Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

DNova posted:

If it's cpanel and the old one is your "main" domain name you might be best off contacting support for this.

Not much other choice basically. On cPanel the primary domain is tied to the account when it is created. Add-on domains can be moved around easily and pointed to whatever directory. Adding the new domain as an add-on would work (point it to public_html), but your account will still be listed as the old domain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am looking for some hosting. Its somewhat different from my regular reselling hosting in that it will be a backend for a large iPhone app were launching. I probably want VPS and some redundancy. Can I get 2 VPS deals and sync them? Could that share the load so I dont rape bandwidth on one account?

Any good deals / Goon Deals?

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over
I've been going through the painfully slow process of transferring over 80 websites from Inmotion since they went down for a couple hours 2 weeks ago. I'm about half way through.

Then InMotion goes down again today, and my phone has been ringing off the hook with pissed of customers still on their servers. gently caress Inmotion, they are the worst loving host I've ever dealt with.

On top of this all, I'm going to eat around $600 as InMotion keeps my empty servers online for the rest of the year.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Any recommendations for good DNS hosting and registration? I've been with dreamhost for 6 years, and it's time to upgrade. I'm going to serve content from my VPS, but I need to find a new company to handle my website registrations and DNS hosting. Thanks guys!

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

wanderlost posted:

Any recommendations for good DNS hosting and registration? I've been with dreamhost for 6 years, and it's time to upgrade. I'm going to serve content from my VPS, but I need to find a new company to handle my website registrations and DNS hosting. Thanks guys!

DNS

http://dns.he.net/
http://freedns.afraid.org
http://aws.amazon.com/route53/

Domain registrars

http://www.namecheap.com/
https://www.gandi.net/

mix and match

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

thegasman2000 posted:

I probably want VPS and some redundancy. Can I get 2 VPS deals and sync them?

"Sync" what, and how? What are you trying to achieve?

thegasman2000 posted:

Could that share the load so I dont rape bandwidth on one account?

Just choose an appropriate VPS in the first place rather than bodging together some goontastic solution on a shoestring.

intoVPS is $10/mo for 500gb/mo bw. Unless you're averaging >1.6mbps or not making like 3 app sales a month, I don't see what's wrong with that deal.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

I use he.net for dns, and namecheap for domains and SSL certs, and it's been great.

thegasman2000 posted:

I am looking for some hosting. Its somewhat different from my regular reselling hosting in that it will be a backend for a large iPhone app were launching. I probably want VPS and some redundancy. Can I get 2 VPS deals and sync them? Could that share the load so I dont rape bandwidth on one account?

Linode allows you to pool bandwidth across your VPSes, so if you got a couple Linodes to load balance with you'd be sharing their total bandwidth. But depending on what kind of syncing you need to do, that could eat into your bandwidth.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

thegasman2000 posted:

Linode offers NodeBalancers that do exactly what you want.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

dvgrhl posted:

I use he.net for dns, and namecheap for domains and SSL certs, and it's been great.

Linode allows you to pool bandwidth across your VPSes, so if you got a couple Linodes to load balance with you'd be sharing their total bandwidth. But depending on what kind of syncing you need to do, that could eat into your bandwidth.

Thats exactly what I was trying to ask for but had no idea what to say! Thanks for deciphering my garbage!

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Is Namecheap a Goon recommended registrar for .com and .co.uk domains? If not who should I go for?
A company that isn't going to try and screw me two years from now is more important than getting the cheapest possible price.

All I need it for is personal email and the very occasional hosting of work related files, have pretty much settled on hosting with Lithium Hosting.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Stupid Decisions posted:

Is Namecheap a Goon recommended registrar for .com and .co.uk domains?

yes

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Rufo posted:

yes

Awesome, thanks.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'd rather use gandi, but namecheap is "okay"

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Registrar transfer question. I just received this email from Dotster,

Dotster posted:

Dotster received notification that you have requested a transfer
to another domain name registrar.

If you want to proceed with thistransfer you do not need to
respond to this message.

If you wish to cancel the transfer, please follow the URL below.

https://secure.registerapi.com/order/trx/trxout.php?siteid=xxxx&id=xxxxxx

NOTE: By not visiting the link above, this transfer request will be APPROVED within the next 72 hours.

==================================================================
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not reply to this email for support.
If you have a problem with your transfer and would like to
contact Customer Care, please COPY and PASTE this link into your
browser address bar and follow the support link.

https://secure.registerapi.com/help/?siteid=xxxx

==================================================================

Do I really have to wait 72 hrs for Dotster to decide that I truly want to transfer? I am tempted to follow the top link to see if there is an approval process but I afraid to see a page that says "sucker! no transfer for you!"

I did click the second link but it just takes me to knowledgebase area with questions unrelated to transfers.

Only reason I do not want to wait is that this is already 5 days after I initiated it. And I was wanting to change nameservers for this domain but do not want to do it before it transfers.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

80k posted:

Registrar transfer question. I just received this email from Dotster,

Do I really have to wait 72 hrs for Dotster to decide that I truly want to transfer?

There was a new rule I don't recall how far back that made unlocked domain transfer requests auto approve after a week or so. If you didn't say no, the transfer would auto approve itself. Seems dotster are being lazy shits and using this method to approve transfers instead of allowing you to say yes as soon as the request comes in. Good thing you're moving away.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

edit: wrong thread

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

3spades posted:

There was a new rule I don't recall how far back that made unlocked domain transfer requests auto approve after a week or so. If you didn't say no, the transfer would auto approve itself. Seems dotster are being lazy shits and using this method to approve transfers instead of allowing you to say yes as soon as the request comes in. Good thing you're moving away.

Yea seems expediting is nearly impossible. I am glad to be moving away from them. Also leaving Zoneedit (which is owned by Dotster as well) after their debacle this week, and finally moving to Route 53.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I want to run my own website (inc wiki), email hosting, jabber, but also have some scheduled DB updates that grab data from elsewhere on the internet; I've never done anything exactly like this, but I used to be a [bad] sysadmin.

Is it normal for webhosts to allow everything I would need or would I have to look at more expensive dedicated hosting stuff?
Is there any way to get hosting that might outlive me, suppose I die, or go to prison in 3 years but I want my stuff to hang around for at least another 15?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Crankit posted:

I want to run my own website (inc wiki), email hosting, jabber, but also have some scheduled DB updates that grab data from elsewhere on the internet; I've never done anything exactly like this, but I used to be a [bad] sysadmin.

Is it normal for webhosts to allow everything I would need or would I have to look at more expensive dedicated hosting stuff?
Is there any way to get hosting that might outlive me, suppose I die, or go to prison in 3 years but I want my stuff to hang around for at least another 15?

I think most webhosts would do most of that just fine, not too sure on jabber hosting though. That may require you getting a VPS. As far as being around 15 years down the road, I think you'd have to worry about things like the hosting company still existing then, having payments kept current in your abscence, and patching exploits so the site doesn't get jacked.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
My brother has a business website that he'd like to keep updated himself. He's okay with computers as far as normal stuff like email and fb goes, but he's not any more technical that that. Is there some kind of automated web management software I could get and set up for him to do simple site management online? He has his own domain and webhost, so if there's some kind of ASP or cgi thing I could set up that would be password-protected and would let him just update the text of pages and add pictures on his own, I think that would give him everything he needs.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Wordpress or something. If your host does proper permissions/setuid or whatever, teach him to click "upgrade wordpress" when there's a new version and to not install tons of potentially malware ridden plugins and that's about it

Khorne
May 1, 2002
What vps providers are worth looking at that have reasonable bandwidth pricing? Linode is out of control bandwidth cost wise. 5Mbps is like $5/mo, and to get to that you need to pay an extra ~$100/mo from their basic plan or an extra $40/mo from their $80/mo a plan. It really does not fit my needs at all.

I know burstnet is okay provided you want to talk to support now and then. Some of their nodes have less than stellar uptime. I also hate that I can not use my burstnet vps for irssi+bitlbee+mutt. It's such a deal breaker and they would otherwise be ideal.

What other options are there? I don't require much of anything except bandwidth, and offering some guaranteed cpu would be nice as well. I don't mind paying up to $40/mo. I was all set on going Linode until I found out their "Extras" price for bandwidth is the same as their overage charge. Most of the bandwidth will be going toward a mumble server which has piddly cpu requirements, and all of the uses for the vps are 100% legal.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 8, 2012

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

What vps providers are worth looking at that have reasonable bandwidth pricing? Linode is out of control bandwidth cost wise. 5Mbps is like $5/mo, and to get to that you need to pay an extra ~$100/mo from their basic plan or an extra $40/mo from their $80/mo a plan. It really does not fit my needs at all.

I know burstnet is okay provided you want to talk to support now and then. Some of their nodes have less than stellar uptime. I also hate that I can not use my burstnet vps for irssi+bitlbee+mutt. It's such a deal breaker and they would otherwise be ideal.

What other options are there? I don't require much of anything except bandwidth, and offering some guaranteed cpu would be nice as well. I don't mind paying up to $40/mo. I was all set on going Linode until I found out their "Extras" price for bandwidth is the same as their overage charge.

You need to check out Server Axis! Burstnet sucks in comparison. I'd consider Server Axis on the same level as Linode as far as uptime and reliability are concerned.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mooky posted:

You need to check out Server Axis! Burstnet sucks in comparison. I'd consider Server Axis on the same level as Linode as far as uptime and reliability are concerned.
Admittedly I only have a burstnet vps because there was a permanent deal going where you could get a decent vps from them for $4/month. I won the vps lottery with that one and its performance excellent, but it has had probably 30-40 hours of downtime in the past year which is pretty crap when shopping for a permanent home for my hobby stuff.

That actually looks pretty good, and they are Xen. No IRC is unfortunate, though. :(

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 8, 2012

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

Admittedly I only have a burstnet vps because there was a permanent deal going where you could get a decent vps from them for $4/month. I won the vps lottery with that one and its performance excellent, but it has had probably 30-40 hours of downtime in the past year which is pretty crap when shopping for a permanent home for my hobby stuff.

That actually looks pretty good, and they are Xen. No IRC is unfortunate, though. :(

A lot of providers block IRC traffic because it tends to invite illegal content and malicious behavior. Obviously not all IRC users are bad. If you can do without IRC, Server Axis is the best.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

mooky posted:

A lot of providers block IRC traffic because it tends to invite illegal content and malicious behavior. Obviously not all IRC users are bad. If you can do without IRC, Server Axis is the best.
Yeah. I use it to manage 10+ IM accounts and keep in contact with a few very low traffic channels, most related to development, work, or small cliques. It's not practical to run it on my home machine because I access it from many different places and prefer the high uptime.

Their plans would be perfect for my current needs, and I wouldn't mind bumping it to something else should I need it. They look reasonably priced without being massively oversold, and they provide the type of resources I'd need to use. I'm seriously considering them, and I would definitely pick them over burstnet.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've been wanting a domain name for a while; Sort of a round-about process, but I picked a pseudonym and would like to get the matching domain but it was bought up by a scummy domain squatter in '05. I've been waiting for it to expire so I didn't have to pay the retarded cost for what is basically a vanity domain for me. It finally expired a couple days ago and I've been trying to figure out the best way to go about buying it. A lot of the stuff I've been reading doesn't seem very up-to-date so I thought I would ask around a bit.

The domain just expired on Enom and the WHOIS information now has this:

Attribrgpstatusattribute: autoRenewPeriod

Registration-Expiration-Date: [1 year past original expiration date]

I don't know if the original registrars are going to rereg or what, but the last thing I want to do is give them the impression someone is willing to pay them for the domain. It looks like it will be in a pseudo-grace period for a while before it drops, but the dates seem really fuzzy. Enom also appears to be paired with namejet now, so I think I would have to buy the expiring domain through them.

What is the best way to snag the domain? Keep an eye on the whois until the status changes to pending-delete and then bid on it? Just wait for it to drop entirely and hope I can rereg it before it gets resquated?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Delta-Wye posted:

I've been wanting a domain name for a while; Sort of a round-about process, but I picked a pseudonym and would like to get the matching domain but it was bought up by a scummy domain squatter in '05. I've been waiting for it to expire so I didn't have to pay the retarded cost for what is basically a vanity domain for me. It finally expired a couple days ago and I've been trying to figure out the best way to go about buying it. A lot of the stuff I've been reading doesn't seem very up-to-date so I thought I would ask around a bit.

The domain just expired on Enom and the WHOIS information now has this:

Attribrgpstatusattribute: autoRenewPeriod

Registration-Expiration-Date: [1 year past original expiration date]

I don't know if the original registrars are going to rereg or what, but the last thing I want to do is give them the impression someone is willing to pay them for the domain. It looks like it will be in a pseudo-grace period for a while before it drops, but the dates seem really fuzzy. Enom also appears to be paired with namejet now, so I think I would have to buy the expiring domain through them.

What is the best way to snag the domain? Keep an eye on the whois until the status changes to pending-delete and then bid on it? Just wait for it to drop entirely and hope I can rereg it before it gets resquated?
You have to wait something like 60 days from the expiration date for the domain to go through the different phases of expiration before it is actually deleted and available for registration.

Edit: 45 days
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/accreditation/eddp

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 9, 2012

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

You have to wait something like 60 days from the expiration date for the domain to go through the different phases of expiration before it is actually deleted and available for registration.

Edit: 45 days
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/accreditation/eddp

Would it be better to try and backorder it then?

Edit: It says "within 45 days" and I've heard some registrars (Enom included, but the information seemed dated) will jump the gun, especially if they want the domain name.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 9, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Delta-Wye posted:

Would it be better to try and backorder it then?

Edit: It says "within 45 days" and I've heard some registrars (Enom included, but the information seemed dated) will jump the gun, especially if they want the domain name.
Enom cannot renew a domain because they want it. It is against the ICAAN rules and regulations. Back-ordering is up to you. It's basically the equivalent to eBay bid sniping. You rely on an automated service to register the domain for you the minute it is available. It's a gamble.

quote:

3.7.5.1 Extenuating circumstances are defined as: UDRP action, valid court order, failure of a Registrar's renewal process (which does not include failure of a registrant to respond), the domain name is used by a nameserver that provides DNS service to third-parties (additional time may be required to migrate the records managed by the nameserver), the registrant is subject to bankruptcy proceedings, payment dispute (where a registrant claims to have paid for a renewal, or a discrepancy in the amount paid), billing dispute (where a registrant disputes the amount on a bill), domain name subject to litigation in a court of competent jurisdiction, or other circumstance as approved specifically by ICANN.

3.7.5.2 Where Registrar chooses, under extenuating circumstances, to renew a domain name without the explicit consent of the registrant, the registrar must maintain a record of the extenuating circumstances associated with renewing that specific domain name for inspection by ICANN consistent with clauses 3.4.2 and 3.4.3 of this registrar accreditation agreement.

3.7.5.3 In the absence of extenuating circumstances (as defined in Section 3.7.5.1 above), a domain name must be deleted within 45 days of either the registrar or the registrant terminating a registration agreement.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What's the best way to manage logs?

I'm using nginx and it's set to create access and error logs in a site/logs/ folder. I _think_ I want to automatically compress them and, after a while, erase them.

This is a Linode running Ubuntu if it helps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

gmq posted:

What's the best way to manage logs?

I'm using nginx and it's set to create access and error logs in a site/logs/ folder. I _think_ I want to automatically compress them and, after a while, erase them.

This is a Linode running Ubuntu if it helps.

http://library.linode.com/linux-tools/utilities/logrotate

quote:

logrotate is a tool for managing log files created by system processes. This tool automatically compresses and removes logs to maximize the convenience of logs and conserve system resources, and allows users extensive control over how log rotation is processed.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ha, I remember seeing that and then completely forgetting about it. Thanks!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I've got two questions I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on.

Firstly, I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable host with a data centre in the European Economic Area. I've been using Lithium Hosting (who are awesome) for the last few years however I'm helping set up a site that includes some customer data and British data protection laws state that customer data must reside in the EEA. The site will be very low traffic/bandwidth and relatively low storage (will grow to no more than 3gb) so shared hosting should be fine, however it needs a dedicated IP address (even if this is just an optional add-on). I've checked all the goon hosts listed in the OP and SA-Mart, however none of them have data centres in the EEA.

Secondly, I'm struggling to understand the difference between SSL certificates. NameCheap have always been my go-to domain registrar however their SSL certificates page isn't entirely clear. I only need it to cover https://www.domain.com so I (don't think I) need a wildcard certificate, but beyond that I can't see the difference between a PositiveSSL or EssentialSSL certificate, or the difference between issuing authorities.

The site it is for is a proofreading service. Payments are all handled through Paypal so I'm not concerned with encrypting payment information, I just need to prevent sniffing usernames/passwords and documents as customers upload/download them. Can anyone shed any light on the differences between SSL certificates for these purposes?

blunt fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 15, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

blunt posted:

I've got two questions I'm hoping someone might have some thoughts on.

Firstly, I'm looking for recommendations for an affordable host with a data centre in the European Economic Area. I've been using Lithium Hosting (who are awesome) for the last few years however I'm helping set up a site that includes some customer data and British data protection laws state that customer data must reside in the EEA. The site will be very low traffic/bandwidth and relatively low storage (will grow to no more than 3gb) so shared hosting should be fine, however it needs a dedicated IP address (even if this is just an optional add-on). I've checked all the goon hosts listed in the OP and SA-Mart, however none of them have data centres in the EEA.

Secondly, I'm struggling to understand the difference between SSL certificates. NameCheap have always been my go-to domain registrar however their SSL certificates page isn't entirely clear. I only need it to cover https://www.domain.com so I (don't think I) need a wildcard certificate, but beyond that I can't see the difference between a PositiveSSL or EssentialSSL certificate, or the difference between issuing authorities.

The site it is for is a proofreading service. Payments are all handled through Paypal so I'm not concerned with encrypting payment information, I just need to prevent sniffing usernames/passwords and documents as customers upload/download them. Can anyone shed any light on the differences between SSL certificates for these purposes?

Lithium Hosting has a server in Amsterdam. Your site can easily be moved, just submit a support ticket.

As for your SSL question, you'll be fine with RapidSSL or the namecheap equivalent. You can get RapidSSL from Lithium Hosting for $16.95 / year but you'll also need a Dedicated IP Address for $3.00 / month.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

DarkLotus posted:

Lithium Hosting has a server in Amsterdam. Your site can easily be moved, just submit a support ticket.

As for your SSL question, you'll be fine with RapidSSL or the namecheap equivalent. You can get RapidSSL from Lithium Hosting for $16.95 / year but you'll also need a Dedicated IP Address for $3.00 / month.

Awesome, expect another order soon. I had a look on the hosting page and about page but it only lists your datacenters as Chicago, Dallas and Seattle.

I'm still curious about the difference between certificates (though reassured that I don't need a crazy expensive one!). Is it literally just a case of more expensive = wildcard and visual green bar, or is there more to it than that?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

blunt posted:

Awesome, expect another order soon. I had a look on the hosting page and about page but it only lists your datacenters as Chicago, Dallas and Seattle.

I'm still curious about the difference between certificates (though reassured that I don't need a crazy expensive one!). Is it literally just a case of more expensive = wildcard and visual green bar, or is there more to it than that?

I'll be sure to update the server locations...

As for SSL Certificates, there is domain, organization and extended validation certificates. Each level requires a certain amount of verification to go into issuing the SSL certificate to ensure the validity of the website / organization that is getting the certificate. Domain validation is the simplest form that just requires you to own the domain. Organization validation requires you to prove you own the business that the SSL certificate is for. Extended validation goes a bit further.

Anyways, we can move your existing account to Amsterdam, or you can buy a new account and choose the server location during checkout. If you have additional SSL issues, post in the SA-Mart thread for Lithium Hosting.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've been happily hosted with mediatemple for years but I want to start using django and they don't support it on their shared hosting.

Do you think I'll be able to find a host that'll let me use django for less than $20 a month?

It looks like dreamhost offer it but what's the general consensus on dreamhost these days?

e: what about webfaction? Opinions?

fuf fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 17, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

fuf posted:

I've been happily hosted with mediatemple for years but I want to start using django and they don't support it on their shared hosting.

Do you think I'll be able to find a host that'll let me use django for less than $20 a month?

It looks like dreamhost offer it but what's the general consensus on dreamhost these days?

e: what about webfaction? Opinions?

Lithium Hosting, starting as low as $1 per month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

Lithium Hosting, starting as low as $1 per month.
Not to hate or anything but Django (or python in general or rails etc) on cpanel is an awful pain in the rear end, lithium even charges for ssh access which is an absolute basic necessity in hosting..