Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CaptainScraps posted:

Social equality question:

Where are the female lawyers? What do they practice?

PD's office:
trial: 45% women
mental health: 50%
juvenile: 60% women
civil: 100% women
appeals: 0% women
support: (secretaries, paralegals) 100% women
Chief: male
Deputy: female
overall (attorneys): 52% women

DA's office:
trial: 45% women
juvenile: 50%
civil: 0% women
support: 98% women
leadership: 0% women
overall (attorneys): 42% women

*except for trial divisions and support staff, sample sizes are only 3-8 people.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

CaptainScraps posted:

PI and estate litigation seem overwhelmingly male but that might be because I only meet name partners.

This is partially the reason I think every lawyer in Dallas is an old white man in their 50s.
I believe my last firm was majority women associates. Partners, not so much.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

We have a surprising amount of female attorneys for a patent prosecution mill. And most of them are doing EE/CS stuff too instead of bio/chem.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

HiddenReplaced posted:

Dude, txt me next time.
Yeah I forgot about your asian fetish kidding

Well, since application time is pretty much done, here is my report for the year.

:siren: Annual report of people I know going to lawl school next year or considered but decided not to :siren:

Very good annual results.

(1) Good friend of mine to Penn with a partial scholarship. Has a decent sized trust fund and his grandfather was one of the most successful attorneys in the state. Ever. I really want to start a firm with me a couple years from now. A+

(2) Not going. Study try-hard Asian with a 180 on the LSATs, but not great gpa from an invy league after his parents said he could either get a med degree or never stay at home again. Borderline PTSD. Not going and teaching elite-level test prep (dude has gotten a perfect score on every standardized test he's taken) while he finds himself. A

(3-6) Going to various fourth tier schools in FL. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN TO ME?

(4-??) I probably had "the talk" with like 20 of my parent's children who were interested in law school. Of everyone I talked to, nobody that I see regularly is going.

All in all, proud of my performance this year. The most interesting thing I noticed is that the schools getting hit hardest by all this reporting are the 50-100 schools because, at that point, people are smart enough to see the risks in their decision. 4th tiers aren't really having a problem since (no offense) a lot of their students are too stupid to realize how bad of an idea it is.

Dunning-Kruger at work.

gret posted:

We have a surprising amount of female attorneys for a patent prosecution mill. And most of them are doing EE/CS stuff too instead of bio/chem.

There are a TON of younger female partners at my firm, but zero older ones (obviously). I think the skewness in partner gender will move pretty markedly towards equality in the next 10-15 years and I hope the same thing will happen with minority partners.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CaptainScraps posted:

PI and estate litigation seem overwhelmingly male but that might be because I only meet name partners.

This is partially the reason I think every lawyer in Dallas is an old white man in their 50s.

Public interest law. I've been outnumbered in every NGO, non-profit, and legal aid thing I've worked for or interacted with, including the human rights clinic I'm in.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

entris posted:

Hahahaha this is misogynistic as gently caress.

Not at all. If the attorney were a woman, you could easily replace "kitchen appliances" with "power tools."

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005

moana posted:

It was reported as "lol" so I just probated for what I thought was the issue. Would have given sulechrist 1 day anyway for no caps and "lol" since it's just a slap on the wrist. If sharing tests is common and accepted, go right ahead, that's not the main reason I was probating.

It was clearly ironic, especially given the context of him acknowledging that it is quite stupid to leave exam prep until two days before. The lack of caps and the 'lol' were pretty obviously a nod to that.

Modding on these forums is really poo poo. The rules might say no to 'lol' but Jesus Christ learn to understand nuance and context. I can't believe I'm being autistic enough to dissect and moan about his post in this way but it shouldn't need pointing out.

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
And because I'll probably get probated or banned for saying that, I would like to tell whoever does the deed that you can suck my dick.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sounds like you could use a Forums Lawyer. I work on contingency.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Don't hire him, he runs a loving hack shop.

I'll do it for contingency and a $50K expense retainer.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Last day of law school classes tomorrow. That. Is. All.

Also, don't go, no loving jobs.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Phil, I really appreciate your state giving my state (FL) a run for most retarded.

On the other hand, Dolphins.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dos4gw posted:

And because I'll probably get probated or banned for saying that, I would like to tell whoever does the deed that you can suck my dick.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

A fitting end for the user who initially brought the mods down upon our holy thread when he was reported during the crit discussion weeks ago.

With him gone, perhaps now the mods will cease to visit their wrath upon us.

In other news, apparently I was wrong about the uselessness of law reviews:

An Empirical Assessment of the Supreme Court’s Use of Legal Scholarship

quote:

This article provides the first report, as far as we can determine, of evidence that the Supreme Court not only often uses legal scholarship, it also disproportionately uses scholarship when cases are either more important or more difficult to decide. It thus presents results strongly counterintuitive to claims that scholarship is useless or irrelevant to judges and practitioners.

If I didn't have to bill a bunch of hours, I'd totally download and read the whole thing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dos4gw posted:

It was clearly ironic, especially given the context of him acknowledging that it is quite stupid to leave exam prep until two days before. The lack of caps and the 'lol' were pretty obviously a nod to that.

Modding on these forums is really poo poo. The rules might say no to 'lol' but Jesus Christ learn to understand nuance and context. I can't believe I'm being autistic enough to dissect and moan about his post in this way but it shouldn't need pointing out.

lol

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

As a former moderator I'm available for a modest retainer should you need expert reports and depositions

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Heads up, my unemployed lawgoon bros: Google has a lot of legal jobs posted on their jobs website. http://www.google.com/about/jobs/search/#q=&team=legal-public-policy

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

tau posted:

Heads up, my unemployed lawgoon bros: Google has a lot of legal jobs posted on their jobs website. http://www.google.com/about/jobs/search/#q=&team=legal-public-policy
They actually have in-house recruiters calling random lawyers. Pretty weird.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Omerta posted:

(4-??) I probably had "the talk" with like 20 of my parent's children who were interested in law school. Of everyone I talked to, nobody that I see regularly is going.

Whoa!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Omerta posted:

Phil, I really appreciate your state giving my state (FL) a run for most retarded.

On the other hand, Dolphins.

I don't get it?

E. is this a reference to the Saints?

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

tau posted:

I'm pretty good at googling do you think they will hire me

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
There are a fair amount of both women judges and women clerks in my state judiciary. On the other hand that's where I've heard the worst misogynist bullshit too sooo....

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

CaptainScraps posted:

My firm is 50% female entering associates, but the m/f ratio gradually skews as people get more senior. I think about 20% of the partners are female.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tau posted:

Why doesn't google need a criminal defense attorney?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
The few female partners we have are in Trusts and Estates. Our associates are close to a 50/50 split, though, and they're pretty evenly distributed among practice areas.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

nm posted:

Give it time.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

nm posted:

I give up. Why doesn't google need a criminal defense attorney?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I don't get it?

E. is this a reference to the Saints?

Yeah, but that was a weird way of typing that out.

diospadre posted:

Whoa!

Oops, I meant to say parents' friends' children. Just kidding, I'm a Duggar.

Sorry everyone, I can't communicate because my brain is fried from reviewing Secured Transactions.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

I interviewed with the Department of Justice the other day. One of their questions was what would I do if I got a call from a ministerial office directing me to destroy documents from a file I was working on.

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I interviewed with the Department of Justice the other day. One of their questions was what would I do if I got a call from a ministerial office directing me to destroy documents from a file I was working on.

What's the correct answer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Agesilaus posted:

Zarkov Cortez is from Canada, so it's not as obvious a trick question as it would be in the U.S.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

I went with find out more information, say no and contact my supervising attorney (nothing was given regarding the content of the file).

joat mon posted:

Zarkov Cortez is from Canada, so it's not as obvious a trick question as it would be in the U.S.

Now I am curious.

Another question was what would I do if I was with a senior attorney who got drunk and started talking about private negotiations from a file with former classmates.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 25, 2012

Agesilaus
Jan 27, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I went with find out more information, say no and contact my supervising attorney (nothing was given regarding the content of the file).

Now I am curious.

Another question was what would I do if I was with a senior attorney who got drunk and started talking about private negotiations from a file with former classmates.

Your interviews sound incredibly difficult. If you're present at a drunken conversation between seniors, then presumably you're at least mildly intoxicated (Archelaus says it is a disgrace for the sober to be around the drunk), and intimate conversations between important gentlemen are arguably outside the scope of formal considerations. Yet one isn't likely to be familiar with the interviewer, and americans are just odd people, so you can't know whether the yank wants to hear something else about how you'd ruin the night by whisking away the senior.

Agesilaus fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 25, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Agesilaus posted:

Your interviews sound incredibly difficult. If you're present at a drunken conversation between seniors, then presumably you're at least mildly intoxicated (Archelaus says it is a disgrace for the sober to be around the drunk), and intimate conversations between important gentlemen are arguably outside the scope of formal considerations. Yet one isn't likely to be familiar with the interviewer, and americans are just odd people, so you can't know whether the yank wants to hear something else about how you'd ruin the night by whisking away the senior.

Afterward, re: destroy documents, I was thinking about the presidential pardon scene from Clear and Present Danger.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Say you destroyed them and then take them home and if it turns out you were supposed to destroy them then good and if you weren't then it's all good :cool:

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

HolySwissCheese posted:

Say you destroyed them and then take them home and if it turns out you were supposed to destroy them then good and if you weren't then it's all good :cool:

hahaha I like this. Thinking like a lawyer™

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Other interesting things so far included a legal aid lawyer making fun of me for driving a civic and my friend being asked by a private bar defense attorney if they liked working with poor people.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Now I am curious.
e.g., http://www.emptywheel.net/2012/03/15/a-primer-on-why-schuelke-report-of-doj-misconduct-is-important/

And there's always the prosecutorial misconduct pyramid:

66% of prosecutorial misconduct is in a grey area where reasonable minds can differ whether it's illegal or 'merely' pushing the boundaries of illegal.
30% of prosecutorial misconduct will be ignored by the courts.
3% of prosecutorial misconduct will be error, but harmless
.8% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in some relief
.1% of prosecutorial misconduct is egregious enough for the appellate court to -gasp- name the prosecutor in its opinion.
.07% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in a case with the bar association
.02% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in a negative finding by the bar
.007% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in termination
.003% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in criminal charges.
0% of prosecutorial misconduct will result in civil recompense. Imbler, Connick

If you are DOJ, multiply all but the first slice of the pyramid by .01

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I looked into the USPTO; there appears to be pretty good demand for patent examiners in my field. Does anyone have experience or have a friend with experience of starting at the USPTO then making the jump to either a private firm>law school or to law school?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

I looked into the USPTO; there appears to be pretty good demand for patent examiners in my field. Does anyone have experience or have a friend with experience of starting at the USPTO then making the jump to either a private firm>law school or to law school?
It's actually quite common for examiners to go to law school, and it's a great background to have if you're interested in eventually practicing IP law. Around a quarter of my classmates in patent classes were either former examiners or part-time law students who still worked at the USPTO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Man. DoJ loves to recycle questions, don't they?