Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

And with that, it's time for a mystical journey to CC!

Hi, CC! Come check out our photos and maybe tell us what you think of them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroszek
Apr 3, 2007

Ceci n'est pas un paresseux

rio posted:

Spring can really hang you up the most by cadence440, on Flickr

I was sitting at my computer yesterday and outside the window this bird kept flying in to sit on the rain gutter. Each time he looked more and more haggard - this was one of the later shots of it all drenched. Some of the earlier shots had more of a rain effect in the background and more raindrops hanging on the roof, but the bird's expression I thought trumped those background details. I had a bit more room on all sides, if it seems like the crop doesn't work. I was also tempted to go b&w, but the color of the bird was a nice contrast from the background and overall tone, so I decided to keep it color.

I really like this picture, but you mentioned the bird was a nice contrast from the background, and that's because in terms of blocks of color, the dark tones are centered on the bird and vaguely distributed in the underside of the structure. This is just coming from a amateur painter's perspective, if this were a painting of mine, i'd want to have the direction of flow suggested by the pipe and the shadows on the structure's underside lead to something specific, since my eyes are naturally led there; it would serve as a further contrast to the bird.

~cultural exchange~

Stroszek fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 24, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think I may have posted one of these in the previous snapshot a day thread (checked the current locked one and they're not there), so apologies in advance if you've seen them before:

_MG_0959.jpg by AxelDR, on Flickr

I like the concept here, but the background is so busy that it's hard to focus on the skateboarder. Maybe if he was wearing a different colored shirt and pants, something that popped out from a blue/purple backgrounds, but right now he gets lost in the clutter.

I don't normally shoot portraits of any kind, but I like how this came out.

A wild hippie strikes. by MrDespair, on Flickr

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I am visiting this thread because of the Cultural Exchange, I typically browse the sketch-a-day thread.

I know absolutely nothing about photography, so I don't know if I can offer any critiques, but maybe something from a drawing/painting perspective.

HookShot posted:

I love this photo, it's very dramatic, haunting, almost sinister. I think that's because of the b&w. This would make a great graphite drawing. I like that it has almost the "golden ratio" aspect as well.

Oprah Haza posted:

I think this is great. Two things, I wish the background was darker and she had a warmer light on her. It's very Rembrandt-esq, you have that whole chiaroscuro thing going on.

Trambopaline posted:

This is also Rembrandt-esq, reminds me of his self-portraits. I do wish the scarf wasn't so crisp. It feels like the face needs to be more in focus. and maybe a bit warmer light on the face to get more detail on that right side, at least so the eye is less in shadow.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I love this cultural exchange already. It's great having a different perspective on our work.

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?
Another Drawing-a-Day resident here! I think this exchange thing is a pretty cool idea.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Baa by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

I love this. The contrast between the crispness of the foreground and the very painterly reflections in the water works really well. The water looks just like ink and salt washes, all blurred and spotted. Great palette, too, especially that mustard and teal, and the way the trees work as arrows towards the sheep.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

A wild hippie strikes. by MrDespair, on Flickr

I like this a lot. I think the central composition actually works. We're losing a lot of detail on the torso though. Some fill light, or an adjustment brush to up the exposure there would help get some back. Also, maybe it's just me, but have you considered adding a bit of colour to the image? I rarely leave stuff purely greyscale, it's worth experimenting a bit with shadow split-toning in case there's a colour that better fits the mood of the image.

Since the cultural exchange is on the go I'm going to post some old stuff:

Hús by fuglsnef, on Flickr

61/366 - The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems by fuglsnef, on Flickr

53/366 - Church Bells by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

David Pratt posted:

Extremely nitpicky, but have you considered cloning out the bits of green at the top? For some reason I find them a tad distracting.
I like this one, but the extra white at the right keeps pulling my eyes to that side of the picture.

David Pratt posted:

53/366 - Church Bells by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Love this one, the lines work together really well.

Mr. Despair posted:

I like the concept here, but the background is so busy that it's hard to focus on the skateboarder. Maybe if he was wearing a different colored shirt and pants, something that popped out from a blue/purple backgrounds, but right now he gets lost in the clutter.

I have these as well from that day; I always liked that one because of the guy's pose but yeah, you're right about the colours. It's specially noticeable when thumbnailed, when looking at it in LR it was much better. :( Maybe I could get a triptych going with these. Hmmm...

_MG_0939.jpg by AxelDR, on Flickr

_MG_0944.jpg by AxelDR, on Flickr

_MG_0890.jpg by AxelDR, on Flickr

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 25, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

David Pratt posted:

I like this a lot. I think the central composition actually works. We're losing a lot of detail on the torso though. Some fill light, or an adjustment brush to up the exposure there would help get some back. Also, maybe it's just me, but have you considered adding a bit of colour to the image? I rarely leave stuff purely greyscale, it's worth experimenting a bit with shadow split-toning in case there's a colour that better fits the mood of the image.

Since the cultural exchange is on the go I'm going to post some old stuff:

It was shot with black and white film, so there isn't much color to find, and adding color with split toning just looks weird to me. Nothing I've tried before, but I tried messing around with it in light room and couldn't get anything that I liked.

Here's a version with the levels tweaked a bit though. I still prefer the darker version myself, I think the bolder colors outweigh the detail in the sweatshirt (since there isn't much there).

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Edmond Dantes posted:

Extremely nitpicky, but have you considered cloning out the bits of green at the top? For some reason I find them a tad distracting.

I like this one, but the extra white at the right keeps pulling my eyes to that side of the picture.

Love this one, the lines work together really well.

I have these as well from that day; I always liked that one because of the guy's pose but yeah, you're right about the colours. It's specially noticeable when thumbnailed, when looking at it in LR it was much better. :( Maybe I could get a triptych going with these. Hmmm...

I'll say what someone said before, I think the first two are neat but it sucks that they blend so much with the background. The third one is better for that. Maybe a strobe pointed at the background would of have helped? (Not sure). The square crop does work for me tho!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

rio posted:

Other than the obvious safety issue here, what were you looking to do with this picture? Please don't take this the wrong way, but the beer can on the lawn, the woman and the weedwacking near the baby all make this not a particularly flattering document of this family's life, but maybe I am misunderstanding the point of the picture. I also want to say that I am not trying to be a dick here and I would hope that if the situation was reversed and I was just trying to get a nice photo of my family that someone would point out the things I should think about changing to get better shots in the future.

-----

Ok, luckily I have had more editing time lately, so I am going to skip some older shots in favor of getting some advice about more recent endeavors.

Wisteria by cadence440, on Flickr

This came from a group of test shots after getting a new lens, but I liked it enough to try to make something out of it. I see shots of certain things sometimes and think "that's pretty", but I would like to try to start differentiating between just shooting a flower and having something that is interesting to look at.

Hidden Field by cadence440, on Flickr

Similar problem with landscapes - I haven't tried to shoot too many landscapes, so I am trying to only keep shots that I think might be something interesting. This was the one out of about 20 shots of this place that I decided to keep - trying to just toss anything that is not the best of a batch. Also, a little back story, I was out exploring and found what I thought was a walking/bike path and there was this field partway through. After about 10 minutes on this path I came to the end and it was some dude's house...it was just a really long driveway.

Ascending by cadence440, on Flickr

I think I like this one; it has been cropped and worked on as best I could from a kit lens shot of three geese, so it is not as good as it could have been with a zoom.

I don't think you're being a dick. I have failed as an artist to make the meaning of my photograph clear. That was not meant to be a nice family snapshot. Instead it was meant to be the exact opposite. My intentions were for you to view this photo and have it make you feel uneasy about the situation. I have received a fair amount of critique on the photo, and while some people were able to guess the intent, it still failed on a few levels.

One thing you should do when taking photos of pretty things just for the sake of it is to consider the background. Try to align your subject in a way that the background makes a good contrast with the subject and isn't distracting. This includes thing like poles sticking out of peoples heads and that sort of thing. Also a shallower depth of field to separate the subject from the background would help.

Landscapes are best taken when the light is interesting and compliments the land. This is normally in the early morning or late evening when the sun is low in the sky. What you have here is really bright and while it's not ugly, it's suffering from harsh light.

The goose photo is pretty good. The placement of the bird in the frame and the timing of it's wings works really well.

Here is a photo of mine.

2012-109 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

liwet posted:

Another Drawing-a-Day resident here! I think this exchange thing is a pretty cool idea.

I love this. The contrast between the crispness of the foreground and the very painterly reflections in the water works really well. The water looks just like ink and salt washes, all blurred and spotted. Great palette, too, especially that mustard and teal, and the way the trees work as arrows towards the sheep.
Thanks! It is great getting crit from a different perspective!

TomR posted:

Here is a photo of mine.

Haha! That is pretty cool Tom. You used perspective well to get the size of the T-Rex right. The tail of the other dinosaur makes me think of some crazy tornado. If the head and neck looked slightly more cloud-like I think it would be even better.

------

Crown Terrace by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Scott Kelby says you shouldn't take dead tree photos but screw him ;)

20120418-_MG_8883-Edit.jpg by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

This one is quite a departure from my normal style, and had quite a lot of processing done. I was going for a moody, atmospheric, slightly abstract forest shot.

The Woods are Dark and Full of Grain by euannz, on Flickr

I love the idea - I too like and have tried the dark and moody forest shot - but it's really too dark. Maybe it's just my monitor at work, but all I see are sillouhuettes and brief hints of light; maybe that's the idea, but to my senses, it's just a little bit too far. I think it's the absence of detail in the trees that's doing it to me, as if the levels look like a U and there's nothing between dark and light.

----

Will we get drawn and quartered for posting Instagram shots? Just curious for now. Best camera is the one you have with you, and all that.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

harperdc posted:

Will we get drawn and quartered for posting Instagram shots? Just curious for now. Best camera is the one you have with you, and all that.

Normally I'd say no entirely, but in the interests of cultural tolerance and such, I think it's okay if it's a REALLY GOOD cellphone pic. Also this only applies to CC posters :v:

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

TomR posted:

Here is a photo of mine.

I think you need more DoF around the T-Rex if you want it to look life sized.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Augmented Dickey posted:

I feel like you're being neglected.

1. This is dope. I love, love, love the tonal range and composition. The rays of light pouring in overhead balance the weight of this photo perfectly for me. There's a really cool dreamlike and timeless quality going on here.

2/3. Technically well shot, but the SUV is really distracting and takes me out of the image. The last one is just kinda boring. Try thinking about context when shooting static objects, even if only vaguely implied.

Hotwax Residue posted:

Crown Terrace by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Scott Kelby says you shouldn't take dead tree photos but screw him ;)

1. This feels a little too weighted to the right because of where the hills fall off and the horizon being a little crooked. This is nitpicky stuff for the sake of being nitpicky. It's a landscape and it works. You do these well.

2. This one just seems like it's begging to have more dynamic range or a greater feeling of depth. Maybe dodge some of the highlights a bit more, especially in the background hills, it might help frame the tree better and pop some of the secondary focal points. As an optional homework assignment: after taking a shot like this, try doing it again, but spreading it over 4-10 photos and stitch 'em together (just to humour me!). Shots like this are just begging for MF/LF depth of field control.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I had some fun with a roll Portra 160 and my new FM2n

. .

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Schofferhofer posted:

I think you need more DoF around the T-Rex if you want it to look life sized.

I was trying to figure out what was off about that photo, and that's it. A stop or two higher aperature would increase the DOF and make the T-Rex look less "toyish".

edit-- here, I'll share a couple shots from my latest trip to the US National Whitewater Center

WWC by iantuten, on Flickr

Whitewater Center by iantuten, on Flickr

I feel like the colors are a bit off in the second one. Maybe a bit too magenta, but it was as the sun was starting to set so I'm not sure. First shot was on 35mm Ektar, second was on 120 Portra 160NC.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 25, 2012

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

aliencowboy posted:

I feel like you're being neglected.

1. This is dope. I love, love, love the tonal range and composition. The rays of light pouring in overhead balance the weight of this photo perfectly for me. There's a really cool dreamlike and timeless quality going on here.

2/3. Technically well shot, but the SUV is really distracting and takes me out of the image. The last one is just kinda boring. Try thinking about context when shooting static objects, even if only vaguely implied.

1. This feels a little too weighted to the right because of where the hills fall off and the horizon being a little crooked. This is nitpicky stuff for the sake of being nitpicky. It's a landscape and it works. You do these well.

2. This one just seems like it's begging to have more dynamic range or a greater feeling of depth. Maybe dodge some of the highlights a bit more, especially in the background hills, it might help frame the tree better and pop some of the secondary focal points. As an optional homework assignment: after taking a shot like this, try doing it again, but spreading it over 4-10 photos and stitch 'em together (just to humour me!). Shots like this are just begging for MF/LF depth of field control.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

. .

Hey Ottawa buddy! Where do you get your rolls developed? :)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

I like that the composition doesn't make it plainly obvious what the subject is: you can certainly see it after looking at a bit, but it's very easy to discard that thought and let your imagination go where it will: I'm reminded of the very beginning of a nuclear explosion or a star burning in space. I wish the depth of field was a bit less shallow; if the foam on the sides was in focus it'd be easier to see the whole image as flat.

I tried wandering around at night to see how well I could do shooting wide open the whole time. I didn't get much that looks great full-size, but shrunken some are alright.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Mr. Despair posted:

It was shot with black and white film, so there isn't much color to find, and adding color with split toning just looks weird to me. Nothing I've tried before, but I tried messing around with it in light room and couldn't get anything that I liked.

Here's a version with the levels tweaked a bit though. I still prefer the darker version myself, I think the bolder colors outweigh the detail in the sweatshirt (since there isn't much there).

In the edited version you've changed the image globally, so the contrast has suffered. I'd have made a mask of just the sweatshirt and reduced the contrast/upped the exposure on that, leaving the rest of the image alone because it already looks good.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

xenilk posted:

Hey Ottawa buddy! Where do you get your rolls developed? :)

GPC Labworks on Bank Street, it's next door to the Henry's.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

TomR posted:

I really dig this, but I do feel that the blacks are too deep on the in-focus dinosaur. Maybe burn a tiny bit near the tail to bring it out?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Wafflecopper posted:

This one is quite a departure from my normal style, and had quite a lot of processing done. I was going for a moody, atmospheric, slightly abstract forest shot.

The Woods are Dark and Full of Grain by euannz, on Flickr

Landscapes are something I'm trying to get better at. I posted one in this thread a while back and it was critiqued (quite fairly) for having awkward composition. How is the composition in this one? Also it was obviously a cloudy day with flat lighting which I know isn't generally considered ideal for traditional landscape photography but I thought the mist and clouds gave a shot a kind of spooky, ethereal feel. However I did have to mess around with some graduated filters in lightroom to make the shot less flat. Did I pull it off?

Lake Manapouri 2 by euannz, on Flickr

I think your first one as said before is too black, you need a bit more shadow detail in the shot. I actually tried to do a similar shot that I'll post below.

I enjoy your lake shot, the best aspect is the composition. Perhaps not the best foreground but not much you can do there.

My shots:

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

. .
Thanks ac. The horizon in the first one is tricky and I struggled with it not looking straight. The foreground actually slops away and is separated from the hill by a river. But I agree about the weight for sure. I'll have another crack at that tree.

I love the simplicity of your second two shots. Who knew a pair of shoes could be interesting! The only nitpick I have is the sky in the third shot is a little bright and drags my eye away from the beautiful tones of the car. Great work as per usual.

fivre posted:

I tried wandering around at night to see how well I could do shooting wide open the whole time. I didn't get much that looks great full-size, but shrunken some are alright.
I like the colour and the over all composition. But that pole on the right hand side shouldn't be there. It blocks the eye from looking down the alley, and because the two people are heading in that direction that is where I want to look. What's down there? Where are they going? etc.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

David Pratt posted:

This is gorgeous. The half-blue half-green square composition, the contrasting textures of the water, shore, and grass, all of it. The farmhouse is just kinda there and makes sense visually, but I for some reason I'm not really drawn towards it at all; but it works and I think the image might suffer a little without it, so I guess it's all good in the end.

Hotwax Residue posted:

I think the crop may be a little too close on this one. The tree is interesting, but not necessarily enough to stand on its own. Framing the shot so tightly more or less turns the background into visual noise. The shot as it stands could probably have worked better with an incredibly shallow depth of field, but the large DOF that you have almost requires there to be a lot more of the surrounding environment included for context. And the foreground seems a little short, and also could've benefited a bit from stepping back and including more of the landscape.

Munkaboo posted:

A handsome little spot-nosed guenon.
The fact that it's face is so close to the left side and looking out of the frame leaves the right side feeling somewhat empty, neglected and boring, even if there is technically something there. It's part of the animal and should draw at least some visual interest, but it's gaze draws your eyes in the opposite direction. A much stronger composition would probably be for it to be looking in towards the rest of the frame, and even better if you can fill the empty space in front of its face with something visually relevant, if not particularly eyecatching or distracting; a 'pose' where it's looking back across its body (almost over the shoulder) is something I usually try to capture.
And generally, animal portraits are much more engaging when taken at eye level; unfortunately, that vantage point is not always available with zoo exhibits.

And now for a few of my own.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

William T. Hornaday posted:

This is gorgeous. The half-blue half-green square composition, the contrasting textures of the water, shore, and grass, all of it. The farmhouse is just kinda there and makes sense visually, but I for some reason I'm not really drawn towards it at all; but it works and I think the image might suffer a little without it, so I guess it's all good in the end.

I think the crop may be a little too close on this one. The tree is interesting, but not necessarily enough to stand on its own. Framing the shot so tightly more or less turns the background into visual noise. The shot as it stands could probably have worked better with an incredibly shallow depth of field, but the large DOF that you have almost requires there to be a lot more of the surrounding environment included for context. And the foreground seems a little short, and also could've benefited a bit from stepping back and including more of the landscape.

A handsome little spot-nosed guenon.
The fact that it's face is so close to the left side and looking out of the frame leaves the right side feeling somewhat empty, neglected and boring, even if there is technically something there. It's part of the animal and should draw at least some visual interest, but it's gaze draws your eyes in the opposite direction. A much stronger composition would probably be for it to be looking in towards the rest of the frame, and even better if you can fill the empty space in front of its face with something visually relevant, if not particularly eyecatching or distracting; a 'pose' where it's looking back across its body (almost over the shoulder) is something I usually try to capture.
And generally, animal portraits are much more engaging when taken at eye level; unfortunately, that vantage point is not always available with zoo exhibits.

Is this better?

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
In my personal opinion, yeah, it's better.

Though I might be tempted to go even closer and give it a little upward boost to keep from falling out of the frame.

I dunno. I may not really know what I'm talking about. Grain of salt.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

In my personal opinion, yeah, it's better.

Though I might be tempted to go even closer and give it a little upward boost to keep from falling out of the frame.

I dunno. I may not really know what I'm talking about. Grain of salt.

No no. I think you *do* know what you're talking about, because I like that version even better. Also it has kind of opened my eyes (again) to what a little cropping can do.

Okay I'll get back out and stop derailing PAD now.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010

Polegrinder posted:

This is also Rembrandt-esq, reminds me of his self-portraits. I do wish the scarf wasn't so crisp. It feels like the face needs to be more in focus. and maybe a bit warmer light on the face to get more detail on that right side, at least so the eye is less in shadow.

Hmm yeah. It's really dumb when you finish everything and you realise major technical flaws. I do see it now, as I was just playing with shadows because a more hard lighting type set up has been my latest obsession but it is a little too severe. Will try later when I get more time.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

TomR posted:

Here is a photo of mine.

I love the hell out of this photo in both concept and execution, but I feel like it's just a little too dark. The lighting adds a lot of drama to the scene, but I think you could show a little more detail without having a detrimental impact.

I went out with a photographer friend to a ghost town outside of Vegas and tried shooting some still-life. I pretty much feel super uncomfortable shooting anything that isn't people or animals, so I really didn't know what the gently caress I was doing, but I came out with a couple that I like. The excavator teeth one is probably my favorite shot I've taken in months, but I can't really articulate why. The best I can think to say is that I really like photos of pedestrian objects that are composed in such a way that they call to mind completely unrelated images, and I think the teeth do that to a degree. I suppose the nut photo also looks like a face, but I find that less compelling.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Well let's see what we have here. First of all, love the concept of shooting on an abandoned place, as it allows you to give new life / shape to things. Wish I had some nearby.

The first image is the one I like the most, precisely because of its anthropomorphic features. Wish the right "eye" was more in focus though, and the foreground of a color other than rust. But I like the shot very much nonetheless.

The second image.. I don't like it very much. Can't find a pattern of shapes or colors than make it worthwhile.

The third image has the potential of being powerful, but I think the crop pretty much negates that. It could have looked like a dead hand coming out of the soil, but we don't see enough of the "hand" to make the analogy work.

Does this all make sense to you? I did like the pictures 1 and 3, but I wanted to provide some critics.

As for my own pic, here's one I shot today. More like a lucky encounter, but it's all I got. :)

Blackbird on Flickr

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Edmond Dantes posted:

I agree with the other guy who said the first two blend in too much with the background. Do you have a longer/faster lens to create a bit of background blur? Have you tried longer shutter speeds to blur the background/get a sense of motion?

At first glance I thought the green goo was the remains of a poor frog... :)

- - -

I really like the idea of putting this in CC. CC, please tear me a new one:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ringo R posted:

I agree with the other guy who said the first two blend in too much with the background. Do you have a longer/faster lens to create a bit of background blur? Have you tried longer shutter speeds to blur the background/get a sense of motion?

- - -

The first shot has a great eerily empty feel, I really like this shot.

The second and third together create an interesting effect that almost hurt my eyes trying to seperate the lines, but seperately I think the third achieves the same effect stronger than the second.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

xenilk posted:

I'll say what someone said before, I think the first two are neat but it sucks that they blend so much with the background. The third one is better for that. Maybe a strobe pointed at the background would of have helped? (Not sure). The square crop does work for me tho!

Ringo R posted:

This was one of those cases of "you don't see it until it's pointed out to you", but yeah, the background was a bad choice. I didn't really have another option, the guys were practicing against that wall and I thought it was a cool background (I didn't have the flash at the moment and I honestly wouldn't have thought of using it to lighten the wall), but yeah, you can really lose the skaters against it. Thanks again for the input.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

maxmars posted:

As for my own pic, here's one I shot today. More like a lucky encounter, but it's all I got. :)

Blackbird on Flickr

OK, I have only recently taken up photography and am not very comfortable critiquing other people so take this with a grain of salt. I'm going to use the framework in the OP of the thread.
First Impressions:
I like it! The expression on his face made me smile, and the photo immediately puts me in the situation of a chance encounter with a wild animal.
Technical:
All seems perfect to me, it's in focus, exposed well, DoF isolates the subject perfectly.
Artistic:
Composition is good. I kind of wish there was a bit more going on in the picture to look at though, or the background was a bit more interesting. As it stands it seems like a very well-taken snapshot. Obviously it's near-impossible to control that with a wild bird though :).

Mine:

16/04 by waaarg, on Flickr
I like this shot but I'm not really sure why. I'm also not sure about the bus, the text seems a bit distracting.

I think my above criticism of maxmars' photo could apply to this one, I'm not sure if the image is strong enough to stand without an obvious story.

I would love some feedback on the processing of this one, I have no real idea what I am doing with b/w conversions.

onezero
Nov 20, 2003

veritas vos liberabit

Waarg posted:

I would love some feedback on the processing of this one, I have no real idea what I am doing with b/w conversions.

I think you did pretty well with the conversion. Tones are well balanced, especially the in bottom 3/4ths of the frame, nice textures showing up too.

I do think the top part, with the cameras, did get a little too blown out though. It's close, but the top of each camera doesn't have quite enough definition to pop out from the white wall behind it. You might be able to do some local adjustments to fix it.

Good work, and keep shooting.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

Ringo R posted:

- - -

That first shot is awesome. The ambiance/vibe and colors are just right, I like it.

The second and third are neat but I feel a bit overwhelmed by the third one, too much information/brightness maybe? Or it's just me being weird. ha ha :)

Here are some of my latests:

IMG_4535 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3999 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4400 by avoyer, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xenilk posted:

Here are some of my latests:

IMG_4535 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3999 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_4400 by avoyer, on Flickr

Love the first one.

I really like the second one but the lens flare makes it look like there is a giant coffee stain on his jacket.

The third one I really enjoy looking at, it's framed well. I just wish it was a tad sharper, it seems just a touch too soft.

--

Should I clone out the crud in the water? I think I'm done shooting birds for now.

drink by jankyangles, on Flickr

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 29, 2012

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

Waarg posted:

Mine:

I like this shot but I'm not really sure why. I'm also not sure about the bus, the text seems a bit distracting.
I'm not sure it's the text in particular that's throwing this off, rather than the overall composition being a bit unstable. I think just the bus and the building might have worked because they've both got strong vertical lines, but the diagonals of the other roof are unbalancing it.

quote:

I think my above criticism of maxmars' photo could apply to this one, I'm not sure if the image is strong enough to stand without an obvious story.
I like this a lot. I don't know if it needs a story other than the bird sitting up there like a boss. It's got a nice strong diagonal leading from the bottom right to the top left that draws the eye through the frame to the subject. If I were to change anything, I'd clone out the poles in the bottom left.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Should I clone out the crude in the water? I think I'm done shooting birds for now.

drink by jankyangles, on Flickr

Lovely colours, but yeah I think you're right: cloning out the specs in the water would definitely improve it. I'd have preferred the duck to be closer to the top right so he's swimming into the frame more.

I spent the last couple of hours mucking about with my flash, ended up using a one of those cardboard tubes whisky bottles come in as a snoot, worked a treat :) I can't tell which one of these is better, please make my decisions for me!

Lit from above self portrait #1 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Lit from above self portrait #2 by fuglsnef, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

David Pratt posted:

I'd have preferred the duck to be closer to the top right so he's swimming into the frame more.

Argh, I hadn't even thought of that. I get wicked tunnel vision when I'm processing bird shots because of the sheer amount of crap I have to throw out that I completely forget about composition 101. :saddowns:

Thanks a million, you're a life saver.