Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's been up for days! You're always behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I do some forensic IT stuff now and then so until lately the only place I would see "CP" is in reports. So now I involuntarily cringe for a second every time I see those two letters together like that. I'm sure most people aren't going to make that association though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, it must have sucked for you(r mind) when all that BP stuff was in the news.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I was going to say that I was finding Alerts a lot more fun now that people were finally starting to understand how to play them. Then I had three alerts in a row where everyone ran off and attacked things on their own then respawned and did it all over again.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The proper shortened term for Cryptic Points is Funbux. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I prefer Itchy and Scratchy Money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

By the way, the color for the Glowing heirloom glasses can be changed. I believe that one is Healing, though like I've said before the stats are identical.

They obey your All Powers color choice. Unequip the item, set a color, and reequip.

The other 2 are locked.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So I recently got into this game and made a free form hero. I want him to have a radiation motif do I'm using the scourge (none of the chain or non-gas based powers) and fire. I'm also thinking of using green tinted lightning powers. Anyone got any good builds or tips for that kind of power combination?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So I recently got into this game and made a free form hero. I want him to have a radiation motif do I'm using the scourge (none of the chain or non-gas based powers) and fire. I'm also thinking of using green tinted lightning powers. Anyone got any good builds or tips for that kind of power combination?

If you're not using Fiery Form already, you'll want that. It boosts both Toxic (Which is what Infernal uses) and Fire damage.

The rest determines on which set is your primary damage source.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I particularly like Infernal, personally, but as a new player you should be cautious of how many retcons you end up doing. You probably don't have 6+ banked like some of us do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Okay. In an effor to gain even more CP for nefarious purposes, I've tried every adventure pack and comic series solo.

-Whiteout is the most efficient. The finale is a bit of a handful, and I had trouble with the end of #4, but overall it's pretty easy.
-Aftershock has way too many vestigial bits, and gently caress the segment with the kid hiding from her mom. But if you just rush it you won't get down too many hours.
-Demonflame... I admit I only did Demonflame when it was free for a weekend. Really fidgety and takes a bit too long but it's okay I guess.
-I'm not convinced Serpent's Lantern was actually developed, so much as procedurally generated to be as tedious and un-fun as possible. I still hate the guy who said that'd take maybe one hour.
-I had so much hope for Resistance, it was so much fun... But the fight against Arcana is bugged, and the fight against Shadow Destroyer was impossible for me largely because I have absolutely no loving clue what I was meant to be doing and was just left guessing. Which wasn't fun or effective because there was no reinforcement that what I was doing was working. Also for somebody apparently unmatched in intellect Doctor Destroyer is a loving moron.

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
I'm not sure where to look this up, but with the whole stats rejiggering, did they change any of the way stats interact with pets/summons? Or is it still mostly the same?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

raocow posted:

I'm not sure where to look this up, but with the whole stats rejiggering, did they change any of the way stats interact with pets/summons? Or is it still mostly the same?
As far as I know, it's still mostly the same. There is however at least one talent specialization sub-tree focused around pet use and summoning, so if you're planning a pet-heavy build it's probably good to look into that.

Kimchi Surplus
Dec 4, 2007

Daddy's out of bourbon...

Asimo posted:

As far as I know, it's still mostly the same. There is however at least one talent specialization sub-tree focused around pet use and summoning, so if you're planning a pet-heavy build it's probably good to look into that.

If I remember correctly, pets now gain crit chance and crit severity equal to half of yours.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, who else got some warning about account security?

vvvvvvv
Yeah, I noticed the date on their announcement was back in 2010, kind of... Yeah.

At least I was only using an unsecure throwaway password.

I just want everyone on the Internet to start using two factor authentication.

Jan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 26, 2012

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Jan posted:

So, who else got some warning about account security?

Check the Star Trek Online thread, I guess some vast portion of their account servers got hacked in 2010 and they're just now finding out about it.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467394&userid=84225

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hooray, Cryptic. :geno:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to change my pass now, cryptic informs me that my account is a perfect world account now, so I should go to their website. I do it there, and I have yet to get the drat confirmation email from them, even after telling it to resend a few times. Hooray.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Good news! I discovered that the Cyberpunk Torso part is male only!

Bad news! I discovered this after spending the 45,000 Questionite to buy it!

loving Cryptic clownshoes.

Am I mad? Yes, I'm loving mad.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Except aren't there NPCs loitering around in the shop in Millennium City wearing it? :psyduck: Or is that another piece? Make a post on it on the official forum, although don't expect it to be fixed or changed for another six months.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
There's a chest wear piece as well. Armplates, Legplates, Mouth, Eyes, Chest, Legs, Feet and Torso.

All I can say is thank God Tera is 3 hours away :byewhore:

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 28, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A bunch of the new costume pieces are single gender when they're not supposed to be.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So there is a contest going on to design a new villain for a raid.

You guys can try for second place after Mecha Nixon.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

ColHannibal posted:

So there is a contest going on to design a new villain for a raid.

You guys can try for second place after Mecha Nixon.

I wanted to enter it, but only Gold players can actually post to enter it.

A shame, I had a really fun idea, too. A guy who remembered his past lives, in which he was killed by things like magical rituals, scientific experiments, being bitten by radioactive animals, shot by the thug that also killed his parents, and being hit by a meteor. So he's pissed at all the heroes running around who survived all this poo poo.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Seems the upcoming calendar section has been removed from both the ChampO and STO sites. That probably isn't really good news, since they'd probably like to advertise if there's a lot of stuff coming, but I guess it is a little deceptive too. The big ChampO update was a fairly massive undertaking for example, for a one-line calendar note.

Still annoying though. Now what will Aphrodite beat me to posting? :qq:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 4, 2018

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Friendly Factory posted:

What is the best archetype to use in f2p for solo pve stuff? I want to get back into this game but don't want to gimp myself.

I hope you like waving katanas like a spaz! Most of this drat game seems to, furries and ninjas and ninja furries all.

Really, though, you'll have to work harder to gimp yourself than make a build that works. If you want to know what's that hands-down "best" archetype talent spec whatever, this game doesn't warrant the obsessive number crunching other MMOs do so you'd be hard-pressed to get a straight answer. Some exist, but inexorable time limits their poopsocking spreadsheet endeavours. One of those spergs might even be in this thread!

Seriously, though, what you think is cool should be your mould, and everything else comes afterward. All of the Might powersets are good, Lightning Reflexes dodge tank is good, Bestial and Infernal Supernatural can be great (Devour Essence + Regeneration + Resurgence + Void Shield with the adv., never die again), Force Cascade specs can be good--these are just what I've run into in my personal experience. Honestly, they all work.

Except Telepathy and any builds that use Personal Forcefield. Stay faaar away from those.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm assuming we're sticking with completely free Archetypes, because he did say 'f2p'.

Take it from me: Steer very clear of the Behemoth. It has the most fun power in the game, and then balances it out by making every single other power in the Archetype boring and useless. If you want to do a tank, I've heard good things about the Glacier. If you're playing Freeform, though, the base powerset (Might) is pretty good.

I can't speak for most of the other Archetypes, but they're all good enough at their job. So it really depends what you want to play.

For tanking, go for Glacier, like I said. It's great at taking hits, albeit not much else.

For the typical in-the-thick-of-it melee DPS, you've got the Blade or the Unleashed. I've heard more good things about Unleashed than Blade, although it starts slow. Unfortunately if you don't wanna pay for things and want to play a melee DPS, it looks like you're stuck with playing either a ninja or a Jedi.

Ranged damage, you've got Inferno, Marksman, and Soldier. Of all of those, I've heard the best about Soldier, and having played it I have to agree that it's pretty rad. You don't have any defenses to speak of whatsoever, but hopefully you'll be killing things too fast to care.

Grimoire's the only utility/jack of all trades free Archetype, and I stick by it - it's sort of sturdy, has a heal, does some nice damage, and is amazing at doing all this once you get locating yourself down.

As for support you've got Mind and Radiant, and neither of those are very good at solo play so you shouldn't take them into account.

Hope that helps!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

viewtyjoe
Jan 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

As for support you've got Mind and Radiant, and neither of those are very good at solo play so you shouldn't take them into account.

I can't speak for Mind, but I'm leveling a Radiant, and I have had zero difficulty soloing APs except for in rare cases where you get more than 5ish dudes thrown at you at once, because your primary AoE can't hit more than 5 guys. You have a hilariously powerful self-heal that also doubles as ranged damage, and the Support role gives you such a high equilibrium that you hardly need your energy builder. Honestly, I'm having less trouble with Radiant than I've had with any other archetype, just because the ability to heal through packs of enemies wailing on you is so powerful. Grab the advantage that turns your AoE into a paralyze/stun, and it just gets easier, since having Presence as your primary superstat means you'll stun anything that isn't immune for at least a few seconds.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Behemoth is a lot better than Cleretic gives it credit, but yeah overall it's just very... one-note. Incredibly durably, but just punching. If you like the super strength thing that could be good though, depending.

The Mind is horrible, stay the gently caress away. It has all of three non-energy-builder attacks, one of them is a DoT, and the only real AoE they get is at 32... crippling in a game focused around "beat up groups of enemies". Radiant's a lot better there, and both are decent on the support side, so if you're planning to duo or group it doesn't really matter.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Friendly Factory posted:

So this is a little hosed up. Going through the early story mission stuff and I need to bully some dude named Wayland Talos to get info on a mobster. I sneak in, beat the poo poo out of him and the big "i" appears above his head. I was currently holding an explosive barrel, which the game refused to let me drop. After about 30 seconds, Talos bolts through the back door and disappears. Forever. I dropped the quest and went back and now I can't bully the fucker because he's gone. I think I'm somehow locked out of forward progress in this questline.

Try logging out for about 5~ minutes and trying again. Instances reset after around that time, so he should be there after that.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 4, 2018

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

It takes a while to get going, yeah, though that tends to be true for archetypes in general; something like Skarn's Bane is amazingly useful, but the archetype only gets it at 27, instead of the 14(?) it potentially could be for a freeform. Be sure to keep the sigils up during bosses where possible, and if they're melee try to drag them to the center so they focused by as many sigils as possible.

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl
Grimoire is terrible, you're not even a glass cannon, you're just made of glass.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the only "decent" support archetype is Inventor, and even that's mostly because the pets do most of the work for you. It's a problem with how the game's designed; archtypes came later, and most freeform PCs (and by extension most groups) are built around being durable tankmages who can fend for themselves. A purely support character generally isn't really necessary, and the solo game is more about your own damage and durability anyway.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.
Gotta weigh in here in defense of the Mind, as I think it's an often misunderstood archetype.

With Sentinel Aura and Aura of Radiant Protection, you'll pretty much keep yourself and any allies at full health without needing to use an active heal power, and while the Mind's DPS against a single target is poor, one must realize that ego sprites and summon nightmare (with the unlimited duration advantage, I recommend) are both fire-and-forget damage, and can be active on entire rooms, or multiple rooms of enemies at once.

It's not unusual during alerts for my Mind to have ten or so nightmare thingies running around doing damage, as well as watching ego sprites tick away on everything in sight. Who needs direct attacks?

For soloing, it's pretty much "take two seconds to lay down ego sprites, move to next enemy group because I know this one will be dead eventually." My Mind clears things faster than my Radiant because the Mind fights five groups at a time.

On the other hand, the Mind's powers are pink. This probably outweighs any advantages the archetype may have.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Not talking about the free archetype, but last time I played mind had poo poo all usefulness on the attack in terms of damage.

Thing is, if you went full mind, nothing would die if you played it right, unless the players you were healing were complete idiots. This pretty much let you troll zombie apocalypse matches in the worst way for the zombie team, since you could just sit in the center and set down DOT's around you while healing anyone that had their HP start to drop.

I assume the mind archetype works off of those same powers. If so, it's a ridiculously overpowered set. Just not for actual DPSing. Or soloing. You can do the latter, but your real strength is in pissing everyone on the opposing team off with your inability to let them make any progress/EXP.

Or healing a team in a PVE match. But the PVE content is so easy at the moment that there's really not much need for healers, except on the highest difficulty level. That's kind of a failing in Cryptic games either way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 4, 2018