Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
edit- crap, top of the page with that, which is of course a joke about the terrible reddit comment quoted below related to the death of a Redhook employee

Wamsutta posted:

"That man makes beer for a company whose ultimate parent has affiliations with AB-Inbev. YES I THINK HE DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL"
- Beer Nerd

That is a shameful loving comment.

you know who i really hate? those loving seven year-old kids in Bangladesh who stole my manufacturing job- hope those little shits lose their fingers just like i lost my cable!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

SnowDog posted:

That said, any particular local brands to FL I should try to sample while I'm down there, if the opportunity arises?
Funky Buddha. Funky Buddha. Funky Buddha. Repeat these words until they become a meditation.

I'd never heard of them before they were at EBF this year, but they were seriously loving impressive. Even their gimmick beer, Crustless, was great. The passionfruit Berlinerweiss was my hands-down favorite session beer there. Yes, Cigar City is great and worth checking out, but Funky Buddha is even harder to find and really is spectacular. Drink a lot of both.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

bartolimu posted:

passionfruit Berlinerweiss

drat, that just sounds really good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Wamsutta posted:

"That man makes beer for a company whose ultimate parent has affiliations with AB-Inbev. YES I THINK HE DESERVED TO DIE AND I HOPE HE BURNS IN HELL"
- Beer Nerd

That is a shameful loving comment.

This guy is the worst person.

bartolimu posted:

Funky Buddha. Funky Buddha. Funky Buddha. Repeat these words until they become a meditation.

I'd never heard of them before they were at EBF this year, but they were seriously loving impressive. Even their gimmick beer, Crustless, was great. The passionfruit Berlinerweiss was my hands-down favorite session beer there. Yes, Cigar City is great and worth checking out, but Funky Buddha is even harder to find and really is spectacular. Drink a lot of both.

I haven't had them, but a buddy of mine had their beer at Brewvival and LOVED it. He raved about it for weeks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
What's with all the drain pouring, Midorka? Like half your posts that I recall are you talking about all the beer you don't drink.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

What's with all the drain pouring, Midorka? Like half your posts that I recall are you talking about all the beer you don't drink.

Not worth going down this path, he just says, "Well why should I drink something I don't like?"

Which I guess is reasonable at face value. But personally, a beer has to be simply VILE for me to drain-pour it. I think the only beer I've done that with was half of a Stone Belgo-Anise IRS, because I can't stand the licorice flavor. And I still managed to drink half of it. I feel like I spend so much money on craft beer that I'm lighting dollar bills on fire if I don't drink what I buy.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Speaking of the Chelis White that got bought out by the Michigan Brewing Company (which I had a taste of the other day, it was good!), welp:

quote:

Michigan Brewing Co. evicted from Webberville location

WEBBERVILLE — Michigan Brewing Co. was evicted Tuesday from its headquarters in Webberville, according to court records and officials familiar with the case.

The property, located at 1093 Highview Drive, was foreclosed after MBC failed to make loan payments to Zions First National Bank.

An entity called Highview Enterprises then bought the property but failed to reach a rental agreement with MBC and its lending company, Highview Holdings, said attorney Pat Gallagher, who represents Highview Enterprises.

Highview Enterprises went to 55th District Court in January for an order of eviction for MBC, which is typical in foreclosure cases, Gallagher said.

The order of eviction was carried out Tuesday, he said.

Bobby Mason, the president of MBC and head of Highview Holdings, could not immediately be reached for comment.

It’s unclear at this point how the eviction could affect MBC’s other sites, including its downtown Lansing restaurant and brew pub, or its beverage-making business, which include rocker Kid Rock’s American Badass Beer.

oh no not my Badass American Lager :ohdear:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Goose Island has been back in CT for a very short time but is loving EVERYwhere I look lately. A local store just got in cans of the 312 Ale. Is that worth checking out? Sounds like a light and drinkable hot weather brew from what I've read.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Wamsutta posted:

Not worth going down this path, he just says, "Well why should I drink something I don't like?"

Which I guess is reasonable at face value. But personally, a beer has to be simply VILE for me to drain-pour it. I think the only beer I've done that with was half of a Stone Belgo-Anise IRS, because I can't stand the licorice flavor. And I still managed to drink half of it. I feel like I spend so much money on craft beer that I'm lighting dollar bills on fire if I don't drink what I buy.

And the cost is exactly why if I'm not at a bar, I make drat sure I have other people to split a bottle with so that it's not a total loss. Unless the beer is infected or something.

Founders Tap Takeover tonight! :toot:
http://dcbeer.com/2012/04/23/bier-baron-set-to-have-taps-taken-over-by-founders/

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wamsutta posted:

Goose Island has been back in CT for a very short time but is loving EVERYwhere I look lately. A local store just got in cans of the 312 Ale. Is that worth checking out? Sounds like a light and drinkable hot weather brew from what I've read.

Time to thank AB!!

312 is a solid wheat beer for the money.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wamsutta posted:

I think the only beer I've done that with was half of a Stone Belgo-Anise IRS, because I can't stand the licorice flavor.

So... you bought an anise beer even though your don't like licorice? Can't really blame the beer for that choice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

The Sam Adams Imperial Stout was one of the three beers mentioned a few pages back that I could not get through and poured. I don't pour a lot of beer, it just seems like it I guess. Weyerbachers Riserva was another, the 2010 version I think the super sour one, which I can't imagine anyone liking. The last was another sour a 3 Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek, which was the one that caused a huge uproar here due to it's price and status among sours. I've learned that I don't like sours so even if it was an expensive lesson to learn I learned it.

I get a lot of my beer at huge discounts though since I work at a liquor store and get a lot to sample. The Riserva was $5 since the manager wanted to get rid of it and the 2010 Sam Adams Imperial Stout was free since it was sitting on shelves since 2010. I did wind up buying another Sam Imperial Stout though because I figured the 2010 might be oxidized but really the beer just has a lot of dried dark fruit flavor that I didn't like. As I explained before the beer is already a waste if I don't like it, I don't want to force it down. Everyone has their own opinions on it which is fine, but that's mine.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I would much prefer Hoegaarden to 312 Wheat. Was not a big fan at all.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

HOLY poo poo. That is a tap takeover. Seriously: there's some amazing, super rare stuff there.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

So... you bought an anise beer even though your don't like licorice? Can't really blame the beer for that choice.

I wasn't paying attention and thought I was buying standard Stone IRS :( I'm dumb!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Retemnav posted:

drat, that just sounds really good.
It tasted like nice, tart passionfruit nectar. I could take that beer to work and drink it all day and be happy, and since it's only 3% nobody would ever know.

Crustless was really good too, despite being a gimmick peanut butter and jelly beer. Every flavor was there - peanut butter, concord grape jelly, and cheap whole wheat wonder bread. When Short's tries something like that it's vile. Funky Buddha somehow made it both interesting and drinkable.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

danbanana posted:

I hate licorice too and I bought the anise stone IRS, but that's because I'm dumb and I didn't know anise was what licorice was made out of.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
A month or so ago I bought a variety 12 pack of Stoudt's and instead of the Munich Helles I received 6 Pils. I called them and explained the situation and just now Eddie Stoudt called me to apologize and is sending 3 Munich Helles and some "swag." That's pretty awesome of them and it will definitely put them on a higher priority list to buy beer from.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Midorka posted:

A month or so ago I bought a variety 12 pack of Stoudt's and instead of the Munich Helles I received 6 Pils. I called them and explained the situation and just now Eddie Stoudt called me to apologize and is sending 3 Munich Helles and some "swag." That's pretty awesome of them and it will definitely put them on a higher priority list to buy beer from.

A lot of breweries are really good about this. I bought a case of Sam's Summer Ale a couple of years ago and despite the freshness date being recent, half the bottles tasted skunked. They sent me a new case and asked that I send back the skunked bottles (they paid for shipping) so they could have QC look into the problem.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Wamsutta posted:

312 is a good wheat. It's not a peerless example of the style, but it's so enjoyable and mild that it works pretty much whenever. Especially on a hot summer day. Used to prefer from tap at the pub, but that boat has sailed... We're all, uh, taking it in the can these days.

Dunno what's in your market, but everything they mass produce is really good and, I assume, meant to be easy going and fun to drink. Around Chicago you usually see Honkers, India Pale Ale, 312 year round. Then there's Harvest Ale, Mild Winter and Summertime, which are available based on season. Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, etc, aren't hard to find in 4 packs or 750ml bottles. I'm also seeing their Nut Brown Ale around a lot too. Anyways, everything I listed is really enjoyable and should be tried at least once.

EDIT: fixing where I pere jaqued up the spelling

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 25, 2012

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

The Texas Beer Fest in Houston is this weekend. There are so many similarly named beer festivals in this state; this is one of the "lovely" ones, or at least it was last year.

I don't really wanna go because I have a feeling it'll be understaffed and overcrowded again, but it'll be a chance to check out all the new breweries in the hinterlands of Texas.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The Texas Beer Fest in Houston is this weekend. There are so many similarly named beer festivals in this state; this is one of the "lovely" ones, or at least it was last year.

I don't really wanna go because I have a feeling it'll be understaffed and overcrowded again, but it'll be a chance to check out all the new breweries in the hinterlands of Texas.

That was the colossal shitstorm that completely underestimated the number of attendees to expect, and they ran out of water so people were getting dehydrated right? I mean, those idiots did plan a festival at a park in Houston during the middle of July last year.

Just be on the lookout for the next Camp Beer events. I'm good friends with the organizers and they always could use volunteers (aka, you get in for free, you pour beer, and it's cool to partake).

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Me too, actually. Not a fan of 312.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

air- posted:

Just be on the lookout for the next Camp Beer events. I'm good friends with the organizers and they always could use volunteers (aka, you get in for free, you pour beer, and it's cool to partake).

Yeah, I got to talking to Mr. Floyd the first time I visited the Hay Merchant (I cam when it opened up at 3pm so it was pretty empty) and he told me about this. I intend to goto the next one, definitely, especially since HM (presuming they hold it there) is like a 10 minute Metro ride from me.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

mysterious frankie posted:

312 is a good wheat. It's not a peerless example of the style, but it's so enjoyable and mild that it works pretty much whenever. Especially on a hot summer day. Used to prefer from tap at the pub, but that boat has sailed... We're all, uh, taking it in the can these days.

Dunno what's in your market, but everything they mass produce is really good and, I assume, meant to be easy going and fun to drink. Around Chicago you usually see Honkers, India Pale Ale, 312 year round. Then there's Harvest Ale, Mild Winter and Summertime, which are available based on season. Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacqued, etc, aren't hard to find in 4 packs or 750ml bottles. I'm also seeing their Nut Brown Ale around a lot too. Anyways, everything I listed is really enjoyable and should be tried at least once.

Rodizio (Brazilian steakhouse chain) just opened up here in town and was pouring Honkers when I was there last Friday. Didn't try it but I will next time I'm there. Thanks for this.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
13th Anniversary Stone/Bottleworks is pretty good, if a little boozy. I had some off the tap at work and I liked it, I honestly thought it would just be a confusing mishmash like Mixtape, but most all of the grains and hops seem to work together pretty well. I'm interested to see how it will taste after it's been cellared.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Dunno what's in your market, but everything they mass produce is really good and, I assume, meant to be easy going and fun to drink. Around Chicago you usually see Honkers, India Pale Ale, 312 year round. Then there's Harvest Ale, Mild Winter and Summertime, which are available based on season. Matilda, Sofie, Pere Jacques, etc, aren't hard to find in 4 packs or 750ml bottles. I'm also seeing their Nut Brown Ale around a lot too. Anyways, everything I listed is really enjoyable and should be tried at least once.

EDIT: fixing where I pere jaqued up the spelling

Everyone seems to have a huge beer boner for Matilda (which is understandable because it is very good) but I maintain that their best year-round offering is Sofie. If it wasn't a $11 4-pack I'd drink it constantly.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

RiggenBlaque posted:

I hate licorice too and I bought the anise stone IRS, but that's because I'm dumb and I didn't know anise was what licorice was made out of.

It's not. But the flavors are very similar.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Midorka posted:

I've learned that I don't like sours so even if it was an expensive lesson to learn I learned it.

It really should be recommended when saying to try sours to try with some of the cheaper entry level ones first - it's definitely an acquired taste that most people aren't going to like, and it helps to have a baseline to know what you're paying for when tasting some of the harder to get ones.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Everyone seems to have a huge beer boner for Matilda (which is understandable because it is very good) but I maintain that their best year-round offering is Sofie. If it wasn't a $11 4-pack I'd drink it constantly.

Sofie is good, but of the four GI Belgians I see consistently outside of the brewpubs (Pepe Nero, Pere Jacques Sofie and Matilda), it's the one I've had the least of. Ever try the Grapefruit Sofie? I hear good things, but have never seen it around personally. I've had different Goose Island IPA's that used grapefruit and they've always been phenomenal; I imagine a farmhouse ale would really benefit.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 26, 2012

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

That bottle shop got Red Poppy in. $25 per. I don't even care if that's gouging. I'm getting 2 tomorrow.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
$25 for a 12 oz bottle. Ouch.

For reference, it's $19 here in Philly.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Wamsutta posted:

Now that Goose Island is associated with AB, a chunk of its biggest brands are brewed by the larger AB breweries now. The 312 that's in cans is all AB-brewed, and it's drat near identical to the original. 312 is a solid, easy-drinking, unremarkable American wheat - good for hot summer days and introducing the inexperienced to better beer, but not at all exceptional. The Honkers and IPA that are AB-contracted are pretty good, but the IPA doesn't stand up to the original - we're still working out the kinks on that. See if you can find any of the Belgian beers like Matilda, Sofie or Pere Jacques, or maybe the Nut Brown Ale - those are all Chicago-brewed, and better examples of what Goose can do. The Chicago-brewed IPA is also a drat fine English IPA, if I do say so myself.

The Redhook accident is a drat shame, and it's a good example of how dangerous brewing can be sometimes. It's a factory job, when it comes down to it, no matter what the scale or the quality of the product. We had a yeast brink blow off its manhole a few months back when the blowoff got clogged and it overpressurized. It destroyed a ladder 20 feet away and bent the legs on the tank like straws. If somebody had been standing in front of it at the time, they would have literally been decapitated. Safety is an enormous concern in breweries; if it's not, somebody's doing it way loving wrong. And that guy on Reddit is a colossal tool who has no understanding of how the drat beer gets in his glass.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Apparently Three Floyds is planning on opening a Chicago brewpub? http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...0,7354010.story

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

On another note, I'm enjoying a Unibroue La Fin du Monde right now. It's a bit more banana-y than I remember it, but it's still an excellent tripel - dry and just a tiny bit tart, but with a decent amount of residual sweetness and an excellently fruity, spicy Belgian yeast character, all helped along by a high level of carbonation. Every once in a while I rediscover Unibroue and wonder why I don't drink their beer more often.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Thanks, Bartolimu and Munkaboo. I will look into Cigar City and Funky Buddha in a few weeks and post my results :).

Tonight, perhaps a Harpoon Rye IPA.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

TenaciousTomato posted:

I love Weiss and wit beers, but I've never cared for any American wheat I've had. Anyone else feel this way?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Apparently Three Floyds is planning on opening a Chicago brewpub? http://www.chicagotribune.com/featu...0,7354010.story

Thaaaaat explains why I cant walk five feet down the street without tripping over a sixer of Zombie Dust; they're testing the waters.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I love Weiss and wit beers, but I've never cared for any American wheat I've had. Anyone else feel this way?

Not even Gumballhead?

I guess I can see where preferences come from. American wheats always seem a little thinner and more astringent than their European counterparts I guess? Is that where the dislike comes from or am I way off?

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Not even Gumballhead?

I guess I can see where preferences come from. American wheats always seem a little thinner and more astringent than their European counterparts I guess? Is that where the dislike comes from or I way off?

No, that seems accurate to me. Allagash and Ommegang make decent wheats, but still not as good as any Belgian.