Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The iPad 'Photoshop Nav' app is good when you can't reach the keyboard for shortcuts though it won't let you put eg. 'mirror horizontal' on as a tool; the less menu fishing I have to do the happier I am.

<edit>Ah, make actions of simple commands and you can assign th action in the Nav app.. Better :)

Whoa, I had no idea that existed. No iPad yet, but I'll be grabbing that app the second I get one. Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Probably posted before, but my buddy just sent me this and it's pretty nifty.

I wonder if there's a way to engrave a microprism spot into a business card.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pretty interesting TED talk from Taryn Simon. She photographed bloodlines of families around the world for 4 years.

http://video.ted.com/talk/podcast/2011S/None/TarynSimon_2011S.mp4

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

This is quite cool, giant sized pinhole cameras made from garbage containers: http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/18/german-garbage-men-turn-dumpsters-into-giant-pinhole-cameras/

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

evil_bunnY posted:

In a previous life I had to investigate a diagnostic/PI system while a surgery team was busy cutting up a dude one meter away.

In a previous life I worked on diagnostic imaging machines. The amount of blood, urine, and vomit that collect in the bottom of the MRI ring used in most Emergency Departments has to be seen to be believed.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

iPad havers; search 'Fotopedia' in the app store, there's five or six free 'photobooks' to download with what looks like top quality photography throughout... I'm currently leafing through the North Korea app.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

squidflakes posted:

In a previous life I worked on diagnostic imaging machines. The amount of blood, urine, and vomit that collect in the bottom of the MRI ring used in most Emergency Departments has to be seen to be believed.

:catstare:

Someone just said 'nifty fifty' to me irl, didn think that ever happened

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Never seen this before, but it's pure gold. This crazy rear end lady is yelling (hysterically) at these "photographers who beat up on" her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=klCSyq0Ii14

edit: screencap

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Anyone need a 6mm lens for their 35mm Nikon camera?

British Journal of Photography posted:

A rare fisheye Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 lens, which offers the "world's most extreme wide-angle" and is worth £100,000, has gone on sale at Gray's of Westminster in London

First introduced in 1970 at the Photokina trade show in Cologne, Germany, the Fisheye-Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 lens offers an angle of view of 220º making it, at the time, the "world's most extreme wide-angle lens to cover an image area of 24x36mm.
Lens production started in March 1972, and was only made available to special order, says Gray Levett, a co-founder of Gray's of Westminster. He and Tony Hurst spend "six month on the trail of this lens and finally located it overseas," he says. "We were fortunate in securing it and it is now on sale for £100,000."
The lens is in mint condition. It uses 12 glass elements in nine groups and weighs 5.2kg. It has a minimum focussing distance of 25cm and features a slip-on front lens cap and is delivered in a rugged metal case.
For more details, visit https://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk.

Read more: http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2169615/rare-extreme-wide-angle-nikkor-lens-goes-sale#ixzz1sxNdOjSX

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I remember reading about that in a John Hedgecoe book, I thought it was only something of legend; that didn't actually exist anymore. Sure hope that's worth the $160,000 USD that it'll take to buy it.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

kefkafloyd posted:

I remember reading about that in a John Hedgecoe book, I thought it was only something of legend; that didn't actually exist anymore. Sure hope that's worth the $160,000 USD that it'll take to buy it.

Functionally, I strongly doubt it is worth it. To a loaded collector of photography memorabilia though? Sure.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Who would have thought that a wide-angle lens would have a tripod mount?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Anyone have a good source for corporate headshot inspiration?

I'm doing some research and trying to pull a few examples to show the partners of my company who have deemed me the task burden of taking ours. Most corporate headshots are really stale and flat but since we are a creative agency, they wanted something a little more fun and styled.

I was looking at going into three directions
- Studio lit so that I could have complete control of the light and environment. No clouds, rain or interruptions.
- Spacial - highlighting the people in our office environment. Lots of changing light/locations/moving things around, could get very creative and still have control of the environment
- Environmental - taking employees around Chicago to capture them in their environment, could be fun but also a logistical nightmare especially for new employees later on down the road

Here are some examples what I was looking at

Verman fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 25, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Hedge your bets and do one simple set and one creative one. Simple photos are good for things like business cards, company directories or whatever. The creative ones will be better for web sites.

For the creative set, you could find a silly prop like the company mascot and photograph people posing with it.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2012

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Well, finished my retouching project, pretty happy with the results... I could go and really smarten any minor patchy areas but that's lots of effort for minimal gain :)

Photo Retouching Project by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

(View the original)

<edit> Shite, forgot to put badges back on two of the berets... Glad I didn't pack it off for printing :o:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 25, 2012

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'd say that's one hell of a job. How long did that take you?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Verman posted:

I'm doing some research and trying to pull a few examples to show the partners of my company who have deemed me the task burden of taking ours. Most corporate headshots are really stale and flat but since we are a creative agency, they wanted something a little more fun and styled.

I was looking at going into three directions
- Studio lit so that I could have complete control of the light and environment. No clouds, rain or interruptions.
- Spacial - highlighting the people in our office environment. Lots of changing light/locations/moving things around, could get very creative and still have control of the environment
- Environmental - taking employees around Chicago to capture them in their environment, could be fun but also a logistical nightmare especially for new employees later on down the road

Here are some examples what I was looking at

aiiaznsk8ter does them. PM him.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HPL posted:

I'd say that's one hell of a job. How long did that take you?

Maybe five hours? To be honest a lot of the time was just getting familiar with using the tablet and the Nav app, I reckon I could redo it in around 3:30 / 4hrs now.

Mind you, for all the touchups it's lucky to have a photo that has so much repetition you can borrow from to make fixes... Just one or two soldiers against a backdrop all creased and cracked like this and it'd have been a nightmare :o:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Well, finished my retouching project, pretty happy with the results... I could go and really smarten any minor patchy areas but that's lots of effort for minimal gain :)

Photo Retouching Project by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

(View the original)

<edit> Shite, forgot to put badges back on two of the berets... Glad I didn't pack it off for printing :o:

This is amazing :O

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Verman posted:

I heard the word 'corporate'!

Short answer: Inc. Magazine is a must must must. Entrepreneur Magazine and Bloomberg are second. Look through the last year's worth. IMO, the most incredible business portraits have been done by Inc.

If you are a creative agency, it should be, well creative. Start with a story or a theme, then imagine a style that fits. Simpler is always better. You can get carried away pretty quickly and then the production costs start to skyrocket. You can do really creative stuff on just a seamless if you are able to coax the subject's personalities out.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Verman posted:

This might be interesting. It's a bit more from the business end of things, but it will help you make good decisions in how you set up, and what your goals should be for a shoot.

Live Webinar with Forbes Magazine: How to Shoot Powerful Portraits of Powerful People
http://vimeo.com/40562495

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Short answer: Inc. Magazine is a must must must. Entrepreneur Magazine and Bloomberg are second.

If you are a creative agency, it should be, well creative. Start with a story or a theme, then imagine a style that fits. Simpler is always better. You can do really creative stuff on just a seamless if you are able to coax the subject's personalities out.

bisticles posted:

Live Webinar with Forbes Magazine: How to Shoot Powerful Portraits of Powerful People
http://vimeo.com/40562495

Thanks guys, that helps out. We have subscriptions to Inc/Ent/Bloomberg here in the office so I will take a look through them for some inspiration. As far as the concept, I was given a few keywords to shoot by being; smart, clever, direct, fun, and friendly. One of the partners wants something like a quick school photo day but I think I can coax the other two into something a little more fun and developed.

I'm presenting concepts to them later today but I feel good about where I'm at and the pros and cons behind all directions.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/24/cardboard-digital-camera-by-ikea/

Pretty interesting, but disappointing that it needs 2 AA batteries (probably a voltage issue).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shmoogy posted:

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/04/24/cardboard-digital-camera-by-ikea/

Pretty interesting, but disappointing that it needs 2 AA batteries (probably a voltage issue).

It powers the storage too, has no flash memory so if it loses power say goodbye to your pictures.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

If you are a creative agency, it should be, well creative. Start with a story or a theme, then imagine a style that fits. Simpler is always better. You can get carried away pretty quickly and then the production costs start to skyrocket. You can do really creative stuff on just a seamless if you are able to coax the subject's personalities out.
This was the original plan in my head.

I "Presented" my concepts to the partners just a little bit ago meaning that I was heading to lunch and they walked over, picked up the printed walkthroughs I was preparing for later, looked at the pictures and started arguing about which direction to go into without any consideration to their original timeline.

Sometimes it blows my mind that our agency can function with three people in the drivers seat. The original direction that I was given was something that will be quick to produce and reproduce for new employees, something that is clean, direct and fun. My creative lead said to run with the seamless and use personality but then they ended up wanting to do editorial style shots showcasing people in our agency around the space.

I was look forward to busting out the studio lights for a seamless shoot, but I think it will be fun and more rewarding to try to shoot everyone around the office, but man is this going to be a hassle.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

quote:

early gopro

Saw this in AI- anyone know what lens this is?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Verman posted:

My creative lead said to run with the seamless and use personality but then they ended up wanting to do editorial style shots showcasing people in our agency around the space.

I would propose that you shoot environmental portraits of your C level folks. These shots will reinforce your branding and communicate the vision of the company. When clients go to the site and look at the leadership team, they ought to think "wow, these guys work hard in a clean, professional environment, and aren't afraid to also have fun." Everyone else can be done with a simple backdrop that doesn't take up a ton of resources.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

I want to say it's the 50mm 1.8 Series E, a tiny pancake lens, but might be from the wrong era. The 'bubble' element in the middle makes me think of a wide angle lens.

E: The vibration from racing must make photos from that setup unusable, unless it's able to shoot at 1/1000 minimum, right?

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 26, 2012

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

red19fire posted:

I want to say it's the 50mm 1.8 Series E, a tiny pancake lens, but might be from the wrong era. The 'bubble' element in the middle makes me think of a wide angle lens.

E: The vibration from racing must make photos from that setup unusable, unless it's able to shoot at 1/1000 minimum, right?

Even the E series looks bigger than that.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Augmented Dickey posted:

That would be a 21mm f/4. It's a nonretrofocus design and the mirror had to be locked up to use. Looks like the removed the front ring for who knows what reason.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/ultrawides/21mm.htm

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

red19fire posted:

Nah, 1/250 on something a bit wide - 21mm is certainly at least a bit wide - will freeze most movement. You'd probably get some very nice horizontal blurring of the background and sides when driving at race-car speeds, but I'd expect vertical vibration to not cause too many problems. Focus at infinity, set aperture to f/5.6 or something, and on a nice clear day you'd have no problems, at least that's my guess.

Vibration knocking the camera out of the mount, though...

Plus, that looks like a pretty uncomfortable weight to have sticking out of your forehead. Come to think of it, his neck is going to act like a pretty good vibration damper for that mount.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do not ever work on a cruise ship.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
http://mattrichardson.com/Descriptive-Camera/

quote:

created by Matt Richardson
The Descriptive Camera works a lot like a regular camera—point it at subject and press the shutter button to capture the scene. However, instead of producing an image, this prototype outputs a text description of the scene. Modern digital cameras capture gobs of parsable metadata about photos such as the camera's settings, the location of the photo, the date, and time, but they don't output any information about the content of the photo. The Descriptive Camera only outputs the metadata about the content...

The technology at the core of the Descriptive Camera is Amazon's Mechanical Turk API. It allows a developer to submit Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs) for workers on the internet to complete. The developer sets the guidelines for each task and designs the interface for the worker to submit their results. The developer also sets the price they're willing to pay for the successful completion of each task...

After the shutter button is pressed, the photo is sent to Mechanical Turk for processing and the camera waits for the results. A yellow LED indicates that the results are still "developing" in a nod to film-based photo technology. With a HIT price of $1.25, results are returned typically within 6 minutes and sometimes as fast as 3 minutes. The thermal printer outputs the resulting text in the style of a polaroid print.

code:
-----------------------------------
| |                             | |
| |    Looks like a cupboard    | |
| |    which is ugly and old    | |
| |  having name plates on it   | |
| |      with a study lamp      | |
| |       attached to it.       | |
| ------------------------------- |
|                                 |
|                                 |
-----------------------------------

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Spedman posted:

Anyone need a 6mm lens for their 35mm Nikon camera?

Example photos from this lens:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

At work, "The event ended two hours ago, where are the pictures?" They're still on the camera. Maybe if you told me you needed the pictures today I would have started working on them and had something for you :fuckoff:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

spookygonk posted:

Example photos from this lens:

somebody actually took one outside :stonk:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
About a month ago I was in Union Square taking some pictures. Some guy ran up to me and say "Hey, you're that photographer who takes pictures of people. I've seen your work!" At first I was like, "Yeah! That's me!" But then I started to wonder how he knew it was actually me, and not confusing me with someone else. I mean, hell, there are tons of New York photographers. Somehow we ended splitting ways without really clarifying it or talking more, I think because I told him I was busy photographing somebody and and asked him to kindly give us some space.

Today, I was coming out of Washington Square Park and I bumped into him again. He was with another man and he said, "that's the guy I've been telling you about!" Anyway, long story short, turns out this other guy is a writer and he's doing a piece on film photograph vs. digital and a lot of the questions that relate to that, like how do I feel about all of these digital shooters and do I dislike them or do I think it's great that so many people are shooting. It was neat. It turned into a real interview. He tape recorded my answers and we had a 20-30 minute discussion. That's never happened to me before. The first guy who said he knew me found out about me because he posted some pictures online somewhere and somebody told him, "no no, you're doing it all wrong, check out this guy's work" and liked my to site. I feel pretty cool about that.

Unfortunately, the writers isn't anyone you would know. He's not a major journalist or writer for the Times or anything. I think he just has a popular blog. I didn't get enough information about him to find out. But anyway, they're going to do a piece about this stuff and I don't know if it's going to be just on me or about sort-of photography in general. I feel really cool about it. I mean, I know there's lots of lovely photography out there that gets attention beyond the amount it deserves -- I think we could all basically come to an agreement on that. And some of you feel my work falls right into that category, and that's fine. Some people like the color blue and other people like the color red. The same basic principles apply to artistic works we see with our eyes. Sometimes people will say 'This major historical photographer is banal and bland' and get crap for that, but really we all make judgements about what we like and don't like, and there aren't necessarily rules for that.

Anyway, just thought I would share the good news. Once I get the article I was send a link.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Well if anyone deserves it, it's you.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Congrats! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007