Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

alwayslost posted:

I've paid next to no attention to the evolution of smartphones, but I've decided I am finally going to get one. However, I'm told if I want to avoid the 2 year contract and be able to get a discounted upgrade in 6 months to a year (when hopefully quad-core smartphones will be pretty common), I should buy something outright on eBay. I'm looking at the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch, or the Galaxy Nexus. The SII is significantly cheaper. Is there much difference between the two? Hardware-wise they look pretty close.

I have had nothing but problems buying phones off of ebay. 90% of the phones either have bad esn numbers, are tied to delinquent contracts, or in lovely condition. The descriptions will say the phone is 100% clean and in great condition, but you will usually get a pile of crap in the mail wrapped in a paper towel with earwax wedged into the earpiece.

Trust me, get one from SA Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Jensen posted:

I am loving the GNex, but the battery life doesn't seem that great. I'm a developer and am quite familiar with wake locks and such - and this isn't a problem with an app.

I'm sort of wondering if the CDMA radios are just inefficient compared to the GSM version - judging from what I'm hearing of battery life from that camp. My EVO 3D seemed to have better battery life.

Anecdata battery life aside - I will say that this phone seems to work much better than the EVO 3D when it comes to calls and text messages. Does anyone with that phone have an issue where sometimes your phone never rings when someone calls it - or it takes like 5-6 rings before your phone will start ringing? Also, text messages would sometimes come in really lately... or sometimes just a few minutes late (which is annoying when you are meeting someone?)

My friends and I with the E3D all thought this was a Sprint problem. But I've done quite a bit of testing with the GNex and it doesn't seem to have any of these problems. It rings quickly, it gets texts very quickly, etc. It's still too early to say anything - but I'd be interested in feedback from anyone else.

For what it's worth, I have an evo 3D and I've been having all sorts of problems with text messages getting delayed lately. I was leaning towards thinking that it was a sprint problem though since one of my coworkers with a HTC Hero (poor guy) is having similar problems.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

alwayslost posted:

I've paid next to no attention to the evolution of smartphones, but I've decided I am finally going to get one. However, I'm told if I want to avoid the 2 year contract and be able to get a discounted upgrade in 6 months to a year (when hopefully quad-core smartphones will be pretty common), I should buy something outright on eBay. I'm looking at the Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch, or the Galaxy Nexus. The SII is significantly cheaper. Is there much difference between the two? Hardware-wise they look pretty close.
You won't be able to avoid the 2yr contract.

The difference is mostly software. One is a Samsung phone, so you never know if/when its bugs will be fixed or OS upgrades will come (there's no ICS for it right now). The other is a Google Phone, which gets relatively timely updates and comes with ICS already.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
I liked the 3D when I had it, I just thought it needed a bottom or top charging port and a kick stand. Oh also an easier way to unlock it, but that may have changed.

They seemed to have fixed one with the new Evo but not the other

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

You won't be able to avoid the 2yr contract.
Sure he can, unless he's new to sprint, rather than coming from a dumbphone. (He didn't specify, but it seems like the latter.) In either, case, though, buying secondhand means he'll still have an upgrade available.

RagingHematoma posted:

I have had nothing but problems buying phones off of ebay. 90% of the phones either have bad esn numbers, are tied to delinquent contracts...
You bought used phones without checking the esns?

My last two phones have been ebayed and craigslisted, with no problems whatsoever. Just play smart.

alwayslost
May 17, 2007
and never found

WoG posted:

Sure he can, unless he's new to sprint, rather than coming from a dumbphone. (He didn't specify, but it seems like the latter.) In either, case, though, buying secondhand means he'll still have an upgrade available.
You bought used phones without checking the esns?

My last two phones have been ebayed and craigslisted, with no problems whatsoever. Just play smart.

I'm not currently a Sprint customer, is it not possible to start an account with them without a contract after buying a phone so I can get a discounted upgrade in 6-12 months?

And I planned to buy a brand new phone, from a seller with a good rating. I guess if I can't get away with no contract though I'll just go with the Galaxy Nexus for $200 on Sprint's website.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

alwayslost posted:

I guess if I can't get away with no contract though I'll just go with the Galaxy Nexus for $200 on Sprint's website.

Best Option.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

alwayslost posted:

I'm not currently a Sprint customer, is it not possible to start an account with them without a contract after buying a phone so I can get a discounted upgrade in 6-12 months?

And I planned to buy a brand new phone, from a seller with a good rating. I guess if I can't get away with no contract though I'll just go with the Galaxy Nexus for $200 on Sprint's website.

I'm pretty sure you can start a contract without buying a phone through Sprint so that you don't use your New Service discount.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
So is there something that I missed about the Evo LTE that is causing everyone to run out for the Nexus instead of waiting?

The negatives I can think of are based on preference really.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

St. Blaize posted:

So is there something that I missed about the Evo LTE that is causing everyone to run out for the Nexus instead of waiting?

I am not sure if there are many negatives in regards to an Evo. Purity of the Nexus I think is the driving force behind the purchase. I think I would prefer an Evo over a nexus as I don't like soft buttons. And plus the thread is probably dominated by people in the here and now, which the nexus just launched. Check back in a month and it should be different.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

St. Blaize posted:

For me the main reasons I am probably not going to get an Evo LTE are because:

1. I am completely enamored with SAMOLED screens. I know that the Evo LTE has a good screen but I burn with envy every time I see the screen of an SGSII or Galaxy Nexus. This is a feature that will be 100% required in whatever ends up being my next phone.

2. It is ugly as sin (admittedly this is 100% subjective so YMMV)

3. Sense, I honestly didn't mind it for Gingerbread and earlier versions of android but it needs to go away completely. Granted, it's minimal compared to the version of sense that is supposedly being pushed to other devices that will be updated to ICS but there are still completely unnecessary changes such as the changing of how the screen that lets you switch between programs works.

4. HTC, this is related to number three but because they insist on sticking to sense they are stuck in a no win situation. If they do updates in a "timely" fashion they are stuck with a fiasco like last year's gingerbread update for the shift (and for the Evo 4G to a lesser degree). But if they take the time to get it right then we are stuck with basically none of their devices getting timely updates (which is what owners of HTC devices are stuck with now). Either way their insistence of crapping up android with sense makes their devices less desirable to me.

5. This is also pretty nitpicky but I really want to try a device without capacitive buttons such as the galaxy nexus or the rumored SGSIII.

6. As a current owner of an Evo 3D that just got EOL'd after less than a year on the market I am just a little down on HTC in general.

With all of that said though I'll be the first to admit that it looks like it has the best camera on an android device and I did really like the kickstand on my Evo 4G. So if none of those things matter to you then it's probably not a bad phone at all.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
:nm

Leopold N. Loeb fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 28, 2013

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

St. Blaize posted:

I'm excited about the hardware camera button, the kickstand, and the superior camera. I think SAMOLED screens look too colorful/oversaturated.

The opposite of everyone here, basically.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm pretty sure you can start a contract without buying a phone through Sprint so that you don't use your New Service discount.

As a new customer, you sign a contract either way, if you bring your own phone you retain upgrade eligibility. That's all. Now the the galaxy nexus is out, in almost every case the answer is either get an iPhone or get a galaxy nexus.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Is there a free photo gallery app that displays all of my pictures in one directory by default? The stock app is pretty annoying.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

ehonna_disco posted:

I'm excited about the hardware camera button, the kickstand, and the superior camera. I think SAMOLED screens look too colorful/oversaturated.

The opposite of everyone here, basically.

Am I a bad person for liking Sense? :(

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Krime posted:

Am I a bad person for liking Sense? :(

Nah, I kinda like Sense myself (EVO 3D). I have ICS on my Touchpad in the form of CM9, I don't get the love for the stock UI it's just a low-rent version of WebOS.

Cuddly Dan
Jul 6, 2005
Hugs are kewl! <3

St. Blaize posted:

I'm waiting for the Evo LTE. My smartphone history is all HTC (Mogul, TouchPro, and Evo 4G), and I've always appreciated their UI changes. While I have found HTC to be slow with updating, the way I use my phones (casually) means that the upgrade timeline doesn't bother me, and the updates I have installed have been very good with few exceptions.

The Nexus looks like it's great, but I'm still in love with my Evo and the LTE seems like a fantastic phone, so I want to stay on that upgrade path. I'm currently very excited to place my preorder for the LTE.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Is there any reason not to use Wirefly to order new phones? They have the G-Nex for $150 and I want to know if it's worth saving $50 by using them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is there any reason not to use Wirefly to order new phones? They have the G-Nex for $150 and I want to know if it's worth saving $50 by using them.

I personally consider the company scum, but that's a personal opinion. As long as you plan to have the phone for 6 months you are fine.

At least check amazon, if amazon has the same price they are just way friendlier than wirefly.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

I personally consider the company scum, but that's a personal opinion. As long as you plan to have the phone for 6 months you are fine.

At least check amazon, if amazon has the same price they are just way friendlier than wirefly.

I have done a little more research and I am seeing more complaints about their practices than I am praises, so I think I will just go to Bestbuy or Sprint on my lunch break since $200 seems to be the price everyone else has it for right now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have done a little more research and I am seeing more complaints about their practices than I am praises, so I think I will just go to Bestbuy or Sprint on my lunch break since $200 seems to be the price everyone else has it for right now.

If its the same price go to sprint, best buy isn't known for intelligence either :)

Call retentions first and see if they will waive your upgrade fee. They did for me.

I got my girlfriends galaxy nexus in, and holy poo poo am I jealous. Phone seems to be the perfect size. Goddamn I need one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Blakkout posted:

Is there a free photo gallery app that displays all of my pictures in one directory by default? The stock app is pretty annoying.

You'd get a better response asking in the Android App Thread.

Unless you have something other an Android...since, like 95% of talk here in about Android I just assumed. Somewhere there's an iPhone thread (or two or three) and a Blackberry thread, and probably a WinMo thread.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?
I would just like to state how jealous I am of all you Galaxy Nexus owners.

I'm stuck with this EVO 3D for another year, and I really hate the lack of development community support around it, plus it's recent EOLing makes me thing ICS is really far off, if ever.

I wish I could buy out my contract, but every time I ask sprint about that, they say no such thing exists, and I can go buy the phone for $550. Based on the numbers I heard about the buyout program, I could buyout for $125, then get the phone at the upgrade price of $200.

Also... I missed getting qualified for Premier Gold by one month, before it ended. :bang:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm reading about cases for the Galaxy Nexus, and apparently there are two separate Galaxy Nexuses. One that's thinner than the other or something? Which one is the Sprint one? I don't want to order the wrong case.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I think the thicker cases are when you have an extended life battery in. Otherwise, it's really thin.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^Nah, the cdma versions of phones are often a tiny bit thicker.

Basic Beater posted:

I'm reading about cases for the Galaxy Nexus, and apparently there are two separate Galaxy Nexuses. One that's thinner than the other or something? Which one is the Sprint one? I don't want to order the wrong case.

Definitely the thicker one--

wikipedia:
135.5 mm (5.33 in) H
67.94 mm (2.675 in) W
8.94 mm (0.352 in) D / 9.47 mm (0.373 in) D (LTE)

sprint.com: 5.3” x 2.7” x .37”

It's so marginal a difference, though, I doubt it would even matter for cases that aren't metal.

WoG fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 26, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the Galaxy Nexus is not available for employees yet. But I could cancel my personal line for $165, re-add my line and get one for $199 with a $50 credit on my account. I have a Nexus S i could then sell.

So frickin tempting. My main beef is my ETF would then be $350.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

So the Galaxy Nexus is not available for employees yet. But I could cancel my personal line for $165, re-add my line and get one for $199 with a $50 credit on my account. I have a Nexus S i could then sell.

So frickin tempting. My main beef is my ETF would then be $350.

I'm strongly considering buying out my contract.

Problem is I renewed it 10 months ago, so I'm 10 months into contract. I believe this would make it essentially a wash versus buying the GNex off contract. Correct?

e:

St. Blaize posted:

After having a Nexus S on ICS for a while now, I can say it's probably how much of a loving beautiful OS Android is with ICS. Sense was preferable to the older versions, but now it's Sense which looks like dirty rear end compared to ICS. The only think I can possibly say falls short is the way Folders look as icons, because it just makes a textured hole and throws all the icons in it. It clashes with the relatively spartan look of the rest of ICS.

Oh yeah and it means there won't be any meaningful design differences between updates due to Sense, if they come at all. I can't really do justice to the amount of loading all that extra poo poo places on the hardware. I haven't even used either the GN or the Evo LTE and I can say with confidence the GN is a match if not better in the speed and smoothness of operation. My NS4G is buttery compared to the just-barely-making-it nature of my 3D (for sale now, check S-Mart) and it has hardware on par with the EPIC 4G. The slider one, not the GSII.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 26, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Hoppy posted:

I would just like to state how jealous I am of all you Galaxy Nexus owners.

I'm stuck with this EVO 3D for another year, and I really hate the lack of development community support around it, plus it's recent EOLing makes me thing ICS is really far off, if ever.

I wish I could buy out my contract, but every time I ask sprint about that, they say no such thing exists, and I can go buy the phone for $550. Based on the numbers I heard about the buyout program, I could buyout for $125, then get the phone at the upgrade price of $200.

Also... I missed getting qualified for Premier Gold by one month, before it ended. :bang:

Which is weird because that is exactly what I did to get my Galaxy Nexus.. bought out my contract, waited 6 hours or so for it to take effect, then pre ordered on Sprint's website.

P.S. The GNex is loving awesome. If you are the type of person that cares about the 'details' when it comes to your tech this is a good buy. It fixes all the little "why the gently caress did they change that? (sense)" or "why didn't they just make this an option..." type of annoyances you've come to expect from your Android Smartphone (TM).

The vast majority of the way this OS works now that I'm on stock ICS, coming from an EVO 3D and then EVO 4G before that, is exactly how I would have done it. It's smart, it's fast, it's stable - at least on 4.0.4 that we are on. The granular view of your data usage, for example, is extremely easy to use and very informative. On the EVO, Android was great - but it had all these little WTFs scattered over it. Like why do I have to have a persistent GPS crosshair icon in my status bar? I always leave it on, so it's completely uninformative and a waste of space.

Most of that sort of poo poo is fixed.

All that being said, I'm a developer and a naturally picky person so there are a few things I can complain about :

1. I miss T9 dialing that the HTC phones have.

2. I miss being able to set times when exchange email would and would not sync in the sense email app.

3. There is a tiny delay when you hit the Power button on the GNex until when the screen lights up. They should get rid of this.

4. One thing that stands out as still poorly implemented in Android is the way vibrate and ring settings are done. There is a "master switch" in the general sound settings menu that overrides the vibrate settings in the phone app. This is counter intuitive and confusing - even to me as a power user.

5. The phone is too big. It just is. I keep missing the notification bar pull down swipe because my thumb is barely grazing it when I try and do it one handed.

6. Battery life is worse than the EVO 3D. I don't think this is the OS though, I've been doing a fair amount of testing in this area. I think it's the SoC and/or radios in the phone.

Off to burger king to try my google wallet.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Jensen posted:

1. I miss T9 dialing that the HTC phones have.

You can fix this pretty easily by just downloading a new dialer off the market. Dialer One is a good one I've used before.

Jensen posted:

6. Battery life is worse than the EVO 3D. I don't think this is the OS though, I've been doing a fair amount of testing in this area. I think it's the SoC and/or radios in the phone.

My battery life seems to be slightly better than my OG Evo, but I'm not sure if part of the reason for that is that the battery was almost 2 years old in my old phone. That being said, I'm not having any problems getting my phone to last through an entire workday (14+ hours) with Juice Defender installed.

Jensen posted:

Off to burger king to try my google wallet.

I had a hard time getting it to work the first time I tried, and the teller was just looking at me like I was crazy. The second time, I slowly and physically tapped the phone on the paypass thing, and it worked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

traslin posted:

I had a hard time getting it to work the first time I tried, and the teller was just looking at me like I was crazy. The second time, I slowly and physically tapped the phone on the paypass thing, and it worked.

At work all our vending machines have card acceptors/NFC acceptors and I second the tapping.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

traslin posted:

You can fix this pretty easily by just downloading a new dialer off the market. Dialer One is a good one I've used before.
I'm always worried that one of these fancy custom dialers won't be able to dial 911.

Hoppy
Oct 20, 2004

Who do you think taught him to jump like that?

Jensen posted:

Which is weird because that is exactly what I did to get my Galaxy Nexus.. bought out my contract, waited 6 hours or so for it to take effect, then pre ordered on Sprint's website.

How? The store (corporate) had no clue what I was talking about, and when I called customer service they had no clue.

I'm guessing you talked to someone on the phone, but what team/department?

Also, is the buyout something you pay immediately, or they bill you for it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I'm strongly considering buying out my contract.

Problem is I renewed it 10 months ago, so I'm 10 months into contract. I believe this would make it essentially a wash versus buying the GNex off contract. Correct?

e:

After having a Nexus S on ICS for a while now, I can say it's probably how much of a loving beautiful OS Android is with ICS. Sense was preferable to the older versions, but now it's Sense which looks like dirty rear end compared to ICS. The only think I can possibly say falls short is the way Folders look as icons, because it just makes a textured hole and throws all the icons in it. It clashes with the relatively spartan look of the rest of ICS.

Oh yeah and it means there won't be any meaningful design differences between updates due to Sense, if they come at all. I can't really do justice to the amount of loading all that extra poo poo places on the hardware. I haven't even used either the GN or the Evo LTE and I can say with confidence the GN is a match if not better in the speed and smoothness of operation. My NS4G is buttery compared to the just-barely-making-it nature of my 3D (for sale now, check S-Mart) and it has hardware on par with the EPIC 4G. The slider one, not the GSII.

I got my old job to get me a galaxy nexus with this procedure $75 off, so that seals it for me. I'm ordering it tomorrow, will have it by next week.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

td4guy posted:

I'm always worried that one of these fancy custom dialers won't be able to dial 911.
Why would they be able to dial any number but 911?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Hoppy posted:

How? The store (corporate) had no clue what I was talking about, and when I called customer service they had no clue.

I'm guessing you talked to someone on the phone, but what team/department?

Also, is the buyout something you pay immediately, or they bill you for it?
Retentions. Talk to retentions if your corporate store isn't familiar with the buyout procedures.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Why would they be able to dial any number but 911?
Because 911 is a 3-digit emergency number that puts the phone into a special emergency dialing mode. Some custom dialers (see comments) can't handle this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

I got my old job to get me a galaxy nexus with this procedure $75 off, so that seals it for me. I'm ordering it tomorrow, will have it by next week.

Yeah, I don't know how much it'll cost me though. If I renewed in June of 11, would I have the big honkin' $350 ETF? Or am I grandfathered in to the old fee?

If it's a 350 ETF then I might as well buy it new because its 550 new. If the ETF is anything under 350 then I would be better off trying to buy out.

e: gently caress me with a rusty spade. Sprint had a trial program where I could buy this bitch out for $165 (!!!!!!!) but it ended on 4/14.

Now I can't find anything on google regarding doing it after that date because it's flooded with the old news on that. The website says 338 days left until my upgrade. April 1 :dance:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 27, 2012

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Is it possible/a good idea to buy out my contract if I'm on EPRP? I'd love to get a Galaxy Nexus, I'm about 18 months into a contract with an LG Optimus S. I'm waffling between waiting it out until the contract ends or biting the bullet soon for the GalNex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Hell yeah, do it.