Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Bash Ironfist posted:

I want to smack who ever suggested Candyman The first half of the movie is about white people being afraid of black people because ghetto black people is scary, ya'll!

Then when you think it's gonna get good, the main actress starts getting whiny and annoying. Her friend is dead and what does she do? Why she starts whining under her breath!

Ugh.

I just want to state yes. Yes. A while back I got dog piled for suggesting Breakfast At Tiffany's. Yes, there was some racism in the film, but it wasn't an underlying theme. Where as Candyman was entirely about white people being afraid of black people, sometimes to the point where it was ridiculous. If it wasn't for white people being afraid of black people, the movie would have made no sense. There is nothing scary about the movie if you've ever been into a city major. Not the downtown touristy area, but the actual city. Because everything was so unbelievable.

And the vengeance trilogy was great, and I have no idea about a dubbed version, that would be horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Subliminal racism is honestly a pretty interesting theme for a horror movie, and Candyman handles it about as competently as a movie can be reasonably expected to.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

WickedIcon posted:

Subliminal racism is honestly a pretty interesting theme for a horror movie, and Candyman handles it about as competently as a movie can be reasonably expected to.

You're right, subliminal racism can be a great storyteller. Candyman was not subliminal, and just pretty much blatant. The movie was pretty much "Blacks suck and make our lives suck so they should die" Hell, the White Woman eventually won in the end. Why? Who knows, cause the Candyman let it happen, that's why. (Oh wait, it's cause the black man want's some of that sweet sweet white woman and so do we!")

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I haven't seen Candyman (don't like horror movies) but I'll just go ahead and assume that it's super racist.

So on a much happier note, One, Two, Three is streaming (and has been for a while). It's a lesser-known Billy Wilder comedy that's probably one of the fastest moving comedies I've ever seen. It has some nice on-location shots of Berlin, a car chase, jokes about Communism, jokes about Capitalism, jokes about Coca Cola, jokes about the South... definitely worth a watch. It's lots of fun. You won't go 5 minutes without laughing.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

FrostedButts posted:

The original G.I. Joe, Jem and Transformers series are all on streaming now. They're worth watching not because of nostalgia, but because how ridiculously awkward the animation was. Jem is probably the worst/best of the bunch just for how warped gravity and basic human actions turn into unintentional comedic gold.
Thanks for posting that, time to go relive my childhood.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

FrostedButts posted:

The original G.I. Joe, Jem and Transformers series are all on streaming now. They're worth watching not because of nostalgia, but because how ridiculously awkward the animation was. Jem is probably the worst/best of the bunch just for how warped gravity and basic human actions turn into unintentional comedic gold.
I got really excited when I saw the GI Joe logo pop up and found it was only the (admittedly very good) GI Joe: Renegades. I know what I'm watching every morning for the forseeable future.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Not sure if there is another Netflix thread, so I'll ask here:

I use account profiles to categorize the dvds in my queue (modern films and television; main account is classics. I assign one dvd to each for the sake of variety) Anyway, it used to be simple switching into the other profiles from the main account by simply clicking on your account name in the upper right corner and selecting the different profiles, but for a long time now I've been getting logged out and asked to log back in with the usernames/emails I attached to the profiles, and it didn't used to be this way. Why the change? Do they offer a simpler way to categorize your queue?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I watched Mutants last night and while fairly predictable, the setting and acting sold it for me. A pretty good zombie movie, especially with the dearth of good ones lately.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

SRM posted:

I got really excited when I saw the GI Joe logo pop up and found it was only the (admittedly very good) GI Joe: Renegades. I know what I'm watching every morning for the forseeable future.

Unfortunately, I discovered that they only have Season 1 of GI Joe and not all the episodes either. It seems like they may be available later on, but Shout! has been very weird about releasing GI Joe. They released the complete series, but for some reason Mill Creek is releasing episodes from the first season now while Shout! continues on with GI Joe Series 2. Just seems weird to me.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I haven't seen Candyman (don't like horror movies) but I'll just go ahead and assume that it's super racist.

The entire film is about a white woman being punished for trespassing on a black narrative and trying to co-opt it and rob it of its power (by finding the "real" Candyman.) It's about myths having a reality beyond their origins.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The entire film is about a white woman being punished for trespassing on a black narrative and trying to co-opt it and rob it of its power (by finding the "real" Candyman.) It's about myths having a reality beyond their origins.

Also bees.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sarchasm posted:

Also bees.

I think this is why that movie scared the hell out of me as a kid.

gently caress bees.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Also, watching OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and I can't stop laughing. Jean Dujardin is hilarious and just does not pick up on any cues, he's so completely oblivious. And Bérénice Bejo is gorgeous. And it just keeps getting better.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just watched Demolition Man for the first time since its been sitting on my queue forever. Its, uh, not exactly Stallone at his best, but Wesley Snipes and the fat dude from Beetlejuice probably made it more entertaining than it actually should be.

Also, I was folding laundry so I may have missed this; do they just drop the subplot about finding his daughter? I assumed when they mentioned it that it would turn out to be Sandra Bullock but then they get their bone on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Wolfsheim posted:

Just watched Demolition Man for the first time since its been sitting on my queue forever. Its, uh, not exactly Stallone at his best, but Wesley Snipes and the fat dude from Beetlejuice probably made it more entertaining than it actually should be.

Also, I was folding laundry so I may have missed this; do they just drop the subplot about finding his daughter? I assumed when they mentioned it that it would turn out to be Sandra Bullock but then they get their bone on.

I believe they handwave it away with some line of dialogue along the lines of Stallone not wanting to disrupt her life or wanting to change the way she remembered him or something like that. I'm probably way off, but I seem to recall it being a very bullshit reason, but I do remember it being addressed.

EDIT: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080111195350AAjybTH

According to this, it's even worse. Spartan asks about his daughter, somebody interrupts, and it's just never brought up again.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I believe they handwave it away with some line of dialogue along the lines of Stallone not wanting to disrupt her life or wanting to change the way she remembered him or something like that. I'm probably way off, but I seem to recall it being a very bullshit reason, but I do remember it being addressed.

EDIT: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080111195350AAjybTH

According to this, it's even worse. Spartan asks about his daughter, somebody interrupts, and it's just never brought up again.

Don't know if it was ever filmed or not, but I think at one point they were planning on making her a member of Leary's group.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Demolition Man is perfect. The last thing they needed would have been some father/daughter drama. They should have just said "Oh and your daughter invented the 3 seashell technique." as they were hero-walking off in the last scene.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Wolfsheim posted:

There's actually a pretty good AVClub article about Demolition Man, and how it's a better and more self-aware movie than you might think: http://www.avclub.com/articles/demolition-man,69379/
It's one of my favorite cheesy action movies; I hung around a burrito bar for like half an hour since it was on in there and I just had to watch it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

SRM posted:

There's actually a pretty good AVClub article about Demolition Man, and how it's a better and more self-aware movie than you might think: http://www.avclub.com/articles/demolition-man,69379/
Eh, I always took the opposite message from that film. The liberal legal department that trusts criminals too much lets Stallone get wrongly frozen, and then Snipes runs rampant in a society that can't stop him because they are all weak pacifists and only Stallone - the guy who refuses to play by the rules - manages to stop him thanks to his unrelenting violence.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie as a guilty pleasure. But I feel like it's akin to Cobra in following the typical action movie template of "The world would be a safer place if the police could act above the law." I didn't get any of the satire of something like a Verhoeven movie out of it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

kuddles posted:

Eh, I always took the opposite message from that film. The liberal legal department that trusts criminals too much lets Stallone get wrongly frozen, and then Snipes runs rampant in a society that can't stop him because they are all weak pacifists and only Stallone - the guy who refuses to play by the rules - manages to stop him thanks to his unrelenting violence.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie as a guilty pleasure. But I feel like it's akin to Cobra in following the typical action movie template of "The world would be a safer place if the police could act above the law." I didn't get any of the satire of something like a Verhoeven movie out of it.

Man, I thought it was pretty weak but it wasn't Cobra weak, Jesus. It actually reminded me of Judge Dredd, a film I'm apparently alone in thinking was pretty watchable.

I dunno, I never really saw any Stallone movies until I was in my twenties, so until then I assumed they were all basically Demolition Man: enjoyable, but stupid as hell, action movies. Then a friend showed me Rocky and First Blood and I was surprised by how great and well-executed they were. Then of course the sequels and every other movie he made were enjoyable but stupid as hell action movies (with a few exceptions). I guess I've been on the lookout for another great Stallone film and nothing's measured up since :sigh:

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also, watching OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies and I can't stop laughing. Jean Dujardin is hilarious and just does not pick up on any cues, he's so completely oblivious. And Bérénice Bejo is gorgeous. And it just keeps getting better.

I watched both OSS 117 movies based on recommendations from this thread (I think) and I completely agree. The movies were hysterical and Jean Dujardin is not only hilarious but so damned charming. I would love to watch more things that he's in. Yes, I did watch The Artist and I loved it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

scorpiobean posted:

I watched both OSS 117 movies based on recommendations from this thread (I think) and I completely agree. The movies were hysterical and Jean Dujardin is not only hilarious but so damned charming. I would love to watch more things that he's in. Yes, I did watch The Artist and I loved it.

Even on a recent rewatch, Lost in Rio, which I thought before to be not as funny as Cairo, Nest of Spies, held up just as well. (Dujardin in a Robin Hood getup alone is well worth it, as is the chase scene around the base of the waterfall.) They are AMAZING movies, and I felt a little hipster-:smug: at thinking to myself, "I knew about these guys BEFORE The Artist."

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

If you want a nice little mindblow, A Knight's Tale is still streaming, as I believe, and Berenice Bejo has a pretty sizeable role as the best friend to the romantic female lead.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I dunno, I never really saw any Stallone movies until I was in my twenties, so until then I assumed they were all basically Demolition Man: enjoyable, but stupid as hell, action movies. Then a friend showed me Rocky and First Blood and I was surprised by how great and well-executed they were. Then of course the sequels and every other movie he made were enjoyable but stupid as hell action movies (with a few exceptions). I guess I've been on the lookout for another great Stallone film and nothing's measured up since :sigh:
It's not on streaming anymore, but I think Cop Land is by far the best thing Stallone has done in the last 20 years. Even the recent "return to form" Rocky and Rambo movies I didn't think really managed to do much for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I once saw a version of Demolition Man where every reference to Taco Bell was replaced with Pizza Hut. This includes logos and things characters say. Unfortunately they still served something vaguely taco-like at the dinner.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I once saw a version of Demolition Man where every reference to Taco Bell was replaced with Pizza Hut. This includes logos and things characters say. Unfortunately they still served something vaguely taco-like at the dinner.

They did this in a bunch of non-American countries, yeah. Taco Bell isn't a big thing in Europe, and it was an easy switch because they're both owned by the same company anyway so they didn't need to worry about legal wrangling.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

You're right, subliminal racism can be a great storyteller. Candyman was not subliminal, and just pretty much blatant. The movie was pretty much "Blacks suck and make our lives suck so they should die" Hell, the White Woman eventually won in the end. Why? Who knows, cause the Candyman let it happen, that's why. (Oh wait, it's cause the black man want's some of that sweet sweet white woman and so do we!")

Not... really? I got the impression that what gave the Candyman any power in the first place was the white people's fear of a strong black man. Subliminal racism is what causes everything to go tits-up in the first place.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I though IMDB had a decent write up of what was supposed to happen to John Spartan's duaghter, but it's gone. Luckily Wikipedia has some information or rather Wiki says the novel details Spartan's daughter. She was indeed one f the underground gang and Spartan saves her in a gunfight. There's a shot in the finished film of Stallone running with a woman that is apparently the missing daughter.

Wikipedia posted:

The novelization of the movie suggests that several significant cuts were made from the finished film. For one thing, John Spartan mentions his daughter on several occasions, but the question of what happened to her is never answered; the novel has her turn up among the Scraps. Indeed, there is a scene in the film where Spartan is protecting an unnamed middle-aged woman, moments after his daughter revealed herself to him in the novelization. Also, in the novel, Spartan's daughter kisses him on the cheek, which provides a context for Spartan french-kissing Huxley. In the film, he simply grabs her and kisses her without preamble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_Man#Novelization

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone seen The people vs George Lucas? I was cruising Netflix looking for a documentary and this one caught my eye. Is it a good look into the behind-the-scenes of star wars or just another boring documentary slamming Lucas?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone seen The people vs George Lucas? I was cruising Netflix looking for a documentary and this one caught my eye. Is it a good look into the behind-the-scenes of star wars or just another boring documentary slamming Lucas?

I didn't think it was that good. I watched it, it's not just slamming Lucas, but there is a lot of that. For me it was more about the fandom surrounding Star Wars. If you're a huge Star Wars fan, it's worth it. But for me who is only passingly interested, it wasn't that great of a doc.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Drewsky posted:

I didn't think it was that good. I watched it, it's not just slamming Lucas, but there is a lot of that. For me it was more about the fandom surrounding Star Wars. If you're a huge Star Wars fan, it's worth it. But for me who is only passingly interested, it wasn't that great of a doc.

I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars. :(

But yeah, it's entirely about the fandom of Star Wars and not the movies themselves.
It wasn't very interesting.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It could be both!

kuddles posted:

I didn't get any of the satire of something like a Verhoeven movie out of it.

Really? You didn't get parody out of a film where swearing gets you a citation, Taco Bell is the only restaurant, Dennis Leary is leading a red blooded American resistance... Hollywood is literally burning at the beginning of the film.
I mean, just because you don't agree with what it's making fun of, doesn't mean it's not satire.

Also anyone know what's up with the director of this film? He did Excess Baggage after Demolition Man and then it looks like he disappeared.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

wyoming posted:

Also anyone know what's up with the director of this film? He did Excess Baggage after Demolition Man and then it looks like he disappeared.

He realized he will never again achieve the level of perfection that was Demolition Man and joined a monastery.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm trying to find a really good movie to chill out to tonight, and eat some loving popcorn (haven't had popcorn in forever).

But I want the perfect movie. Can anyone do a better "recommended based on your interest" than netflix for me? Using these movies: Clockwork Orange, 2001 a Space— all Kubrick films, The Fountain, Blade Runner, Alien, anything by Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, and Terry Gilliam. I guess I'll cut the list off there.

I'd be super grateful if someone knew of something on instant queue that falls in line with some of the above movies. Or even if it isn't similar but just a really good, well made, slightly deep movie that isn't your normal trash or only good because its corny/cheesy/bad.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

RizieN posted:

I'm trying to find a really good movie to chill out to tonight, and eat some loving popcorn (haven't had popcorn in forever).

But I want the perfect movie. Can anyone do a better "recommended based on your interest" than netflix for me? Using these movies: Clockwork Orange, 2001 a Space— all Kubrick films, The Fountain, Blade Runner, Alien, anything by Wes Anderson, Sofia Coppola, David Lynch, and Terry Gilliam. I guess I'll cut the list off there.

I'd be super grateful if someone knew of something on instant queue that falls in line with some of the above movies. Or even if it isn't similar but just a really good, well made, slightly deep movie that isn't your normal trash or only good because its corny/cheesy/bad.

Watch Dogtooth. One of the best movies ive seen in a couple years.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Watched it thursday night (I think I saw your recommendation earlier in the thread)! Do you have any more ideas?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

RizieN posted:

The Host

vvvv nope: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Host/70059029?trkid=2361637

foodfight fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 28, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

RizieN posted:

Watched it thursday night (I think I saw your recommendation earlier in the thread)! Do you have any more ideas?

What did you think of it? Have you seen Timecrimes?

^^^do you mean The Perfect Host?

mds2 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 28, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

wyoming posted:

Really? You didn't get parody out of a film where swearing gets you a citation, Taco Bell is the only restaurant, Dennis Leary is leading a red blooded American resistance
Pretty much, yeah. I feel like you are giving it too much credit, personally. Especially since the main screenwriters continue to have a long and storied career writing similar corny material with absolute sincerity.

And the director went back to making art installations and music videos again.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

mds2 posted:

What did you think of it? Have you seen Timecrimes?

^^^do you mean The Perfect Host?

I liked it a lot, I didn't absolutely love it though, but I did go into it thinking it was going to be a different film than it was (mainly I thought it was an experiment and then a "test" like putting the kids in the outside world and observing what happens). Upon reflection I really do like it though.

I haven't seen Timecrimes, I'm reading about it now, and it sounds good.

And I'm assuming he meant the Perfect Host as well, which I have not seen but sounds interesting. Between The Perfect Host and Timecrimes which would you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I'm talking about The Host.

• Locked thread