletage, but there was an awful brown faux-marble bar just to camera right. Plus point, there was also a big mirror above the bar, so I got amazing even light off one diffused flash head; this has a bit burning along the right jaw/hairline to give a bit depth and shape.

And just for fun, a couple of the morning after; ladies, I salute the effort you put in to hair and makeup, I could never be bothered ;)

Missy - The morning-after hair (1) by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Missy - The morning-after hair (2) by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

Bit soft on the second, I was using a 35 mm I've had in the corner of my bag for ever and never bothered with - didn't realise it went down to f2, hello paper thin DOF : o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Couple of things from today's hair and makeup stuff.

My absolute favourite model came back today, she hasn't been there for almost a year, so I was insanely pleased. I'm trying to get her to come and do a shoot outside of the make up school's stuff - I haven't really done any "fashion story" type stuff, or just a series of full body portraits with a model.

If she agrees, I'll be using the massive local park and shooting in the late afternoon. Cheesy as gently caress, I know, but I just fancy it.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I shot a wedding on Saturday and they had a jazz band. The singer was taking a break between sets and was seated in this pose. I bounced a bit of flash off the wall to my left and was quite pleased with the way it turned out considering it wasn't much more than a snapshot:

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Here's one from this weekends shoots, taken by my wife :)

K J Storey by MrsMcZany, on Flickr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

Here's one from this weekends shoots, taken by my wife :)

K J Storey by MrsMcZany, on Flickr

That is awesome, bob, the only thing I would have done different is to bring the dish down slightly to get the hair lit on the falling curls, but that is only a personal thing.

Did a shoot for an actor over the weekend, easily one of the most challenging things so far. All posing guides are out the window on this one and it's all about capturing a range of emotions and the versatility of the actor.

(link for big http://i.imgur.com/KPXcN.jpg)

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

AceClown posted:

That is awesome, bob, the only thing I would have done different is to bring the dish down slightly to get the hair lit on the falling curls, but that is only a personal thing.

Did a shoot for an actor over the weekend, easily one of the most challenging things so far. All posing guides are out the window on this one and it's all about capturing a range of emotions and the versatility of the actor.

(link for big http://i.imgur.com/KPXcN.jpg)

Dude's smile shot looks like he's going to come after me :S I don't think this was your issue, but I would have liked to see a genuine big smile in there somewhere. All his faces kind of look the same to me.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

CarrotFlowers posted:

All his faces kind of look the same to me.

I have no idea what casting agents (or whoever these photos are aimed at) are looking for but I agree with Carrot, it's the same face over and over. Reminds me of that "It's a mystery" girl GIF.

Edit - might not be "its a mystery" but this one - http://i.imgur.com/QFXNw.gif
Linked for epilepsy.

Jiblet fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 17, 2012

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

m4mbo posted:

Playin with garms is fun. Having nice clothes to shoot makes such a difference!

Had my first go at shooting an editorial story the other day, still working on my selects but pretty pleased with the results.

This is one of my faves:

And this one I like but there's something with it that seems very clear to me but I want a few more opinions, thoughts? This is pre edit so I realize it needs some tweaking.

I know people hit on the posing guide suggestion, but I wanted to nth it. You need to think about your model as a body in motion. Stress posing that implies movements, or straight up let her move and shoot when it's happening. Someone doing something is automatically more interesting than someone just standing there.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jiblet posted:

I have no idea what casting agents (or whoever these photos are aimed at) are looking for but I agree with Carrot, it's the same face over and over. Reminds me of that "It's a mystery" girl GIF.

Edit - might not be "its a mystery" but this one - http://i.imgur.com/QFXNw.gif
Linked for epilepsy.

It's how he wanted it done, no big smiles (he goes for serious drama work) with only slight subtle changes in expressions to show different moods, I was working under direction from him for the most part. He's had a few shots done before (typically every 6 months to keep them current) and pretty much knew exactly what he wanted.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

AceClown posted:

It's how he wanted it done, no big smiles (he goes for serious drama work) with only slight subtle changes in expressions to show different moods, I was working under direction from him for the most part. He's had a few shots done before (typically every 6 months to keep them current) and pretty much knew exactly what he wanted.

And that's fair, that's what I assumed happened. If the client is happy, it's a win. However, I wouldn't use that collage of images in my portfolio, personally, because I don't think there's enough variation to really show different moods and show off your skills and without knowing that that's what the client asked for, it looks like the photographer's weakness instead.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

AceClown posted:

Just as a small counterpoint, I've had shoots like these, where the guy comes in with all these ideas. I had one shoot where the stuff the subject was suggesting was making me cringe and scream inside (I should add that he said "don't worry about directing me, I'm pretty good at this sort of thing" as an opener). After a while, I straight up stopped him and suggested a couple of other ideas and softly convinced him to "just give them a go", ensuring him that we would capture all of his brilliant ideas as well as these other few I thought of. Anyway, as it turned out, he was very happy with my additional ideas, possibly because he didn't look immensely embarrassing in them!

Basically, I'm just saying sometimes, force your will on them a little, as long as you still get the shots the client really wants. When they see them they will often agree that your ideas look great.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I went to my brother's wedding and tried hard not to be "that guy". This was before the photographer showed up, while everything was being set up. First time I've ever told someone how to pose for a picture.

Can I get some pointers on how to make this kind of thing a bit nicer in the future? I also could probably use some post-processing tips.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Alfajor posted:

I went to my brother's wedding and tried hard not to be "that guy". This was before the photographer showed up, while everything was being set up. First time I've ever told someone how to pose for a picture.

Can I get some pointers on how to make this kind of thing a bit nicer in the future? I also could probably use some post-processing tips.

Have him stand in a more solid block of shade and perhaps not pose like a cheerleader? I think the main thing is the light splotches.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Alfajor posted:

That is a very feminine pose for a man.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

AceClown posted:

That is a very feminine pose for a man.

He's wearing slip on shoes to his own wedding, what do you want from him?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Alfajor posted:

First I'm rarely a fan of mix shade/sun since it gives a leopard effect which is weird. Props on not shooting in the complete sun tho since it seems like it was very bright.

The posture is weird for a guy and way too posy... I'd say take a look at male pictures/headshots. Posture for men is usually really simple. Also, tree usually don't work for me, gives a weird "Sears" vibe.

Here are a few men I've shot:

IMG_3483 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3741 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_1350 by avoyer, on Flickr

I find men posture is much "simpler" than women... which makes the whole thing complicated lol

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Ah, well poo poo :shobon: I guess I'll have to wait for my other brother to get married to try to not pose him like a chick. Whooops!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Alfajor posted:

Ah, well poo poo :shobon: I guess I'll have to wait for my other brother to get married to try to not pose him like a chick. Whooops!

I showed this picture to my wife and she said that you should have had him toss his head back to complete the pose.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Alfajor posted:

Yeah, he looks like a guy who's being a good sport and let himself get over-posed. Just a couple of pointers, find SOLID shade to shoot in, come in at an angle, not 90 degrees to him and the tree, and use books/pages of poses to come up with ideas that you can quickly demonstrate yourself. If someone immediately jumps to modelpose then tell them to relax and then take the shot. People who are nervous about photo shoots tend to fall into the best poses and expressions right after they're told "Ok, let's take a break"

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Had a shoot with a family last Saturday. Not done processing but here are a couple :)

IMG_4327 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4390 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4374 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4535 by avoyer, on Flickr

(used the last one for my website's background... I think it works well :) http://iamnophotographer.com/ )

xenilk fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 24, 2012

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
I can't believe I still haven't gotten my new camera in the mail. I'm running out of old photos to edit!

Hobo Chic by Myotomy, on Flickr

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

RangerScum fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Apr 24, 2012

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I can't believe I still haven't gotten my new camera in the mail. I'm running out of old photos to edit!

I don't know whether or not you wanted c&c, but I had to say this about this photo - her neck with all those shadows makes her look really really old. The whole area looks "rough" to me; blotchy in a way. However, it's nothing that PS can't fix.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Santa is strapped posted:

I don't know whether or not you wanted c&c, but I had to say this about this photo - her neck with all those shadows makes her look really really old. The whole area looks "rough" to me; blotchy in a way. However, it's nothing that PS can't fix.

I'll always take c&c without any complaints. Though the only shadows on her neck are on the right side from her chin, so I'm not sure which part you're talking about. The wrinkle lines in her skin? Also the skin might look blotchy if viewing a small version of the photo, if you look at the full-size you'll see that the makeup artist put on some gold glitter stuff. I am not sure how sold I am on how good it looks, but ah well.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum posted:

I'll always take c&c without any complaints. Though the only shadows on her neck are on the right side from her chin, so I'm not sure which part you're talking about. The wrinkle lines in her skin? Also the skin might look blotchy if viewing a small version of the photo, if you look at the full-size you'll see that the makeup artist put on some gold glitter stuff. I am not sure how sold I am on how good it looks, but ah well.

Ah, I looked at your original and noticed the glitter. It was sloppily applied to her neck (unless that was the intention, in which case it was not obvious), which added to the blotchy feel that I was talking about. By shadows I meant the different shadows around her collar bones. Also, like every normal person, she has lines around her nose and under her eye.

I hope you don't mind, I took your photo and edited the following:
- removed the eye and nose lines for a smoother cheek area
- smoothed out her neck by removing the messy glitter lines and neck lines
- slightly lightened her collar bone shadows as to not be too pronounced

It's a quick edit, and I could have spent more time around her eye lines, but I wanted to show you what I was talking about.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Also RangerScum, be careful about having your model look into the camera with eyes that are turned too far to one side. The guideline is generally to see whites on both sides of the pupil, but the idea is that eyes turned too far off the axis of the head tend to look awkward, as they do in this shot.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I would have never guessed it was glitter until you said it, it just looked like sloppy concealer or makeup being applied and looked like weird bruising. Your makeup artist did great with the cool eye makeup, but should know how badly applied glitter will look on camera. Also agree with the smoothing of the lines on the face, if you're going for a beauty shot. As it is with the glitter and imperfections on the skin, it kind of looks like a sickly/almost zombie shot. The purple shadows on the collar bone combined with the yellow tone of the skin (from the glitter) really add to that effect.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

McMadCow posted:

Also RangerScum, be careful about having your model look into the camera with eyes that are turned too far to one side. The guideline is generally to see whites on both sides of the pupil, but the idea is that eyes turned too far off the axis of the head tend to look awkward, as they do in this shot.

Word, that was something I noticed when I was editing these shots- It bugged the hell out of me. These are all from over a year ago though and the positioning of the eyes is something I always make sure to pay attention to now, good point though!

CarrotFlowers posted:

I would have never guessed it was glitter until you said it, it just looked like sloppy concealer or makeup being applied and looked like weird bruising. Your makeup artist did great with the cool eye makeup, but should know how badly applied glitter will look on camera. Also agree with the smoothing of the lines on the face, if you're going for a beauty shot. As it is with the glitter and imperfections on the skin, it kind of looks like a sickly/almost zombie shot. The purple shadows on the collar bone combined with the yellow tone of the skin (from the glitter) really add to that effect.

I've worked with the MUA several time now and he usually does a good job, but I think he was a bit off that day. The purple around her eye made it look like she had a wicked shiner in all of the shots that weren't close up, so that was another thing I had to deal with.

Santa, nice edit job, I will probably clean it up a bit tonight. It really is a shame about the eyeballs though, it pretty much disqualifies it from going into the portfolio. Wamp wamp.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I wrote a simple posing guide for clients on my blog, what do you guys think about it? http://www.davidchildersphotography.com/Blog/Posing-Guide-How-to-feel/

quote:

The first thing my portrait subjects always say is, "I'm the least photogenic person ever." Of course, they're being modest or just have a normal aversion to being in front of a camera, but with a few simple tips they always end up taking great portraits. I'm going to share a few of these tips, so the next time you find yourself in front of a camera you can use them to look your best.

1 Give your hands something to do

One of the worst ways to turn a great portrait into an awkward one is to have what I call the "dangling hands" effect. Never just let your hands hang by your side, it will almost always look unnatural and uneasy. Give your hands something to do. Put them on your hips, grab your hair, use a prop, anything but letting them just hang.

2 Point your chin

A strong close up portrait is all about the jawline, and the best way to accent your jawline is to reach out with your chin. Even if you don't have a strong jawline, keeping your chin out away from your neck will do amazing things for your portraits. This works for men and women alike, because a strong jawline doesn't have to be masculine, it can be very soft and feminine as well.

3 Lead with your shoulders

Very rarely will your photographer ask you to turn directly at the camera and face it straight on, so always think of your shoulders as a line towards the camera. Point one out towards the camera and use it as a guide for your chin, it will create a nice line that looks great in the frame.

4 Don't think about posing
It sounds counter-intuitive to the previous points, but don't over-think the posing and forget to be yourself. Some of the best photos come from the in-between pose shots, where people let down their guard and are laughing or engaging the photographer.

5 For couples, pretend the photographer isn't there

I love capturing couples interacting with one another. It creates much better portraits, and will always look more natural than posing. I generally place my couples in the scene and tell them to just ignore me and enjoy one another's company. I may give them a few directions but I try to just let them be themselves, because that's what they want portraits of in the first place.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Lamb of Gun
Apr 2, 2009

On the goodship lolli-gag, LSD and a bloody pile of rags, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT I AM

Reichstag posted:

Your white balance seems a bit off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Reichstag posted:

Sweet, a portrait of Missingno.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Took some pictures of friends of mine. I'm self-conscious that they are too similar to the dime-a-dozen cheeseball engagement stuff people are always posting on Facebook. If so, what would be a more interesting way of shooting a couple?

DSC09419 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC09366 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC09480 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC09794 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

I have some of the girl alone that I think turned out pretty well. I might post them eventually, I don't want to flood the forum.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Her smile looks very unnatural and forced, as does his, in fact. Background choice and comp is good and what the subjects would want and expect but she really needs some direction or something to snap her out of the corpse face she's pulling. It's probably something as simple as getting her to close her mouth and relax*. Get her out of her photo face and these could turn out a lot better. He has a bit of a photo face but it's not as bad and looks fairly natural in some of the shots.

EDIT:* Getting her to relax is not that simple, but it is worth working on.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I love the colors, the locations, the exposure... even the posing starts out great, but they need to be addressing one another, not the camera. That's what comes across as off-putting to me. As it is, their smiles say little, since they are faking a smile, so let's see them interacting a bit more.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

LargeHadron posted:

DSC09480 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC09794 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

3rd photo: Remove the blue recycle bin in back of her arm. Also, it looks like a plastic bag is in the far right frame. Other than that I think this is a nice photo.

4th photo: looks better, the only thing I would say is that the hand placement looks a little awkward but posture and smiles look good.

Practiced a few office shots in preparation of photographing everyone in our agency in the coming month. I was a little frustrated with the first shots but as I got rolling I started liking it more as I got comfortable with the lights and directing my co-worker. I feel comfortable with where these landed and I thought she did a great job considering she had no idea she was getting into. I realized that these were taking a darker approach to corporate head shots but my partners were pleased with the results.

A few things:
1 - I realize I was shooting with a pretty slow shutter speed, around 1/50th, usually around the same as my focal length. I'm still not certain if the softness is me missing focus or if I have a soft copy of my Tammy 17-50. I am going to try to look into this but the office said I can rent lenses if I want. I also realize I was wide open so it probably isnt as sharp as it could be.
2 - I'm only using 150 w/s lights but its really difficult to balance them with ambient light because they are so bright. These were only shot with one light and a 24/36 softbox, I was sort of hoping I had used my beauty dish instead to leave a better catch light in her eyes.
3- Shooting 45 people in my office in multiple locations like this is going to be a logistical nightmare.

IMG_9474 by derick.adame, on Flickr

IMG_9476 by derick.adame, on Flickr

IMG_9478 by derick.adame, on Flickr

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 27, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

bisticles posted:

I love the colors, the locations, the exposure... even the posing starts out great, but they need to be addressing one another, not the camera. That's what comes across as off-putting to me. As it is, their smiles say little, since they are faking a smile, so let's see them interacting a bit more.

That's a good critique, next time try to have some shots when she's looking at him (tell her to relax her face) and him looking at the camera. Gives a sense of "capturing a moment"

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I definitely need to think more about facial expressions. My instinct is usually to just say "look here and smile."

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Slightly different tones, crops, and poses. Can't decide which I like more. Thoughts?

Silhouette d'Amour is Gothic by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Bonus:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Cyberbob posted:

Slightly different tones, crops, and poses. Can't decide which I like more. Thoughts?

Bonus:

Number 3 is her most flattering, number one is best shot overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Cyberbob posted:

Bonus:

I like everything about these, I have nothing bad to say :) The finish is awesome too.