Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I picked up Persona 2 PSP. I thought the load times might have been exaggerated but when you have a loading bar before every fight you have done something wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus is remaking Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers for 3DS.

Will apparently have full voice acting and "additional elements". Due out in Japan on August 30th.

EDIT: English article with more details

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 25, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Will apparently have full voice acting and "additional elements". Due out in Japan on August 30th.

Oh god drat it. I was so sure i wouldn't need to get a 3DS. gently caress. :negative: There's still the fantranslation if that ever finishes, but if they bring this over to the West...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Atlus now have, what, roughly a 4:1 ratio of recycled games to newly self developed ones?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

I sure hope the new elements include animated enemies + a demonic compendium.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 25, 2012

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So how does Soul Hackers play? I know it's not like the Raidou games, isn't it a dungeon crawler a la Persona 1/2? Please don't say it's like P1, I want to be excited for this. :ohdear:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix74 posted:

So how does Soul Hackers play? I know it's not like the Raidou games, isn't it a dungeon crawler a la Persona 1/2? Please don't say it's like P1, I want to be excited for this. :ohdear:

It's a first person dungeon crawler, but not quite as sadistic as Strange Journey or Etrian Odyssey.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Atlus now have, what, roughly a 4:1 ratio of recycled games to newly self developed ones?

I'd rather have a stream of good games remade rather than the inevitable Anime Singularity that will be P5. :v:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

I'd rather have a stream of good games remade rather than the inevitable Anime Singularity that will be P5. :v:

P5 will be the first Atlus game with a date-able younger sister! Who is really a 50,000 year old goddess or something, so it's cool man. :whatup:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I'm lucky in that I discovered Atlus games through Persona 4, so a lot of the games remade are brand new to me.

Well, even if they weren't, they'd probably hit my wallet anyway, as I'm the type of gamer to replay games 5+ years afterwards, and remakes tend to be very enticing.

ETA: ^^^^^^^ Guuuuuys, stop it! I'm playing Persona 4 right now and really enjoying it, stop making me visualize a Persona 5 that's not a perfect sequel!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Justice posted:

P5 will be the first Atlus game with a date-able younger sister! Who is really a 50,000 year old goddess or something, so it's cool man. :whatup:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I ponder whether you actually utterly detest the franchise. Then I remember the P3P thread and wave the silly idea away.

TurnipFritter posted:

It's a first person dungeon crawler, but not quite as sadistic as Strange Journey or Etrian Odyssey.

I enjoyed your LP of Soul Hackers. Just throwing that out there a propos.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Rinkles posted:

Sometimes, just sometimes, I ponder whether you actually utterly detest the franchise. Then I remember the P3P thread and wave the silly idea away.

Nerds are destined to destroy what they love. :tizzy:

I do regard Atlus USA with contempt, though, if that validates your fear.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Policenaut posted:

:eyepop:

Well...I certainly wasn't expecting that. I guess there's a chance I'll actually play this game.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Catalina posted:

I'm lucky in that I discovered Atlus games through Persona 4, so a lot of the games remade are brand new to me.

Well, even if they weren't, they'd probably hit my wallet anyway, as I'm the type of gamer to replay games 5+ years afterwards, and remakes tend to be very enticing.

ETA: ^^^^^^^ Guuuuuys, stop it! I'm playing Persona 4 right now and really enjoying it, stop making me visualize a Persona 5 that's not a perfect sequel!

Persona 5 is probably gonna be awesome, so I wouldn't worry. :) I think I may start another run of 4 in the meantime.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

PunkBoy posted:

Persona 5 is probably gonna be awesome, so I wouldn't worry. :) I think I may start another run of 4 in the meantime.

It's definitely gonna be awesome if you like dating children, which is something that Atlus recently has gained something of a fondness for. Ken-chan :allears:

Seriously, at this point i dread P5 because i have a creeping suspicion that it will be the point at which Atlus finally becomes The Worst.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

It's definitely gonna be awesome if you like dating children, which is something that Atlus recently has gained something of a fondness for. Ken-chan :allears:

Seriously, at this point i dread P5 because i have a creeping suspicion that it will be the point at which Atlus finally becomes The Worst.

Two words:

Pregnant Robots. :roboluv:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Justice posted:

Two words:

Will you get to date your Robo-Daughter? (Don't worry, she's a robot, so it's ok)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's always the chance that Atlus will realize a -third- highschool dating sim entry to the series would be overkill and maybe try to mix things up.

Right? :smith:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's always the chance that Atlus will realize a -third- highschool dating sim entry to the series would be overkill and maybe try to mix things up.

This time it'll be a middle school dating sim.
e: A middle school for pregnant robot girls that inexplicably has an open air hotsprings bath on the grounds.
e2: The Velvet Room is the nurse's office. Igor is flanked by a Sexy Nurse and a Sexy Mechanic.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 25, 2012

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The backstory of the original Megami Tensei from 1987 posted:

Akemi Nakajima is a high school student and a computer programming prodigy who created a program that can summon demons from Makai. His original intentions for the program were to gain revenge on a classmate who had fought with him. He brings his friend Yumiko Shirasagi, a transfer student that became interested in Nakajima and found to be the reincarnation of the goddess Izanami, to combat the malicious demons he unleashed.

Complaining about this series of games being like animes is really insane dudes

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

And while we're dreaming maybe they'll follow P5 with a new mainline SMT game rather than dumping a half dozen more remakes on the next gen handhelds.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

Counterpoint: Catherine. :colbert:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Justice posted:

I'm looking forward to Persona 5.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
^^^^ lol

Technique posted:

Will you get to date your Robo-Daughter? (Don't worry, she's a robot, so it's ok)

We got really into making up poo poo about Persona 5 in one of the threads and I wish I could remember which one. Maybe it was the last megaten thread. Whatever it was, it was gold.

I hope we can look back on it when P5 finally does come out and see how prophetic we turned out to be. :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly though just make them college students or adults who work at an office or something so you can keep the whole social sim aspect that attracted so many people while still keeping it somewhat fresh.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Honestly though just make them college students or adults who work at an office or something so you can keep the whole social sim aspect that attracted so many people while still keeping it somewhat fresh.

Do this, but kill off the S-Links so that the character development can finally feel natural again instead of DING! YOU LEVELED UP YOUR FRIENDSHIP. TOMMY IS NO LONGER AFRAID OF SPIDERS.

TOMMY WILL NOW TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

I never played Soul Hackers sooooo, good call if they bring it out here. In fact, given their games have been fairly niche save for recently, it's not a bad call to take those old ideas and make them even better. At least if there's anything to be learned from Tactics Ogre on the PSP.

And there's that lazy/stupid anime descriptor again.

I think the lack of realism in Persona 3/4 is why it made me appreciate the use of school setting. If anything, it's a nice slice of culture, for better or worse. The school setting feels more meaningful because of it, rather than Persona 1 and 2 which were still ultimately dungeon crawlers in a school setting, but with only a fragment of content that answered the question: "Why is this setting important/vital to the theme of the game?" I don't think one is superior to the other, I just got different messages/meaning from each half of the Persona games. Persona 1 and 2 are really different from Persona 3 and 4. Whatever direction they go in, I'd hope that one day people could tell the difference between a stupid generalization (anime), and actually processing content with some thought.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 25, 2012

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Couldn't see that anyone had posted this so I might aswell do it.

Two new P4G pv's, one has nothing new in it but this one has some new opening hijinxes(Teddie reindeer costume etc, apparently a Dojima costume for Yu aswell though I couldn't spot it) and a new song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAD1VmLXz14&feature=player_embedded!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Justice posted:

Nerds are destined to destroy what they love. :tizzy:

I do regard Atlus USA with contempt, though, if that validates your fear.

Wait, I am confused. Haven't you said here before that you work for Atlus USA in translating these games? Doesn't that mean you hold contempt for your own work?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Dastardly posted:

Couldn't see that anyone had posted this so I might aswell do it.

Two new P4G pv's, one has nothing new in it but this one has some new opening hijinxes(Teddie reindeer costume etc, apparently a Dojima costume for Yu aswell though I couldn't spot it) and a new song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAD1VmLXz14&feature=player_embedded!

There's only one thing that came to mind watching that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Technique posted:

Do this, but kill off the S-Links so that the character development can finally feel natural again instead of DING! YOU LEVELED UP YOUR FRIENDSHIP. TOMMY IS NO LONGER AFRAID OF SPIDERS.

TOMMY WILL NOW TAKE A BULLET FOR YOU.

I don't mind the idea of there being some mechanical bonuses for hanging around characters. I think Devil Survivor 2 handled it a little better than Persona 4, though, since the events that could rank you up actually varied based on what was going on with the rest of the plot.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I'd say it's about time they post the whole opening goodness. Isn't the release only a month and a half away?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Soul Hackers. There's another picture but its just like this one only without any kind of screenshot included. I think the girl's in-game model looks pixellated still.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Tallgeese posted:

Wait, I am confused. Haven't you said here before that you work for Atlus USA in translating these games? Doesn't that mean you hold contempt for your own work?

I did work for them, and I do have contempt for them.

Also I don't see why someone can't hate what they do for a living, or themselves. You must not have much of an imagination.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Soul Hackers. There's another picture but its just like this one only without any kind of screenshot included. I think the girl's in-game model looks pixellated still.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Justice posted:

I did work for them, and I do have contempt for them.

Also I don't see why someone can't hate what they do for a living, or themselves. You must not have much of an imagination.

Ah ha, "did". I figured that was the case. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

Well obviously someone can hate their own work, but not someone who went out of their way to promote it so much in these forums in the past. I have more than adequate imagination, thank you for the attempted insult.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I never went out of the way to promote myself or my job, I just really like that one game so I wanted to celebrate it :)

e: it wasn't an insult, I figured your lord didn't give angels an imagination so they couldn't rebel or something

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 25, 2012

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
All of the "lol anime" talk is kind of trite. There are actual animes of the anime games. The dork oroborus comes full circle as a matter of marketing. Why yes water is wet.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Justice posted:

I never went out of the way to promote myself or my job, I just really like that one game so I wanted to celebrate it :)

I see; very well then. At the time I could not tell the difference, since that was when I paid most attention.

I apologize for the slight derail, I was simply curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Persona 5's gonna be poo poo anyway, where is my Nocturne sequel Atlus :argh: That's what I really care about.