Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Added a retextures section to the second post.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Retextures
For the most part, the retextures available for the Witcher 2 are crap. People with no eye for style and no skill with photoshop doing stupid poo poo like giving Geralt Naruto eyes and poo poo. There are, however, a few solid, if not downright great retextures out there. All of these are first playthrough safe.

There's no accounting for personal taste, but I've tried to keep a high standard for quality in what I put in this section.

Better Texture Environment - These retextures are surprisingly competent, keeping in line with the original textures' style, and I haven't seen any noticeable impact on performance. At time of this writing, the weapon retextures have not been updated for EE, and cause problems.

Return of the White Wolf - Gives Geralt back his milky white hair, instead of the grey he has currently.

Slight face lift - Gives Geralt's skin a little more color, and cleans up the huge purple bags around his eyes. This and Return of the White Wolf are hugely recommended, I think it makes Geralt look a lot better. Install this after the above mod.

Scabbard re-textures - Some pretty kickass scabbard retextures, really gives them some good flavor. I prefer worn leather.

Blue Stripes Combat Jacket - A solid recolor of the Blue Stripes jacket you can get via DLC and Mysterious Merchant.

Concept art/trailer Dragonscale Armor - Retextures the dragonscale armor to what we saw in concept art and early trailers. Looks pretty drat good, really nailed the colors.

If you find any you like, let me know and I'll tell you you're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Has CDProjeckt said anything about the third game? They ended 1 on a huge twist then never said a drat thing till that internal video got leaked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Healing potions being entirely a preventative measure that you chug ahead of time is pretty fresh. Was the toxicity thing in Witcher 1? It's a nice idea in both setting lore and in gameplay. Keeps the min-maxing from going out of control.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speedball posted:

Healing potions being entirely a preventative measure that you chug ahead of time is pretty fresh. Was the toxicity thing in Witcher 1? It's a nice idea in both setting lore and in gameplay. Keeps the min-maxing from going out of control.

Yes it had a toxicity system even though you could still handle insane amounts of potions.

Potions are really annoying in Witcher 2 though since they are no longer easy insta-use things.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Aurubin posted:

Has CDProjeckt said anything about the third game? They ended 1 on a huge twist then never said a drat thing till that internal video got leaked.

They haven't, but you'd be insane to think that, now with Enhanced Edition out, they aren't in at least the planning stages for The Witcher 3: Nilfgaard's Best Dance Crew.

etalian posted:

Yes it had a toxicity system even though you could still handle insane amounts of potions.

Potions are really annoying in Witcher 2 though since they are no longer easy insta-use things.
I would have liked the ability to chug a potion without meditating, but having to go through an animation that could be interrupted. It'd be a nice other layer; be proactive and drink in peace prior to a battle, or see if you can't grab a moment to breathe and drink up when you have a billion nekkers clawing at your face.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Aurubin posted:

If you see the new ending scene after the credits, it pretty much spells out that there is going to be a third game. A crazy, crazy third game.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of miss having to make potions using high-quality liquor as a base. Geralt's like Bender, he operates best half in the bag.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Beanpants posted:

A crazy, crazy third game.

At the very beginning you'll get a choice between a red, blue, and green potion. Depending on which one you drink the entire game afterwards changes, with the only similarity being rolling credits arranged in the shape of a giant middle finger.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Coughing Hobo posted:

They haven't, but you'd be insane to think that, now with Enhanced Edition out, they aren't in at least the planning stages for The Witcher 3: Nilfgaard's Best Dance Crew.

I would have liked the ability to chug a potion without meditating, but having to go through an animation that could be interrupted. It'd be a nice other layer; be proactive and drink in peace prior to a battle, or see if you can't grab a moment to breathe and drink up when you have a billion nekkers clawing at your face.

Potions should be used like in the Jackie Chan Drunken Master movies.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
I hope they decide to revive the Rise of the White Wolf project they were working on and remake the first game with the second's engine. I would prefer the final game first, but I think combining the first game's plot with the second's gameplay and suitable re-balancing would be awesome.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Omnicarus posted:

At the very beginning you'll get a choice between a red, blue, and green potion. Depending on which one you drink the entire game afterwards changes, with the only similarity being rolling credits arranged in the shape of a giant middle finger.

I mean I'm not surprised given your custom title, but was this necessary?

I would love to see a third game in this series. CDPR probably produces some of the highest level of polish (I hate this pun) work in the industry. If I were less lazy, I would look into the development length and budget of the two games in comparison to other studios but I refuse to believe these guys aren't some of the most talented devs around. Compared to other RPGs released at their respective times, both games have some fantastic graphics. The witcher 2 still amazes me walking through the forests with the sunbeams streaming down.

I'm not saying both games don't have their problems (bugs, bad design decisions, etc) but they're still great.

They had better bring back the booze component to alchemy though. I also miss the secondary ingredient effects.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

etalian posted:

Around 30% the real meat of the game is in the second Act while the final Act is really threadbare and doesn't take much time to finish.

Awesome! Then I'll have time to do a second playthrough before the Diablo 3 release.

Though after shutting down that session, Steam told me that Dead Space 2 was only $5. I can see me and Steam are going to get along just fine.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I hope they decide to revive the Rise of the White Wolf project they were working on and remake the first game with the second's engine. I would prefer the final game first, but I think combining the first game's plot with the second's gameplay and suitable re-balancing would be awesome.

I think that would be more expensive to do than the Witcher 2. The first game was about twice as long with much more areas. I mean, it would be nice, but I rather have them make Witcher 3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I got the game (both scenarios) when it was first released on PC but now I'm tempted to replay the EE. Got any tips for mixing things up to keep the experience fresh?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are mutagens still limited to skills that aren't at level 2 yet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm sold on the Witcher series now. I just gambled with a dwarf, outdrank him after downing six beers and fine wines, then drunkenly stumbled over to and beat the poo poo out of some old fist fighter.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I miss the alchemy system from the first game too. Even without having to scrounge up top-shelf liquor for bases, the second "synergy" property of the various materials lent it more depth.

All albedo, all the time.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I never had enough ingredients in the first game so I didn't bother making anything but Swallow.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Asehujiko posted:

Are mutagens still limited to skills that aren't at level 2 yet?

Were they ever? Mutagens are limited to specific skills, regardless of level.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Is it just me or is arena really unbalanced? All my fights so far have been me throwing grapebombs and then once I'm out just spamming igni until one is left standing.

I tried easy but it was a joke. I barely had to do anything and won.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sold on the Witcher series now. I just gambled with a dwarf, outdrank him after downing six beers and fine wines, then drunkenly stumbled over to and beat the poo poo out of some old fist fighter.

Pro-tip for the original games, for the drinking contests use the weakest Natty Light booze since the game only seems to count number of drinks chugged and going with stronger one only makes things worse.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

etalian posted:

Pro-tip for the original games, for the drinking contests use the weakest Natty Light booze since the game only seems to count number of drinks chugged and going with stronger one only makes things worse.

Also, make some wives tears potions for when you don't want to shrug off the hangover naturally. You can make potions without even knowing the recipe. Just look up the ingredients and combine them and it will make an unknown potion. Drink that and it will have the desired effect assuming you mixed it right. It may kill you if you gently caress it up :v: I think any that you make after that point will be properly labeled too.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just started replaying the game after patching it into the EE version. Holy poo poo that new opening cinematic! And Holy poo poo is Arena mode hard!

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

I'd be surprised if CDProjekt didn't put some reference to Mass Effect like that in the third Witcher game, they've got a history of :iceburn: on Bioware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4 (read the description)

edit: forgot about the dev diary :v: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBU4akKPlgs

Mahuum Aqoha fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 25, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Anybody have any advice for what to set to squeeze out as much quality/performance as I can? For what its worth, I have a Radeon HD 6850, i5-2500K, 8GB of RAM. I intend to run the game at 1920x1080. I imagine blur and bloom will probably be the first to go, though any recommendations would be welcome. I'm guessing mods probably don't hold any answers right now, what with the move over to the EE.

I've heard that using an Xbox controller works pretty well with the PC version as well, especially since it seems more action oriented than the first game. I'll probably try both, but what do you guys prefer?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really wonder how Witcher 3 will handle choices.

I just saw both endings, and they offer drastically different scenarios for how things are going to go in the future.

On my Roche run, it pretty much outright stated the North will win, as it mentioned Anais will learn from Roche/Natalis how to be a badass warrior Queen and will crush Radovids forces when he comes to claim Temeria "several years after the second Great Nilfgaard War", and will destroy all opposition to her rule among the barons/other nations, becoming a better leader then even her father.

On my Iorveth run though, it basically just popped up with a "What the gently caress was wrong with you getting rid of your neutrality? Now that you got played by Nilfgaard the North is super hosed! At least the nonhumans will be free to live under the totalitarian regime of the Emhyr, a man who wants to kill you so he can sleep with your/his daughter!"

If they are going for two entirely different paths good on them I guess, but I wonder if they'll just pull another Triss/Shani and make one canon for the future battles.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Rookersh posted:

I just saw both endings, and they offer drastically different scenarios for how things are going to go in the future.

On my Roche run, it pretty much outright stated the North will win, as it mentioned Anais will learn from Roche/Natalis how to be a badass warrior Queen and will crush Radovids forces when he comes to claim Temeria "several years after the second Great Nilfgaard War", and will destroy all opposition to her rule among the barons/other nations, becoming a better leader then even her father.

On my Iorveth run though, it basically just popped up with a "What the gently caress was wrong with you getting rid of your neutrality? Now that you got played by Nilfgaard the North is super hosed! At least the nonhumans will be free to live under the totalitarian regime of the Emhyr, a man who wants to kill you so he can sleep with your/his daughter!"

If they are going for two entirely different paths good on them I guess, but I wonder if they'll just pull another Triss/Shani and make one canon for the future battles.

Remember that the Witcher 2 pretty much decided peoples choices in a way they preferred. The game comes off as assuming everyone went Triss, though not overtly

They could also just set up the third game to make the changes neutralized, as well.
Vergen getting conquered, for example, would allow the developers to avoid having to deal with it. Both Roche and Iorveth survive the game. Saskia is the main decision that would probably be like Triss in the Witcher 2

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ChetReckless posted:

Anybody have any advice for what to set to squeeze out as much quality/performance as I can? For what its worth, I have a Radeon HD 6850, i5-2500K, 8GB of RAM. I intend to run the game at 1920x1080. I imagine blur and bloom will probably be the first to go, though any recommendations would be welcome. I'm guessing mods probably don't hold any answers right now, what with the move over to the EE.

I've heard that using an Xbox controller works pretty well with the PC version as well, especially since it seems more action oriented than the first game. I'll probably try both, but what do you guys prefer?
I've only used the xbox controller but I really don't see any reason to use a keyboard and mouse when I have that, it isn't an FPS or anything.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Rookersh posted:

I don't think the Witcher 3 will delve into the details of northern politics too deeply.

It will probably be located mainly in Nilfgaard itself as Geralt seeks out Yennefer and deals with Emhyr, who used to be his friend. The player's choices in 2 will most likely have to do with who is in what position to deal with the invasion on a broad level, much like how TW1's story feeds into TW2.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

I'd be surprised if CDProjekt didn't put some reference to Mass Effect like that in the third Witcher game, they've got a history of :iceburn: on Bioware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4 (read the description)

edit: forgot about the dev diary :v: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBU4akKPlgs

Maybe I'm dense (very likely) but what specifically stood out to you as anti-bioware? The morality issue was the only thing that really stood out to me.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

Maybe I'm dense (very likely) but what specifically stood out to you as anti-bioware? The morality issue was the only thing that really stood out to me.

It was mostly a burn on Dragon Age II and their whole "press button, something awesome happens" marketing snafu.

SweeneyTodd
May 30, 2002

Forums Barber
Picked this up on 360, just made it into Chapter II. Great game so far, really beautiful visuals. I figured I'd give Iorveth a chance since he was a bastard but just more interesting than Vernor.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Witcher 3 speculation It seems to me they set the Wild Hunt up as being the true threat. In the first and second game, you learn that the Hunt is trying to find people with Elder Blood/Lara's gene so they can open stable portals to other worlds and conquer them. That's why the King of the Hunt wanted you to give him the Grand Master in the first game and probably why they abducted Yennefer and subsequently gave her back. Alvin/Jacques de Aldesburg is a carrier of Lara's gene, while Yennefer is not a carrier iirc.

I'm guessing the third game will open with Nilfgaard ploughing the north. How well they do may depend on your choices in the second game. I imagine the Wild Hunt will show up for real rather than as just a cavalcade of spectral riders and start loving everyone up.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Witcher 3 speculation It seems to me they set the Wild Hunt up as being the true threat. In the first and second game, you learn that the Hunt is trying to find people with Elder Blood/Lara's gene so they can open stable portals to other worlds and conquer them. That's why the King of the Hunt wanted you to give him the Grand Master in the first game and probably why they abducted Yennefer and subsequently gave her back. Alvin/Jacques de Aldesburg is a carrier of Lara's gene, while Yennefer is not a carrier iirc.

I'm guessing the third game will open with Nilfgaard ploughing the north. How well they do may depend on your choices in the second game. I imagine the Wild Hunt will show up for real rather than as just a cavalcade of spectral riders and start loving everyone up.

Sounds plausible, but also rather unfortunate if you ask me because...

The Wild Hunt stuff and Geralt's personal questline is nowhere near as welll-done as the political/war storylines. Actually, I think that goes for roughly a lot of the more "high-fantasy", supernatural concepts such as the Wild Hunt, the Mist in Act 2 and reliving the past... I think when the devs go into those territories, it's not nearly as effective as the more down-to-earth stuff.

badomen
Mar 8, 2004
I'm in act 2 and I was doing a quest where you see a giant chicken and a forest of "mushrooms". Only they were not mushrooms, they were clearly dicks. A forest of dicks.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

badomen posted:

I'm in act 2 and I was doing a quest where you see a giant chicken and a forest of "mushrooms". Only they were not mushrooms, they were clearly dicks. A forest of dicks.

Close. If you look closely, they're the wooden dildos from Flotsam's brothel writ enormous.

Geralt's comment afterwards really sold that quest.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
edit: dammit

badomen
Mar 8, 2004

Leb posted:

Close. If you look closely, they're the wooden dildos from Flotsam's brothel writ enormous.

Geralt's comment afterwards really sold that quest.

The relief in the voice of the quest giver when you go back to him was spot on too.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

I just realized that half of the citizens in this game don't wear pants. I thought it was a bug at the time, and now looking at the xbox footage the people of flotsam still don't wear pants. Have they ever said anything about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I mean I'm not surprised given your custom title, but was this necessary?

I would love to see a third game in this series. CDPR probably produces some of the highest level of polish (I hate this pun) work in the industry. If I were less lazy, I would look into the development length and budget of the two games in comparison to other studios but I refuse to believe these guys aren't some of the most talented devs around. Compared to other RPGs released at their respective times, both games have some fantastic graphics. The witcher 2 still amazes me walking through the forests with the sunbeams streaming down.

I'm not saying both games don't have their problems (bugs, bad design decisions, etc) but they're still great.

I'm guessing you're not familiar with Mass Effect 3 and its whole ending fiasco? His post was, I think, a general compliment to CD Projekt. Essentially, everything Bioware did wrong with Mass Effect 3, they did right with Witcher 2.

ME3 was basically my pre-order last straw, but based on what they've done with Witcher 2, I'll pre-order 3 without hesitation.

• Locked thread