Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Noise Machine posted:

If you're gonna be doing ANY recording outside at all you owe it to yourself to get a really nice windscreen. https://www.redheadwindscreens.com

I've yet to test it out but the H2 actually comes with one (sitting next to it in the picture).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Noise Machine posted:

If you're gonna be doing ANY recording outside at all you owe it to yourself to get a really nice windscreen. https://www.redheadwindscreens.com

I'm pretty sure they come with one.

e,fb

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

slapsack posted:

Finally got my hands on one of these sucka's:

It's a Chapman Stick. Here's what it sounds like if anyone gives a rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-3phddDWw

Be nice, it's my first song :)

God, I absolutely love a Chapman Stick. Someday I will consider myself good enough at guitar and bass to abandon them both in favor of a Stick, which I will no doubt suck at. Sounds really great, you did a nice job with that, and a great choice of instrument. :)

I've been in the market for a 5-string bass for a little over a month now. Originally, I bought one from Rondo, which was really sexy, but the construction was shoddy, and made it nigh unplayable, so I returned it. This week, my mission finally came to a conclusion when I picked up one of these:

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. Nicest bass I've ever played, and well worth spending a bit more than I originally intended to. Love this instrument. Haven't been able to take any decent photos of it yet, though, so there's a lame stock one for reference. I'm going to have to make some minor adjustments (volume pot is a little loose, so I need to tighten the nut on it, and do some bridge tweaks, and swap the strings,) but I am very happy with this purchase.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

slardel posted:

I've yet to test it out but the H2 actually comes with one (sitting next to it in the picture).

Right, but the Redhead Windscreens are REALLY nice: http://vimeo.com/6321934

The built in one would have clipped like crazy and then flown off in that scenario.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Boss DR 202 and SP 202, drum machine and sampler. It's like having Reason 2.5 sat on my desk!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I can't pass up a guitar I see at a thrift store no matter how dirty and abused it looks.
This was priced at $25 which since everything works fine I thought was a good price.
The dirty before pic didn't show how grungy it was this is the after.
The middle pick-up wasn't working at first, but I took it apart to clean it completely and when I put it all back together it magically worked again.:iiam:
Did a quick fret-level and re-crown while I had it all apart the first positions had some pretty good dents in the frets

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011
Was in the market for a compressor, stumbled upon this in a shop. I remembered EJ using one so I gave it a try and was blown away enough to buy it on the spot!

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
This is a thing.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.
Not trying to spam the thread, but anyone looking for a deal on any new gear (or used), I manage a Sam Ash and we're doing a one day 15% off sale on most brands today (Apple, Buffet, Gemeinhardt, and a few others are excluded) over $400.

Send me an email at jeff.galperin@samashmusic.com with what you want and I'll give you a price. We also got a ton of used and vintage stuff too. We have a Gibson L5, some cool PRS's, a nice bass clarinet, some vintage Selmer horns, DJ, PA equipment, you name it.

We also have a 7 String fretted eletric violin by Mark Wood if anyone is into avant guard orchestral music. (Anyone?)

This is where I get the nice things that I occasionally post in the thread

The Grapist fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 29, 2012

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I just paid for this:

Hardware had been replaced by the 2nd to last owner. I think they like ESP MX's a little. Should be here soon.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

RetardedRobots posted:

This is a thing.

This is a classy thing, tortoise shell on black is very nice.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Just bought one of these this weekend.

It sounds so great, but I probably have to pull out two output tubes to make it more manageable. Still, it's pretty cool.

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011

Boz0r posted:

Just bought one of these this weekend.

It sounds so great, but I probably have to pull out two output tubes to make it more manageable. Still, it's pretty cool.

As much as I've loved playing around with the JVM's, something about them seemed off to me and I've been holding out until I see the Satriani signature one and give that a whirl.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I prefer the TSL's myself

Mister Clancy
Feb 18, 2007

5 Bux
Babby's first Hartke.

A B-90 i bought off a friend who runs a music store with $80 i got from my buddy.
For a long time I've been playing through a cheapo piano store brand bass amp and
this is what I've been missing, it makes my bass sound amazing.

My favorite knob:

It sweeps the sound and makes it go from smooth and bassy (all the way to the right)
to growly and trebly (all the way to the left) so there's a wide range of sounds
in between to play with.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My 88 key master keyboard had a babby.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrLonghair posted:

My 88 key master keyboard had a babby.

How does the nanokey 2 feel? I have a nanokey 1 that was honestly atrocious to play, except in the most dire situations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Manky posted:

How does the nanokey 2 feel? I have a nanokey 1 that was honestly atrocious to play, except in the most dire situations.

I liked the cliclet keyboard feel of mk1 but not the durability or the sensation that it was going to lose a key at any moment. This is less like a laptop and the keys require less push to trigger (than a laptop), it's going to take a while to get used to the size and to not slide my big huge fingers around and overshoot notes. The velocity curve default definitely needs an adjustment (Korg's got an editor for that) and I really wish the keys were full width.

But as a über-compact short-travel two-octave keyboard (right now controlling a TG77 through midi-OX) it's a good deal. You can spend more and get far worse, and when it comes to non-fullsize controllers this is the only layout that works for large hands and fingers.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'll have to try to find one in a store to play around with. I loved the convenience of my original nanokey, but after one of the keys did pop off, and now has to be held partially in place by scotch tape...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

After a few more hours with it I think that you won't pop any keys off this one unless you twist and turn it with great force, glissando until the end of days.

I'm definitely going to use this for live performances. Just gotta get used to the width and new positioning. Maybe look into modifying it to become backlit.

e: May take a while to get used to the feel of the keys. Didn't actually own an mk1 of the Nanokey, just had maybe a few minutes at the shop years ago, but it takes a while. Sit down and just practice. I now love the thing, and I've learnt to play it, but I need to keep my eyes on it still. But so good. So small. I'd buy a three octave because that's ordinarily my minimum, if they made it full width. Gonna have a talk with Korg, maybe something's to come out for this summers conventions.

The best thing is that it doesn't tire my sick (fibrositis) self out at all. As much as I love my heavy 88, it tires me out. I'm not tickling those ivories when I play, I'm making love to them with my hands. Hot brutal scandinavian surprise-love.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 3, 2012

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
That would be sick, definitely post some photos if you do.

I sort of weirdly wish that they built it modularly, so you could add additional octaves just by plugging it into a microusb port on peripheral itself. Like sell extra one octave additions. I mean, you could just get another and transpose it up, but it would be cool if it were built to have it daisychained together so you didn't repeat all the controls and take up another usb port.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Manky posted:

That would be sick, definitely post some photos if you do.

I sort of weirdly wish that they built it modularly, so you could add additional octaves just by plugging it into a microusb port on peripheral itself. Like sell extra one octave additions. I mean, you could just get another and transpose it up, but it would be cool if it were built to have it daisychained together so you didn't repeat all the controls and take up another usb port.

Also it would be cool if there was a choice of modules, such as pads, knobs, sliders... build your own performance controller!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Frank Caskelot posted:

fappenmeister posted:

One of these.

I watched the video you posted and decided I need one as well. Placed the order mere moments ago and now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it would make it here in time for the beginning of our studio stint.

This arrived today. Too bad I've just come down with a cold and don't feel like taking the trip to our rehearsal space to properly try it out.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Frank Caskelot posted:

This arrived today. Too bad I've just come down with a cold and don't feel like taking the trip to our rehearsal space to properly try it out.

That's so metal.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

That's so metal.

I know, catching a cold when it finally stops being all grim and frostbitten outside.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I came home from work Wednesday to find a package on my doorstep. What came inside?

Eventide Space Reverb

This thing is insane. Coming from a Boss RV-5 I am just extremely overwhelmed at the options this pedal offers. I got this to compliment the Timeline I ordered (which I heard should be here next tuesday!)

I find I really like the Hall and Blackhole algorithms, and I'm trying to mess around the Shimmer as it sounds pretty.

This pedal is pretty intuitive despite how deep it can go. I really like the layout of the knobs.

My first preset, a blackhole one that has a darker, longer decay. So good!

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Hell yes, I got a Space Reverb a few months ago. Unfortunately, I've been too busy with school/applying to graduate school to play as much as I'd like to but seriously, I could lose entire days in what this pedal offers. I fuckin LOVE the 'Shimmer' algorithm so very much. But the options with this thing are endless.

Also, the most expensive pedal I own.

Be curious as to what your take on the Timeline is when you get it, delay is my favorite effect but I already have three pedals for that so I can't justify buying that pricey monster...yet.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

forever whatever posted:

Hell yes, I got a Space Reverb a few months ago. Unfortunately, I've been too busy with school/applying to graduate school to play as much as I'd like to but seriously, I could lose entire days in what this pedal offers. I fuckin LOVE the 'Shimmer' algorithm so very much. But the options with this thing are endless.

Also, the most expensive pedal I own.

Be curious as to what your take on the Timeline is when you get it, delay is my favorite effect but I already have three pedals for that so I can't justify buying that pricey monster...yet.

Yeah, I'm trying to get the hang of it so far. I made a small track showing the custom preset I used, and then it goes into the stock Shimmer preset.

I've already lost about 2 solid days into it, and I'm going to lose more. I currently have no delay pedals as I sold them to get both this and the timeline, and I might actually be set on both. Maybe get another small delay though, you never know. Pedals are an addiction. I'll definitely post up my thoughts on the Timeline sometime next week.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

(Not my one, but same model)

My new mastersound. I've always loved matons. I used to own a phil manning special before my crackhead brother stole it and sold if for dope, and I still pine for that guitar. The fact they are rare as hens teeth and widely considered the best australian guitar ever made, and thus sell for $7K+ if you ever do manage to find one, doesn't help.

So I did the second best thing. I got a Maton mastersound. Hey , if its good enough for George harison its good enough for me. It has that indefinable "maton" thing, really easy to play if slightly heavy, and warm as gently caress tone.

Aquired a Fender jazz 5 string recently. Oddly I still find myself using my crusty old Ibanez bass more often, force of habit really.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

slapsack posted:

Finally got my hands on one of these sucka's:

It's a Chapman Stick. Here's what it sounds like if anyone gives a rip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM-3phddDWw

Be nice, it's my first song :)

Holy crap dude. Thats some of the best youtube chapman stickery I've seen. Your really good dude. Keep us up to date with your progress as you master this thing.

Also cheap easy money: Take this thing busking, theres a guy in my hometown who takes these out with a delay pedal and chorus, and plays similarish stuff to this, and on a good night, he can pull a hundred bucks an hour.

The strangeness of the instrument (A dulcimer will get similar attention too) combined with a genuinely pretty sound, guarantees rubberneckers will be stuffing cash into your hat.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Should be coming in tomorrow. Soooo excited to try it out at practice on Sunday :)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Crosspostin from home recording megathread cos Saturday is getting closer and no ones been able to answer this for me yet:

nrr posted:

So I'm on holiday in Maui for a couple of weeks and wandering around the local markets I found a guy selling SM57 and SM58's for $75 each. So I was thinking of going back next week and picking one up, all I'm worried about is if they're lovely quality fakes. Has anyone heard about these mics being faked before and if so, are there any telltale signs that I can look for that will guarantee I'm getting an authentic mic, or a cheapo rip off?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thorpe posted:

I came home from work Wednesday to find a package on my doorstep. What came inside?

My first preset, a blackhole one that has a darker, longer decay. So good!

The space looks like a great pedal, but that is some cheesy as hell box art, all I see is:

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

nrr posted:

Crosspostin from home recording megathread cos Saturday is getting closer and no ones been able to answer this for me yet:

Counterfeit 57s and 58s seem to be pretty common, at least on ebay, etc.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2139144-How-to-spot-a-fake-Shure-SM58

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Frank Caskelot posted:

If you play an E chord with this set right it'll probably knock the cold out of your system.

I got my Explorer and JVM410H today. Happy days.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

nrr posted:

I would also say that nothing is going to be less expensive in Hawaii than on the mainland. If anything most everything is at least 15% more. I would be highly dubious that these are going to be real.

Edit: That link The Bunk posted is really funny, so many in there have fake mics and they didn't know it until the OP told them how to spot them. I guess the lesson is, deals that are too good to be true really are too good to be true.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 4, 2012

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dissin department posted:

Should be coming in tomorrow. Soooo excited to try it out at practice on Sunday :)

Prepare to never turn it off. I literally never play without it on.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Prepare to never turn it off. I literally never play without it on.

Yeah, I honestly don't know how I ever lived without it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Just preordered one of these from Sweetwater:

I was really impressed with a bandmate's G3, but wasn't sure that three effect slots would be enough. The G5 lets you run 9 effects in your chain (4 visible/toggle-able with the footswitches), plus has the expression pedal built right in, which would have cost me an extra $60 anyway.

They're due in June 1st, so I should be one of the first kids on the block with one. I'll post a review or something once it's actually plugged in and in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Just got this sickness, for free to boot! I downloaded the manual and am slowly slogging through it, but it's tough going. Technical documents are always a lot more confusing than a person showing me. I like the teacher-student dynamic that even just videos offer. That said, anyone know of a good one or a few? Or own this and want to show me some cool things? Just going through his old presets, it can make some pretty sick sounds.

Also, I bought the Korg Legacy Special Bundle and can't seem to figure out how to MIDI map the knobs in say, the MonoPoly or Polysix, to the ones on my controller. In Ableton I recall reading that any plugin can be MIDI-mapped, and I've been able to do it successfully in iZotope Stutter Edit and Native's Massive, so I assume it can be done.