Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

Young Freud posted:

Man, I've got a hard decision. Everything is coming together, but I'm really trying to make a decision on whether to get spend almost $2k on a Utilmaker or buy a cheaper Thing-O-Matic MakerBot or Replicator.

In an effort to save money, because the Euro is trading at a $1.30 rate, do I really need the Laser Cut Parts? Do I really need the NetFabb engine?

My Ultimaker should arrive within a week or two. You could just chill and wait for my trip report. I'd be happy to explore any issues your worried about or even try a model.

I got the NetFabb software as well although lots of people do just find without. Cura (aka skeinpypy) is super popular right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
And for anyone that hasn't used it before, even if you're not using the pro version of netfabb for slicing, the free basic version is invaluable for cutting or repairing models.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
So does anyone in-thread offer laser services? It would be nice to start helping each other get machines built...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SpiDeR posted:

So does anyone in-thread offer laser services? It would be nice to start helping each other get machines built...
Your best bet is probably joining a local hackerspace and using theirs if they have one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

peepsalot posted:

Your best bet is probably joining a local hackerspace and using theirs if they have one.

Does this exist in the US outside of Techshops (which there are only a couple of)? How do I go about finding something like that locally?

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Splizwarf posted:

Does this exist in the US outside of Techshops (which there are only a couple of)? How do I go about finding something like that locally?

There are hackerspaces in every major urban area in the US: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_ALL_Hacker_Spaces

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Thank you much, looks like there's something local even.

SpiDeR
Apr 30, 2002

Crystalline is fine too
Two places, 200 miles away... one with a laser! The ATL place seemed obsessed with feeding Occupy ATL.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Weee, finally got the shipment notice for my Ultimaker!

What should be the first thing I print?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A shot glass to toast your success.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kafkasgoldfish posted:

I need somewhere to host this the OBJ file, though.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

kafkasgoldfish posted:

A calibration cube.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Just make sure you're mentally prepared for failure, because the chance of screwing up the hot end and being unable to print anything reliably is pretty high.

Let us know if you're stuck on something, I've been following the google group for a while and am familiar with most of the pitfalls now.

Right away the biggest thing to look out for is this step:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.3_assembly:_Extrusion_head#Step_4_-_the_EXTRUDER

Where it says exactly 8mm try 9mm. A freshly assembled machine will have parts settling for the first several hours of operation, so an 8mm protrusion is almost guaranteed to slip out of the PEEK insulator and cause a plastic plug to form inside it. With some additional tube sticking out you can just tighten the screws on the print head a couple turns after each test print, to make sure the PEEK and tube is still firmly pushed together (but not TOO hard, the tube will bend and cause friction)

Also go order the UltiController addon right away :coal:

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

error1 posted:

Just make sure you're mentally prepared for failure, because the chance of screwing up the hot end and being unable to print anything reliably is pretty high.

Let us know if you're stuck on something, I've been following the google group for a while and am familiar with most of the pitfalls now.

Right away the biggest thing to look out for is this step:

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Ultimaker_rev.3_assembly:_Extrusion_head#Step_4_-_the_EXTRUDER

Where it says exactly 8mm try 9mm. A freshly assembled machine will have parts settling for the first several hours of operation, so an 8mm protrusion is almost guaranteed to slip out of the PEEK insulator and cause a plastic plug to form inside it. With some additional tube sticking out you can just tighten the screws on the print head a couple turns after each test print, to make sure the PEEK and tube is still firmly pushed together (but not TOO hard, the tube will bend and cause friction)

Also go order the UltiController addon right away :coal:

Yea, I've been following a lot of the discussions about those issues on the google group. I hope it turns out well :sweatdrop:

Funny thing about the UltiController. I found out about it they day they announced it and emailed them to have it added to my order. Since it didn't ship yet I was hoping to save on shipping. A couple hours later I got the shipping notification after 5+ weeks of waiting :suicide:

Incidentally, I consider my "first print" to be the first geeky thing I print after getting some decent calibration cubes out of the thing. I suppose the shot glass would be the traditional thing to print.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
So I just looked up prices on both Shapeways and Ponoko for making a coin holder, and the prices just seemed absolutely exorbitant. I wanna do a comparison: how much would it cost you to print this using ABS?

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

ImperialGuard posted:

So I just looked up prices on both Shapeways and Ponoko for making a coin holder, and the prices just seemed absolutely exorbitant. I wanna do a comparison: how much would it cost you to print this using ABS?

About $2

Videodrome fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 22, 2012

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

ImperialGuard posted:

You could cut the prices substantially by hollowing out most of the middle.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

Zhentar posted:

You could cut the prices substantially by hollowing out most of the middle.

Do Shapeways/Ponoko let you specify an infill %?

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Videodrome posted:

Do Shapeways/Ponoko let you specify an infill %?

Shapeways doesn't and I'm not sure if Ponoko would. Infill is mostly an FDM concept, it wouldn't work well with SLS because the powder would be trapped inside.

Just do a couple boolean operations to get something like below. You could get even fancier and get the interior to follow the profile but I just subtracted two cylinders, a 32 sided one and an 8 sided one.

Videodrome
Apr 5, 2003

All hail the new flesh!

ImperialGuard posted:

Before you run off and have this printed, please be aware that the holes are about .5mm too small for a US penny. I'd go ahead and make them a whole 1mm larger (in diameter), just to be sure the pennies easily fall all the way down.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

kafkasgoldfish posted:

It was a LONG time before I could actually print a shotglass that held liquid. My inability to print a functioning traditional celebratory 1st print shotglass was - unknown to me at the time - powerfully symbolic of the world of 3D printing that I had chosen to enter. :v:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Shapeways doesn't and I'm not sure if Ponoko would. Infill is mostly an FDM concept, it wouldn't work well with SLS because the powder would be trapped inside.

Shapeways actually checks hollow structures for holes that the powder can drain out of. If you don't have a drain hole, then they charge you for a solid structure anyway.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

It's alive!!!

Still some issues but I'm happy as can be. For as loose as I think my belts are, there seems to be few backlash related issues. However, flow rate needs to be dialed in as this guy doesn't quite hold water and there are blobbing issues on the inside.

Any ideas why I'm getting those striations on the outside every 6 mm? (kind of faint in this picture, but they're there) My z-axis feels quite smooth but every 6 mm it begins to squish a couple layers creating that bulge.

I still need to learn the tricks of the software. I used Cura for this but the path seemed... not ideal. When doing the sides of the cup it'd do two rings for the inside and two rings for the outside and rapidly vibrate in place trying to zigzag in the .5mm gap between the inner and outer rings. It'd also do some odd movements when switching to the opposite side of the model to do infill oozing as it went instead of just going full circle. Probably due to pathing logic that makes sense on anything but rings but still.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Saw a link to Solidoodle: http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

I like the idea of pre-made and the price is nice. Anyone got one and can comment? (Well, anyone got the 1st gen since this is a pre-order for 2nd gen?)

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

I'm ready for the zombie invasion, are you?

Mister Sinewave posted:

Saw a link to Solidoodle: http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=56

I like the idea of pre-made and the price is nice. Anyone got one and can comment? (Well, anyone got the 1st gen since this is a pre-order for 2nd gen?)

Looks like the resolution is really low though, website cites it as .3mm (300um)- but depending on application that may still be perfectly fine.

Here is a video of one in action- does not look too bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhULZQaT-Hs

Linux Assassin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 25, 2012

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
6" cube build area is pretty nice.

Also 0.3mm actual would be more useful to me than 0.003mm theoretical :v: (just pulling numbers out of the air as an example.)

I now regularly butt up against the limitations of my Makerbot cupcake and it's not build resolution nearly as often as it is plain junk like build size, etc.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Mister Sinewave posted:

6" cube build area is pretty nice.

Also 0.3mm actual would be more useful to me than 0.003mm theoretical :v: (just pulling numbers out of the air as an example.)

I now regularly butt up against the limitations of my Makerbot cupcake and it's not build resolution nearly as often as it is plain junk like build size, etc.

Very good points- this is seemingly a 'works out of the box' type deal, in the sub $800 range, with decent enough resolution that you could at least determine if more resolution would be worth the hair pulling of maintaining a more accurate machine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

$550 + postage to the uk is very tempting for an out-the-box printer with 6" x 6" x 6" envelope & hbp. The only hold back is the "we'll charge you straight away & send you a printer at some point in the future" part.

Edit: they claim 0.3mm typical for a fast/smooth print, possible to print at 0.1mm if required :aaa:

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 26, 2012

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Edit: they claim 0.3mm typical for a fast/smooth print, possible to print at 0.1mm if required :aaa:
Just keep in mind they aren't using a .1mm nozzle so you're not going to get .1mm features. You're always going to be limited by the size of the nozzle as far as feature resolution.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Just keep in mind they aren't using a .1mm nozzle so you're not going to get .1mm features. You're always going to be limited by the size of the nozzle as far as feature resolution.

Just to clarify, we're dealing with 3 dimensions. The X and Y resolution are nozzle dependent and the Z resolution is based on the layer thickness. I suspect most of those references are to layer thickness.

Linux Assassin
Aug 28, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

kafkasgoldfish posted:

Just to clarify, we're dealing with 3 dimensions. The X and Y resolution are nozzle dependent and the Z resolution is based on the layer thickness. I suspect most of those references are to layer thickness.

Not true- the minimum size of an extrusion might be nozzle dependent, but that does not mean that you can't put the outer edge of that extrusion at a very precise point (this is in fact I believe how the ultimaker achieves such high resolution despite still using 3mm plastic; it is very 'aware' of how far the plastic will bulge from the extruder once well tuned).

For example your extruder might only be able to lay down a .5mm tube of plastic, but because you have an extremely well tuned printer you can law down that tube of plastic with .02mm (20um) accuracy- you would therefore be able to print a ring with a 30cm radius, .5mm thick (minimum size tube of plastic you can lay down), that will over its entire circumference be off less then 40um (potentially 20um on one side, and 20um in the opposite direction on the other).

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Linux Assassin posted:

For example your extruder might only be able to lay down a .5mm tube of plastic, but because you have an extremely well tuned printer you can law down that tube of plastic with .02mm (20um) accuracy- you would therefore be able to print a ring with a 30cm radius, .5mm thick (minimum size tube of plastic you can lay down), that will over its entire circumference be off less then 40um (potentially 20um on one side, and 20um in the opposite direction on the other).
But you couldn't have .1mm raised script which is what I was talking about. I guess accuracy would get you smaller negative relief features in some cases but you would never be able to get positive features smaller than the nozzle itself.

"Print at .1mm" is a loaded statement, so you have to be very clear about what that means and what it doesn't mean. I guess I wasn't.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Linux Assassin posted:

Not true- the minimum size of an extrusion might be nozzle dependent, but that does not mean that you can't put the outer edge of that extrusion at a very precise point (this is in fact I believe how the ultimaker achieves such high resolution despite still using 3mm plastic; it is very 'aware' of how far the plastic will bulge from the extruder once well tuned).

I don't think they're talking about accuracy but resolution. I say this mainly because even basic cartesian CNC systems can achieve better than 0.1mm accuracy.

Obsurveyor posted:

But you couldn't have .1mm raised script which is what I was talking about. I guess accuracy would get you smaller negative relief features in some cases but you would never be able to get positive features smaller than the nozzle itself.

"Print at .1mm" is a loaded statement, so you have to be very clear about what that means and what it doesn't mean. I guess I wasn't.

yea, what he said ^

kafkasgoldfish fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 26, 2012

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Solidoodle2's price point was enough to finally make me take the plunge. I ordered the 'pro model' with the case and clear door (650 with shipping). The kid in me is excited about a toy that makes other toys.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just to be clear, they're not shipping yet are they? I have a bonus coming in a month that I promised I would waste on a toy for myself & with the USD->GBP exchange at the moment the solidoodle is perfect. I'm just not sure I'm comfortable letting them charge my CC & sitting back waiting on a nonexistent deadline.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
Makerbot news everyone. They've sold out of Thing-o-matic kits, and are no longer offering it for sale. It's Replicator or nothing now.

I'm sure you'd like to read the blog post about it yourself.

Obsurveyor posted:

This isn't exactly true, while the plastic is extruded out of a moving nozzle, it can stretch and thin.

I guess it goes back to exactly how you're defining smaller too, because a long thin individual strip of plastic would still be larger than the nozzle in one dimension, while being smaller in another.

You can also squish the layer of plastic being deposited to a thinner layer height than the nozzle opening. How far you can push this is still dependent on nozzle diameter.

Cakefool posted:

(Assuming they're talking layer height)

:aaa:?

People have been doing .1mm for a while. The real excitement is .04mm on a ultimaker.

There's also this set of people going down to around .02mm on an ultimaker again. The standard ultimaker nozzle is .4mm. No notes on different nozzles.

Or possibly .01mm on a prusa. The prusa doesn't note a special nozzle either, so there's a good chance it's just the standard .35mm nozzle that goes with it's kit.

I suppose it might be good for the price. It's been quite some time since I've comparison shopped on that angle.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's not just price, although it's a steal if it's reliable & works out the box, it's also the decent resolution (i know insane resolution is possible but the effort/reward ratio gets nuts) & buying an appliance, not a kit/hobby for the next 3 months. I want the fun & adventure of owning & using a printer, I don't want the fun & adventure of trying to get the damned thing running.

Any time I think "ooh, I could just print that (solution to this problem)" I've made a note, there's dozens of things I could print right away.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

Cakefool posted:

It's not just price, although it's a steal if it's reliable & works out the box, it's also the decent resolution (i know insane resolution is possible but the effort/reward ratio gets nuts) & buying an appliance, not a kit/hobby for the next 3 months. I want the fun & adventure of owning & using a printer, I don't want the fun & adventure of trying to get the damned thing running.

Any time I think "ooh, I could just print that (solution to this problem)" I've made a note, there's dozens of things I could print right away.

It's worth noting that right now my main issue is the software. It took me about 8 to assemble my Ultimaker and get to a print but I've been spending days now trying different apps because they all do it slightly differently and you get differing results. Not dissuading you from your Solidoodle but just pointing out that this style of 3d printer may not be at 'appliance' mode yet, I suspect there will be a healthy amount of tweaking involved even with the pre-built ones. Then again, I don't have a Solidoodle, maybe they've figured out all of those issues and deliver it with software that solves those problems for them... It's worth researching.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I got my Hadron ORD Bot kit up and printing this weekend:

The wiring is a bit of a mess until I have time to take it all apart, drill holes in the extrusions and hide it all. I am going to wait until I get some stuff out of it as-is though.

I am using IMPLA(impact modified PLA, it has rubber in it) and blue tape with an unheated bed. The springs make the bed wobble too much when this thing moves fast(and it can move really fast) so I need to replace those with standoffs. I also got some glass to put on top because PCBs aren't very flat by themselves. The trivase I printed came out pretty well but there is definitely some Z wobble from the solid couplings(they should have been flexible couplings-split style).

I got kind of lucky with this one. I still need to do a lot of tweaking for wider objects with longer perimeters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I have a question about the ABS plastic used in 3D printing, and that is: Are all abs plastics the same?

While looking around online I've seen spools of it called different things, 'natural abs' or 'abs filament' and so on. I've also seen price differences on what appears to me to be all the same.

Also where is a good place to order it online?