Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
So I was just playing ranked and got bodied by Viscant :qq:

Also playing against good Zero players sucks, my reactions aren't quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
What team was he using?

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...

WalrusWhiskers posted:

What team was he using?

Zero, Wesker, Phoenix

I didn't even know there was a rank called 'Cosmic Warrior'.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
I've gotten so many ragequits after resetting my online rank and being patched against low ranking players. Apparently Deadpool + Unibeam or Hidden Missile is "spamming". Does this game even punish ragequitters? I'd really like to see a fighting game that had actual in game punishment for rage quitting, like if you have enough disconnects you get a damage or health penalty in your next match.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

They said that when you ragequit your little star would get downgraded to a skull but I've never seen anything less than silver and that was only in the first week.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
There was supposed to be a ragequitter hell in which you would only be able to fight other ragequitters if you did it too much but I've never seen anything actually confirming it. Either it doesn't exist or it does its job really well. :tinfoil:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ybrik posted:

They said that when you ragequit your little star would get downgraded to a skull but I've never seen anything less than silver and that was only in the first week.

Your rank gets pushed down a little as well.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

charismaslover posted:

So I was just playing ranked and got bodied by Viscant :qq:

Also playing against good Zero players sucks, my reactions aren't quick enough.

Your reactions kinda don't matter, that's why Zero is stupid.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Ybrik posted:

I have seen the people with the little skulls and played them. They ragequit roughly 2/3 of the time, which isn't that much more than regular players with <100 matches.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Brosnan posted:

Your reactions kinda don't matter, that's why Zero is stupid.

Hey you shot any projectile in the game? Cool I'm gonna box jump over it and kill you.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Did Capcom confirm or deny the rumors about Super UMvC3 (whatever it's called)?

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Did Capcom confirm or deny the rumors about Super UMvC3 (whatever it's called)?

From what I talked to Brelston, a community manager at capcom, at PAX he basically said that UMvc3 was a finished game, and they aren't currently making further expansions/content for the game.

e: And yea, some other guy denied the rumors about Super UMvC3, forget his name.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

That stinks. I'd happily pay for some new characters, whoever they would be.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When UMVC3 was released Seth said that it was either now for marvel or a really long time. I'd imagine it will be mostly SFxT releases from here till EVO. Then it will be TxSF. It would make sense that Capcom signed some sort of deal with Namco where they can't release any major products for console with any street fighter characters in it a little before and while after TxSFs release, which would include marvel. Obviously this is me pulling crap out of my rear end, but I don't think we'll see any new versions of this game till after next years EVO.

Man do the people that play in the mornings are worse than at night? I had lime a 7 game win streak at one point.

Also Trish is awesome. She handles problem characters really well. Peakaboo can stop Zero, Valrja assist, a number of teleports, dive kicks, foot dives, air dashes in covered by assists. She can also go in with a special cancelable dive kick, air dash, flight, slide. Her main combo, which I practiced in training mode and never did in a match, has a low to mid level of execution. definitely easier than VJs BnB who I swapped out for her. Considering how she can make some problems just go away, completely safe offense (at least as far as I see it), and ok damage, I really feel she's an underplayed character. Incidentally if we're to go by the tier list on page 111, I can't really call her underrated.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Trish has some good poo poo. Some of her normals are HUGE and can stuff dive kicks, teleports, etc. She can harass from that up-back area of the screen a lot of characters have a problem reaching. Her box dash is pretty good. She can do the ground peekaboo trap while flying at superjump height which lets her land safely or cross people up. With certain teammates she's got unblockable setups with DHCing Round Harvest. Aside from the unblockable setups, Round Harvest DHC's into a ton of stuff or allows you to freely hard tag. In Ultimate they buffed Maximum Voltage so that it OTGs.

I looked at playing Trish for a little while and I wasn't really feeling it. Not that she's bad, I just didn't like her. She's one of those characters whose combo damage isn't quite top tier so she has to do some work with zoning, resets or traps in order to get kills.

I imagine you could make a super annoying Trish team with Hidden Missile and Log Trap or something.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
The Peekaboo assist is fantastic and it's a real shame more people don't use it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Some matches from last week's Runback:

YTwoJay (Wolverine/Spencer/Magneto) vs. Donovan (Morrigan/Dormammu/Doom)
Some really solid play under pressure from YTwoJay versus some well executed Chris G style lame poo poo from Donovan. James Chen and UltraDavid appear in EVO hockey jerseys.
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/315546862?t=1h33m

Devil Sephiroth (Nova/Frank West/Super Skrull | Wesker/Taskmaster/Super Skrull) vs. Justin Wong (Captain America/Felicia/Akuma)
The match is closer than you'd think. Good stuff from both players. I liked Justin's Cap and Devil Sephiroth (DS) showed some good stuff. DS landed a really nice unblockable command throw set up off of snap in with Wesker. He also had a great read and counter for a Felicia reset.
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/315546862?t=1h41m35s

Also noteworthy:
LLND replaced Chris with Chun-li.

I don't think they streamed the Marvel finals, I think they switched to KOF instead.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

WalrusWhiskers posted:

From what I talked to Brelston, a community manager at capcom, at PAX he basically said that UMvc3 was a finished game, and they aren't currently making further expansions/content for the game.

e: And yea, some other guy denied the rumors about Super UMvC3, forget his name.

Asking Capcom about future plans is like talking to a wall. They ain't going to admit anything. Hell, before UMvC3, there was "No future plans" for the vanilla version either.

Honestly, wait till San Diego Comic Con. I'd expect them to be doing something considering sales for Ultimate have been above their expectations (And they might want to do something with the popular game since SF X Tekken is going down as well as a dead baby joke at an abortion clinic), even if that something is either straight onto MvC4 or maybe even Marvel Super Heroes 2.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

The current rumor is a balance patch after EVO. They could probably do that with or without Nitsuma, who is apparently working on a new project now.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Weren't Capcom making a big announcement in Famitsu this week? If it's fighting game related then it could maybe be something to do with Marvel, although I guess that's quite unlikely.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

You can't really trust Capcom when they say they are "not doing an update to a game" these days, so we'll see.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It really wasn't long after vanilla that there were serious murmurs of an expansion on the way. I wouldn't hold your breath this time.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

AXE COP posted:

Weren't Capcom making a big announcement in Famitsu this week? If it's fighting game related then it could maybe be something to do with Marvel, although I guess that's quite unlikely.

It was a Monster Hunter Puzzle game for the PSP. Nothing of interest to us.

Though there was also a bunch of shillouettes related to yet another Capcom announcement next week, however (No scans yet though).

I'd wait to see if San Diego Comic Con has another MvC panel and it would fit with the rumors of something after Evo since SDCC this year is a week after Evo. Capcom and Marvel still seem to be working with each other (MvC2 was released on iOS yesterday) and San Diego is the most likely place you will see an expansion or whatever announced.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Sex Vicar posted:

It was a Monster Hunter Puzzle game for the PSP.

Well, at least Capcom is trolling Monster Hunter fans even harder than Marvel fans.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Brosnan posted:

It really wasn't long after vanilla that there were serious murmurs of an expansion on the way. I wouldn't hold your breath this time.

For a balance patch or full update? Based on the rumblings, a balance patch seems like it could happen. I like an update is unlikely though, as much as I'd like to see one.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For a full update. They did say once upon a time that there would be a balance patch, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they just kinda quietly swept that under the rug as interest in the game has waned.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

I just remembered that UMVC3 got picked up for SBO.

...I think there's definitely going to be a balance patch. Marvel is Capcom's most popular recent fighting game by a large amount (well, compared to SFxT I guess)- so I think they're probably going to end up trying to invest a 'lil more in it.

Cyclops and Megaman X (Armored) gonna be the last two characters callin' it now.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Fereydun posted:

...I think there's definitely going to be a balance patch. Marvel is Capcom's most popular recent fighting game by a large amount (well, compared to SFxT I guess)- so I think they're probably going to end up trying to invest a 'lil more in it.

Cyclops and Megaman X (Armored) gonna be the last two characters callin' it now.

Megaman gets a powerup super where he gets a random armor piece that gives his respective X upgrade. 4 bars for a full Megaman X :D

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

Brosnan posted:

For a full update. They did say once upon a time that there would be a balance patch, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if they just kinda quietly swept that under the rug as interest in the game has waned.

Apparently it's been selling really well on the PSVita and even beat Uncharted in launch month Digital sales. So it's hard to tell if it's going to be just a balance update or something more significant since it's actually been successful. Marvel's head of games was also talking up how important the franchise was to them in an interview in Variety a few weeks back as well as it's the one everyone likes and they know of.

It's just hard to tell since Capcom's got the wall of silence up, Marvel NDA's everything to death so we only got rumors and the fact that they did update their trademark on the game to include "Digital Content Vouchers" to go off.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fereydun posted:

What are you basing this on because I want both of these characters.

And by I want Cyclops I mean I want his cooler son.

Wozbo posted:

Megaman gets a powerup super where he gets a random armor piece that gives his respective X upgrade. 4 bars for a full Megaman X :D

I was thinking more along you'd do something along the line of QCB+Button combination, like Taskmaster's arrow super, like QCB+L and M is Falcon Armor, M and H is Gaea Armor, and L and H is Force Armor.

X5 was the best X game :colbert:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 26, 2012

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I'd like enhanced training mode. It would show hitboxes, have replays, give the ability to script P1 and P2 actions, allow you to practice combos guitar hero style, and allow players to share scripts/combos.

I'm not hopeful for anything like that to ever come about. I listened to the Wakeup SRK podcast where they talked to the guys who wrote the bradygames guide. The guide author said that he was provided with a special debug build of the game that showed hitboxes. He asked if he could put the hitboxes in the guide but didn't receive permission to do so. A reason along the lines of "it would take the magic out of the game" was given. If there is a prevailing design philosophy of keeping game systems somewhat obtuse so that players are surprised by things then they'll never implement the stuff I want since the stuff I want would expose everything about the game.

Since I'll never get what I want I'll gladly take a rebalance every year after EVO to keep things fresh. Bonus points if the game eventually allows you to choose which balance patch to run. Extra characters would just be gravy.

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 26, 2012

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I was thinking more along you'd do something along the line of QCB+Button combination, like Taskmaster's arrow super, like QCB+L and M is Falcon Armor, M and H is Gaea Armor, and L and H is Force Armor.

X5 was the best X game :colbert:

There is no megaman X past 3 :colbert:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Wozbo posted:

There is no megaman X past 3 :colbert:

And Jeffery Watson disagrees with you and I wish he didn't.

However I'd prefer X being a flexible character who can fit on almost any team over Robot Dark Phoenix.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Fereydun posted:

I doubt it will be either of these, especially because since it will be at SBO so if they add another capcom character it will probably be Date Masamune.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sex Vicar posted:

Apparently it's been selling really well on the PSVita and even beat Uncharted in launch month Digital sales.

Yeah, Marvel is doing very well on the Vita compared to a lot of other games on digital. In spite of the fact that Capcom didn't even give it the customary $5 discount on the PSN, going for 1:1 retail price, it still managed to outsell Sony's own major Vita exclusives like Uncharted.

On the USA Top 20 Most Downloaded Games list, Marvel is 7th right now. It's the highest ranking game that had both physical and digital releases, and it sits beneath mostly a slew of $5-15 PSN games. It's doing really well for itself.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Dren posted:

I'd like enhanced training mode. It would show hitboxes, have replays, give the ability to script P1 and P2 actions, allow you to practice combos guitar hero style, and allow players to share scripts/combos.

I'm not hopeful for anything like that to ever come about. I listened to the Wakeup SRK podcast where they talked to the guys who wrote the bradygames guide. The guide author said that he was provided with a special debug build of the game that showed hitboxes. He asked if he could put the hitboxes in the guide but didn't receive permission to do so. A reason along the lines of "it would take the magic out of the game" was given. If there is a prevailing design philosophy of keeping game systems somewhat obtuse so that players are surprised by things then they'll never implement the stuff I want since the stuff I want would expose everything about the game.

Since I'll never get what I want I'll gladly take a rebalance every year after EVO to keep things fresh. Bonus points if the game eventually allows you to choose which balance patch to run. Extra characters would just be gravy.

This seems to be a weird design decision for Japanese game developers. Skullgirls has no qualms about letting you see hitboxes in training mode. You can also hack (I think) the PC versions of SF4 to show hitboxes.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

This game remains exceptionally unfun to play online. I win maybe one out of every 10 matches, and I win in a bullshit and stupid way that isn't even satisfying. I'm better offline but even then I'm still scrubby...

:sigh: attempting to be anything better than horrible at this game feels really worthless sometimes

edit: i have two teams, my first is Nova/Taskmaster/Morrigan. Nova and Morrigan were basically the only two characters I actually enjoyed playing until recently. I added Taskmaster basically arbitrarily because he has some good simple combos and his assist helps Nova and Morrigan gain horizontal coverage to get in. Basically, it boils down t either zoning a bit with Nova or going for his launcher into ABC--> Fly cancel -->ABC again -->F.H relaunch into j.H --> Hyper. Usually, if I don't hit this I'll die instantly to the next hit which leads into a massive combo which will instantly kill Nova. I can barely play Taskmaster and I'm decent at best with Morrigan, sometimes her xfactor level 3 Astral Vision zoning wins matches but it doesn't feel legit.

My other team is Captain America/Nemesis/Dr. Doom and basically I have one combo using Nemesis' launcher slam to extend Captain America's comboing in the corner along with Dr. Doom's Plasma Beam. Similarly to the above if I don't hit this one combo I will usually die to the next touch against almost whoever I've been going up against. I have learned one combo straight out of the official guide for Nemesis but I have never been able to do it in a match due to how slow Nemesis is. I can barely do Dr. Doom's corner combo, let alone anything having to do with midscreen.

this game is incredibly bittersweet :( I'm starting to lose hope

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Dorkasaurus, what system are you on? I'm on psn as Wozboh, and I'm constantly making GBS threads things up with new teams I want to try. You can beat me a few times while I work on my execution :shobon:

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
I've had a lot of success with Nova's squarejump into j.H with Doom beam assist. If they start getting wise to it you can end the air dash early with j.L or something and use c.M to catch them blocking high. I'm on PSN as Eeveegou if you want to run some matches sometimes, I can show you some of the boring mid-level horseshit that I use. For Nova and Doom anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

i have both and i have UMVC3 for both but i mainly play on 360. i'll make an exception for you guys tho. psn: dorkasaurus_rex

• Locked thread