Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm gonna be in NYC this weekend, and I have to know, what's the best record store in New York City?

Academy is phenomenal and has locations all across the city. Generation has the best metal/punk/hardcore selection and is right near NYU. Earwax in Brooklyn is also pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
might aswell add to lowtax's steaming pile of dirty cash

collector of about one and a half years.
here are some prized posessions taken with terrible cell phone camera:

Handshake Drugs
Oct 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Is this something they did everywhere or was that special to your location?

Seems like all of the Bullmoose stores had a copy to give away and I've seen reports of other stores around the country doing the same thing. I read somewhere that there were only 300 pressed for that purpose, but I don't how much truth there is in that. There's already one up on ebay going for over $100 though, but I don't really plan on selling mine.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Picked up some stuff on the way home along with the RSD Misfits album.

Culture - Harder than the Rest (amazing roots reggae, 1st edition)

Gil Evans does Jimi Hendrix (this is on some 4-channel record too, the guy was saying many people don't have the systems for that)

quote:

Jimi Hendrix was scheduled to record with Gil Evans' Orchestra but died before the session could take place. A few years later, Evans explored ten of Hendrix's compositions with his unique 19-piece unit, an orchestra that included two French horns, the tuba of Howard Johnson, three guitars, two basses, two percussionists and such soloists as altoist David Sanborn, trumpeter Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson, Billy Harper on tenor, and guitarists Ryo Kawasaki and John Abercrombie. Evans' arrangements uplift many of Hendrix's more blues-oriented compositions and create a memorable set that is rock-oriented but retains the improvisation and personality of jazz.

Mayhem - Deathcrush (clear vinyl)
Cradle of Filth - Vempire (some odd pink/marble color, pretty intense)
Misfits - Walk Among Us

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
BAH! My DFA1979 record came today, but it required a signature, and I wasn't home. Hopefully the post office will treat it nicely while it waits for me to come pick it up tomorrow.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Record store in Detroit has thousands of records that were once in J Dilla's collection. Would leave to hear more about this if anyone lives nearby.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Record store in Detroit has thousands of records that were once in J Dilla's collection. Would leave to hear more about this if anyone lives nearby.

That's pretty cool. Would love to see what he had in his collection.
Also, thousands of records :stare:

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

fozzie dunlop posted:

Academy is phenomenal and has locations all across the city. Generation has the best metal/punk/hardcore selection and is right near NYU. Earwax in Brooklyn is also pretty good.

Generation was the store I started at on RSD, and is like one of 3 places I've been looking for records. What I'm saying is, is that they have records.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Crimson Sox posted:

That's pretty cool. Would love to see what he had in his collection.
Also, thousands of records :stare:

There are probably quite a few people who post in this thread who have thousands of records. I consider my collection a little idiosyncratic and on the small side, and I have thousands of records.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

chime_on posted:

There are probably quite a few people who post in this thread who have thousands of records. I consider my collection a little idiosyncratic and on the small side, and I have thousands of records.

:stare:

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Seeing as my dad's collection takes up a whole bedroom and the entire loftspace of the house, and I personally have around 600 records, a few thousand doesn't phase me...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I can't think of thousands of albums I'd like to listen to... I probably have around 300 or 400 records, and I listen to a great majority of them regularly.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

I have over 2200 albums in itunes... I aspire to collect more records but I don't think I hit over 250 yet.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Can anyone recommend a good place (or places) in RI to hunt down records? I live near Armageddon and I'm going to check that out this week - any others?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

mono posted:

Can anyone recommend a good place (or places) in RI to hunt down records? I live near Armageddon and I'm going to check that out this week - any others?
Armageddon is great for certain genres: mostly metal, punk, thrash, that sort of thing. Their prices aren't great, but they have a lot of stuff you won't find elsewhere in RI. If you don't mind driving a bit, In Your Ear in Boston is my go-to place for crate digging. Mystic Disk in Conn. is also a decent place to buy from. Prices are a little high and the shop is pretty small, but its worth the drive if you ask me.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Armageddon is great for certain genres: mostly metal, punk, thrash, that sort of thing. Their prices aren't great, but they have a lot of stuff you won't find elsewhere in RI. If you don't mind driving a bit, In Your Ear in Boston is my go-to place for crate digging. Mystic Disk in Conn. is also a decent place to buy from. Prices are a little high and the shop is pretty small, but its worth the drive if you ask me.

Apparently there's an IYE in Warren too, so I'll probably check that one out too. Thanks!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

mono posted:

Apparently there's an IYE in Warren too, so I'll probably check that one out too. Thanks!

I really like Armageddon, you can't go wrong there.

Providence also has Round Again Records. There's also Luke's Record Exchange in Pawtucket and the Time Capsule in Cranston. I can't say much about any of them because I've never been to those. Also, if you want to take a short drive into Massachusetts there's Sunset Records in Somerset. You've got a lot to choose from in your area.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

chime_on posted:

I wouldn't even call anything less than a thousand a collection. It's just a handful of records that happen to be in the same place.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

RizieN posted:

I can't think of thousands of albums I'd like to listen to... I probably have around 300 or 400 records, and I listen to a great majority of them regularly.

Part of it is sampling, if you sample records then you're always looking for little snippets, a drum tone you like, vocal samples, etc. It's not hard to see how you could amass thousands of records if you're using them as collage. I've definitely bought records by the crate-load, easily purchasing a couple hundred in a single run. Record swaps or DJ's breaking down collections, that sort of thing.

I also have thousands, probably about 5000 right now, and I feel like it's small in comparison to most producers and real record collectors. I think smart collectors start to thin out around this point, which I'm doing now. That kind of "one out for one in" mentality.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I saw a thing on tv about this guy who owns a shop called Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. He owns so many records he has to live in a loving warehouse. He kept filling up houses with records, so finally he just decided to live in a warehouse. I believe they said he owns 1 million records or something insane like that. Sometimes he just gives away whole boxes of records for free.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

CPL593H posted:

I saw a thing on tv about this guy who owns a shop called Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. He owns so many records he has to live in a loving warehouse. He kept filling up houses with records, so finally he just decided to live in a warehouse. I believe they said he owns 1 million records or something insane like that. Sometimes he just gives away whole boxes of records for free.

Why would you not just put the records in the warehouse, and live in the house?

I have a storage unit for my records, but I've been thinking about putting them in my bedroom so that I can do sleep on the floor of the storage unit instead

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTnj50NVJg&feature=related

It's pretty depressing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

JohnnyMondo posted:

Why would you not just put the records in the warehouse, and live in the house?

I have a storage unit for my records, but I've been thinking about putting them in my bedroom so that I can do sleep on the floor of the storage unit instead

He kept filling houses, and then buying another house to live in while still having the record house. Eventually he just said "gently caress it" and moved into a warehouse. I should point out that the show I was watching about about hoarders.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTn...feature=related

It's pretty depressing.

You know what's worse? This is a completely different show from the one I saw him on.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010
Honestly he seems fine to me. He's not living in a warehouse while his houses are filled with records, he just moved all his records to a warehouse and lives there too. He seems happy and has a lot of records. Sounds like a role model to me!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHTnj50NVJg&feature=related

It's pretty depressing.

He looks really happy. Good on him.

My collection, according to Discogs, stands at 650, with half of those being 7"s, so I don't have a "proper" collection yet according to some of the criteria written here. But I know it will grow :unsmith:

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
There are like, no record stores anywhere near me but I checked my email this morning and found that Burning Shed were selling the Catalogue / Preserve / Amass vinyl by Steven Wilson. Ordered the poo poo out of it :smug:

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

dflanny posted:

He looks really happy. Good on him.
Yeah, I think so too. His store is surprisingly well kept for somebody that doesn't really scrutinize what he takes in. His feeling that he needs to rescue stuff from a dumpster is probably the worst part, but like you were saying, doesn't seem to bother him or anybody else.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

What's the basic, default, go-to webstore for vinyl reissues/legacy stuff to fill in your back catalogue with currently new, in-print reissue catalogue stuff? Is there one? Is the answer Insound?

I want to fill in probably 50-100 "classic" records - you know, T. Rex, Sly and the Family Stone, John Fahey, Warren Zevon, Nick Lowe, etc. - but the online prices, in stock status, shipping policies, etc. seem to be all over the place. Is there one basic answer, or do you guys have a battery of them like "first I check insound, then amazon, then I go over here..."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

looks like the MBV remasters are on CD :/

Pious Pete
Sep 8, 2006

Ladies like that, right?

CPL593H posted:

I've seen Jerry around a few times before and he seems like a pretty cool guy. Jerry's Records really is the place to go for collectors in Pittsburgh. He's definitely more than a bit of a hoarder though. Last record store day he gave me three blind boxes full of 100 records each. Most were water damaged classical stuff, but a quarter or so were library saves in really good condition that would have been thrown out otherwise. That's where I got my Lead Belly and Simon & Garfunkel albums. The rest I've been using the last year for gifts and craft projects. I hate imagine him having so many lying around that aren't even playable/sellable though.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Transistor Rhythm posted:

What's the basic, default, go-to webstore for vinyl reissues/legacy stuff to fill in your back catalogue with currently new, in-print reissue catalogue stuff? Is there one? Is the answer Insound?

I want to fill in probably 50-100 "classic" records - you know, T. Rex, Sly and the Family Stone, John Fahey, Warren Zevon, Nick Lowe, etc. - but the online prices, in stock status, shipping policies, etc. seem to be all over the place. Is there one basic answer, or do you guys have a battery of them like "first I check insound, then amazon, then I go over here..."

For common/classic stuff (especially if you don't mind non-pristine condition) my default is thrift stores, used bookstores, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist etc.

But as noted if you're anal retentive and want everything in perfect condition, then that's probably not the route you want to go.

EDIT: Best deal I ever got on Craigslist was a dude whose wife was bugging him to clean out his storage locker so I bought just under 500 classic/common records from him for $100. I still have a majority of them although I have thinned out the heard some over the years. I just never got into that "Best of U.K./U.K." album.

Xarthor fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 27, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Woot, had this sitting inside my door. :D

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
I was walking around Paris today and a guy on the street was selling some Beatles vinyl for about 30 euro. The thing about them is that each record is a bright color red, orange or green and I'm wondering if these are legit because I've never seen them back home in the states and I'd like to know if it's worth it to get one back in one piece.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Xarthor posted:

But as noted if you're anal retentive and want everything in perfect condition, then that's probably not the route you want to go.

What exactly is anal retentive about wanting reissues? Some people like to get new records, and reissues can be great and include new liner notes or extras. I guess when I bought the Biz Markie reissue of "The Biz Never Sleeps" from Insound I was being an anal retentive rear end in a top hat since I never see it at thrift stores and I wanted a nice copy of it with a poster of the unused cover. Cool answer bro.

On topic, other than label by label I find Insound the best for finding reissues to purchase new.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Stuff like that is easy enough to find and doesn't usually cost more than five bucks in a record shop. If you looking for reissues of that type of stuff your best bet is probably soundstagedirect.com or acousticsounds.com. Reissues of that stuff will generally cost way more than old copies though.

Pious Pete posted:

I've seen Jerry around a few times before and he seems like a pretty cool guy. Jerry's Records really is the place to go for collectors in Pittsburgh. He's definitely more than a bit of a hoarder though. Last record store day he gave me three blind boxes full of 100 records each. Most were water damaged classical stuff, but a quarter or so were library saves in really good condition that would have been thrown out otherwise. That's where I got my Lead Belly and Simon & Garfunkel albums. The rest I've been using the last year for gifts and craft projects. I hate imagine him having so many lying around that aren't even playable/sellable though.

Yeah, I wasn't saying he seems like a bad guy or anything. I was just throwing that out there because people were saying a few thousand records is crazy.

Action Serious posted:

I was walking around Paris today and a guy on the street was selling some Beatles vinyl for about 30 euro. The thing about them is that each record is a bright color red, orange or green and I'm wondering if these are legit because I've never seen them back home in the states and I'd like to know if it's worth it to get one back in one piece.

They're probably bootlegs. Keep in mind that the Beatles are literally the most bootlegged band of all time. To be honest, I don't know much about all the different pressings from anywhere besides the US and UK. But a lot of bootleg copies are on colored vinyl. Was 30 euro the price for the lot or each? Because 30 each is highway loving robbery.

Blendy posted:

What exactly is anal retentive about wanting reissues? Some people like to get new records, and reissues can be great and include new liner notes or extras. I guess when I bought the Biz Markie reissue of "The Biz Never Sleeps" from Insound I was being an anal retentive rear end in a top hat since I never see it at thrift stores and I wanted a nice copy of it with a poster of the unused cover. Cool answer bro.

On topic, other than label by label I find Insound the best for finding reissues to purchase new.

There's also the fact that a lot of reissues were remastered and sound better than the original pressings. But that's been a controversial opinion here sometimes.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Xarthor posted:

For common/classic stuff (especially if you don't mind non-pristine condition) my default is thrift stores, used bookstores, flea markets, garage sales, craigslist etc.

EDIT: Best deal I ever got on Craigslist was a dude whose wife was bugging him to clean out his storage locker so I bought just under 500 classic/common records from him for $100. I still have a majority of them although I have thinned out the heard some over the years. I just never got into that "Best of U.K./U.K." album.

Yep, I specifically want brand new, shrink-wrapped, perfect stuff. I've plenty of burned, worn, pop-and-crackly stuff, but for some of these serious legacy records I really just want brand-new rear end editions. I'm old enough and rich enough to skip the thrift stores at this point.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Yep, I specifically want brand new, shrink-wrapped, perfect stuff. I've plenty of burned, worn, pop-and-crackly stuff, but for some of these serious legacy records I really just want brand-new rear end editions. I'm old enough and rich enough to skip the thrift stores at this point.

Dusty Groove is probably your best bet for most classic reiussues

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Acoustic Sounds specializes in this.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

After getting this and the Tom Waits deal, I have to say I am pretty happy with popmarket:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Jeff Wiiver posted:

So I went to the IYE in Warren yesterday and it was pretty kickass. They have a huge section of bargain bin LPs for $1 and I binged like a mofo.