Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Saucepan Man posted:

I just realized that half of the citizens in this game don't wear pants. I thought it was a bug at the time, and now looking at the xbox footage the people of flotsam still don't wear pants. Have they ever said anything about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Saucepan Man posted:

I just realized that half of the citizens in this game don't wear pants. I thought it was a bug at the time, and now looking at the xbox footage the people of flotsam still don't wear pants. Have they ever said anything about this?

Apparently it was a bug but they never fixed it because it was too funny, which I definitely agree with.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

You try wearing heavy fabrics in a seaside swamp.

EDIT: "You have to understand a little something about medieval fashion to understand what's going on here. They didn't actually invent pants as we know them today till quite late. Until then, they wore those baggy shorts called Braies and would actually tie leggings called Chauses, one for each leg (which it became fashionable to mix and match so you often saw people with one blue legging and one red) on to them. They've simply neglected to tie their chauses on to their braies because they're simple folk. You can see the chauses properly tied on with some of the character models in the game, mostly noblemen. Though usually they would wear a tunic that was long enough to cover the bries."

–Via http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/no_pants

Beanpants fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 25, 2012

NewAge
Sep 6, 2008
So I bought the 360 version of this game because I can't run my PC copy, and holy poo poo CD Projekt owns. A neat little quest guide, a fold-out map, and a soundtrack CD for absolutely no extra charge. That's just really cool, and I can't wait to finally start playing this game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Beanpants posted:

You try wearing heavy fabrics in a seaside swamp.

EDIT: "You have to understand a little something about medieval fashion to understand what's going on here. They didn't actually invent pants as we know them today till quite late. Until then, they wore those baggy shorts called Braies and would actually tie leggings called Chauses, one for each leg (which it became fashionable to mix and match so you often saw people with one blue legging and one red) on to them. They've simply neglected to tie their chauses on to their braies because they're simple folk. You can see the chauses properly tied on with some of the character models in the game, mostly noblemen. Though usually they would wear a tunic that was long enough to cover the bries."

–Via http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/no_pants

So does this explanation make sense?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

badomen posted:

I'm in act 2 and I was doing a quest where you see a giant chicken and a forest of "mushrooms". Only they were not mushrooms, they were clearly dicks. A forest of dicks.

Dandelion's journal entry about this quest is pretty funny.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

NewAge posted:

So I bought the 360 version of this game because I can't run my PC copy, and holy poo poo CD Projekt owns. A neat little quest guide, a fold-out map, and a soundtrack CD for absolutely no extra charge. That's just really cool, and I can't wait to finally start playing this game.

Ya, CD Projekt is awesome. Even if I'm not that interested in their first non-Witcher game, I'll probably buy it, just because I got the first Witcher for $5, and the 2nd for $30 I think, and feel like they just deserve more of my money for the time and gameplay and extras I've gotten out of them.

Mr Asshat
Oct 28, 2005
Roche or Iorveth?
Who should i pick in terms of content, i have managed to avoid having any part of the plot of this game spoiled to me but i have heard that this choice has a pretty big influence on where you go in the game.
I am not big on replaying games, so i will not be playing through it again to pick another path.
I kind of like both characters and their motives so the morality part is just a coin toss, i just want to get as much as possible out of my playthrough.
So angry turban guy or elven scarface?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mr Asshat posted:

Roche or Iorveth?
Who should i pick in terms of content, i have managed to avoid having any part of the plot of this game spoiled to me but i have heard that this choice has a pretty big influence on where you go in the game.
I am not big on replaying games, so i will not be playing through it again to pick another path.
I kind of like both characters and their motives so the morality part is just a coin toss, i just want to get as much as possible out of my playthrough.
Both paths are awesome. Just go with your heart, man. Go with your heart.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
They're pretty much the same amount of content, but you're going to be missing out on huge parts of the story no matter which way you go. I think it was summarized well earlier in the thread: go for Iorveth if you want an lighter epic story, go for Roche if you want a darker grimmer story.

I know you already said you'd only play it once, but you're really missing out if you don't play both paths. They really are completely different, it's not just getting the same quests from different characters like most RPGs. Both sides need to be played or you're only getting half of the full picture.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Mr Asshat posted:

You should both paths are awesome and both contribute to the story in their own way. Just save right before the main choice (you get a very obvious quest which denotes this) and reload. Both sides are unique enough so that you shouldnt feel as if you are simply replaying the game, think of it as playing a new game entirely.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Where's the universal stash in henselt's camp?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Where's the universal stash in henselt's camp?
It's not in Henselt's camp. It's in the Camp Followers' camp. If I recall, it's by a dwarf merchant there.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
How screwed will I be if I don't bother investing anything in the swordsman skill beyond Riposte, dodge (whatever it is that increases roll distance)and Schemer? The Signs and Alchemy paths just sound like so much more fun.

Note I'm playing on hard.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Zebrasectomy posted:

How screwed will I be if I don't bother investing anything in the swordsman skill beyond Riposte, dodge (whatever it is that increases roll distance)and Schemer? The Signs and Alchemy paths just sound like so much more fun.

Note I'm playing on hard.

This question is asked on pretty much every page. Take whatever talents sound fun, they are all useful. You will not gimp yourself by mixing and matching. It's even in the original post:

quote:

Oh god look at all of these talents I don't know where to put them
There's no real wrong way to distribute talents. All of them are useful to some degree. A good start is to cover the basics, what seems like the stuff you absolutely cannot fight without; from the Witcher tree, you'll want the ability to throw daggers and to block arrows. The talent that gives you faster Vigor regeneration is worth putting two points in, as it will give you +1 Vigor, which is invaluable early game. From the swordsman path, riposte and one point in dodge roll (personally, I like putting two points in dodge roll). From the alchemy path, grab the talent that increases bomb and potion strength, and from the mage/sign path, more Vigor and upgraded Quen and Aard. That'll give you a good baseline of power. From there, it's up to you. Again, there's no wrong way to distribute talents.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Just finished my first playthrough of the EE on Dark Mode.

Ok, first off Dark Mode is not hard. It didn't feel any different than say, Normal mode and I never had a need for any of the Cursed equipment.

Disappointly, I think I stumbled onto one new quest in the last chapter. That is all.

My main criticisms include the fact that Poker was not improved (no higher bets, completely luck based, ect). I loved poker in the first game (spent so much time just playing that at night). Potions don't feel like they are necessary. Put a few points into dodging and Quen and you are good to go. Bombs are awesome and very effective with a few points put in them. I really don't see much use for some of the Adrenaline powers (basically all the top tier abilities in the trees). I didn't need any of them to get though. There are simply not enough monster types (were there even any insect-type enemies?) and the respective blade coatings don't feel nearly as effective. The Inventory menu is still loving terrible (giant font, Crafting menu is still not fixed (doesnt show your diagrams properly, ect).

Finally, there is simply too much equipment. Witcher 1 had, what, 3 armor sets? Here there are dozens and frankly, it makes them all kind of dull. Getting Raven's Armor was an adventure. Now it makes all those armors less "special". Same goes for swords - there are simply too many available - especially unique ones.

The combat, difficulty (still hard if you don't have a clue what to do, ect), setting, character design, plot and story make up for the complaints above.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Asshat posted:

Roche or Iorveth?

One path ends in more sex with elves/dwarves while the other path has more sex with humans.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Burns posted:

stuff

You're weird, dude. Half of what you say makes no sense at all to me. Dark mode is significantly more difficult, although it may not feel that way if you have all the practice of a previous play through. How do you feel that potions are not necessary? I've taken most of the alchemy talents so I'm kind of biased but if I don't use potions before a battle, I basically can't win. I get ~30% extra damage on top of whatever oil I use. The additional regen of vitality and vigor is invaluable. Off the top of my head, arachas and endrega are the only insectoids in the game.

Also, you basically listed the three best talents in the game as complaints about it being easy (dodging, Quen, and bombs).

I do agree about the lovely inventory and meaningless number of items. More creatures would be nice too. I have like 75 harpy claws because they're all over the place.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I still think this game needed more actual Witchering in it like the first one. The best parts of the first one were the times you had to research a specific type of monster, finding out its weaknesses and habitat and how best to approach it (strong or fast style?), then gong out to collect herbs and poo poo for the proper potions/oils, then methodically tracking the thing down and taking it out. There were only like 6 monster contracts in this whole game, and most of them you could forgo the research and just roll around spamming Quen as you swang at the thing.

Really missed the boat on that one, I had really hoped the EE would add a few new contracts with maybe a few new monsters specifically from them, but oh well.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

I still think this game needed more actual Witchering in it like the first one. The best parts of the first one were the times you had to research a specific type of monster, finding out its weaknesses and habitat and how best to approach it (strong or fast style?), then gong out to collect herbs and poo poo for the proper potions/oils, then methodically tracking the thing down and taking it out. There were only like 6 monster contracts in this whole game, and most of them you could forgo the research and just roll around spamming Quen as you swang at the thing.

Really missed the boat on that one, I had really hoped the EE would add a few new contracts with maybe a few new monsters specifically from them, but oh well.
I'd love a game where you get to create your own newbie Witcher, taking on monster contracts and being a total manslut like Geralt.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah one of the best things about Witcher and Witcher 2 are the elements that make them "witcher sims" and I wish they had more of it. I also really like it, for some reason, when the fact that it is Geralt's job to do this poo poo comes up in conversation, even when it's just people looking to him for professional advice on monsters.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sylphosaurus posted:

I'd love a game where you get to create your own newbie Witcher, taking on monster contracts and being a total manslut like Geralt.
Being manslut is a witcher tradition :)
"Remember also to hide lasses from him, for the witchman is lecherous beyond imagination"- from bestiary page for witcher
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/560940076116204607/0938B5321E2FA17052BF5566A47A028EA755F1D0/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Yeah one of the best things about Witcher and Witcher 2 are the elements that make them "witcher sims" and I wish they had more of it. I also really like it, for some reason, when the fact that it is Geralt's job to do this poo poo comes up in conversation, even when it's just people looking to him for professional advice on monsters.
Yeah, this is my favorite part of it. Also how a witcher never does anything for free and everyone knows that ahead of time. The people who don't get reminded with a slug to the gut.

Burns
May 10, 2008

pogothemonkey0 posted:

How do you feel that potions are not necessary? I've taken most of the alchemy talents so I'm kind of biased but if I don't use potions before a battle, I basically can't win. I get ~30% extra damage on top of whatever oil I use. The additional regen of vitality and vigor is invaluable. Off the top of my head, arachas and endrega are the only insectoids in the game.

Also, you basically listed the three best talents in the game as complaints about it being easy (dodging, Quen, and bombs).

Regarding potions: I find that they built the game far less around using potions than Witcher 1 where they were more important. Consider also that there are several points in the game like first fight with Letho, and the Spectral battle where you cant even use a potion. Point is that potions are more optional, and far less a necessity, even on higher levels.

Also I despise the Cat potion so much.

Regarding endrega and arachas: why are there two separate oils?

Regarding quen, dodging and bombs: I recall Quen being a completely defensive skill (your attacks would break the spell) to buy you some breathing room during a fight to take a potion or something. Given the perk trees its not like its a matter of one over the other.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

I just beat the beast, and I loved how obvious the difference was between when I was fighting something unknown, and something Geralt had an idea about. The beast when down almost immediately after applying the special oil, but those tentacle things gave me a bit more trouble. It's kind of obnoxious how you don't automatically pull your sword out until after you're attacked, though. It's killed me at least once.

Also I'm noticing a trend of everyone being an rear end in a top hat.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

I just beat the beast, and I loved how obvious the difference was between when I was fighting something unknown, and something Geralt had an idea about. The beast when down almost immediately after applying the special oil, but those tentacle things gave me a bit more trouble. It's kind of obnoxious how you don't automatically pull your sword out until after you're attacked, though. It's killed me at least once.

Also I'm noticing a trend of everyone being an rear end in a top hat.

If you're referring to the first game here are some fun facts:

The Beast: You can stun it with the Aard and proceed to do a finisher move on it. I think you don't even need to spend any talents on the sign although picking up the first stun upgrade wouldn't hurt.

Tentacles: If you're referring to the echinopsae keep in mind that they are plant-like creatures. Igni is great against them but the best tactic is to hit them with a torch which does a good amount of damage to them, incinerates them, and most importantly stuns them. You'll face them again in the Act II swamps and then an advanced version (archespores) in the Act III swamps so keep a torch handy.

As for everyone being an rear end in a top hat pretty much the only people you can count on being decent to you are Dandelion and Zoltan. Everyone else can eat a dick.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 26, 2012

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah, referring to the first. I figured out they were weak to ignis, but the first time I encountered them I didn't have it so I had to back off, chug a potion, then pick them off one by one (there were five). The combat still isn't that great, but I love that everything else about the game trivializes it through a bit of research and planning.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Increase Geralt's carry weight to 500 - It... well, increases Geralt's carry weight to 500. This is actually quite an easy edit to make. If another mod you downloaded has a geralt_basic.xml, you can change carry weight by editing a single line. Open up the xml and look for under # Various group:
code:
<max_weight mult="false" always_random="false" min="500" max="500"/>
and change the min and max to whatever number you wish. :madmax: Recommended! :madmax:

Um... Where do I put this? Under CookedPC? I'm not sure of the file structure for this.

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

Um... Where do I put this? Under CookedPC? I'm not sure of the file structure for this.

You go to CookedPC, make a folder called "abilities" and then put geralt_basic.xml in it. Then you can change that weight number however you like!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Mahuum Aqoha posted:

You go to CookedPC, make a folder called "abilities" and then put geralt_basic.xml in it. Then you can change that weight number however you like!

Great, thank you!

I originally planned not to use it but that feeling didn't last long. This really is a must for playthroughs.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Just started Chapter 2 in my second play through (first play through was Roche's path, after it first came out), going Iorveth's path this time.

I messed around in Flotsam in chapter 1 to try to do the blashpemer's set, and eventually just gave up. I could have gotten there eventually, arm wrestling and crafting and harvesting, but it was taking forever. My main worry was Letho, because I had a problem with him on normal my first playthrough. However, this time in dark mode, killed him first try. Part of that may be because I'm making and using a lot more bombs, and just fighting a lot "cheaper" this time around (which is to say, more like a real witcher).

Is the oathbreaker's armor set any easier to come by in chapter 2? And is it worth it?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How does "Taster" work? Are you still limited by the toxicity amount but can suddenly drink 4 potions instead of three? Or does it increase your Toxicity cap too?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
How do I do a counter attack? I was able to do one in the tutorial, but now I can't. :(

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Burns posted:

Regarding potions: I find that they built the game far less around using potions than Witcher 1 where they were more important.

Really? You dont really need to use any potions in Witcher 1 save for swallow and maybe cat, and using the more advanced potions trivializes an already easy game.

Capsaicin posted:

How do I do a counter attack? I was able to do one in the tutorial, but now I can't. :(

You need the sword skill riposte, you get it in the tutorial but you dont start the game with it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Capsaicin posted:

You have to have the Riposte upgrade in the Swordsman path.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

How does "Taster" work? Are you still limited by the toxicity amount but can suddenly drink 4 potions instead of three? Or does it increase your Toxicity cap too?

The toxicity cap doesn't increase, but if you go whole hog into Alchemy, it pays to be poisoned going into combat due to the buffs you get for it. My poisoned Geralt is a wrecking ball, especially when he hits mutant mode.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Burns posted:

Regarding endrega and arachas: why are there two separate oils?
Insectoid oil increases damage to endrega and arachas. Arachnid oil poisons your sword.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Is there like an "auto-mulligan" for dice poker?

I just lost like four in a row to that Dwarf in Vergen who has the spearhead that's needed to lift the Ghost Mist - gently caress whoever decided to make if mandatory to play him, lost like four games in a row because I have no idea what I'm doing, and then on the fifth game I got an "Opponent has resigned" message and won.

On another note, gently caress dice poker. I don't even like real poker, why the gently caress would I like it with dice?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
If you roll much better in the first round than your opponent, they may just resign instead of betting more. You just got lucky with your roll.

I don't mind dice poker, but I hate the design of the dice in the second game. It makes it really hard to tell at a glance what I've rolled. I know there's probably a mod to fix it, but I keep forgetting to look. It's pretty silly that you can roll dice off the board now too, that was kind of a pointless addition.

I think it's pretty dumb that characters in both games have always treated it as a test of skill and cunning, though. It's pure luck, and you can't even bluff since you can view your opponent's dice the entire time.

Jokymi fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

The test is to see how well you can cheat, and that requires skill and cunning. Unfortunately, Geralt sucks balls at cheating. Somebody mod in the ability to "Axii: I won the dice game, now give me your orens/mcguffin"

• Locked thread