Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

opengl128 posted:

Someday PA will come up with inspection stickers that don't start peeling after 6 months

I am quite surprised you caught that. And yeah it looks like complete poo poo. The issue started a few years ago. Never did it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have been very slowly installing four P clips to hold the coolant hoses up on the VW. Got #3 done yesterday. Managed to launch a bolt and washer into the only hole in the enclosed part of the frame. Had to get more bolts and washers to do #4, which I may do today. It's a prick of a job because I'm using fender washers and bolts through structural holes to support the hoses. Didn't want to do any drilling.

It's all pretty pointless because I got the needed flexible hoses from a garage sale last weekend so I could just route the hoses above the rear torsion beam neatly out of the way (except for the heater hoses which I put in a bad place. gently caress. And the fuel pump too. Double gently caress.). I'm just desperate to get it roadworthy now because issues are creeping up on the Fairlane which require more than a few hours of downtime, and travelling in the interim to fix.

Only thing is even if I get the VW roadworthy I'll need to get a loan or something to afford registration. Costs more than the bloody motor I put in it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

General_Failure posted:

I have been very slowly installing four P clips to hold the coolant hoses up on the VW. Got #3 done yesterday. Managed to launch a bolt and washer into the only hole in the enclosed part of the frame.

Is there any way you could use one of those magnet-on-a-flexible-stick type tools to fish that bolt + washer out of the frame? Getting a phantom loud rattle everytime I hit a bump would drive me completely insane (I know it's an old VW, but still).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

Is there any way you could use one of those magnet-on-a-flexible-stick type tools to fish that bolt + washer out of the frame? Getting a phantom loud rattle everytime I hit a bump would drive me completely insane (I know it's an old VW, but still).

No, unfortunately. I thought of that. It's in a horrible position. It's a bit hard to describe properly. The basics are this. The hole that I lost the bits through is on the inner side of the frame. right behind it is a structural member which comes off the frame diagonally, going forwards so there is only a small gap. The wiring loom also passes over the front of this hole. The frame at and in front of this hole slopes downwards. At its lowest point the torsion tube for the suspension passes through it. So th ebolt and washer would have gone through the hole and tumbled down to end up between the frame and the torsion tube in an otherwise enclosed section of frame, besides a small drain hole at the bottom of course which is maybe 6mm dia at most.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dizman posted:

I am quite surprised you caught that. And yeah it looks like complete poo poo. The issue started a few years ago. Never did it before.

Yeah that's about when I started noticing it. Almost all cars that are parked outside start doing it sooner or later. I guess they changed the adhesive or something.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010
Bled and flushed the brakes on the car (86 Porsche 944 Turbo) and the truck (98 Nissan Frontier). Pedal is much better in both now. Doing this using a pressure bleeder was a revelation, especially since the truck doesn't even need to be lifted to get to the bleeders. I think it was literally 5 minutes start to finish. Used ATE Super Blue, which makes it obvious when the old fluid is out and new stuff is moving through the bleeder.

Then, because the 27 year old car is a 27 year old car, the glass flew off one of the side mirrors as I was giving it a test drive with the new fluid. :toot:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OneTruePecos posted:

Bled and flushed the brakes on the car (86 Porsche 944 Turbo) and the truck (98 Nissan Frontier). Pedal is much better in both now. Doing this using a pressure bleeder was a revelation,

NOTHING gives you the pedal feel of a pressure bleeder.

I hope you bled your clutch slave too. If not, do it.

Also, I'm on a blue year too for my 944. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

OneTruePecos posted:

Then, because the 27 year old car is a 27 year old car, the glass flew off one of the side mirrors as I was giving it a test drive with the new fluid. :toot:

Mine did that last summer when a passenger closed the door in a parking lot. Dammit. I picked the other one off and reglued it before it decided to let go on its own. It didn't take much to get it off, so I assume it was ready to do the same.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Motronic posted:

NOTHING gives you the pedal feel of a pressure bleeder.

I hope you bled your clutch slave too. If not, do it.

Also, I'm on a blue year too for my 944. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mine did that last summer when a passenger closed the door in a parking lot. Dammit. I picked the other one off and reglued it before it decided to let go on its own. It didn't take much to get it off, so I assume it was ready to do the same.

The clutch slave totally slipped my mind, I'll put that on my list for the weekend. Thanks for reminding me.

The glue left behind when the glass separated would just crumble to the touch so I imagine the other side is ready to let go as well. The other side actually needs the gasket between the mirror assembly and the door replaced as well, so no reason not to go ahead and fix that at the same time.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

KozmoNaut posted:

I like my Panda very much :)

Dang haha I had a 50/50 chance of guessing right.

Dizman
Jun 10, 2004
I'm very dizzy.

opengl128 posted:

Yeah that's about when I started noticing it. Almost all cars that are parked outside start doing it sooner or later. I guess they changed the adhesive or something.

Yeah. There have been a TON of news stories about it. Don't know why it's news worthy but hey, they're there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

some texas redneck posted:

Broke it. :v: Transmission told me to gently caress off and die, it's making horrible horrible noises whenever the car is moving and keeps popping out of gear. It's full of gear oil, but the gear oil is full of metal shavings now.

Drove it like this anyway, about 4 miles (2 miles each way to Walmart), though since that post I hadn't driven it. It won't stay in 5th at all, and pops out of 4th pretty easily. The rearview mirror was vibrating (badly) with the noises. Hey I needed beer damnit, and they're a lot cheaper than the grocery store that's a mile from me. :haw:

I haven't even run through a full tank of gas since it started making noise. :downsgun: It's making the same noises my old roommate's Integra made just before the guts of the transmission escaped in a spectacular fashion.

Checked the gear oil, it's full. With a few handfuls of delicious metal shavings added, apparently.

Still waiting on my new transmission to show up, but when it does I'm going to get the car towed. Pretty sure it won't make it the 4 miles to the shop under its own power.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 26, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Got this for the VW. No idea how to mount / suspend it though.

And this to prevent me from doing stupid things with tie down straps.

Been having amazing luck with markets and garage sales recently.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Attacked the previous owners lovely body work. He slathered on Bondo to cover the indentations where the bumper mounting points are. Of course, its too think, and in a location that vibrates too much, so the bondo began to break free. I finally got sick of looking at them one night and just popped it all off with a screwdriver. Today I actually got to sanding.

Right after attacking it with the screwdriver

Todays work

I want to cut the metal out and do a proper job of flushing those areas. I have the skill to do it, but I lack a welder to do it with. Mine is at my place of work, and I have no place to plug it in at home anyways. Dont know that I will do. I hate doing lovely work, but I might just bondo it again and wrap the whole car. Fix it in a few years when I have to money for a proper paint job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Still waiting on my new transmission to show up, but when it does I'm going to get the car towed. Pretty sure it won't make it the 4 miles to the shop under its own power.

New transmission is being shipped Monday via Fedex. It definitely needs a new slave cylinder and backup light switch, beyond that it's just a bit dirty. Well that and it's been sitting for 4 years, but being a manual, that shouldn't be an issue (it's been indoors).

$300 shipped from NY state when the cheapest on ebay is $450 + $200 shipping. Now to save up for the labor, clutch, and seals. Probably buy a brand new slave cylinder instead of reusing what I have, they're really cheap (but a bit of a pain to get to without a lift). So hopefully it'll be driving in about 2 weeks. :dance: This walking/biking poo poo gets old when we're already well into the 90s during the day.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I rented a Rug Doctor with an attachment hose for uholstery stuff and did the seats and carpets in my WRX. The amount of vile poo poo it pulled out was unbelievable; the waste tank was filled with jet black liquid after just a couple seats.

If you've never shampooed your interior before, it is well worth it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I mad another poor quality template for the plate I need to make for the cooling system on the VW. I really wish I had a chunk of flat ABS to cut a final out of. But I dont and will have to use sheetmetal and some supporting stuff to make it work. All I want to do is prevent the cold air escaping before it goes through the radiator, and stop the hot air being drawn back through.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I did the same last year. My car always had ants after I bought it and the passenger seat was always a weird brownish color. I made the back seat the same after I made the mistake of setting a full 44 oz Dr Pepper (7-11 Super Big Gulp) on the roof on a windy day to grab my backpack out of the back seat, drat thing blew over, bounced off my chest, and the back seat got a surprise sugar soaking.

Spent 2 hours with a Rug Doc last July with the car idling and the a/c cranked up to high/recirculate. Pretty sure my seats are now mostly made of sweat, but I no longer have ants in my car and the seats are back to their original gray color.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I made the piece of metal to block the escaping radiator air from the templates, tweaked and tweaked again. It's almost usable. My main issue is how to take advantage of those lovely pre-existing holes in the rear crossmember to hold the back of the metal in place. How do you use unthreaded holes in ~1mm steel that you can't really access the back of? I'm thinking masonry plugs or those push in rubber bits for door card clips.
I might reinforce the front with some thick strap steel I have so it sits better against the radiator. Blocking this gap has been pissing me off for over a year. I know I'll figure it out.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Not my car per se, but I replaced the valve cover gaskets (and all other related gasketry) on a buddy's Subaru Outback today. I'd never done one, and we got it done in three hours without any leaks or anything afterward. Did three of his four spark plugs too, but one of them seemed crossthreaded so I didn't try to remove it.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
WARNING: Cell pics

Pile of parts....

A big mess...

Ready for spring!

-Coilovers
-1in wheel adapters
-Tow hook kit
-New filers (K&N +100hp)
-2in seat lowering kit (for better helmet clearance)

Still waiting on...

-Hardtop
-Flat white vinyl wrap
-New rubber (nitto Invo's)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

economic haircut posted:

-Tow hook kit
-New filers (K&N +100hp)

Does it need to be towed often?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
This.

now it has the right* fuel fittings and a way of mounting it I just need to figure out where.

* I don't remember if my system is still 1/4" or if I went up a size. I'll have to check.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Does it need to be towed often?

Nope, but they get pretty mad if you bury your car in the gravel trap with no hooks :D

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gave it a spray for all the pollen flying around.

Found a chip to the primer on a door :(
Also noticed how terrible the murder job on the side repeaters was.

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Found this in the 8 today while doing a compression test:

Front Rotor - Trailing plug. JUST this one turned to poo poo, the three other plugs are fine. 8000km on this set. Strange, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Bad coil? I have the BHR ignition upgrade.

Anyways, another club member just did a full plug change so I took one of his discarded trailing plugs to replace it until I can order new ones. His trash was still in better condition than this one. My rough idle is gone and acceleration and fuel economy has improved so I'm temporarily satisfied.

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

I made the back seat the same after I made the mistake of setting a full 44 oz Dr Pepper (7-11 Super Big Gulp) on the roof on a windy day to grab my backpack out of the back seat, drat thing blew over, bounced off my chest, and the back seat got a surprise sugar soaking.

must have been drat near hurricane winds to knock that over.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Just filed a claim. Some rear end in a top hat hit it sometime in the past week and I noticed it today. The visible damage doesn't look bad (door skin is creased around the side impact beam, plus 2 other dents), but the door won't close without being slammed and the back of the car was pushed over about 2 inches in its parking spot. It looks like they hit the side impact beam directly, and the rest of the car said "let's do the crumple". Opening the door and looking at the latch and pillar, everything looks perfect, and the door lines up fine, but the whole "slam the poo poo out of it to get it to latch" bit tells me something is bent.

eberbs posted:

must have been drat near hurricane winds to knock that over.

35 mph gusts that day. Not quite, but strong enough to make driving interesting.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 1, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What I did to my ride yesterday: change to the spare tire on my way to a class because something cut a 2 inch slit in my right front tire all the way to the wire mesh. Then had my dad who lives 5 minutes away bring me an air compressor because the spare didn't have enough air to make me comfortable driving on it.

What I did to my ride today: dropped it off at Mr. Tire and walked to work.

Tires have just under 30k on them, and I'm trying to unload my 10+ year old car this fall, so I just got one matching tire and an oil change. I'm hoping they don't call and tell me about all the new things they've found wrong with my car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Get one of those cheapass $10 12v compressors. They all universally suck, will overheat in about 15 minutes, and are slow as gently caress but they will inflate a tire. Last time I used one was on my gf's spare, and while it wouldn't get to the 50 something PSI for spare, it at least got it from 10PSI to around 40PSI.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Won a part on eBay for $0.99 and I'm getting the feeling the seller is lovely about it and I'll get raped on postage.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What did you buy on eBay that didn't have listed postage (and wasn't freight)?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Replaced the new coil pack that I just put on less than 1000 miles ago with the old one. If anyone still has an old VR6 dont buy this coil pack, its poo poo.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

What did you buy on eBay that didn't have listed postage (and wasn't freight)?

It's a ..er... thing. Damned if I know what the correct name for it is. It's a part of the heating system on a T2 VW.

here's a photo I lifted from the auction. I plopped it in imgur.

It goes here:

You can see it in the middle of the front of mine. I don't want to cut mine up and these things don't come up for sale very often because they aren't exactly a wear part. The seller had reasonable starting prices on their other stuff, so I don't know what gives. When the auction was going I asked about postage and they took a rough stab at how much they thought it would cost ($20-$30 which sounds about right to me).

Anyway if this seller isn't a prick about it I'll have another one of those things to possibly butcher to add a blower and heater core.

If you have a better idea on how to get heat up front I'd love to know. Really, I would. I'm kind of stumped.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Found this in the 8 today while doing a compression test:

Front Rotor - Trailing plug. JUST this one turned to poo poo, the three other plugs are fine. 8000km on this set. Strange, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Bad coil? I have the BHR ignition upgrade.

Anyways, another club member just did a full plug change so I took one of his discarded trailing plugs to replace it until I can order new ones. His trash was still in better condition than this one. My rough idle is gone and acceleration and fuel economy has improved so I'm temporarily satisfied.

I just changed the plugs, wires, and coils in my RX8 as well and all 4 plugs looked like that. It's like a different car now.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bovril Delight posted:

Get one of those cheapass $10 12v compressors. They all universally suck, will overheat in about 15 minutes, and are slow as gently caress but they will inflate a tire. Last time I used one was on my gf's spare, and while it wouldn't get to the 50 something PSI for spare, it at least got it from 10PSI to around 40PSI.

I actually have one myself, but it wasn't in my car and my dad was right there. I think in the future I'll just check to make sure the spare has air more than once every 5 years.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

davebo posted:

I actually have one myself, but it wasn't in my car and my dad was right there. I think in the future I'll just check to make sure the spare has air more than once every 5 years.

Are they those little black rattly things? I have one of them. Well most of it. It lost a chunk out of its bottom when it was ejected from the boot (trunk) of the car along with everything else in a rollover in '98 or thereabouts. It's fallen apart internally a few times but it was easy to put back together. The last time I used it was probably 6 or so years ago when I got a proper compressor.

My proper compressor hasn't been used in a couple of years either because I have another one made from truck parts and an electric motor which I use for tyres. Just haven't really needed my air tools much for a while. Well, I do need to use my die grinder with a cutoff wheel but they don't seem to exist in Australia.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Had the wife's new ride detailed.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tremek posted:

Had the wife's new ride detailed.

Are those things holding their value?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kylej posted:

Are those things holding their value?

As it depreciated $80,000 in 6 years, I would say that no, they haven't held their value. With that said the earlier years are not going to depreciate at such a steep rate from this point forward, but all of the first gen and first-gen refresh are going to be coming quite cheaply once any significant number of the '11+ models hit the used market. An '09 Turbo S is still $85k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Ziptied some wires into semi coherent bundles. Went looking for scraps of wood to fill between the cabinet bench and side of the cargo wall thing, found a ratty piece the right dimensions, sanded it quickly, hit it with some goopy old urethane and dropped it in place. That was the C/D pillar piece. Now I need a big bit for the B/C pillar piece. On the VW camper if you didn't guess

I also traced all the vent and heater pipes up front to figure it out. It must have been a memory artefact that made me think that the dash vents could blow hot air. They simply are not connected to the heating system.

Two groups of demisters and the two dash vents are connected to the front vent flap.

The leg vents and two of the demisters are connected to the heat. They have no plumbing in common.