Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah I got my 6 from Fedka and it's been no trouble since I adjusted the rangefinder. I did rip a roll of film with the advance but only because I forced it and didn't know you could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Every time I am tempted to buy a rangefinder I think "eh, an Argus is cheap, right?" Then I don't buy it because I don't have money.

But I'd totally buy a FED or KIEV or something. The Minoltas are horribly tempting, but I can never find one locally, and gently caress paying ebay prices for one.

Also, I wouldn't buy an Argus if you just want a rangefinder. They're probably not what you want.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Zenostein posted:

Every time I am tempted to buy a rangefinder I think "eh, an Argus is cheap, right?" Then I don't buy it because I don't have money.

But I'd totally buy a FED or KIEV or something. The Minoltas are horribly tempting, but I can never find one locally, and gently caress paying ebay prices for one.

Also, I wouldn't buy an Argus if you just want a rangefinder. They're probably not what you want.

I love my FED-5. it takes pretty solid pictures, actually (i wish i was like, a foot further to the right for this shot)

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Zenostein posted:

I do recommend the Argus C-Four. They turn up on Ebay in the $25 range, whatever metal they're made of doesn't corrode, the design is far less clunky than the C-3 Brick and the coated Cintar lens is pretty decent. The lack of strap lugs is kind of annoying though.

A few shots I've taken with mine:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been playing around with some Fompan 400 pushed to 3200 in 1+25 Rodinal (18 min) and i'm quite impressed with the results.

The negatives look quite good, but obviously contrasrty, and the grain isn't ridiculous either.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
You shot at 3200 in broad daylight? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HPL posted:

If you want the grain and contrast then it makes sense, but without a ND filter it would be hard to take pictures at anything but like f/16 or f/22.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
How does FP4+ compare to Acros? 100 ISO vs 125 ISO isn't a huge leap, especially since I'd be shooting both at 100 anyway. Acros is $1 cheaper per roll, and I've seen some phenomenal stuff with it, but I've never shot it personally. I guess I should just order some and shoot it and stop being a ween.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

QPZIL posted:

How does FP4+ compare to Acros? 100 ISO vs 125 ISO isn't a huge leap, especially since I'd be shooting both at 100 anyway. Acros is $1 cheaper per roll, and I've seen some phenomenal stuff with it, but I've never shot it personally. I guess I should just order some and shoot it and stop being a ween.

Acros is a magical film made of pixie dust and fairy wings. That said, it's a tabular grain film, so if you prefer the more traditional "look" of cubic grain, FP4+ is what you want.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

QPZIL posted:

Acros is T-grain like Delta 100 or T-Max, FP4 is traditional grain.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

eggsovereasy posted:

If you want the grain and contrast then it makes sense, but without a ND filter it would be hard to take pictures at anything but like f/16 or f/22.

Then shoot a 100 film at 400 or something. I don't know.

QPZIL posted:

I've found FP4 to be flatter in contrast than Acros. Acros has a nicer punch to it without going overboard. I think Acros has more of a "classic" look to it in that when most people think of the look of black and white film photography, it's more like Acros than FP4. I know FP4 is the "traditional" grained film, but that's what I find. But then again that's just my opinion being a huge fan of Acros.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Cool, that's all good to hear cause I just ordered some Acros to go along with my HP5 and Delta3200. :unsmith:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

HPL posted:

Then shoot a 100 film at 400 or something. I don't know.

I don't know either, I've not done it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

HPL posted:

Yeah it does, but I was using it at 3200 as I was walking around in all sorts of lighting conditions, from full-sun to heavy shade/night. Just as eggsovereasy said, I was going for the high contrast/grain look to get away from what I've been shooting lately. Here's a couple with not so great lighting conditions:

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Is there any cheap B&W film still in production or is it all acros and delta now?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

unleash the unicorn posted:

Is there any cheap B&W film still in production or is it all acros and delta now?

A number of Kodak films, Fuji films, Ilford films... there's also Freestylephoto's Arista lines, which are house rebrandings of well-known films sold at a lower cost.

For example, Arista Premium 400 is the exact same film stock as Kodak Tri-X 400, just relabeled.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Talking 120, Acros is pretty cheap at $3.20/roll but there's also Lucky SHD and Arista EDU for under $3/roll. Is that not cheap enough?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
There's Shanghai GP3 as well, but it's more of a loving around film than for anything serious. Acros is still king when it comes to bang for the buck.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Talking 120, Acros is pretty cheap at $3.20/roll but there's also Lucky SHD and Arista EDU for under $3/roll. Is that not cheap enough?

Not really.... Mainly looking for something extremely cheap to gently caress around with.

I guess the days of 1$ per roll are over

also I just bought a Nikon FE on Ebay so I'm primarily interested in 135 which seems to be even more expensive than 120 for some reason

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Not really.... Mainly looking for something extremely cheap to gently caress around with.

also I just bought a Nikon FE on Ebay so I'm primarily interested in 135 which seems to be even more expensive than 120 for some reason

What the hell film could you buy for $1/roll? You could always try eBay, looking at expired film lots. Same with Craigslist.

Also, you have to remember that 120 film can fit 10-14 or so shots on it, while 135 film can fit 24-36. Plus it's in a plastic cartridge. Plus it's got higher demand. All those things add up to ever-so-slightly more expensive.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

I'm pretty sure there was a time when the cheapest consumer film was dirt cheap...

I might be wrong though, I wasn't that interested in photography back then

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

You can find deals on consumer stuff like Gold or Superia for around $2 a roll sometimes.

EDIT:
They're generally 24 exposure rolls though.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Cheapest film i know of is the Rollei stuff from Macodirect. Superpan 200 as low as €2.38 per roll when you buy a box of 20. Most can be had around €3.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2%7C0&ci=2545&N=4294548524&srtclk=sort

gold and fujicolor are $2/roll for 35mm 24 exposure

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Looks like Fuji is raising prices "substantially" though...

http://photorumors.com/2012/04/24/fuji-to-increase-the-price-of-film-on-may-20th/

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

On my local craigslist someone is claiming to be selling a Leica M6 LHSA 25th anniversary edition kit. This includes an M6 with 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm summicron lenses along with some fancy boxes. KEH has the 35mm f/2 for over $2k on it's own and this guy is only asking $2,200 for the entire kit so I'm assuming this is a scam (or he left off a zero :D), but I'm going to send an email anyway.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

You could always try trusty old Fomapan 100, in 35mm format, 36 shots for €2.03 a roll, and shipping is quick and cheap from https://www.fomafoto.com

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

Spedman posted:

You could always try trusty old Fomapan 100, in 35mm format, 36 shots for €2.03 a roll, and shipping is quick and cheap from https://www.fomafoto.com
That looks great, ty

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

eggsovereasy posted:

On my local craigslist someone is claiming to be selling a Leica M6 LHSA 25th anniversary edition kit. This includes an M6 with 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm summicron lenses along with some fancy boxes. KEH has the 35mm f/2 for over $2k on it's own and this guy is only asking $2,200 for the entire kit so I'm assuming this is a scam (or he left off a zero :D), but I'm going to send an email anyway.

Go inspect it. Even though it seems to good to be true I can't think how the scam works unless you can't inspect it.

To the guy who was asking about first rangefinders, I enjoyed using my Kiev 4a a lot. But it was mechanically junk and would snap every third film. The Jupiter 8 lens was sharp as hell though, but I hear those can be as hit and miss as Russian bodies.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Local thrift has an Omega B-22 enlarger for $75.

http://imgur.com/vEdnU
http://imgur.com/AsFqj

This would be my first enlarger. Looks to be in immaculate condition.

Is this a good deal, or inappropriate for any other reason?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's a good enlarger, but kind of barebones and that's a pretty high price. It doesn't have a dichro colorhead and it will only do 6x6. You can pick up 4x5 enlargers for a song on Craigslist, mine was $0 and included a bunch of poo poo with it but they can very frequently be found for $100 or so. The accessories will nickel and dime you to death: make sure it has whatever negative carriers you're interested in, otherwise they're probably $40 a pop if you can find them. That enlarger might be iffy on 6x6 and definitely won't do 6x7 or 6x9. On the other hand, it's smaller and will generate less heat than a 4x5.

My take would be, probably not worth more than say $25 unless it comes with a boatload of the crap you're going to need to actually get printing. I'd hold out for at least a 2x3/6x9 size enlarger.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
^^What Paul Said^^

I've seen those go for $50 with an entire darkroom setup including some chemicals. It's a thrift store so you could probably haggle it down, but I wouldn't take it for more than $20.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
To give a idea of the deals that can be found: I got 2 enlargers (opemus 6 and Durst M601) a Schneider Comparon-S enlarger lens, all accesories (development trays, tongs, timers, lamps, film clips, 5 film development tanks, labware), colour head for the Durst, extra negative carriers etc etc for €20.
If you look around you can pick up someone's complete darkroom for $50.

Spedman posted:

Their paper seems really cheap as well. I'll definitely picking some of it up to try it out.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

Their paper seems really cheap as well. I'll definitely picking some of it up to try it out.

I tried a pack of Foma fixed-grade RC paper and one thing I noticed is that the blacks are really black. Also, it's graded as a hard paper, and it seems like it's harder than Ilford grade 5, but I haven't properly tested. It works pretty well for doing b/w prints from colour negatives.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Going back a bit, but talking about dirt-cheap film: the cheapest film I've used was free. Other, very generous Dorkroomers sent me a couple of rolls a while ago, for various reasons. Ebay expired lots are good fun, but the free stuff comes from somebody you know either in real life (e.g. make friends with the owner of a camera store shortly before they go out of business or clear out old inventory) or on-line (i.e. here).

If you can justify the up-front capital costs for a winder and losing a roll or two while you learn how to do it, you can get the price per roll down pretty low for new film by buying 100-foot strips and cutting them down to roll size, reloading cannisters. I haven't tried it yet, but there are at least a couple of Dorkroomers here who do this.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

About how many 36 exposure rolls can you get from a 100 foot bulk roll?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

eggsovereasy posted:

About how many 36 exposure rolls can you get from a 100 foot bulk roll?

Typically 18, maybe one or two more. You can definitely save money, but you have to be pretty careful to avoid light leaks. Some bulk cannisters are not 100% light tight, I've found.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Went out with a roll of slightly expired Ektachrome, a 4x5 field camera, and a 6x9 reducing back.

Jessie by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Ok, I just developed my first batch of 4X5 and I got nothing. Literally nothing on the sheets. I tried putting in two back to back and I'm wondering if maybe I accidentally put them in facing because they were stuck together and were mostly still coated with grey.

Two questions here.

On sheet film, if the notices are in the upper right corner, the emulsion side should be facing me, right? When you load them in to the film holders, you load with the notices in the upper right, which makes the emulsion face the dark slide, and eventually the light. Is that correct?

When you're developing, at what point can you turn the lights back on? I thought I read in this thread that once you've dumped out the developer, you were ok to remove the lid of the tank to wash and then do fixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

squidflakes posted:

When you're developing, at what point can you turn the lights back on? I thought I read in this thread that once you've dumped out the developer, you were ok to remove the lid of the tank to wash and then do fixing.

It's not safe until after the fixer. Also, don't stick sheets together - that's just asking for trouble. Use the "taco method" if you don't have a specialized 4x5 film holder.