Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Oh so THAT'S what that rule is called.
I had a friend teaching me to play, and we did a scenario with that rule, he just didn't tell me that's what it was called.
Makes sense. Thanks.

[edit: that is a horrible top of page, enjoy this break dancing deathjack.]

Manifest fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
That is a badass Deathjack.

And, with my tax return, I'm buying into Cryx :v: I've got Deathjack, Nightmare, full Banes with Tartarus, and a Pistol Wraith all painted that I got off Bartertown for cheap, and I'm also ordering the battlebox, pSkarre, the faction book, the Skarlock, and the Banes UA. Decent starting point?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Manifest posted:

Well gently caress, that is pretty loving awesome. How hard was that to put together?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Killbox also means every non 16+ arm non stealth caster gets snipe feat goed!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Tanon posted:

That is a badass Deathjack.

And, with my tax return, I'm buying into Cryx :v: I've got Deathjack, Nightmare, full Banes with Tartarus, and a Pistol Wraith all painted that I got off Bartertown for cheap, and I'm also ordering the battlebox, pSkarre, the faction book, the Skarlock, and the Banes UA. Decent starting point?

Yep. Add a warwitch and thats a fine start. You will need more infanftry for skarre1, eventually

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
The Cryx Battlebox comes with pDenny, a Slayer, 2 Deathrippers and a Defiler, right?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

crime fighting hog posted:

The Cryx Battlebox comes with pDenny, a Slayer, 2 Deathrippers and a Defiler, right?

Yep

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

PaintVagrant posted:

Yep. Add a warwitch and thats a fine start. You will need more infanftry for skarre1, eventually

Yeah. My next purchases are full Raiders with UA and captain, full mcthralls with surgeons, and eSkarre. Hmm. Why is Cryx infantry so loving good?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tanon posted:

Yeah. My next purchases are full Raiders with UA and captain, full mcthralls with surgeons, and eSkarre. Hmm. Why is Cryx infantry so loving good?

Because the lead designer plays Cryx as his main faction.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
My piggies are here!

And Jason Soles plays Menoth now. All those guys swap factions constantly.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

S.J. posted:

Yep

Rad, just Stryker left to paint and I have my two battleboxes done to being a Pressganger!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

S.J. posted:

Because the lead designer plays Cryx as his main faction.

Hey, they arent any better than skorne infantry though

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Hey, they arent any better than skorne infantry though

I see you are still missing my point entirely :colbert:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
#tinypewtermen is on synirc, right? Couldn't seem to find it when I was looking earlier this week.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Chenghiz posted:

#tinypewtermen is on synirc, right? Couldn't seem to find it when I was looking earlier this week.

Yes. Come in and say hello!

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
Cross posting from the oath thread:

Siege:

Rhadeim:

I meant to post the rest of my Skorne here too. Soon

e: also, if anyone has any tips for spicing up the desert bases I'm all ears. I'd like something simple, but so far every paint I've tried is either way too yellow or brown.

Mt. ORourke fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 26, 2012

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Siege looks awesome. He's the Mr. T of Cygnar.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Verdugo posted:

Siege looks awesome. He's the Mr. T of Cygnar.

He's more like Patton, I think. But that guy looks awesome. But I don't see either one of them in the oath thread--perhaps you are in some sort of general-purpose sucker thread? (Keep oathing there but come to the Warmahordes one, too!)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Flipswitch posted:

Well gently caress, that is pretty loving awesome. How hard was that to put together?

I didn't do it, I found it on the pp forums, and thought he looked like he was breakin.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, I've been trying for ages to draw people at my FLGS to play warmachine, and I'm finally drubbing up enough interest to possibly run a tournament this summer. I was thinking 25 point Steamroller, 2 list optional, relaxed game time limits but no turn/round times. Is this just s terrible idea for a first tournament guaranteed to have a ton of new WMH (but not wargame) players?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tanon posted:

So, I've been trying for ages to draw people at my FLGS to play warmachine, and I'm finally drubbing up enough interest to possibly run a tournament this summer. I was thinking 25 point Steamroller, 2 list optional, relaxed game time limits but no turn/round times. Is this just s terrible idea for a first tournament guaranteed to have a ton of new WMH (but not wargame) players?

Be prepared to have people take 25 minute turns and really piss off the people they're playing against.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.

Tanon posted:

As someone who jumped right in and played a tournament after only two games with Menoth, I highly encourage you to put time limits on the turns. It was a harrowing experience, but ultimately worth it and I had a great time.

As a side note, gently caress Cryx forever. I don't know if I'm the only one, but goddammit I hate playing against Cryx.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

If you're going to relax total game time limits anyway, maybe do deathclock with 40 minutes each? Keeps people moving, keeps rounds to 1.5 hours, and still provides plenty of time as long as you don't have to constantly pause to talk about rules? (Or allow total pauses for reading your opponent's cards on his turn, keep the 40 minutes, and plan for 2-hour rounds?)

Raiche
Oct 29, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

If you're going to relax total game time limits anyway, maybe do deathclock with 40 minutes each? Keeps people moving, keeps rounds to 1.5 hours, and still provides plenty of time as long as you don't have to constantly pause to talk about rules? (Or allow total pauses for reading your opponent's cards on his turn, keep the 40 minutes, and plan for 2-hour rounds?)

The mere presence of the clocks help. If people go over, you let them keep playing so no one gets unhappy. It doesn't sound like much, but in my experience the 45 minute turn people will use the clock to realize they are a 45 minute turn person and be shamed into playing.

E:

Oh, I forgot to add: gently caress Cryx forever.

Raiche fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 26, 2012

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Poop Delicatessen posted:

As a side note, gently caress Cryx forever. I don't know if I'm the only one, but goddammit I hate playing against Cryx.

You are most certainly not the only one, don't worry.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Tanon posted:

Use timed turns, but go 2 points values higher. So, for a 25pt tourney, run it with 50pt time limits. That's plenty of time for everything, but still keeps things moving.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Raiche posted:

The mere presence of the clocks help. If people go over, you let them keep playing so no one gets unhappy. It doesn't sound like much, but in my experience the 45 minute turn people will use the clock to realize they are a 45 minute turn person and be shamed into playing.

E:

Oh, I forgot to add: gently caress Cryx forever.

I've found a good way to counter Cryx is to play Cryx.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Oath thread cross-post:

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

crime fighting hog posted:

I've found a good way to counter Cryx is to play Cryx.

Frankly I'm just happy if at least once during a game session my Menoth army can cause the opposing player to curse out loud due to being denied something.

Always brings a smile to my face.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Frankly I'm just happy if at least once during a game session my Menoth army can cause the opposing player to curse out loud due to being denied something.

Always brings a smile to my face.

The Creator of Man feeds upon the shattered dreams of infidels.

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?

Paper Kaiju posted:

The Creator of Man feeds upon the shattered dreams of infidels.

And gives us a shitload of Blessed/magical weapons to work with.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Gay Polymers posted:

And gives us a shitload of Blessed/magical weapons to work with.

So does Scyrah, a fact that annoys the Menoth players in my meta to no end.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I have had more people bitch about Menoth combos then Cryx stupid assassinations. Everyone pretty much expects to die to some stupid assassination against Cryx. But they get all strange when they try to hit Vilmon and get told that they can't hurt him.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Washout posted:

I have had more people bitch about Menoth combos then Cryx stupid assassinations. Everyone pretty much expects to die to some stupid assassination against Cryx. But they get all strange when they try to hit Vilmon and get told that they can't hurt him.

Somebody actually uses Vilmon in Mk2? :raise:

Also when I win with my Cryx, it's rarely via assassination. Most of the time I either grind you down to nothing or get a scenario win with eDenny.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Vilmon is pretty solid with a few casters, yeah.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Speed 5, not being able to run and do his thing, combined with the proliferation of magic weapons/spellcasters and the loss of flying steel in mk2 makes him a shadow of his former self. :( Honestly for 3 points I'd rather go with Nicia (amazing) or the Knight Exemplar Seneschal.

I mean, I've pulled him out every once and a while for fun games but I wouldn't run him in a competitive list.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Vilmon was overpowered as gently caress in MkI though. Running in Impervious wall before the introduction of magical weapons was insane.

Vilmon + Harbinger makes a lot of Hordes cry. Magical weapons aren't that common and if he gets tagged with a spell or something she can just cut herself to save him. Advance in Impervious Wall to engage stuff and avoid the trap of charging in. You really don't want to take a free strike from him. Even his little paladin buddies pack a decent punch and they're great for holding zones. Fun with the Vessel of Judgment too for that extra move + attack when they do bite it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Yeah gently caress Vilmon and gently caress the Paladins and gently caress Harbinger. I started with a Skorne battlebox and the first thing my friend bought was Harbinger, Vilmon, and three Paladins. Uggh. Just uggh. I had to fight a Harby Tier 4, with no magical weapons in my army, for two weeks. Oh did I say no magical weapons? I meant no magical weapons except for a pair of POW 9 CLAWS. OH YEAH YOU'RE REAL HELPFUL MORGHOUL.

Then I got a pair of Extollers, put Magical Weapon, Abuse, Enrage, and Train Wreck on a Bronzeback, charged Vilmon, and proceeded to beat him back 5 inches (friend kept Vilmon alive, not realizing that a Bronzeback is Fury 5) and then put Harbinger into the dirt with a Pow 21 War Gauntlet to her smug loving face. God it felt so good.

I think the reason that people get mad about Menoth more than Cryx is that when someone does something to you, it's not so bad. At least you can still do your game, even if they just run up and kill you after. But against Menoth, you can't play your game. You have to play "Let's try to snipe the choir/vassal/book/some other loving thing" while all his poo poo runs around immune to everything fun that you can do. Especially when just starting out it's really aggravating since you don't have the models to do anything about it. Once you get some magic shooting it's all fine, but until then it's just an exercise in total frustration.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Arlaharen posted:

Vilmon was overpowered as gently caress in MkI though. Running in Impervious wall before the introduction of magical weapons was insane.

Oh yeah he was pretty ridiculous don't get me wrong, but like a lot of great mk1 stuff PP went way to far with the nerf bat. For example, just how often do you see Irdian Skirmishers anymore? (I've never seen them played once!)

Arlaharen posted:

Vilmon + Harbinger makes a lot of Hordes cry. Magical weapons aren't that common and if he gets tagged with a spell or something she can just cut herself to save him. Advance in Impervious Wall to engage stuff and avoid the trap of charging in. You really don't want to take a free strike from him. Even his little paladin buddies pack a decent punch and they're great for holding zones. Fun with the Vessel of Judgment too for that extra move + attack when they do bite it.

Legion, Circle, and Skorne have plenty of magic/magic weapons. Trolls are a bit hosed, as are minions but over half of the factions aren't too bothered by him.

I've always kinda felt that Martyr is a trap ability. Harby is pretty drat easy to kill, and if you've got her in command range of Vilmon he's either back guarding her (which can work) or you've got a 14/14 caster way the gently caress forward. Also she's taken some damage, and if you commit to killing him he's either going to die or Harby will be sitting on death's door.

He's not worthless, but I can't justify taking him when their are better options for the points. KES outperforms him pretty much all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I'll fight Cryx and Menoth over stupid loving Legion any day of the week.

• Locked thread