Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Has anyone else noticed that every game that's included "Chapter 1" or "Book One" or whatever in their game's title has been a catastrophically gigantic failure?

Those Faery Tale games, Siege of Avalon, whatever the hell Yendorian is, etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

duckfarts posted:

My friend's looking for a game that was (probably)for the C64:
  • It was in sub-saharan Africa or someplace similar
  • You were looking for something and when you lost or died, they said something along the lines of "You've evaded me this time"
  • There was a canteen at the bottom of the screen that you would fill up at oases. If you ran out, you died.
  • You had an onscreen display of your bullets of which you maybe only had like 10 of, and were scarce
Any ideas?

Could this be Tusker?

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

CrookedB posted:

Yendorian Tales I (1994)

Holy smokes, I think this might actually be it! Thank you so much. It looked a lot nicer in the catalog, or maybe it was just my 10 year old eyes.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I saw this game in this forum a while ago, maybe as much as a year
Back then it was not finished yet, in fact in the OP they linked to their kickstarter page (the game was partially goon made).

The game itself was from what i understand a game similar to the side scrolling beat em up arcade games from the early 90s (final fight, streets of rage, etc) and also shank of more recent times.
The graphics/setting was western/cowboy style i think ? though that might not be true.
I realise this isnt a lot to go on but id love to find out what this game was called!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Catellite posted:

Could this be Tusker?
No, but really good guess.

He finally found the game; it was Almazz, and he's really thankful for your guys' help(wouldn't have found it otherwise).

Geez, the C64 had a crazy amount of obscure games.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
I'm looking for a custom map for WC 3! It was LOTR themed and was just this really epic twelve person game where everyone controlled one of the faction and their units and battled it out. I would really like to download it again so I could play it more with friends, but have no idea where to find it and it doesn't seem to pop up on WC 3's bnet anymore.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

semicolonsrock posted:

I'm looking for a custom map for WC 3! It was LOTR themed and was just this really epic twelve person game where everyone controlled one of the faction and their units and battled it out. I would really like to download it again so I could play it more with friends, but have no idea where to find it and it doesn't seem to pop up on WC 3's bnet anymore.

I always go looking for that one from time to time. It's always difficult to find but I do get it eventually, I think it's just called "War of the Ring V3".

My favourite thing to do was kill everyone with Aragorn so he could have Narsil, the One Ring, and the three Elven Rings of Power.

Edit: Actually I think it's LotR: The Ring Wars Beta19.

http://warcraft3.filefront.com/file/LotR_The_Ring_Wars;31370

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 27, 2012

Sillipenda
May 22, 2007
I'm trying to remember an educational PC game, and I think it was like Quarky & Quaysoo's Turbo Science as far as appearances went. What I remember was that there were three demons/devils and they tried to get kids to join gangs and paint graffiti and things like that. I believe one of the puzzles involved the gang using a pipe bomb on someones house. And when you cleared one of the bad things puzzles, they became reformed. Any help?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Joe Man posted:

Has anyone else noticed that every game that's included "Chapter 1" or "Book One" or whatever in their game's title has been a catastrophically gigantic failure?

Those Faery Tale games, Siege of Avalon, whatever the hell Yendorian is, etc...

I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of Rap Jam and Primal Image.

There's a Diablo clone I can't remember the name of. It came out some time in between Icarus and Revenant so late nineties. I'm pretty sure it only came out on PC but it is NOT Darkstone, Clans, or Nox. In the grim dark world of nineties gaming, all I remember for sure is that the setting was vaguely post apocalyptic but had magic/powers and guns also. It was definitely real time too not like Fallout Tactics or Odium.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'm trying to remember the name of this Myst parody game that is not Pyst.

It was a Mac game, probably shareware, from around 1995. I want to say the title screen had the letters in the title rearranging themselves accompanied by giggling noises, but that might be from something else. If you remember the old Macintalk voices, "Pipe Organ" was definitely used at some point in the game, I believe saying something about a "Powerbook disk."

Do dooo. Do dooo. Doo doo doodoo something a powerbook disk.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 29, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of Rap Jam and Primal Image.

There's a Diablo clone I can't remember the name of. It came out some time in between Icarus and Revenant so late nineties. I'm pretty sure it only came out on PC but it is NOT Darkstone, Clans, or Nox. In the grim dark world of nineties gaming, all I remember for sure is that the setting was vaguely post apocalyptic but had magic/powers and guns also. It was definitely real time too not like Fallout Tactics or Odium.

This is stretching the idea of "Diablo Clone" but it could always be Arcanum.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Here's an easy one for a chance:

What was the indie space game with space pirate cats wearing beanies? The battles were simultaneously resolved turn-based battles taking place in y, x and z axis. There was this adventure phase in which you encountered all kinds of random stuff and then there was the battle phase. It isn't probably more than two years old.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

These Loving Eyes posted:

Here's an easy one for a chance:

What was the indie space game with space pirate cats wearing beanies? The battles were simultaneously resolved turn-based battles taking place in y, x and z axis. There was this adventure phase in which you encountered all kinds of random stuff and then there was the battle phase. It isn't probably more than two years old.

Flotilla.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

al-azad posted:

Flotilla.

Thanks!

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009
I have a possibly difficult game that I have been thinking of recently. I remember it coming out in the early 90's when I was a child and it was dos based. The game was not in english and it was some type of horror FPS game where you had to kill santa claus, reindeer and elves. I remember the game being really creepy and dark, but I was also like 5 years old when I played this.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Justinen posted:

I have a possibly difficult game that I have been thinking of recently. I remember it coming out in the early 90's when I was a child and it was dos based. The game was not in english and it was some type of horror FPS game where you had to kill santa claus, reindeer and elves. I remember the game being really creepy and dark, but I was also like 5 years old when I played this.

Xmas Carnage?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Joe Man posted:

It does seem to be almost universal that new games trumpeting their status as the first in a series just die. Prophecy I: The Fall of Trinadon, Sentinal Worlds I: Future Magic ... oh no, was Ultima I called that at the time?!? Whew, no, just Ultima. OH NO! MIGHT & MAGIC BOOK ONE ... and the infamous instantly-forgotten-actual-title "Tales of the Unknown, Volume I: The Bard's Tale." But of course there are going to be exceptions. Undeserved hubris is probably harder to overcome than modest ambitions.

Rollersnake posted:

If you remember the old Macintalk voices, "Pipe Organ" was definitely used at some point in the game, I believe saying something about a "Powerbook disk."

Do dooo. Do dooo. Doo doo doodoo something a powerbook disk.
I have no idea what this game is, but wow, I played around with the Macintosh voices so much when I was younger that I just want you to know I can totally hear exactly what you typed. Do DOOO. Do DOOO. Doo DOO dooDOO someTHING a powERbook dEEsk.

Justinen
Mar 17, 2009

jack. posted:

Xmas Carnage?

Very nice, thank you Jack.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
I'm trying to remember the name of this pretty obscure freeware DOS game. From what I remember, the main character had to go up and down floors in this building kind of like Elevator Action, but the whole level took place on one screen.

I think the enemies were all zombies, and I distinctly remember whenever the player picked up a key or a weapon, a low quality sound effect played of some guy going "YEEEAAAH". I don't think there was any jumping, or if there was, it was pretty clumsy.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I want to know about a game where you are on another planet like Mars or something and you join a corporation or something like that.

You have a base and you have to create mech's with custom weapons that you send after the other side in a arena-like place.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Koorisch posted:

I want to know about a game where you are on another planet like Mars or something and you join a corporation or something like that.

You have a base and you have to create mech's with custom weapons that you send after the other side in a arena-like place.

Corporation factions, piecemeal giant robots, RTS action, yup. That sounds like Metal Fatigue.

Pinchy
Feb 15, 2004

Fishy deep sea businessman.
Got an obscure one thats based on childhood memories. It was a Commodore 64 game with a 2.5d isometric action/adventure(think crystal caverns) game set in the future. There was an inventory system, and rooms with huge holes you could fall down. The rooms were laid out room by room kind of like Zelda and i believe you couldd shoot things. My dad had a bootleg copy, i think it was labeled "commando" (obviously not commando). Been trying to figure it out for years.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Pinchy posted:

Got an obscure one thats based on childhood memories. It was a Commodore 64 game with a 2.5d isometric action/adventure(think crystal caverns) game set in the future. There was an inventory system, and rooms with huge holes you could fall down. The rooms were laid out room by room kind of like Zelda and i believe you couldd shoot things. My dad had a bootleg copy, i think it was labeled "commando" (obviously not commando). Been trying to figure it out for years.
Might be Space Crusade? But it only switches to isometric for the fights.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

scamtank posted:

Corporation factions, piecemeal giant robots, RTS action, yup. That sounds like Metal Fatigue.

No, it was more like a set arena-like enviroment and you had to customize your robot/tank things with all sorts of things, I think you could change the movement parts, like wheels to tank parts and so on, you still had legs for some of them I think so it's definitely not Warzone 2100, I own that already.

I just hope I remember right so it's not something I thought up when I was sleeping. :v:

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played as a kid. I think it was on the SNES. You played as some kind of vampire hunter, infiltrating Dracula's castle. Not Castlevania, your character had a sword instead of a whip. You started at the outskirts of the castle and had to clear a couple levels including a barn to get to the castle itself, IIRC.

I think one of the early bosses was a giant ghostly woman in a white gown or something.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Canemacar posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a game I played as a kid. I think it was on the SNES. You played as some kind of vampire hunter, infiltrating Dracula's castle. Not Castlevania, your character had a sword instead of a whip. You started at the outskirts of the castle and had to clear a couple levels including a barn to get to the castle itself, IIRC.

I think one of the early bosses was a giant ghostly woman in a white gown or something.

Bram Stoker's Dracula?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Canemacar posted:

Might it be Frankenstein: The Monster Returns, for the NES? I used to love playing this game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Plinth posted:

Bram Stoker's Dracula?

This is most likely it. I got it for free in a SNES lot from Awful Mart and I still feel like I was ripped off :gonk:

The Fifteenth Pen
Jun 2, 2006
Yes.

DebonaireD posted:

Holy smokes, I think this might actually be it! Thank you so much. It looked a lot nicer in the catalog, or maybe it was just my 10 year old eyes.

Just in case that isn't it, I didn't see anyone mention Realmz yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realmz

The demo of that one was pretty easy to come by, and it sounds a lot like your initial description.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My sister sent me this email:

"What was that old game we played [around 1996-2000]? Ok so it was one of those games kind of like myst where you can't see yourself. There was a city under a glass dome that I never got into. You could use magic and there were no dungeons or really enemies that I remember."

When I asked if it was Death Gate, she responded with:

"It didn't have inventory. And i don't think it was point and click the same way monkey island was"

Seems like the 'glass city' is the only notable thing she remembers.

Edit: I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
For quite a while I've been wondering about a game I remember very vaguely. It was an action game, sort of Zelda-ish, probably either for the N64 or the Playstation (or at least from that era). It was set in a location reminiscent of China. I'm pretty sure there was a fast travel function where you rode on the back of a dragon.

melon man
Aug 24, 2008

melonman-chan~!
Does anybody remember a PC game where you play a goblin or an orc or something, and you go around in a red dungeon and fight bugs and stuff? It was a top-down view and it was turn-based.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Morpheus posted:

My sister sent me this email:

"What was that old game we played [around 1996-2000]? Ok so it was one of those games kind of like myst where you can't see yourself. There was a city under a glass dome that I never got into. You could use magic and there were no dungeons or really enemies that I remember."

When I asked if it was Death Gate, she responded with:

"It didn't have inventory. And i don't think it was point and click the same way monkey island was"

Seems like the 'glass city' is the only notable thing she remembers.

Edit: I think it may have been partial typing. Like 'throw fireball' sort of game. And it's like just where you don't see you, or an inventory or anything.

Maybe Chaos?
Probably not, on second reading.

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 3, 2012

ViolentQuiche
Jul 17, 2010

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

For quite a while I've been wondering about a game I remember very vaguely. It was an action game, sort of Zelda-ish, probably either for the N64 or the Playstation (or at least from that era). It was set in a location reminiscent of China. I'm pretty sure there was a fast travel function where you rode on the back of a dragon.

Panzer Dragoon?

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ViolentQuiche posted:

Panzer Dragoon?

No, that's not it. Only the fast travel cutscene part was on the back of a dragon. The rest of the game you were running around on foot.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

No, that's not it. Only the fast travel cutscene part was on the back of a dragon. The rest of the game you were running around on foot.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Can anyone tell me the name of a game in which you build stuff Warcraft style and you have pumpkins as a resource(i think) and it's apparently post-apoc-steampunk'ish.

It begins with a guy sitting on a bear on the intro screen.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Koorisch posted:

Can anyone tell me the name of a game in which you build stuff Warcraft style and you have pumpkins as a resource(i think) and it's apparently post-apoc-steampunk'ish.

It begins with a guy sitting on a bear on the intro screen.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Lord Chumley posted:

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

That's it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

dads_work_files posted: