Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Okay, Zimmy's scared, I'm outta here, tell me how it ends. :ohdear:

I think you have the right idea.
Zimmy.
Scared.
I'm concerned :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

Well, looks like Annie might be in trouble.

Also, Gamma's looking a bit... worn out. Maybe it's just her makeup combined with the higher detail in the art, but it looks like she's getting the same dark bags under her eyes that people tend to get when they spend too much time in Zimmy's ethereal world.

e: Actually, looking closer, it seems like it's just the art detail. Her eyes look about the same as they did in Spring Heeled. And her power seems to be immunity to Zimmy's ethereal craziness, so it wouldn't make sense as a theory anyway.

Gamma's always sleep deprived because she tries to stay up as long as Zimmy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

e: Actually, looking closer, it seems like it's just the art detail. Her eyes look about the same as they did in Spring Heeled. And her power seems to be immunity to Zimmy's ethereal craziness, so it wouldn't make sense as a theory anyway.

I wouldn't say she's immune entirely. She didn't even realise they were in Zimmy's dream world during Spring Heeled until someone pointed it out. But she does seem to have the ability to see Zimmy when she thinks she's someone else and break through some illusions.

But yeah, Gamma's always been bags-under-the-eyes looking unhealthy as hell because she barely ever sleeps trying to keep up with Zimmy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Note: Zimmy's clothes suddenly change when she runs into Gamma. Probably from what she perceives as Annie's clothes to what she perceives as her clothes, because she's more stable when Gamma's around.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Dodgeball posted:

Gah! Look at the doors in the first panel:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=212

Love going back and finding stuff like that.

???

???

Also Zimmy's hair is tinted blood red, another connected to Annie or just a freaky ether detail?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JT Jag posted:

Note: Zimmy's clothes suddenly change when she runs into Gamma. Probably from what she perceives as Annie's clothes to what she perceives as her clothes, because she's more stable when Gamma's around.

It changes from her old homeless Birmingham clothes to her Gunnerkrigg-provided uniform. She goes to the Birmingham ones whenever she flashes back to there.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm really curious where this is going, but if I had to guess I'd say it's connected with Jeanne in some way. The cut Jeanne left on Annie is obviously important and the fact that it showed up in the first page seems significant to me. Something's scaring Zimmy, and given their dialogue I'd bet it involves Annie at least. It feels to me like it's Jeanne's 'turn' for more plot, but I'm stoked no matter what.

I mean something's got Zimmy terrified in a way we haven't seen since before she was at the Court. I think we have big things in store for this chapter.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Kat seemed rather offput by the idea that anyone would think that they're more than "just friends", is the reason why I'm wondering.

It was interesting that in the very next chapter she deliberately wore more girly clothes than she usually does, and moved away from casual contact with Annie (which is unusual for her). And then of course she chucked the girly stuff for the mechanic's outfit she clearly feels more comfortable in when the situation demanded it. There's some kind of emotional process going on there but I don't think we can say precisely what yet.

Scrree posted:

Also Zimmy's hair is tinted blood red, another connected to Annie or just a freaky ether detail?

This may be a coincidence, but I've noticed things in the ether seem red-lined or red-tinted when they're dangerous. (Just take a look at Coyote's outline sometime, since he's basically ethereal no matter what world he's in.)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

1stGear posted:

Oh man, almost forgot Zimmy's official theme music. Turn your volume up!

Don't turn your volume up.
I actually think of numbers stations as something she'd hear all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McFRonD-sjg

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Scrree posted:

???

???

It looks like the symbol on the last panel here.

Zeond
Oct 16, 2008

Please give generously to The League for Fighting Chartered Accountancy, 55 Lincoln House, Basil Street, London, SW3.

Rasamune posted:

That symbol has also specifically been associated with Kat in the Fourth Treatise

Anybody have any idea on what it is? I looked up old alchemy symbols like Annie's but could not find something similar.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Tom mentioned on his Formspring a while back that it was a design he made up.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Bongo Bill posted:

"Gamma Gams," he says, but I don't see any gams on this page.

Please forgive me for that pun. I have a Condition.

It's a code! You can only see them if you beam a physical print of the page with gamma rays! :v:

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It was interesting that in the very next chapter she deliberately wore more girly clothes than she usually does, and moved away from casual contact with Annie (which is unusual for her). And then of course she chucked the girly stuff for the mechanic's outfit she clearly feels more comfortable in when the situation demanded it. There's some kind of emotional process going on there but I don't think we can say precisely what yet.

The shying away from casual/social contact just struck me as a "nope, not into ladies" kneejerk reaction from Kat - it was obvious at least to me that the conversation with Paz was still on her mind during that encounter, and that's why she reacted "strangely" from the view of others there.

It's not an uncommon thing - I guess the closest example I can think of is a friend running the phrase "no homo" into the ground during any even remotely questionable (to him) situation after I came out to him. Kat hardly has been having as severe of a reaction here, but the situations seem similar enough to merit the comparison.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nipponophile posted:

Tom mentioned on his Formspring a while back that it was a design he made up.

It's a light bulb filament in the shape of a happy face.

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2012

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Rasamune posted:

No. No, it doesn't. Some times a stylish door is just a stylish door.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Bongo Bill posted:

"Gamma Gams," he says, but I don't see any gams on this page.

Please forgive me for that pun. I have a Condition.

I wonder if gams was even ever a slang term in ye olde Britannia.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

dictionary.com posted:

— vb , gams , gamming , gammed
4. ( intr ) (of whales) to form a school
5. nautical (of members of the crews of whalers) to visit (each other) informally
6. ( US ) ( tr ) to visit or exchange visits with

Maybe Gamma wants to start their own school? :confused:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Oh.

What happened? :ohdear:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
What the hell happened between chapters? :ohdear:

Robot and Shadow are a couple I guess?? sure why not.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Zorak posted:

I took it more as that they just comforting each other because they are worried about Annie.

Also, pulling something like this on a friday, when we have to wait an entire weekend for an update is just cruel, Tom. :mad:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The more I look at this strip the weirder it seems. At first I'd interpreted the last few panels as Kat glaring at Zimmy, which obviously isn't the case given that Kat is clearly looking at Annie in the sixth panel. This raises the question of why Kat looks so furious.

More importantly, Annie please be ok? :ohdear:

Wili posted:

This sure looks like a happy chapter with all these lighthearted uplifting pages. Can't wait for City Face to show up and save the day.

I think she is looking at Annie while angrily thinking about whoever is responsible for these developments.

Likely so. I suppose my real question is what happened to Annie that would cause Kat to be so angry.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 27, 2012

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
This sure looks like a happy chapter with all these lighthearted uplifting pages. Can't wait for City Face to show up and save the day.

The Walker posted:

This raises the question of why Kat looks so furious.

I think she is looking at Annie while angrily thinking about whoever is responsible for these developments.

Wili fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 27, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
All that salt in Eglamore's baking... :negative:

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Based on Kat's eyes and somewhat gaunt look, I'm guessing it's more a case of looking haggard due to staying by Annie's bedside for an extended time. If she does look frustrated/angry it's likely because of that, coupled with whatever caused this. Also, I wonder if the faded coloring of Annie's hair is connected to what's happening with Zimmy, or if it's simply due to the dim lighting. The wait for Monday's strip is going to be rough. Also, bonus :3: for Reynardine.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 27, 2012

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Zorak posted:

People who are new to the 3rd dimension tend to be really into snuggling.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
God drat it the wait for Monday's update is gonna be a killer. :(

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Madrox posted:

Based on Kat's eyes and somewhat gaunt look, I'm guessing it's more a case of looking haggard due to staying by Annie's bedside for an extended time. If she does look frustrated/angry it's likely because of that, coupled with whatever caused this. Also, I wonder if the faded coloring of Annie's hair is connected to what's happening with Zimmy, or if it's simply due to the dim lighting. The wait for Monday's strip is going to be rough. Also, bonus :3: for Reynardine.

Pretty sure you are right about the hair, it's been a sort of signifier of her fire before. Perhaps Zimmy has inadvertently borrowed some of that fire.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Apparently the more dramatic the chapter, the fewer avatars it generates.

This is looking to be a zero avatar chapter :ohdear:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I don't know, that's a pretty intense Zimmy shot.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Laser Cow posted:

Pretty sure you are right about the hair, it's been a sort of signifier of her fire before. Perhaps Zimmy has inadvertently borrowed some of that fire.

I think it's obvious that Tom has decided to turn his comic into a preachy propaganda piece about the evils of teenage pregnancy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A bunch of scalpels fell out of the sky, that's all.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fatkraken posted:

Apparently the more dramatic the chapter, the fewer avatars it generates.

This is looking to be a zero avatar chapter :ohdear:

Not if I can help it!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Maybe they tried to take on Jeanne and it went wrong. :ohdear:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Is Zimmy in the same room there, or is it an ominous shot to signify this all has to do with her? It's hard to tell.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!

Nettle Soup posted:

Maybe they tried to take on Jeanne and it went wrong. :ohdear:

I hope not. Because that begs the question; where are Parley and Smitty?

And that is a question too painful to be asked.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Smooching, forgetting they're late for something! That's why Annie's in hospital.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

YF-23 posted:

Is Zimmy in the same room there, or is it an ominous shot to signify this all has to do with her? It's hard to tell.
Gamma demanded that she stop running from the bits of Annie's spirit that are clinging to her and help, so that's probably her arriving at the hospital.

But is Annie's fire-head and scratch clinging to Zimmy because of one of her freak-outs, or something else entirely?

Zorak posted:

Hard to say what kind of relationship a robot and a... thing can have, but we've gotten a few hints a while back about this.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I don't think Zimmy is in the room. The door is behind Kat and it's shut. It's just showing the narative moving out of the room and back to Zimmy. Back into a flashback probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Oh, now that's interesting. I bet we're coming up on X days earlier.