Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I want to install ICS on my Verizon Droid Bionic but am totally new to rooting and modifying my phone in general. Is there a a good guide that explains the steps I need to take and the different versions of ICS? Is there a version best suited for the Bionic?

Step 1: Get root. You're going to want to hunt down MotoFail, as it's the most reliable root tool right now.

Step 2: Use Safestrap. Don't use regular Bionic Bootstrap, as you can accidentally lock yourself out of the phone.

Step 3: Use Team Gummy's ICS. I've been running it and it's been as stable as an ICS ROM can get for running on a Gingerbread kernel.

Please note several things: Video recording and HDMI do not work with Bionic ICS. The camera crashes occasionally. I think Bluetooth headsets don't work. Phone calls occasionally do not work. Also, radio and data are still a little bit flaky. None of these features will work correctly until Moto officially puts ICS on the device, so it can have an ICS kernel. The locked bootloader prevents alternate kernel usage (until kexec gets better development). I've had no problem watching Flash videos and Youtube, thankfully.

If you're wanting a stable non-ICS ROM, grab Eclipse 2.2

ProjektorBoy fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ProjektorBoy posted:

Please note several things: Video recording and HDMI do not work with Bionic ICS. The camera crashes occasionally. I think Bluetooth headsets don't work. Phone calls occasionally do not work. Also, radio and data are still a little bit flaky. None of these features will work correctly until Moto officially puts ICS on the device, so it can have an ICS kernel. The locked bootloader prevents alternate kernel usage (until kexec gets better development). I've had no problem watching Flash videos and Youtube, thankfully.

Videocam Illusion will provide video recording on ICS for non-hardware supported units. It's free from the Market. HD recording is hit or miss but the lower resolutions work fine.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ProjektorBoy posted:

Step 1: Get root. You're going to want to hunt down MotoFail, as it's the most reliable root tool right now.

Step 2: Use Safestrap. Don't use regular Bionic Bootstrap, as you can accidentally lock yourself out of the phone.

Step 3: Use Team Gummy's ICS. I've been running it and it's been as stable as an ICS ROM can get for running on a Gingerbread kernel.

Christ, I don't mind being on the cutting edge and dealing with a few bugs, but drat, that'd be far too buggy for me.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm still trying to root a nook color. It is 1.4.2 but I do have a sd card with cwm loaded on it. From what I've read I can root if I had the latest version of manualnooter on the sd card but i cant find a good link on xda. Help?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ProjektorBoy posted:

Please note several things: Video recording and HDMI do not work with Bionic ICS. The camera crashes occasionally. I think Bluetooth headsets don't work. Phone calls occasionally do not work. Also, radio and data are still a little bit flaky.

Hahahahaha

This is why I went back to stock on my razr maxx. None of the ROMS work reliably. Putting up with data connectivity issues, camera, bluetooth, and reliability issues aren't worth the hassle at all.

The camera alone I could deal with, but losing data super often throughout the day immediately pissed me off. I don't see how people can deal with their smartphone having no internet at all. It becomes a cumbersome dumb phone.

Moto pushed a .181 (I believe) update out on Verizon last night. Build release is marked March 8th. Cool, guys. Update me to more non ICS builds please. =/

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wiped and flashed the newest version of Liquid for my VZW GNex yesterday. After everything loaded back up and I was using Titanium Backup to restore data for some apps, I did a dumb thing trying to take a shortcut: I restored the data for Bluetooth pairings and Bluetooth settings. Now when I turn on bluetooth to connect to my car's stereo, it doesn't connect. It sees it, but doesn't connect. I tap 'Unpair' and it will not remove or unpair. Is there a way to get it working again without wiping over again?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

yamdankee posted:

I wiped and flashed the newest version of Liquid for my VZW GNex yesterday. After everything loaded back up and I was using Titanium Backup to restore data for some apps, I did a dumb thing trying to take a shortcut: I restored the data for Bluetooth pairings and Bluetooth settings. Now when I turn on bluetooth to connect to my car's stereo, it doesn't connect. It sees it, but doesn't connect. I tap 'Unpair' and it will not remove or unpair. Is there a way to get it working again without wiping over again?

Go into your app data and clear the data for it? I'm just guessing on this.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I was intrigued by the thought of multiple windows, and then pleasantly surprised to see that it's available for my Transformer! Right now my TF101 is only rooted, but I am going to install CWM and that ROM as soon as I get a chance, followed by a trip report for how well Cornerstone works.

Edit: Actually, it looks like anyone could flash the ICS ROM with onskreen cornerstone in it. https://github.com/Onskreen/cornerstone/downloads I'm kind of scared to try it on my GNex, though.

Fake edit: Is it ok to install a ROM that has 3G in the name, on a WiFi only device?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 24, 2012

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

yamdankee posted:

Fake edit: Is it ok to install a ROM that has 3G in the name, on a WiFi only device?

Nope! Don't do that.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Aww man. And the ROMs on github are XOOM tablets only. When am I going to be able to have multiple windows open on my transformer? :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

yamdankee posted:

Aww man. And the ROMs on github are XOOM tablets only. When am I going to be able to have multiple windows open on my transformer? :(

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1525148

A cornerstone build is available there, but it looks like it's kind of buggy still.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah that's the thread I linked to a few posts above, and then I asked if it's ok to flash a ROM that's for 3G. You said no. Now I'm sad.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

yamdankee posted:

Yeah that's the thread I linked to a few posts above, and then I asked if it's ok to flash a ROM that's for 3G. You said no. Now I'm sad.

Ah, my bad. Looks like it's not available for wifi-only like you said. It's just as well because the 3G build is buggy. v:shobon:v

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Slopehead posted:

Yeah it's a pretty good recovery. I've avoided touch interface in my recovery because most implementations strike me as somewhat buggy and if there is one place I really don't want bugs, it's in the recovery. I used 4ext RC 1 a while back and I really enjoyed how thorough their database was on how your partitions are set up.

That being said, I don't really flash a ton of roms anymore. G2 devving is stuck at an impasse of nobody actually talking to each other and fixing the issues with their ICS based roms. Thus, everyone keeps pooping out the same 2/3 working generic crap and calling it the best thing next to sliced bread.

Which ROM did you settle on? I've been using MIUI Android since dev stopped when it was declared stable.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
I have an EVO 4G from Sprint and I have been having a hard time picking the right ROM to use on the phone. I really want something basic that is stable with great battery life.

I was thinking of going with EVO Classic, but wanted to see if anyone has used this or any other ROM.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312414

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My SNESdroid doesn't want to work right when I use an HDMI cable with my Samsung Galaxy S II (Rooted Gingerbread, build UVKL1, haven't installed a custom ROM yet so it's still the stock T-Mobile thing). It feels like it's running at half speed; the video and audio stutters to the point that nothing is playable unless I unplug the HDMI cable. If I use the fast-forward feature then the audio sounds normal, but the graphics stutter even worse. It feels like a processing issue, but shouldn't my phone be able to handle this?

Everything else works great over HDMI, and I don't have any emulation problems normally. It's upsetting since I've read about others who can play their SNES games over HDMI, with bluebooth controllers even, but I can't for some reason

Any ideas? I tried clearing the RAM via Task Manager, which opened up an extra 200MB but that didn't seem to help. I figured I'd ask here since my handset is rooted (the Apps thread didn't have any ideas)

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.

ProjektorBoy posted:

That almost sounds as bad as a prescription medicine disclaimer in a commercial. Might cause blindness, vomiting, cancer, death, etc.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Welcome to Android development, Sa forums user Diehlr. Enjoy your stay.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

RagingHematoma posted:

I have an EVO 4G from Sprint and I have been having a hard time picking the right ROM to use on the phone. I really want something basic that is stable with great battery life.

I was thinking of going with EVO Classic, but wanted to see if anyone has used this or any other ROM.

CM 7.2 RC1

mtr
May 15, 2008

RagingHematoma posted:

This is the ROM that I use. I switched from CM to this and never looked back. It's simple and everything just works. I have zero complaints about it.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

RexSS345 posted:

CM 7.2 RC1

I've been using this on my Evo 4G for the last week or so, and I'm going to flash to something different tonight. Programs crash more on CM 7.2 than any other ROM I've used so far, the phone's randomly restarted itself a few times, and battery usage was significantly better when I was running CM 7.1 awhile back (yeah, I've been through more than my share of ROMs).

I think tonight I'll give that Classic ROM a spin, it sounds promising. Maybe I'll even manage to get GPS working with it.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

mtr posted:

This is the ROM that I use. I switched from CM to this and never looked back. It's simple and everything just works. I have zero complaints about it.

I think I am gong to give it a shot too. CM7 looks good, but a lot of users report GPS and Bluetooth issues. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
S-Off and the ICS rom for the T-Mobile Amaze both came out yesterday, so I went ahead and did both and I am loving the hot hot ICS action on my phone now!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Porkchop Express posted:

S-Off and the ICS rom for the T-Mobile Amaze both came out yesterday, so I went ahead and did both and I am loving the hot hot ICS action on my phone now!

That's pretty sweet, but I had no idea that the Amaze didn't have an unlocked bootloader until now.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

diehlr posted:

That almost sounds as bad as a prescription medicine disclaimer in a commercial. Might cause blindness, vomiting, cancer, death, etc.

Slopehead posted:

Welcome to Android development, Sa forums user Diehlr. Enjoy your stay.

These are the locked bootloader blues, my friends. It'd be nice if someone could just fab up an ICS kernel and jam it in there, but alas we cannot.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My friend has a Droid X and wants me to root/flash this thing. What is the go-to ROM for stability and battery life on the Droid X now adays? I was content with using CM4DX-GB, but if there is something better, I'd be open to that*.

*Not any of the ICS based crap, as I never once had a good experience with those.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Gyshall posted:

My friend has a Droid X and wants me to root/flash this thing. What is the go-to ROM for stability and battery life on the Droid X now adays? I was content with using CM4DX-GB, but if there is something better, I'd be open to that*.

*Not any of the ICS based crap, as I never once had a good experience with those.

Rev-Numbers CM is what I've always resorted back to. I believe the most recent version that I use was put out in nov/dec 2011.

I'll get a wild hair every now and then and try MIUI, but I always come back. Real simple flash too.

Make sure they aren't at .621 as this is not rootable nor is it at all friendly with trying to root. .605 is the last release that has a working root for it.

edit: found it on rootzwiki http://rootzwiki.com/topic/2902-dev-threaddroidx-cm7-with-gingerbread-kernel/

Looks like it was 11/5, version on Rom Manager is 9/28 so use the package from rootzwiki. Noticeable battery difference.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 25, 2012

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Mark Larson posted:

That's pretty sweet, but I had no idea that the Amaze didn't have an unlocked bootloader until now.

People have been working on it, but nothing was released until yesterday.

A word of warning to anyone with an amaze who wants to attempt this, you are probably going to fail the first few times. You have to be a piece of insulated wire and jam one in against a pin on the back of the phone, and the other on SD card chassis when the program tells you. It took me about a dozen times before I finally got the timing down right. After that everything else was gravy.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Hahahahaha

This is why I went back to stock on my razr maxx. None of the ROMS work reliably. Putting up with data connectivity issues, camera, bluetooth, and reliability issues aren't worth the hassle at all.

The camera alone I could deal with, but losing data super often throughout the day immediately pissed me off. I don't see how people can deal with their smartphone having no internet at all. It becomes a cumbersome dumb phone.

Moto pushed a .181 (I believe) update out on Verizon last night. Build release is marked March 8th. Cool, guys. Update me to more non ICS builds please. =/

I'm using the leaked ics update and it works great. None of the bugs the other ics builds have.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Wait, a leaked ics update from vzw/motorola for the razr?

quote:

Yea I got it, broke root. Easily got root back.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Wait, a leaked ics update from vzw/motorola for the razr?

Yes. Hardware acceleration and everything. You can download the update over at XDA.

kalicki
Jan 5, 2004

Every King needs his jester
Any thoughts on best rom for Verizon Galaxy Nexus? Had to reflash everything, so may as well try a new rom

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've tried a lot of stuff, but always went back to and ultimately ended up satisfied with pete's stock 4.0.4. When CM9 is fully released I'll probably switch to that, but for now stock is the most stable and gets the best battery life.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So can some one who has installed the leaked Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 OTA tell me how it effects root? I've read conflicting reports as to whether it breaks it, and whether I can restore it after installation.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

vote_no posted:

I've tried a lot of stuff, but always went back to and ultimately ended up satisfied with pete's stock 4.0.4. When CM9 is fully released I'll probably switch to that, but for now stock is the most stable and gets the best battery life.

Have you tried Liquid? I'd like to know if you're getting better battery life with pete's stock than Liquid. Also, what kernel are you using?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

So can some one who has installed the leaked Verizon Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 OTA tell me how it effects root? I've read conflicting reports as to whether it breaks it, and whether I can restore it after installation.

Why not just installed a rooted version of that OTA?

edit: also if your bootloader is unlocked then you can never permanently lose root

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Penguissimo posted:

Why not just installed a rooted version of that OTA?

edit: also if your bootloader is unlocked then you can never permanently lose root

Got source for one? I think I saw one floating around XDA but there were reports that it was some sort of jury rigged mess.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

RagingHematoma posted:

I loved MIUI. Look into that one. 1.12.9 was the one I stuck with.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
If you're installing OTA updates (or even leaked OTA updates) just install OTA Rootkeeper and have it save a backup of your root. A single button press will reroot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Ok, I've decided that when my new phone comes in the mail I would like to try rooting it.

I got a HTC Hero S, and it should be coming with 2.3 Gingerbread so I was wondering which directions I need to follow?

Do EVO instructions also apply to this phone, or what? I know EVO Design 4g is the other name for it, but since it's also called hero, I'm just lost.