Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."
It's good to be back, it's better to be on top.

VIC Championships 2012
entered 3 divisions.

Bronze closed no-gi.
Silver open no-gi (was up 12-3, got tapped with less then a second to go).
Gold open gi.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Awesome!! Congrats!! Good to see you're back in action.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
One of each! The best possible outcome for unlocking achievements! Congratulations, Adolfo!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

11km run before breakfast, and according to my (not very good) bathroom scales I'm 66kg already. Weighins still 4 days away, shouldn't have any problems making weight, it shouldn't be a very big cut at all.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Adolfo Castro posted:

It's good to be back, it's better to be on top.

VIC Championships 2012
entered 3 divisions.

Bronze closed no-gi.
Silver open no-gi (was up 12-3, got tapped with less then a second to go).
Gold open gi.

Nice work, mate! Achieved gold in the most difficult discipline (IMO) even ...

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

'grats man, that's pretty awesome. Keep on rollin'

Adolfo Castro
Aug 6, 2002
"I think rape is fucking hilarious."

lodewijk posted:

Nice work, mate! Achieved gold in the most difficult discipline (IMO) even ...

No-gi gets a lot of wrestlers and stuff coming across. Honestly I think a lot of people dropped out and I lucked out with a lot of the opponents.

I stupidly MISSED my category (closed gi, read the wrong time) and feel like the anger helped me that tiny bit to put me ahead.

Adolfo Castro fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 24, 2012

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

4 sleeps til fight day!

Any tips for nutrition on the day? Any other little tips for dealing with the adrenaline or whatever?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Everything will run late guaranteed. Bring a book/mp3 player/PSP/whatever.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Fighting in this event. My name's not on the card because I'm a replacement.

http://www.facebook.com/events/185143328271771/

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

gimpsuitjones posted:

4 sleeps til fight day!

Any tips for nutrition on the day? Any other little tips for dealing with the adrenaline or whatever?

Eat clean, carb up and hydrate. I usually eat pasta or sandwitches, and munch cliff bars anx fruit up untill and hour or so from my fight. Eat a good breakfest to as long as you arn't worring about weight.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Ugh, blew my knee out while rolling last night. I was in DLR guard and my knee just 'popped'. There was no strain or pressure being applied so it's really weird.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I had a nightmare about that and stopped playing dlr except in very specific positions. Sorry that happened, do you know what gave out?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
No clue yet. Went to the ER last night and now have a follow-up with my primary care provider tomorrow.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anybody looking for gear I wanted to suggest a place I've been shopping at a while. I've gotten a few pairs of shorts and rash guards and they have survived me pretty well. Had one of our heavyweights snatch hold of my rash guard rolling and stretched it ridiculously and it snapped right back.

combativesgear.com

It also is neat if you like military camo since they make rash guards, mma gloves and shorts in those patterns. The coupon code PINTO gets you 10% off your order. Fast shipping is also a plus and great customer service.

I was also wondering if anyone had tips for getting the darce choke off of a front head lock. I've been trying but I don't think I'm landing it properly.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

That is a good link to have, I absolutely despise the MMA 'look' that the UFC's marketing machine has created.

It's good to see a place that sell functional clothes for MMA that are blank. I don't want shorts that say URB4N WAR-RYOR F1GHT CL0TH1NG in shiny gold and have some big lovely eagle on them or whatever, I want a pair of black goddamn shorts that won't fall off and have one of those elastic strips for kicking.

I also hate it when a gi has too much on it, it's a pity you can't get the really high quality gis in just a plain white without patches. Unless somebody can direct me to some completely baller gi brand that I'm unaware of.

Maybe I should start a clothing label or something.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

TheKingslayer posted:

I was also wondering if anyone had tips for getting the darce choke off of a front head lock. I've been trying but I don't think I'm landing it properly.
I think you might be using the terminology and actually mean arm triangle or anaconda choke. This choke uses the head grip arm to choke. In contrast, the Brabo or D'Arce uses the arm that goes under your opponent's arm to do the choking.

A front headlock lends itself to arm triangles/anacondas much more readily than the D'Arce. In case you actually meant the D'Arce, one quick way of getting one off a front headlock is to use your head grip hand to get a chin strap and let go of the trapped arm side grip and the use the now free arm to get a deep grip around opponent's same side leg for a cradle. Now swing your head grip side leg under you to the opposite side of opponent to sit through and pull down his head and lift his leg to drop him onto his side. Let go of his leg and thread your former leg grip arm under his armpit that is closer to the ceiling and down under the side of his neck closer to the mat (drop your shoulder to do this to get a properly deep grip. Scoop up his head and pull it and use the elbow of your head grip hand and post it on the back of his head to help push the head in. Grab your own bicep and grip opp side with your free hand. Now turn your hips back down to face toward his legs. and place your knee against his higher hip.

EDIt:

Alternatively if you actually meant anaconda then get a palm to palm grip and use it to clear the trapped arm to you and tuck your head under his trapped arm armpit and olympic roll to that side to drop opponent onto his side then slide the arm in deep and get the arm triangle/anaconda and wakl your legs in to finish.

Let me know if you need more details.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 25, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I also hate it when a gi has too much on it, it's a pity you can't get the really high quality gis in just a plain white without patches. Unless somebody can direct me to some completely baller gi brand that I'm unaware of.
HCK

gi
http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/bjj/single.htm

rashguard
http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/grappling/shirts/short.sleeve/default.htm

shorts
http://www.howardliu.com/catalog/grappling/shorts/default.htm

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

That is a good link to have, I absolutely despise the MMA 'look' that the UFC's marketing machine has created.

It's good to see a place that sell functional clothes for MMA that are blank. I don't want shorts that say URB4N WAR-RYOR F1GHT CL0TH1NG in shiny gold and have some big lovely eagle on them or whatever, I want a pair of black goddamn shorts that won't fall off and have one of those elastic strips for kicking.

Maybe I should start a clothing label or something.

That's why I like them a lot. Nothing flashy, no crazy skulls and samurai crap. Just functional and durable gear. Plus I was a total sucker for that digi cam gi.

Also, Yuns, that explanation on chokes from the front headlock was excellent. Thank you very much.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I was doing some koshi guruma against a few guys on the crash pad one of the black belts told me to stop wasting my time as I'll never pull it off in comp or randori. Thoguh, kolliwog, im 5'11 and a half. Should I give it up and just stick with seoi nage? I thought it was a really interesting throw as I land in kesa gatame. Is he accurate with his assessment of that throw or just bein a douche?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Koshi Garuma is one of the first throws that we teach and I see it in competition a fair amount. I've won a few matches with it myself. I don't see why it would be any less valid than any Koshi Waza technique. You probably aren't going to win the Olympics or anything with Koshi Garuma but it isn't some esoteric waste of time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7_80vNCbE

You can also start it with a 3/4 nelson to get them onto their side, too.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Koshi guruma's fine, like any throw it has its time and place (usually nestled between an ouchi gari and an uchi mata in my case).

What's not fine is crash pads. Unless there's a medical need, I (and every single judoka I've ever talked to about 'em) say avoid them like the plague. Not only do they mess up your uke's ukemi, but they also change your throw significantly because 'ground level' for your throw is up so much higher than ground level for your feet. Judo was designed to be completely safe when practiced at full speed on tatami, you wouldn't run around with crutches to practice for a track meet right?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Ugh. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not getting any better at striking, despite training at it four nights a week. And I've got shin splints. And a stinger that's lasted for four days. Any advice or pep talks?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drewjitsu posted:

Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR7_80vNCbE

You can also start it with a 3/4 nelson to get them onto their side, too.

The visual representation is really helpful. I should be able to hit that fairly often.

Last night I had to roll with a guy who was at least 300 pounds. I'm 150 on a good day. Thankfully he was not very good at anything or I might have been crushed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

CivilDisobedience posted:

What's not fine is crash pads. Unless there's a medical need, I (and every single judoka I've ever talked to about 'em) say avoid them like the plague. Not only do they mess up your uke's ukemi, but they also change your throw significantly because 'ground level' for your throw is up so much higher than ground level for your feet. Judo was designed to be completely safe when practiced at full speed on tatami, you wouldn't run around with crutches to practice for a track meet right?

Counterpoint: Taking falls for pretty much any Makikomi throw

Crash pads are a tool. They can be overused but they definitely have a place in training.

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

Ugh. I'm starting to feel like I'm just not getting any better at striking, despite training at it four nights a week. And I've got shin splints. And a stinger that's lasted for four days. Any advice or pep talks?

Try going back over sparring sessions in your head. Think about every time you got hit, what you got hit with, and why it hit you. Think about your training partners' general styles, what techniques/combos they tend to rely on, and how they tend to respond to your attacks.

Figure out some new things that you can do to take advantage of what you know about them, and then go try those things in sparring. Some will just be bad ideas, but others might work with a little practice. Things will get worse before they get better since you're trying new stuff, but once it gets ingrained you'll be a more well-rounded fighter than before.

gimpsuitjones posted:

4 sleeps til fight day!

The last few hours before the fight are the worst part. You'll feel better once you get in the cage.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CaptainScraps posted:

Take a break next week or maybe go one day. You'll poo poo lightning once you've had some mental and physical recovery time.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Counterpoint: Taking falls for pretty much any Makikomi throw

Crash pads are a tool. They can be overused but they definitely have a place in training.

I know where you're coming from cause I've had some seriously fat guys just drop on me with their makikomis, but skilled toris can catch themselves on a forearm (like a forward breakfall but with just one arm) and avoid causing you any undue suffering without sacrificing control or technique. You really shouldn't need crash pads for judo, they're a recent invention and only see widespread use in America afaik

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CaptainScraps posted:

Like Panda said, break down what you're doing in sparring. What isn't working for you? Why isn't it working? Formulate a change in game plan and drill aspects of it. Next time you step in the ring, tell your coach (or whomever is watching you spar) what your tactics are, and to yell at you if you don't stick to them.

I've found videotaping my sparring to be quite educational. It reveals stuff that you sort of know about, but becomes extremely evident when you watch from outside your own body.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Okay thanks guys I'll keep at it. Thats what I wanted to hear really. I just have to remember to keep my elbow down on the arm that has the high grip lest I get thrown for left handed seoi. edit: wait, it would just be a normal seoi.

Also, I actually complained about having to use the crash mat as it was only my group that had to use it (it was me, a green belt and a black belt so I think we would have been completely fine) and the sensei made some joke like 'its not because we think you're weak, you're just throwing so good that we don't want you smashing anyone into the mat hehehehe'. Translation: "you're poo poo and we don't trust you to breakfall or to not dump your partner on his head but here's a joke to misdirect your attention from the insult I'm throwing at you in front of the whole class". I hate feeling weak in front of the class more than anything and I've never dumped anyone either so it was weird for me. Oh well, soldier on. I suppose I shouldn't be getting upset over the little things as much as I do.

Nierbo fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 26, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
We had a rash of cracked ribs off of some really beautiful, tight technique. So I've been breaking out the crashpad a bit more just to keep us out of the trainer's room.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I don't normally post in here but I happened to poke in when you're talking about maki komi.

You shouldn't be ending with maki komi when working with anyone to whom you feel even remotely friendly (so, hopefully, everyone). It has a high risk of injuring uke, a moderate risk of injuring tori, and more often than not happens as a result of kuzushi and tsukuri not being sufficient for kake to be easily performed with enough control; so you throw your weight into it, compromise your balance beyond your limits, and down you go. Somewhere in there we decided this was a good thing because guys were getting ippons.

If you can throw someone well without maki komi, it's also easy enough to add it in if you really must. But you're gonna hurt someone. And if that's your goal, there's better ways to do it through throwing. I find I learn a lot more when I'm not hurt. Throwing without having to rely on maki komi will result in better technique for uke and tori.

Crash pads are great, but being a bit more gentle in your work with someone who isn't proficient enough in ukemi for whatever you're working on is a better route, I've found.

And yeah, Nierbo, you'll be your own worst enemy in the beginning. ...and a long time after that, too.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Pro click. That'll probably be my next gi. Thanks.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Anybody looking for gear I wanted to suggest a place I've been shopping at a while. I've gotten a few pairs of shorts and rash guards and they have survived me pretty well. Had one of our heavyweights snatch hold of my rash guard rolling and stretched it ridiculously and it snapped right back.

combativesgear.com

It also is neat if you like military camo since they make rash guards, mma gloves and shorts in those patterns. The coupon code PINTO gets you 10% off your order. Fast shipping is also a plus and great customer service.

I'm disappointed that their multicam rashguard isn't full multicam.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

I'm disappointed that their multicam rashguard isn't full multicam.

I guess they thought it was look weird. Usually though if you send them a message about it and they get some requests they make what you're looking for. I asked about a multicam rashguard before it was in their store and they decided to just put it on there that night instead of waiting to release it. It was pretty cool.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I don't normally post in here but I happened to poke in when you're talking about maki komi.

You shouldn't be ending with maki komi when working with anyone to whom you feel even remotely friendly (so, hopefully, everyone). It has a high risk of injuring uke, a moderate risk of injuring tori, and more often than not happens as a result of kuzushi and tsukuri not being sufficient for kake to be easily performed with enough control; so you throw your weight into it, compromise your balance beyond your limits, and down you go. Somewhere in there we decided this was a good thing because guys were getting ippons.

Here's an instructional video of Makikomis so non Judo guys know what we're talking about

What risk of injury to tori exists in a Makikomi?

Makikomi can be used as a last ditch attempt to use strength, yes. But techniques like Soto Makikomi and Harai Makikomi are very valid and useful competition techniques that aren't particularly dangerous, they are just tough falls for an uke to take over and over. Soto Makikomi in particular is a great throw because it is high percentage when done right and when it doesn't work you expose yourself to very little risk of a counter or a pin/submission.

Makikomis get a bad rap because people don't practice them and just try to hit them in an awkward scramble situation.

Here's a great video of a guy doing Ko-uchi Makikomi in competition. That's some beautiful Judo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I disagree with that. We practiced maki komi last class for like 1 hour and no one was in pain. If you practice them slowly at first so you get how you're supposed to do them so you both fall as one, no one will get hurt. Of course you can't do 20 maki komis at full force in a row and enjoy it, but that would be ridiculous anyway...

I feel a maki komi is a legitimate way to approach a movement and I don't feel it's caused by a lack of control.

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

I disagree with that. We practiced maki komi last class for like 1 hour and no one was in pain. If you practice them slowly at first so you get how you're supposed to do them so you both fall as one, no one will get hurt. Of course you can't do 20 maki komis at full force in a row and enjoy it, but that would be ridiculous anyway...

I feel a maki komi is a legitimate way to approach a movement and I don't feel it's caused by a lack of control.

I think makikomi is a legitimate technique, but it has the potential to be a lazy big man's technique. I think Yamashita says something about this in his book; his coach told him to fight like a middleweight, no makikomi, no sacrifice throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

With injuries to tori, inexperienced players can sometimes brace with arms and dislocate shoulders/wrists/elbows, or place shoulders into uke and separate their SC joint (especially with something like ouchigari performed maki komi style).

You can practice it without being hurt, I've thrown and been thrown with maki komi techniques without incident; I've also had accidents. Especially in competition.

Maki komi has its place, and it's entirely legitimate. My intent was to point out to someone fairly new that it's not something you must do, and that in my experience focusing on other techniques will result in a far better game.

• Locked thread