Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Apple has recently had a habit of putting machines down when they don't sell. The XServe and white MacBook come immediately to mind, and the Mac Pro is on it's death bed. The loss of the the only portable with an Express Card slot is a sad day though, and ANOTHER shot at professionals using Macs. ThunderBolt is great in theory, but it's just too drat expensive for adding IO. The Magma expansion chassis is like $1k I think.
Well you can connect ExpressCard to Thunderbolt for $200, or $150 if you already happen to have a TB cable for some reason.

Bob Morales posted:

Finished the SSD install. It's alive!

Also, this is a mid-2010 iMac (purchased 1/2011) and it has the HD temp connector.
Did you break the front glass :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Microcenter ready to put new Macs on the shelves?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Comedy answer: disconnect fan power

Almost as bad answer: make your own jumper / sensor cable

Possibly useful answer: Install this and adjust the fan control until it's managed. $10 shareware. Free for 1 hour.

Or just run this script:

/applications/smcfancontrol.app/Contents/resources/smc -k F1Mx -w 1500

(you need to download smcfancontrol first)

I used 1500 for the fan speed but I couldn't hear anything under 3000 rpm (we have white noise in our office so you might have to use a different number)

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Bob Morales posted:

Microcenter ready to put new Macs on the shelves?

AppleLaunchTimer suggests that we're two weeks away from today from the MBP & iMac refresh. Take it for what its worth, but it was spot on for the announcement and release date of the iPad 3, and it had that timer on its site for two months prior.

Edit: And it makes sense, last year's iMacs were released in the first week of May too.

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 24, 2012

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Jesus christ just release the new ones already so I can stop sitting on my hands. If they're not out before Diablo 3 releases, I will probably get drunk and yell at Steve's tombstone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah an updated iMac is a day one purchase for me.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
For those of you who have installed SSD's into an iMac, are you running Trim Enabler? I can't figure out if you're supposed to leave it running all the time or if you just need to switch it to "on" and then close it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mr. Onslaught posted:

For those of you who have installed SSD's into an iMac, are you running Trim Enabler? I can't figure out if you're supposed to leave it running all the time or if you just need to switch it to "on" and then close it.
You only need to switch it on once, or whenever Software Update decides to turn it back off. I'm glad I went with OEM SSD parts (the drive, the jumper) in my iMac so I don't have to worry about the TRIM Enabler/fan control poo poo.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

You only have to re-run after an OS update (i.e. something that actually changes your version number). I just have the commands saved as a Perl script, and I'll check System Information after an update to make sure 'TRIM: Yes' is still there.

I only ever reboot for updates anyways, so a very small price to pay for using a non-OEM SSD. (And it's a MBP)

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Thanks, I had it sitting in my dock running forever :downs:

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I use the Perl script too, just to make sure it's not copying over an older version of the .kext like TRIM enabler does (or at least, used to).

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's some anecdotal data for the ssd/optibay chat. I originally had my Crucial M4 in the optibay in my early 08 MBP, with the hdd in its normal spot. However, I've had some issues - mostly sleep issues, basically it never reliably slept. I finally got off my lazy rear end and took it apart and switched them, and although I feel bad that the hdd is no longer hooked up to the sensors on that side of the machine, it is running noticeably better. It's also the only way I was able to update the firmware on the M4, and my sleep problems are gone. Makes a huge difference.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I've got a Vertex 2 in the original HDD slot, and a WD 320GB drive in the OptiBay, and so far have had 0 problems, 2010 15" MBP.

Here is the trim script I run:
code:
# 1. Backup the file we’re patching
sudo cp /System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage.original.200
# 2. Patch the file to enable TRIM support
sudo perl -pi -e 's|(\x52\x6F\x74\x61\x74\x69\x6F\x6E\x61\x6C\x00{1,20})[^\x00]{9}(\x00{1,20}\x51)|$1\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00$2|sg' \
/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext/Contents/MacOS/IOAHCIBlockStorage
# 3. Clear the system kernel extension cache
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
Does the trick every time after an OS Update "breaks" my TRIM.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

mayodreams posted:

Basically I/O like eSATA, USB3, RAID cards, and video capture cards. Professional Sony video cameras use SxS cards to record, which are basically Express Cards with memory on them, so a laptop on set that can natively dump footage is fantastic. PowerBook G4's are still used in Panasonic camps because P2 cards are just PCMCIA cards with flash memory on them, and P2 readers are like $300-400 for slow rear end USB versions.
That's actually not too bad. On the other hand it looks like the writing is on the wall for Express Cards in light of Thunderbolt. I'd expect them to keep it though until prices for Thunderbolt peripherals drop.

mayodreams posted:

I agree that some analysis throwing poo poo against the wall isn't the best source for Apple's future business decisions. I am just saying it wouldn't surprise me.
Anything is possible, but while I'm seeing a lot of good reasons to drop the Mac Pro, I'm not seeing any good ones regarding the 17". There are just too many synergies in favor of keeping it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah an updated iMac is a day one purchase for me.

Me too, IF they let me have a video input on it again :[

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

flavor posted:

That's actually not too bad. On the other hand it looks like the writing is on the wall for Express Cards in light of Thunderbolt. I'd expect them to keep it though until prices for Thunderbolt peripherals drop.
Nice timing on quoting the SxS post, I just came across this earlier:
http://expo.nabshow.com/annual12/Public/Booth.aspx?BoothID=138240&Task=PressReleaseDetails&PRID=2894
Basically Sony released a TB compatible driver so you can use that stuff with Sonnet's ExpressCard-TB adapter.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
A friend offered to sell me his 15" Macbook Pro, would you guys say that it's a decent deal? His price is 13 000 NOK (2,271.67 USD), he originally paid over 20 000 NOK (3,494.88 USD) for the Mac and some aftermarket parts. A 15" Mac Pro with comparable specs seems to cost 21 500 NOK in the Norwegian Mac store.

Specs:
2 GHz intel core i7
8 GB 1133 MHz DDR3 (aftermarket, Crucial DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 8GB Ram)
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB / Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
256 GB Solid State Sata disk (aftermarket, Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 256GB)

He bought it in April last year. He'll include the original HD and RAM for free.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

A friend offered to sell me his 15" Macbook Pro, would you guys say that it's a decent deal? His price is 13 000 NOK (2,271.67 USD), he originally paid over 20 000 NOK (3,494.88 USD) for the Mac and some aftermarket parts. A 15" Mac Pro with comparable specs seems to cost 21 500 NOK in the Norwegian Mac store.

Specs:
2 GHz intel core i7
8 GB 1133 MHz DDR3 (aftermarket, Crucial DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz 8GB Ram)
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 256 MB / Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
256 GB Solid State Sata disk (aftermarket, Crucial m4 SSD 2,5" 256GB)

He bought it in April last year. He'll include the original HD and RAM for free.

Do you not know how to use a web browser? Did you know that Apple has an online store?

Brand New 2.2GHz i7 15" MacBook Pro: $1799 (14.990,00 kr)
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 / AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5

+ 4GB Aftermarket RAM (Crucial CT51264BC1067; $24.99): $1823.99
+ 256GB Aftermarket SSD (Crucial CT256M4SSD2; $299.99): $2123.98

So let's see... is $2123.98 less than $2271.67? SURE LOOKS THAT WAY TO ME. So no, it's NOT a decent deal.

(Also, any sales tax that may be added onto the price more than makes up for the increase in hardware specs of the new laptop as well as, you know, getting a brand new laptop with a brand new warranty.)

People can be really loving dense.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Accipiter posted:

Do you not know how to use a web browser? Did you know that Apple has an online store?

Brand New 2.2GHz i7 15" MacBook Pro: $1799 (14.990,00 kr)
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 / AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB GDDR5

+ 4GB Aftermarket RAM (Crucial CT51264BC1067; $24.99): $1823.99
+ 256GB Aftermarket SSD (Crucial CT256M4SSD2; $299.99): $2123.98

So let's see... is $2123.98 less than $2271.67? SURE LOOKS THAT WAY TO ME. So no, it's NOT a decent deal.

(Also, any sales tax that may be added onto the price more than makes up for the increase in hardware specs of the new laptop as well as, you know, getting a brand new laptop with a brand new warranty.)

People can be really loving dense.

14 990 NOK equals $2,618.26 according to xe.com, which makes the final price of a new Macbook Pro plus the aftermarket parts (which are probably more expensive over here in any case) $2941.99 plus shipping. I'm no expert, but $2271.67 seems less than $2941.99 to me.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

You can't compare money like that.

A new fattest MBA would be 1700 usd while it would be 2360 usd in Sweden payed with swedish krondr.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

feraltennisprodigy posted:

14 990 NOK equals $2,618.26 according to xe.com, which makes the final price of a new Macbook Pro plus the aftermarket parts (which are probably more expensive over here in any case) $2941.99 plus shipping. I'm no expert, but $2271.67 seems less than $2941.99 to me.

I'd also be absolutely shocked if you couldn't get ANYONE in the US to buy it for you.

Accipiter fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 25, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

japtor posted:

Nice timing on quoting the SxS post, I just came across this earlier:
http://expo.nabshow.com/annual12/Public/Booth.aspx?BoothID=138240&Task=PressReleaseDetails&PRID=2894
Basically Sony released a TB compatible driver so you can use that stuff with Sonnet's ExpressCard-TB adapter.

Yeah, all 3 of my coworkers went to NAB last week and I had to stay here. :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Oh man, if we don't see updates until WWDC in June...:argh:

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012

Daric posted:

Jesus christ just release the new ones already so I can stop sitting on my hands. If they're not out before Diablo 3 releases, I will probably get drunk and yell at Steve's tombstone.

I will join you, posting this was my exact reason for visiting this thread. Does anyone know if apple employee discounts are applicable to newly released machines?

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Accipiter posted:

I'd also be absolutely shocked if you couldn't get ANYONE in the US to buy it for you.

Moreover, holy crap Norway prices! Holy crap!

On the other hand I'm not sure if you'd want to entrust random person you've never met in the US with $2000ish.

e. or have endless faith in the postal system. Can you get it off Amazon.co.uk for a better price?

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I have a late 2008 iMac that's gotten quite sluggish feeling. I already have it maxed out to 4mb RAM, but it clunks along. Would replacing the internal 5400 rpm drive with a 10,000 rpm drive like this one pep it up enough to last me another 6 months to a year? It seems like that's the only bottleneck in the system that I can do anything about at this point, and I can't justify the cost of a SSD drive for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Velociraptor-10000-Desktop/dp/B003FW9T0M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335396262&sr=8-1-spell

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I have a late 2008 iMac that's gotten quite sluggish feeling. I already have it maxed out to 4mb RAM, but it clunks along. Would replacing the internal 5400 rpm drive with a 10,000 rpm drive like this one pep it up enough to last me another 6 months to a year? It seems like that's the only bottleneck in the system that I can do anything about at this point, and I can't justify the cost of a SSD drive for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Velociraptor-10000-Desktop/dp/B003FW9T0M/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335396262&sr=8-1-spell

I think you can just get a decent SSD for that price and use your existing HDD for external storage.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Plenty of good SSDs to be had for less than $200. I'd save another bit and get a 256gb unit though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How substantial is this Ivy Bridge upgrade going to be? I am so loving ready to buy a new computer and waiting and hoping for the new iMac to come out is driving me nuts.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For the iMac? Not a big deal. Clock-for-clock it's not a huge improvement, and it just means that the base model might migrate to integrated graphics.

Ivy Bridge is more significant for the Mini and Air.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For the iMac? Not a big deal. Clock-for-clock it's not a huge improvement, and it just means that the base model might migrate to integrated graphics.

Ivy Bridge is more significant for the Mini and Air.

It could be huge for the iMac as well if USB 3.0 happens. That means you can actually have fast external storagr without paying out the rear end for TB or paying a premium for FireWire and getting mediocre performance. CPU-wise it will only be a few percent improvement and like you said the possibility of the base model getting neutered with HD4000 (how does that benchmark compared to whats in the base iMac now?)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My mistake: I did forget about USB 3.0. That is a potentially nice addition to the refreshed models.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
And remember that as more and more apps convert to 64 bit, the less good hyperthreading does. Getting those true desktop quality quad core processors are going to be big.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat. What a horrible time to decide to buy a new computer. If they aren't announced in to weeks I'm just gonna say gently caress it and buy one of the current models.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Are the Airs usually updated at the same time as MBP? If so, I might have to look into selling mine and getting the new version.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Abel Wingnut posted:

Are the Airs usually updated at the same time as MBP? If so, I might have to look into selling mine and getting the new version.
No. Airs and Mini will most likely be updated in the summer when Mountain Lion ships.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Danke.

Additionally, does anyone know where to get one of those old 30" displays? I'm thinking that I should get that and a new Mini instead of an iMac. Or is this a terrible idea?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's the difference between 2560x1440 and 2560x1600. Don't do it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've always used PC's. I've worked in IT, and always built my own gaming rigs from scratch. Never had much interest in using Apple computers.

I got an iMac for free, and my PC desktop was way outdated, so I decided to make the iMac my main desktop.

In the 3 years i've had it, I cant remember it ever freezing or crashing on me. I never realized how carefree computing could be till I used the iMac. I definitely dont miss having to download a dozen critical updates every week. Always updating drivers for my hardware. Trying to decrypt ridiculously long error message to fix the blue screens of death. Messing with bios settings. Having to clean out all the dust in the tower to fix overheating issues in the summertime.

Its pretty nice how fast the iMac boots up and shuts down. Having bootcamp to use PC programs is nice. The display is gorgeous. And it's so quiet. I don't miss the sound of a 1000 watt power supply and 6 case fans.

If i'm visiting my parents home, or i'm going to be staying in a hotel for a few days, I just put the iMac in a duffel bag, wrapped in my coat, and bring it with me.

I'm convinced that most of the people who hate Apple computers have never owned one. I'm glad I made the switch, and i've never looked back since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I switched over about 6 years ago I never looked back and haven't even entertained the thought of buying another PC since.

I think most of the rabid Apple haters are incapable of considering that anyone would want a computer for something other than JUST gaming/huge nerds that get off on hating things that other people like. The fact that people get angry about people buying Apple, even on these forums (see steve job's death thread for the worst offenders) blows my mind. Like, I can't even believe they think it is any of their business what other people buy.