Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anthadd
May 11, 2005

Couldn't the Condesce have gotten Tavros and Vriska's powers because they were prototyped recently? I mean, if she has access to the carapacians, couldn't she have access to one of the queens' rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Anthadd posted:

Couldn't the Condesce have gotten Tavros and Vriska's powers because they were prototyped recently? I mean, if she has access to the carapacians, couldn't she have access to one of the queens' rings?

Post-entering the game prototypings don't effect the imps or anything so they shouldn't effect her, assuming she has the ring.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Also, the ring normally only affects carapaces anyway. Not that there might not be special cases in very peculiar situations like hers, but I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that; and since there'll be no pre-entry prototyping, it doesn't matter at this point, though it conceivably might if PM and Bec Noir show up.

(Technically, I believe we only know that the ring doesn't work on humans. But I think it's reasonable to extrapolate, because if it worked on trolls Vriska would probably have snapped up their black queen's.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 24, 2012

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
In case anyone still hasn't figured out what is going on with the Tavros + Vriska symbols, I have a flash for you to watch.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
The ring in this session doesn't even have any prototype orbs, it's just a plain golden band.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

If his non dream self is actually dead on arrival, the more likely course of events is that Jane will revive him by doing the lifey thing.

I had a feeling that Jake would end up being dead but then Jane's wish she made on the balloon reaches Skaia and revives him or some corny poo poo like that.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Nostalgamus posted:

__________/
then I realized that the
fraymotifs was a myth.
they wasn't real. they
didn't exist so i stoped
looking for them

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

I like the idea that in B2 earth, all of the world's major technological advances and stuff were invented by one of two people - your choice was either garish multicoloured flashing technology covered in green skulls, or bright red technology made by a baking company covered in spoons and guy fieri.

Don't forget the JPEG artifact technology.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

nerdbot posted:

I had a feeling that Jake would end up being dead but then Jane's wish she made on the balloon reaches Skaia and revives him or some corny poo poo like that.
Either that, or Jane's drawing turns out to be so terrible she summons something else.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Ancestor Dave's sword doesn't especially look very broken.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmmm... People picking apart each new installment of SBaHJ for hidden symbolic meaning, you say? That sounds ridiculous Dirk!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

pandaK posted:

Ancestor Dave's sword doesn't especially look very broken.

It used to be a replica of Sephiroth's sword.

I want to mention all the stuff there like tehe shackles on Calmasis, but all I can focus on is the 'HOPYWOODO' sign.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I love how the movies were all distinguished by misspellings. What a wonderful update. I didn't see UU and uu being the main character of Rose's book coming though.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I looked at the movie poster and just started laughing. Just...Stiller with the drawn-on facial hair. Glover all awkwardly standing in the background. I can't take it. Why is SBaHJ stuff still so funny?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Does Calmasis/UU/uu have the Deudly Firearms? Lord English related? Going to guess that those are their blood colors, too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I just have this inkling...
This feels like a hint to something, something about why there was a missing SBAHJ...

Oh my god, someone go check that poo poo out.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wait...something interesting with those colors.

That's the red of Karkat and the lime-green that Karkat would have been, if he wasn't a mutant.

Clearly they're UU's and uu's blood colors, but what does it mean?

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

So it seems that Calmasis/UU/uu is related somehow to the origins of Lord English. Could it be that the UU/uu session is the one that spawned him originally?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Hopy poo poo, I can't stop laughing at Owen Wilson's face on that movie poster. 8^y

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calmasis with Doc Scratch's gun, with UU and uu's likely colors, and their symbols chaining him in place. Also with gray skin.

I note that Dave has Maplehoof as an adult. Apparently. That's gotta be one old pony, and just deepens the mystery of how she came to be tiny and in the future.

sbahj: the movovie
sbahj: the the film
sbahaj: the movle
sbahj: the moive

I love this.

What does $2.890.1 mean (numbers always mean something in Homestuck)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Somehow that managed to capture the essence of both Owen Wilson and Hella Jeff at the same time. I also can't get over Sweet Stiller. Everything about him.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's worth noting that Rose's book called Calmasis the 'antihero' of the book.

Wikipedia posted:

In fiction, an antihero is generally considered to be a protagonist whose character is contrary to that of the archetypal hero, yet typically retains many heroic qualities. Some consider the word's meaning to be sufficiently broad as to additionally encompass an antagonist who, in contrast to the archetypal villain, elicits considerable sympathy or admiration.

Lord English has never been described as having heroic qualities or eliciting sympathy, so I don't think Calmasis represents him. Plus, Hussie was dressed as Calmasis when he faced off against LE, so it's possible LE is represented by Zazzerpan or something.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

The SBAHJ ~experience~ sounds incredible. I wish something even half as funny as that existed in real life (especially getting money deposited into my account for buying something that doesn't exist, then getting the wrong title anyway).

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

__________/
then I realized that the
fraymotifs was a myth.
they wasn't real. they
didn't exist so i stoped
looking for them

I want to frame this post and put it on my wall.

I am more confused about UU than ever, it seems!

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
THE SBAHJ EXPERIENCE sounds like the most amazing amusement park ever known to mankind.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

tinaun posted:

THE SBAHJ EXPERIENCE sounds like the most amazing amusement park ever known to mankind.

The SBAHJ EXPERIENCE brings you... STAIRS!

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

QueerPope posted:

I love how the movies were all distinguished by misspellings. What a wonderful update. I didn't see UU and uu being the main character of Rose's book coming though.

Seriously? After all the hints and foreshadowing? Well, now it's blatantly obvious. I'm just worried about who those 12 he killed are supposed to represent :ohdear:

I'm hoping it's just the 12 troll ancestors in A1, but what if it means the 8 kids + 4 trolls (excluding Aradia and Sollux)? :smith:

Also: vindication at last of our beliefs that SBaHJ has deep symbolic meaning.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Waffnuffly posted:

The SBAHJ ~experience~ sounds incredible. I wish something even half as funny as that existed in real life (especially getting money deposited into my account for buying something that doesn't exist, then getting the wrong title anyway).
One of my shirts glowns and the other does not. The sbahj shopping experience is real.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Spellman posted:

One of my shirts glowns and the other does not. The sbahj shopping experience is real.

Also, the movovie is in 3rd D

the movle acutally... is not in 3rd d

too find out watch thing is true..... buy the moive????

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Wait...something interesting with those colors.

That's the red of Karkat and the lime-green that Karkat would have been, if he wasn't a mutant.

Clearly they're UU's and uu's blood colors, but what does it mean?
When we first "met" UU, I always just assumed he/she was the A1 equivalent of the Sufferer and/or Karkat (whatever fits). I mean there has been a lot of evidence since then that may lead to that not being the case, but I'm still keeping this open as a possibility.

There are quite a lot of similarities to Karkat/the Sufferer that UU/uu share (e.g., their text colors, their assumed blood colors, their typing quirks, etc). Plus Calmasis is chained, much like the Sufferer was.

Of course I'm probably wrong, but I really like the idea.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Now someone needs to edit footage of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson to make a sbahj trailer. Come on, we got some talented people here. I believe in you, guys. :allears:

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Spatula City posted:

Now someone needs to edit footage of Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson to make a sbahj trailer. Come on, we got some talented people here. I believe in you, guys. :allears:

Shouldn't be too hard, I am sure there is a rich library of quality source footage on YouTube.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know we'll be talking about the update, but since we're sort of grinding through this memory of Jake's right now I've been meaning to ask.

The four original kids are often roughly considered the main characters, even if Hussie's geometric approach to casting makes that hard to say of anyone in particular (Karkat is the main character of the trolls, which are themselves supporting characters for the main four, even if Hivebent and other shenanigans give them comparable screen-time). I recall Hussie saying at some point that Homestuck would remain the story of four friends playing a world-altering game.

I guess my question is if any of the main four were killed off, whether you'd expect we'd keep following them. Say John dies heroically some time soon, all highly unexpected, would him in the dream bubbles simply be another location? His actions as a ghost just another transformation of the character? The dream bubbles are a sort of resting home for washed up but not yet discarded characters (B1 Hegemonic Brute is dead dead, for example, but Eridan is better thought of as 'retired'), so if someone 'important' shows up there it doesn't really have to be a limit on their screen-time and ability to interact with the plot.

I ask because we've just seen some stuff with Tavros and Vriska planning to make trouble even if they are dead, which just underlines again how the dream bubbles aren't really the same as being killed off. Until we see those souls getting destroyed somehow, the main characters don't really feel at risk of actually dying, and while I feel worried for secondary characters to whom a trip to the dream bubbles means a move away from the spotlight I find the original four kids are effectively immune from being meaningfully killed off right now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, we really don't have any idea what kind of situation the original four are jumping into yet. For all we know they're going to be in some seriously bad poo poo even before they arrive.

In other news, one of the folks on the music team has hit on tough times and is offering to do commission work:

Solatrus posted:

Commissions… open

I’m kind of desperately in need of money right now. The money I had for living expenses has all but dried up, and I haven’t had a lot of time to look for a full time job.

So, I’m gonna open up for commissions, but I’m gonna try to not overdo it. Let’s say.. five major ones for now, because it’s the end of the semester and it may be a couple weeks before I can get to them.

As for prices, that seriously really depends. I’d like to work within what’s comfortable for someone’s budget, but of course I have bills to pay.

However, after having some time doing commissions, I can comfortably say that a full length song (with production and stuff) is generally $100+. Pricey? Yeah. But remember, I do this for part of my living expenses.

Of course I’d be willing to do shorter things/cheaper things. For example, would any of you purchase ringtones of my work if I made them available? Hm, hey, that gives me another idea. I could even make people completely unique ringtones (like 30 seconds in length max) for like $20 a pop.

To expand on an answer from a previous question that someone had asked, compositions take me anywhere from 5 to 10 hours, depending on complexity and desired length. Production takes 10 to 20 hours, especially if it’s electronic music that’s desired, because synth design and such can get a quite complex compared to simply picking out a set of instruments.

Regardless, if you’re interested, drop me an ask or send me an email. Or, if you don’t particularly want to commission me but still want to support me (which I’d really appreciate, because rent is due in a week): feel free to donate some money. Thank you.

Of course, Starhaven’s soundtrack will be released soon, so that should help, too.

And again, thank you for your support.

He's the guy who did Frost (originally titled Flow, funny story there) from Vol. 5, Swing of the Clock from The Felt, and the album Prospit & Derse. Some cool stuff there. Just kind of figured I'd toss this into the thread's view, seeing as some of his tracks are my favorites.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dolash posted:

I know we'll be talking about the update, but since we're sort of grinding through this memory of Jake's right now I've been meaning to ask.

The four original kids are often roughly considered the main characters, even if Hussie's geometric approach to casting makes that hard to say of anyone in particular (Karkat is the main character of the trolls, which are themselves supporting characters for the main four, even if Hivebent and other shenanigans give them comparable screen-time). I recall Hussie saying at some point that Homestuck would remain the story of four friends playing a world-altering game.

I guess my question is if any of the main four were killed off, whether you'd expect we'd keep following them. Say John dies heroically some time soon, all highly unexpected, would him in the dream bubbles simply be another location? His actions as a ghost just another transformation of the character? The dream bubbles are a sort of resting home for washed up but not yet discarded characters (B1 Hegemonic Brute is dead dead, for example, but Eridan is better thought of as 'retired'), so if someone 'important' shows up there it doesn't really have to be a limit on their screen-time and ability to interact with the plot.

I ask because we've just seen some stuff with Tavros and Vriska planning to make trouble even if they are dead, which just underlines again how the dream bubbles aren't really the same as being killed off. Until we see those souls getting destroyed somehow, the main characters don't really feel at risk of actually dying, and while I feel worried for secondary characters to whom a trip to the dream bubbles means a move away from the spotlight I find the original four kids are effectively immune from being meaningfully killed off right now.

It'd be kind of interesting how/if Hussie pulled off a death in the main character. Last year we used to talk about character's having 'plot immunity'. For example, John because he still needed to have his first conversation with Karkat, Karkat and Terezi because of their responses to this memo coming an hour after the Critical Moment. Now, no one has that kind of plot immunity, but they still have dream bubble immunity. There's been a lot of fake outs, like John getting stabbed by Jack after [S] Seer: Descend and (much more significantly in my opinion) Karkat and Terezi appearing to be dead for a week before we found out it was a beta timeline during the Scratch intermission. Between the fakeouts and the various ways of staying in the story postmortem, I'm not sure how Hussie could use the death of a main character and still shock us with its finality.

There must be some kind of dream bubble death that erases you from existence. Maybe getting shot by LE in a dream bubble, or if the horrorterror that's glubbing the bubble you're in dies or something, something like that that means you're gone permanently. Maybe the horrorterrors are using the ghosts in the dream bubbles to further their purposes and whenever they reach whatever goal they're after, the bubbles pop and the ghosts are dead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

creationist believer posted:

There must be some kind of dream bubble death that erases you from existence. Maybe getting shot by LE in a dream bubble, or if the horrorterror that's glubbing the bubble you're in dies or something, something like that that means you're gone permanently. Maybe the horrorterrors are using the ghosts in the dream bubbles to further their purposes and whenever they reach whatever goal they're after, the bubbles pop and the ghosts are dead.

With the particular way Lord English has been building up his personal dread and final boss credentials (destroying and taking over the meta-level architecture of the comic and killing the authour is a clever move in a story as meta as Homestuck) I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and he's the one to introduce the idea of 'final death'. We used to fear Bec Noir and his endless supply of stabs, but that threat's sort of been neutered now. Lord English erasing someone from the comic, however (Eridan because he wouldn't be missed but would get us worrying about characters we like? One of the more likeable trolls to make us hate Lord English more? Just go straight for the throat and permanently erase John?), that'd be something.

Oh man, imagine if Hussie went extreme meta and had Lord English erase characters from the entirety of Homestuck - their text gets blacked out, their panels are censored, even their parts in flashes are blocked. Lord English starts dismantling the comic itself.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Dolash posted:

With the particular way Lord English has been building up his personal dread and final boss credentials (destroying and taking over the meta-level architecture of the comic and killing the authour is a clever move in a story as meta as Homestuck) I wouldn't be surprised if you're right and he's the one to introduce the idea of 'final death'. We used to fear Bec Noir and his endless supply of stabs, but that threat's sort of been neutered now. Lord English erasing someone from the comic, however (Eridan because he wouldn't be missed but would get us worrying about characters we like? One of the more likeable trolls to make us hate Lord English more? Just go straight for the throat and permanently erase John?), that'd be something.

Oh man, imagine if Hussie went extreme meta and had Lord English erase characters from the entirety of Homestuck - their text gets blacked out, their panels are censored, even their parts in flashes are blocked. Lord English starts dismantling the comic itself.

I kind of thought of that. Like in that one season of Doctor Who there was that crack in space time that completely erased anyone that touched it, including everyone's memories and every effect they had on any timeline. I just... can't imagine how Hussie would make that work! Maybe when you go to the update with that character's death, it sets a cookie in your browser. Then, if you go back and reread pages involving that character, there's a different update where they aren't there. That way it wouldn't effect new readers going through the archives for the first time.

There'd have to be a list of pages that changed for you to click through since I doubt many people other than me would be willing to reread all of Homestuck just to see what the story would be like if someone useless like Nepeta never existed.

Edit: Maybe when a character is dead-dead, they stop selling that character's shirt in the What Pumpkin store :v:

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 25, 2012

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Why is dead hussie chained up with uu and UU manacles?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Edit: ^^^^ Oh god, what if Calmasis is reset-Rose's metaphor for Hussie? Killing the twelve represents him killing off the trolls? Or no, what if uu/UU are actually the Frankenstein'd remains of Hussie after Lord English killed him? The possibilities are endless!

To make the editing bearable, just grab a few dedicated fans and have them swab black all over any instances of a certain character appearing and upload the modified panels the day of the erasure. Then once the cast is whittled down to just John, rereading Homestuck becomes like reading declassified CIA documents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

HalfHazard posted:

Hopy poo poo, I can't stop laughing at Owen Wilson's face on that movie poster. 8^y

Owen wilson really is Hella Jeff the acptor:

So I'm trying to figure out if this:

quote:

GT: Haha wow. Must have been a hell of a guy.
TT: So...
TT: You're not making any connections there?
GT: Where? Huh?
TT: Famous comedian, about the age of your grandma, inheriting the family name of the Baroness...
TT: Not ringing a bell?
GT: What are you talking about! Dirk stop speaking in riddles and keep telling the story i am on tenterhooks here!
TT: Ok, well it's not like it's that important. Just a super obvious thing that'll probably occur to you later when you're looking in the fridge you don't have, at which point you'll feel like an idiot.
...is a reference to something we know about. Is it just that Jake hasn't made the connection that his great-uncle is John Crocker, or is there more to it?