Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
crosspost: I've stuck a bunch of Legos and other stuff for sale in SA-Mart.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481185

Joramun posted:

This...kinda bums me out. I love the zombie bride and groom, but I was hoping for more zombies in the set, or rather, at least some generic ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And can they stop putting those flick missile things on every vehicle, please?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Travis343 posted:

It's a mausoleum with crypts. I guess it got built up as a "graveyard" set but just on its own merits it's a great looking set.

It's a ridiculously cool line. Obviously the villains are awesome but the good guys hit just the right notes of old movie references and over-the-top parody and every single set looks like a ton of fun. I'm sorry if you don't see that car and want it to drag race with the hot rod hearse from the Dracula set. Personally I'm more excited for Monster Fighters than any other theme for years.

I just want to add an awesome Lego wing to my Halloween village. It seems like every lego set I want anymore I really only want half of it. I bought the Twoface set just for the (loving awesome) Batmobile and the rest just sits in a box. That's whats gonna happen with most of the "Good Guy" stuff from this series. Despite my bitching I'm more excited about this theme than I have been about any others. I just wish every lego set ever anymore wasn't a "battle box"

rickiep00h posted:

But but but where's the conflict and the stories?!
I know in the parent market "battle boxes" sell better, but I would have no qualms about buying every monster set day one if I didn't have the "heros" mixed in there. I supose either way I'm gonna end up buying about half the sets(until the ones I don't buy early get clearanced). So lego isn't out anything.

And also Conflict? They're monsters. They would have way more awesome conflict with any other lego theme out there. City? overrun with zombies. Forrest police? Werewolf attacks and now the cheif has to slay him before the first full moon or become a werewolf himself. Mars mission? Have you met my mad scientist. Castle? Well, who better to to storm Dracula's castle than a mob of villagers and knights?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 26, 2012

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

Seriously. THey don't even really work all that well, and it's getting really tired. It doesn't even take effort. It's the same five pieces wedged into a hole somewhere on the top.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

The_Doctor posted:

Reminds me of those giant spring-loaded missile launchers they packaged with every GIJoe toward the end of the line in the '90s. Thought they were cool when I was 10; in retrospect they're pretty awful.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

When is the Lego store in Alderwood starting the application process? I still can't find them on the website, unless there's some process I'm missing.

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

The_Doctor posted:

as I understand it kids who playtest sets constantly demand flick missiles :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Flick missiles make for excellent joints for small scale mecha MOCs. I have no problem with their inclusion, just don't put them on if you hate them so.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

7thBatallion posted:

When is the Lego store in Alderwood starting the application process? I still can't find them on the website, unless there's some process I'm missing.

Next time you're in the Bellevue store, just fill out an application.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

youareoffthehook posted:

Next time you're in the Bellevue store, just fill out an application.

I thought all the apps were online. Well, I'll be there Monday, I have a few other stops before you guys.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I finally bit the bullet and bought the huge Shuttle set before it went out of stock. Took me about 4 hours, but drat is it gorgeous. My only complaint is with the generic Lego stickers. I saw someone on ebay selling custom NASA stickers, but they misspelled Endeavour. Anyone know where I can get accurate stickers?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I finally bit the bullet and bought the huge Shuttle set before it went out of stock. Took me about 4 hours, but drat is it gorgeous. My only complaint is with the generic Lego stickers. I saw someone on ebay selling custom NASA stickers, but they misspelled Endeavour. Anyone know where I can get accurate stickers?

There are instructions on how to make custom minifig shirts earlier in the thread. I don't see why that wouldn't work for larger bits. Never done it myself, could be wrong.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Flick missiles make for excellent joints for small scale mecha MOCs. I have no problem with their inclusion, just don't put them on if you hate them so.

Yeah, at least they stand out to such a degree you can just remove them without lessening the design of the set.

I wonder if Monster Fighters will be replacing the standard space/sci-fi theme this year? The theme seems more extensive than Pharaoh's Quest. Space Police III was replaced immediately by Alien Conquest, wasn't it?

E: spelling

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 26, 2012

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My girlfriend owes me a set and I'm debating either getting that one or the X-Wing and the Tie Fighter. Dammit, don't make me choose :(

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Boondock Saint posted:

My girlfriend owes me a set and I'm debating either getting that one or the X-Wing and the Tie Fighter. Dammit, don't make me choose :(

Buy Tie Fighter, build this for your X-Wing.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Someone at Reddit posted this link:
code:
http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/SETNUMBER?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png
Replace SETNUMBER with a current setnumber and open it. It gives you huge rear end photos of sets in the store. Like this one: http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/10225?hei=10000&wid=10000&fit=constrain,0&fmt=png

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't know why, but I loathe that UCS R2D2's head design. The rest is fine, but that head...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know why, but I loathe that UCS R2D2's head design. The rest is fine, but that head...

Well, it's a really slick model until you get up to the head and BANG all square angles and millions of studs. I can understand not wanting to use a lot of giant molded curve pieces but they at least could have stuck a bunch of cheese wedges up there to round it out or something (also because cheese wedges.)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Captain Invictus posted:

It's the utter disregard for SNOT. Makes his head look like it's festered with pustules. I really don't understand how they could have signed off on this design, it simply looks unfinished.

Dorsal Penis
Apr 8, 2010
I can't remember if I stumbled on this video myself or was linked to it from this thread. It's a chat with the designers of that R2D2 model, its all fairly dull, but the last 30 seconds or so suggests a bit of internal tension. Maybe this distracted them from R2's bumpy noggin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCjdi8phSc

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Captain Invictus posted:

This...kinda bums me out. I love the zombie bride and groom, but I was hoping for more zombies in the set, or rather, at least some generic ones.
Better look at the bride:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bad news, The Winchester didn't pass the Lego Jury test :(

Back to the Future is almost at 10k though :dance:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Kazy posted:

Bad news, The Winchester didn't pass the Lego Jury test :(

I hope the old west modulars get up to 10k, I think they've got a better shot at it. Heck, if Back to the Future makes it, you could have 1950s, 1980s, future AND old west town sets to go along with the Deloreans.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If we're talking about Cuusoo, the EVE Rifter hit 10k.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dorsal Penis posted:

I can't remember if I stumbled on this video myself or was linked to it from this thread. It's a chat with the designers of that R2D2 model, its all fairly dull, but the last 30 seconds or so suggests a bit of internal tension. Maybe this distracted them from R2's bumpy noggin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCjdi8phSc
Yo do know they're joking with that "tension" gag, right?

Dorsal Penis
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Yo do know they're joking with that "tension" gag, right?

No I did not. That is some hilarious japery from the lego crew there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does seem like they concentrated more on the functions than the looks though.

Surprising since a dome seems like old hat SNOT nowadays. Do the central cross with normal slopes, then have the corner pieces be separate assemblies that stick on.

On the Cusoo front:

Kazy posted:

I am not a huge fan of that Delorean. It seems very 90s style LEGO. Too bad, it's a neat concept for a bunch of sets.

This Eve Online ship hit 10k too, just today. Another "maybe if we get the license for free" thing:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

This Apple store has an adorable Steve and Woz, although it would only get made if it was not actually Apple:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10142

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 26, 2012

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

The_Doctor posted:

They are fairly easy to build out of models and I have been doing it for a while, I don't feel the need for them on most models and they look out of place. The new Y-wing and TIE fighter flickfires aren't bad, just change the trans yellow on the Y-wing for trans red or the solid red you get for the bombs and it looks like it belongs.

The parts for the flick missles are great and have enough uses I don't dislike the part, it is now more surprise to have a set without them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

ZarathustraFollower posted:

So, I moved into my dad's old house, and while trying to find space for clothes, I stumbled across something.

I figure I'll remind my dad about it once my nephew is old enough to like trains and lego. Need to get them started young.
I had this train! Fuuck I'd love to have that again. I don't know what happened to it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
And no one posts this? http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11147

UCS Lightsaber idea.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
It has been a few months since I used legos online PAB, and when did they start giving VIP points on those orders? I must of missed it but hey more points.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

smackfu posted:

This Eve Online ship hit 10k too, just today. Another "maybe if we get the license for free" thing:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

This seems possible, considering one of the EVE Devs has been plugging it on their website.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah the impression I get is that they'll basically hand Lego whatever license is necessary on a silver platter.

It's a good match, but they do need to change the color. Fuckers are brown in the game.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Torael_7 posted:

It's a good match, but they do need to change the color. Fuckers are brown in the game.
Do they use the actual submitted model for Cusoo stuff, or just use it as "inspiration" for the real LEGO designer?

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

smackfu posted:

Do they use the actual submitted model for Cusoo stuff, or just use it as "inspiration" for the real LEGO designer?

I think in this case it would have to be inspiration, those wings would be too flimsy for it to become a set without modification, plus any pieces that Lego doesn't currently produce would have to be substituted. The minecraft thing is a good example, what was on the Cuusoo page didn't make a direct transition into a Lego set.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Packing up all your lego sucks! While I dismantled what I could and put it back into the boxes it would take me ages to take apart the big technic sets I have. I just cut up cardboard and made my own boxes for a few of them to pack them best I could. I am kinda glad since my last move I didn't put back together my UCS star destroy or death star.

Turning the basement into a lego room is by far the highlight of buying a house even if I get weird looks from people. I have got a rough idea of what my build area is going to be like, as is my brick storage plans for MOC's. The basement is L shaped and the longest part is 11x24 and the part beside it is 10x12 which is where I plan to put my build desk and put a wall unit in for storage bins. It will be nice to be able to assemble a lot of my sets and have them out instead of in there box because I don't have room.

First set to be built in the new house, Model Team Jeep 5510 as that was the first set my brother got and I was able to play with. Then the UCS Falcon. I have been waiting 2 years to have room to put it and it is still sealed in its lego packing box.

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
I've had so little time to work on my Timberwolf, it's just taking forever. I come to this thread, again, looking for advice. The ankle and hip joints are going to be strong as hell, but I'm not sold on the knees. Currently using these things, of which I have none. First, what angles do they lock at? Second, assuming that the torso is mostly not hollow, do two of them stand a good chance of being able to support the weight?

Just for fun, I was looking through my old LDD mocs folder for a technique I used once, and found the first thing I ever posted in these threads. What a difference three years makes!

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

afflictionwisp posted:

I've had so little time to work on my Timberwolf, it's just taking forever. I come to this thread, again, looking for advice. The ankle and hip joints are going to be strong as hell, but I'm not sold on the knees. Currently using these things, of which I have none. First, what angles do they lock at? Second, assuming that the torso is mostly not hollow, do two of them stand a good chance of being able to support the weight?

Those will work perfect for the joint, they lock at a huge range of angles and can hold a ton of weight.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
If you have two of them per leg, it would probably hold as long as the leg is pretty straight. But with that sort of always-bent position, there's gonna be a lot of leverage on the joint and it'll want to collapse easily. If you can work in 3 per leg it'll stand a better chance I think. You could also work in a few of those technic extensions, though they'll stand out and not be very accurate. Hell if you wanted, you could give me an approximate piece count of the torso and I could mock it up for you to see how it holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
Definatly need two to hold that torso. I don't know how much function you want but maybe you could put in a stop so it won't be allowed to go past a certain point and modify one on each lego for the differnet angles and just make them slide out if possible.

Depends really how much you play with it, there was a lego atat that used them but 4 legs and it might of weighed less.

LDD is great, but sometimes you need to try it out in brick to see how much you can get away with the hinges.