Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

It's a Japanese acronym for the "Visit this play sometime" segments. They actually use the term on the show occasionally though we change it to "arcade visit" or something along those lines because it's something that wouldn't make a lot of sense to a new viewer.

On a more amusing note, thanks to a deal on shipping from Japan I went ahead and ordered a lot more games used on the show that I could get for less than 500 yen. I am finally getting a copy of Go, Yuu Yu's Quiz! Go! that I'm sure will be a centerpiece of my collection.

I hope to see that and the season 15 quiz episode subbed soon. Watched the raw for yu yu's and it looked fun as the whole staff got involved. Need to watch the s15 quiz show raw later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zari-gani posted:

The Kotaku 12/DVD episodes are exactly the same as the Japanese DVD episodes -- challenges only, with some music changes. The DVD releases in Japan are cut like that to begin with. Even in Japan, they can't release a lot of stuff on DVD due to legal reasons.

That's a drat shame. I always liked the trip reports. :(

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

rdbbb posted:

Reposting the remix version lyrics:

And I'll quit being a jerk and let you listen to it.

Are the other songs on this album as catchy as this one?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Are the other songs on this album as catchy as this one?

Sample them for yourself.

Cutriss
Feb 18, 2011

This space intentionally left blank.

xamphear posted:

Okay, so I'm at PAX East. Which one of you did I StreePass with? Your message was "Kacho On" and you'll recognize me because my message was also
"Kacho On"!
A little late, wasn't me, but I had two friends come up to my place for PAX East. One of them took a little while to figure out why he should bother with StreetPass, but once I got it set up for him, he was the one with GCCX2 in his "now playing" data. I'm pretty sure he didn't set "Kacho On" as his greeting, I think it was just "Hello". He spent most of his time in Classic Consoles.

I know I definitely tagged at least one person with Kacho On, but since I can't see the greetings after-the-fact, I'll just have to take it for granted that it was you. :P

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Were either of you Robert B from Colorado? It's the only GCCX related tag I think I got because their last played game was Retro Game Challenge. Also just when I thought I was done Nintendo releases a new puzzle today.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Tewratomeh posted:

The Beavis and Butt-Head DVD's are a shining example. As far as I know, every DVD episode to date has had every music video segment stripped out due to licensing issues.

Actually, the newest set they dropped that has all the new episodes from this year has the music video segments and the Jersey Shore segments still on it. Which is great because those Jersey Shore segments are loving hilarious.

Cutriss
Feb 18, 2011

cronox2 posted:

Were either of you Robert B from Colorado? It's the only GCCX related tag I think I got because their last played game was Retro Game Challenge. Also just when I thought I was done Nintendo releases a new puzzle today.
Negative, but I did tag him. My friend had GCCX2, and I varied between NA titles, but my name is the same as my SA account.

Cutriss
Feb 18, 2011

To whom it may concern:

Finally got my seedbox back online. Even though I had direct-downloads for all the episodes, I wanted to go ahead and seed what I could.

One of the TV Nihon torrent links in the first post is broken (Transformers Mystery of Convoy), and two of the links (Kid Dracula, Yo Noid!) are still to direct-download services.

Also the second line of the links for Legend of the Mystical Ninja and LoZ:LttP points to MegaUpload, as well as the Standard Quality links in Season 9.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I recently got a Vita and I want the lock screen wallpaper that was posted here earlier, but I don't even have a general idea where in these 100 pages to find it. Does anyone here still have it (and could put it up)? Thank you

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Vlaphor posted:

I recently got a Vita and I want the lock screen wallpaper that was posted here earlier, but I don't even have a general idea where in these 100 pages to find it. Does anyone here still have it (and could put it up)? Thank you

Here you go.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Here's the one rdbbb put together with the castle sprites.

unsupervised
Sep 2, 2011

xamphear posted:

Okay, so I'm at PAX East. Which one of you did I StreePass with? Your message was "Kacho On" and you'll recognize me because my message was also
"Kacho On"!

Hey, it was me! I somehow missed this when you posted it. I streetpassed with 700 people at PAX East as a confusing and incredibly inefficient way of spreading the word about the show. Anyone I streetpassed with again got some variation on "Google Game Center CX / SAGCCX" as a personal greeting.

I was crazy excited when I saw yours. I got one other GCCX reply on a personal greeting so we're out there.

The large retrogaming community at PAX makes me wonder if PATV might be a good fit for the show...

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Thanks. That's the one I was looking for. Now I just need to find out how to use it. I'm sure Google will help me there.

Edit--Done.

Vlaphor fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I still wish someone would make a background that has the sprites sitting on thrones.

Also would love wallpapers based on the Samurai King and Dark King backgrounds.

makere
Jan 14, 2012

joek0 posted:

I hope to see that and the season 15 quiz episode subbed soon. Watched the raw for yu yu's and it looked fun as the whole staff got involved. Need to watch the s15 quiz show raw later.

I really enjoyed the season 15 quiz one (ep 125), it has been on top of my list of "episodes I want to see subtitled" ever since it aired. The theme in the game is just so obscure, like you wouldn't think that there could be a quiz game with a theme of raising up your daughter.

makere fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 24, 2012

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

makere posted:

I realy enjoyed the season 15 quiz one (ep 125), it has been on top of my list of "episodes I want to see subtitled" ever since it aired. The theme in the game is just so obscure, like you wouldn't think that there could be a quiz game with a theme of raising up your daughter.

Now I want to see Arino play Princess Maker.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Now I want to see Arino play Princess Maker.

Man, I loved that game as a kid/teenager.

Then I grew up and realised it had a rape scene, and a developer-illustrated nude cheat for all the girl's ages.

Regardless, I'm just really not sure I want to see Arino in charge of the welfare of a small child loli anime.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Undoubtedly he'd have her work at the seedy bar or cabaret or whatever they called in that game.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Light Gun Man posted:

Undoubtedly he'd have her work at the seedy bar or cabaret or whatever they called in that game.

There was one of each! :v:

:smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Thursday is the airing of the new episode, corrct?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Yup.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I started playing Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer to prepare for the translation... This game is really brutal. :(

I'm 2.5 episodes away from finishing the DVD eps, asides from the recently added Shiren and Ninja Gaiden 2.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 29, 2012

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

I started playing Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer to prepare for the translation... This game is really brutal. :(
Stick with it if you like it, it's one of those games that has a reverse difficulty curve. The more you help out townsfolk and develop friendships with the NPCs you meet in the dungeon, the better off you'll be on the coming runs. I really love the Shiren series, and as slow-paced as the episodes are, I'm still pretty stoked that they're included in the DVDs.

If I recall, they kind of cheated the system by giving Arino a leveled sword after the first episode. It's only fair that he loses it. I only wish that a rice baby could've turned it into a riceball for him. A rotten riceball. :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I do like it so far. With any hope I'll have the patience to hang in there and get the most out of the game.

As for Arino's challenge, that's a big complaint from the Japanese fandom. They also say it's frustrating to watch if you've played the game yourself, so it'll be interesting watching it again after my run.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Discotek just posted this on their Facebook page.

quote:

The Retro Game Master Game Center CX collection will come out in September. We'll announce the exact date next week. It will have 14 episodes!

I thought they said August... :confused:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

loving Shiren. loving rice babies. loving NPCs who constantly get lost and left behind, or run off blindly to get steamrolled by the cluster of enemies I'm actively trying to avoid. I never actually got through the main story. Fusing weapons is a dick, too. I think I just quit after my powerlevelled gold-fused sword got rusted and then stolen the very second I stepped on an unequip trap.

Shiren has all the rear end in a top hat roguelike aspects and few of the fun ones. :(

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Obeast posted:

I thought they said August... :confused:

They said they were hoping for August but that it might be September. Guess that officially gets rid of the "might".

I don't mind though, given the expanded scope of the set.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Corridor posted:

gold-fused sword got rusted and
Gold status swords can't rust, that's what makes them special. :ssh:
I think the fact that the game had so many rear end in a top hat roguelike elements actually made it more fun for me. I've yet to see any way in which someone has really broken the game. The randomly generated items just don't give you enough leeway, and there's always the chance something really unfortunate could happen to you and your powerleveled super-sword.

The most memorable Shiren death I've had: a wonderful run only to have a rice baby turn my jar full of eight riceballs into one riceball. I starved to death. The irony is what makes it most memorable. I've had my fair share of bad beats like anyone who's played through Shiren.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

loving Shiren. loving rice babies. loving NPCs who constantly get lost and left behind, or run off blindly to get steamrolled by the cluster of enemies I'm actively trying to avoid. I never actually got through the main story. Fusing weapons is a dick, too. I think I just quit after my powerlevelled gold-fused sword got rusted and then stolen the very second I stepped on an unequip trap.

Shiren has all the rear end in a top hat roguelike aspects and few of the fun ones. :(

I have found the little lost girl three times and each time I've fallen in a pit trap before getting her out. For those who don't know, that sends you to the next level and anyone with you is just gone. There's a lot of dick moves in that game.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree
I really liked the main story aspects of Shiren but tired of the post game stuff faster than any other roguelike that I beat.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey zari-gani, random question... if you're going to translate a wordy boring episode that you hate and find tedious, why didn't you pick Princess Tomato instead? I mean I'm cool with either one, just wondering.

Tempura Wizard posted:

Gold status swords can't rust, that's what makes them special. :ssh:

Yeah, that's why I said it pissed me off when it rusted and weapon-fusing is a dick. I looked it up and there was something about how if you fuse it a bunch of times with other stuff it cancels out the gold trait or something. Maybe. I don't remember anymore. But I remember it was dumb.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Because I didn't choose to do Shiren. This is for the DVD.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Corridor posted:

Hey zari-gani, random question... if you're going to translate a wordy boring episode that you hate and find tedious, why didn't you pick Princess Tomato instead? I mean I'm cool with either one, just wondering.

She's not the one that picks what episodes go on the DVD.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Corridor posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it pissed me off when it rusted and weapon-fusing is a dick. I looked it up and there was something about how if you fuse it a bunch of times with other stuff it cancels out the gold trait or something. Maybe. I don't remember anymore. But I remember it was dumb.

IIRC, the Gold Sword's actual trait is "increased sell price", and the anti-rusting is just an inherent quality of the base weapon (shared with the club and wooden/leather shield I think?). So it doesn't transfer in fusing, but it also can't be stripped away by high-level rusting monsters. Alternately, you were fighting said high-level rust monsters and lost the plating that way.

Honestly, Tempura Wizard was absolutely right when he said the game had a reverse difficulty curve. 99% of the game is learning the little tricks that give you an advantage - how to handle each monster type, what the available scrolls/armbands/pots/herbs/etc. are (and if needed storing a copy of each in a storehouse so it'll be auto-ID'd on future runs), that you should be pretty much just skip straight through the trial floors because they're infinitely harder than the actual final floor, that sort of thing. I know personally that I had a ton of trouble learning all that in the SNES version, and then when I tried the DS port I literally beat the main campaign straight through on the first try.

The post-game stuff is totally unfair though, no question.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Corridor posted:

Honestly, I thought Shiren went a little easy on the rear end in a top hat aspects compared to NetHack. It's still hard as gently caress (I've never beaten it), but it definitely feels easier than NetHack.

I've only played the DS version (it's been a while since I've played it) and I remember it actually keeps the names of the staffs and wands you find after you die, so it makes it a bit easier to know if you have a staff/wand worth keeping or not.

With all this Shiren talk, I'd love to watch Arino attempt Binding of Isaac. It doesn't seem to be as hard as Shiren, but it still can pull some major dick moves to screw you up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I had the DS version of Shiren and never managed to get deeper than a few dungeon floors in. It just didn't appeal to me. I like roguelikes, too. I've played a decent bit of crawl and ZHP is one of my favorite PSP games. Shiren is just dull.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Because I didn't choose to do Shiren. This is for the DVD.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise Shiren was one of those.

Obeast posted:

Honestly, I thought Shiren went a little easy on the rear end in a top hat aspects compared to NetHack. It's still hard as gently caress (I've never beaten it), but it definitely feels easier than NetHack.

Dude, that's like saying that Mario feels a little easier than Adventure Island.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I can't get any multiupload links to work. Does anybody else have this problem? I was hoping to check out Kid Icarus.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Shiren, or at least the DS iteration, was an absolute blast to play (for me anyway). Sure it's babby's first roguelike, but when it comes to roguelikes I guess I'm a babby. It's pick-up-and-dungeondive style fit well with the DS, I felt.

That said, the biggest dick move I've come across isn't even the game's fault. Sticking your DS in your bag, going for a bike ride, having said bag jostle and the cartridge pop free when you'd just put the game to sleep without saving?

You're dead and that run to the end that you'd spent the past few hours prepping for is wiped.

I'm looking forward to that ep with morbid curiosity. Everybody who's played the game says watching it's a frustrating experience, but then it's customary to sigh in exasperation at some of Arino's moves at this point. Sorry you were forced to bite the bullet on this one zari-gani, but it will be watched, rest assured.

Lock fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 25, 2012