Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I actually put money down to pre-order the EVGA GTX 680 at NCIX. I also asked for autonotify for all brands of the card at NewEgg for when they are no longer "Out of Stock". This all happened March 28th.

At this point, I refuse to believe this card actually exists.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Geforce: Unicorn would be better than GTX 680 anyway.
Would make every buyer feel special!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

kuddles posted:

I actually put money down to pre-order the EVGA GTX 680 at NCIX. I also asked for autonotify for all brands of the card at NewEgg for when they are no longer "Out of Stock". This all happened March 28th.

I actually saw one at Fry's a few weeks ago. I got mine through the EVGA Step-Up program, so they do exist, however rare they are online.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

mayodreams posted:

I actually saw one at Fry's a few weeks ago. I got mine through the EVGA Step-Up program, so they do exist, however rare they are online.

The entire first allotment is the hands of [H] users in doubleplusgood SLI setups.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

mayodreams posted:

I wish I could have stepped up to this. I always have in the back of my mind "maybe EVGA will release something killer awesome and I can step-up" as part of my reason for buying, as I'm sure marketers intend, but the timing never works out for me.

Oh well, 580 hanging in there for now (which is a bit of an understatement; I mean it's no 680 but still) and it turns out babies are expensive BUT very time consuming and videogames just aren't going to be a thing for awhile!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Agreed posted:

I wish I could have stepped up to this. I always have in the back of my mind "maybe EVGA will release something killer awesome and I can step-up" as part of my reason for buying, as I'm sure marketers intend, but the timing never works out for me.

Oh well, 580 hanging in there for now (which is a bit of an understatement; I mean it's no 680 but still) and it turns out babies are expensive BUT very time consuming and videogames just aren't going to be a thing for awhile!

My launch day 5870 died a couple of months ago, and I bought a 560 TI 448 Core knowing Kepler was imminent, so I bought an EVGA for the Trade Up program. It worked out nicely aside from using Sandy Bridge graphics during the time I sent my card in and I got the 680.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Is a Sapphire 7950 OC edition going to be capable of running BF3 at 1920x1080 at ultra quality around 60FPS? I likely won't be using AA or anything like that.

Has AMD gotten their act together in regards to BF3?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Looks like it, in this Anandtech review it runs at 66FPS with FXAA but no MSAA.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Is there any videocard that is worth upgrading to from the 6850? In BF3 on High at 1280x1024 I get around 45FPS, which is mildly annoying. But I don't know if the cost of an upgrade is worth it.

On High you're getting this on that resolution? I ran BF3 on High at 1920x1080 and got ~35-40 FPS. :psyduck:

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Is there some reason why my A8-3500M is not allowed to have it's full 1500mhz when plugged in?

EDIT: I checked in CPU-Z and it is actually going to 1500mhz, so I guess it is just AMD's software being silly?

owls or something fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 22, 2012

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ornery owl posted:

EDIT: I checked in CPU-Z and it is actually going to 1500mhz, so I guess it is just AMD's software being silly?
That would be my guess. I also have an A8-3500M and getting working, up to date drivers for it has always been a pain. I was actually surprised when the 12.3 Catalyst drivers installed a few days ago. The 12.3 pre-release blue screened Windows, 12.2 would get stuck during installation, and 12.1 wouldn't install the graphics driver. The only driver I was able to get working for the longest time was the 12.1a driver. The only reason I tried to install 12.3 was because my previous driver corrupted and wouldn't launch.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
AMD is officially moving the Radeon HD 2000, HD 3000, and HD 4000 series to legacy status as of Catalyst 12.5, meaning only quarterly driver updates for bug fixes. There will be no official Windows 8 driver, though the Catalyst Legacy drivers should install and work. I'd like to complain about this, but my Radeon HD 4850 finally reached the point where it won't run new games at 1080p even on the lowest settings, so it's clear the time has come. The Radeon HD 7770 1GB is a pretty compelling value too, especially overclocked.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 24, 2012

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Hardware.fr has a pretty decent look at the incoming mobile graphics cards coming in. I'll be pretty impressed and happy if they manage to get the same improvements from the desktop versions fully into the mobile versions.
EDIT: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5778/amd-launches-radeon-7700m-7800m-and-7900m-mobile-gpus/1
Anandtech chimes in.

is that good fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 24, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Alereon posted:

AMD is officially moving the Radeon HD 2000, HD 3000, and HD 4000 series to legacy status as of Catalyst 12.5, meaning only quarterly driver updates for bug fixes. There will be no official Windows 8 driver, though the Catalyst Legacy drivers should install and work. I'd like to complain about this, but my Radeon HD 4850 finally reached the point where it won't run new games at 1080p even on the lowest settings, so it's clear the time has come. The Radeon HD 7770 1GB is a pretty compelling value too, especially overclocked.

That is a bit of a dick move though, 4xxx series cards are still more than usable. Anyone who still has a 4870 X2 or 4890 CF will not be very pleased. I can understand the 2000 and 3000, but 4000 series is kind of AMDs revival moment in the graphics card market.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

HalloKitty posted:

That is a bit of a dick move though, 4xxx series cards are still more than usable. Anyone who still has a 4870 X2 or 4890 CF will not be very pleased. I can understand the 2000 and 3000, but 4000 series is kind of AMDs revival moment in the graphics card market.

I think 4 years is more than enough.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My HD4850 plays Skyrim just fine at 1900x1200 and I don't have any plans to upgrade anytime soon. If there's no official Windows 8 support, I may as well switch loyalties to a vendor that won't gently caress me over the next time.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Please tell me how you are hosed over? What was in the last driver release that applied to your card?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I can understand no longer offering driver support in terms of performance enhancements, etc., but it seems odd that they won't even provide official drivers for Windows 8 at the very least.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Rawrbomb posted:

I think 4 years is more than enough.

No, I disagree. The Xbox 360 hit the market in 2005 and we're still stuck with Xbox 360 quality models and graphics. Sure you can push things higher by adding effects, running at higher resolutions and so on, but the point remains that for many: the 4xxx series is not obsolete.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

No, I disagree. The Xbox 360 hit the market in 2005 and we're still stuck with Xbox 360 quality models and graphics. Sure you can push things higher by adding effects, running at higher resolutions and so on, but the point remains that for many: the 4xxx series is not obsolete.

That's why businesses do this. It's called planned obsolescence. Totally not unique to AMD/ATI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

KillHour posted:

That's why businesses do this. It's called planned obsolescence. Totally not unique to AMD/ATI.

I'm aware of that, but I'm saying we shouldn't accept it as being the correct practice, or even become so deluded as to actually agree with the things we already paid for being forced into uselessness as a good thing.

v It isn't a big deal, I don't actually run one, I have a Radeon 6950.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

HalloKitty posted:

You're still going to get support for it (just less so) quarterly, and it still works on the OS's it was designed for at the time without a problem.

I don't see the big deal.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rawrbomb posted:

You're still going to get support for it (just less so) quarterly, and it still works on the OS's it was designed for at the time without a problem.

I don't see the big deal.
And it'll still probably work with Windows 8 since the legacy drivers will load in Win 8 and will most likely be completely built into Win8

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
AMD has launched the Radeon HD 7000M-series for laptops. They're significantly better than anything nVidia has to offer, which will be the case until nVidia can release Kepler-based mobile cards. The improvements in idle power usage for the Radeon HD 7000-series should be pretty meaningful in the mobile realm.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I would sincerely hope that AMD would at least provide an official windows 8 driver for the 4000 series. My 4850 still provides more than enough power for the PC games I play.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

adorai posted:

I would sincerely hope that AMD would at least provide an official windows 8 driver for the 4000 series. My 4850 still provides more than enough power for the PC games I play.
Windows Display Driver Model 1.2, which Windows 8 uses, requires a DirectX11 videocard. You can use old WDDM 1.1 or 1.0 drivers, such as the Catalyst Legacy drivers, but I don't think you're allowed to claim official support or use a Windows logo and such. I think this reflects the fact that there isn't going to be much that AMD can do to make old VLIW5 cards work better, and it's unlikely people are going to want to play the nest games on such old hardware, so dropping back to quarterly bugfix drivers and focusing their efforts on improving things for GCN makes the most sense.

It's possible we might even see a community maintained version that ports changes from newer drivers, since AMD needs to maintain their VLIW5 drivers for the 5000 and <6900-series.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Alereon posted:

Windows Display Driver Model 1.2, which Windows 8 uses, requires a DirectX11 videocard.

Doesn't Windows 8 render Metro using directx 9? I thought I read about them doing that so Intel graphics would work well on the inevitable Atom tablets coming out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Maxwell Adams posted:

Doesn't Windows 8 render Metro using directx 9? I thought I read about them doing that so Intel graphics would work well on the inevitable Atom tablets coming out.

Ivy Bridge's GPU is DX11, but Sandy Bridge is not (DX10.1).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

My HD4850 plays Skyrim just fine at 1900x1200 and I don't have any plans to upgrade anytime soon. If there's no official Windows 8 support, I may as well switch loyalties to a vendor that won't gently caress me over the next time.
This, basically. I don't understand what's so hard about understanding that when you have this kind of support history people aren't going to trust/buy your stuff.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
As mentioned, only DX11 parts can be certified for Windows 8. The drivers *should* work, but there can't be *official* drivers. Folks using HD 2000/3000 Intel graphics will be in the same position. Go blame Microsoft.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Misogynist posted:

You should probably wait to see if you actually have any problems before reacting. I run Windows 8's preview with a 4850 and even with the hacked-together beta drivers it does everything fine (including 1080p high-detail Skyrim) except for occasional bluescreens when a lot is going on in Witcher 2 and locked-in 7% underscan because I can't launch the Catalyst Control Center. I really can't conceive of the production drivers being worse.

Completely unrelated but I don't think there's an Nvidia thread - has anyone seen their 600-series low end lineup? I'm starting to think the GPU manufacturers are just trolling everyone with the names, since there are three different cards called the GT 640 and the chips in them aren't even all the same architecture.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 25, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I have a pair of 5850s so compatibility is fine, but I'm not presently sold on why I would upgrade an existing desktop to Windows 8 in the first place. So I'm not quite sure what the big problem is.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

Completely unrelated but I don't think there's an Nvidia thread - has anyone seen their 600-series low end lineup? I'm starting to think the GPU manufacturers are just trolling everyone with the names, since there are three different cards called the GT 640 and the chips in them aren't even all the same architecture.

Absurd and confusing naming conventions is really par for the course for NVIDIA. The Geforce GT 555M had five different variations with differing clock speeds, number of cores, memory bus size, and memory type. :psyduck:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-555M.41933.0.html

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

evil_bunnY posted:

This, basically. I don't understand what's so hard about understanding that when you have this kind of support history people aren't going to trust/buy your stuff.
I used to be a Linux user and I was a longtime nVidia guy because of all the poo poo ATI used to pull with drivers on that platform. I'm really not looking forward to mystery-meat driver hell again on the Windows side, but I'm probably overreacting and the stuff will probably work fine. I've had enough problems with the 12.x series Catalyst drivers tanking my system that I won't be upgrading from 11.x for months/years anyway.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I really don't understand nvidia's naming. Seriously, how do they come up with stuff like that? Why would they name 3 totally different cards the same name? I almost always understand AMD's naming system, but nvidia's is just stupid

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

MeramJert posted:

I really don't understand nvidia's naming. Seriously, how do they come up with stuff like that? Why would they name 3 totally different cards the same name? I almost always understand AMD's naming system, but nvidia's is just stupid

Then you'll love this! http://www.anandtech.com/show/5784/nvidia-updates-geforce-600-oem-desktop-lineup-adds-gt-645-gt-640-gt-630

More rebranding abound.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

MeramJert posted:

Why would they name 3 totally different cards the same name?

This way OEMs can make users think their getting the newer, faster Kepler card but without using too much of the limited 28nm TSMC supply (or clear out 40nm stocks, once there's enough 28nm production), I suppose.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

kuddles posted:

Check out the Now In Stock tracker for it. Dudes in the part picking megathread (and myself) have been getting their 680's from the information there. If you enable the little alarm it'll go off when there's stock available.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

I feel so sorry for the dude that just wants to make his COD game play better and stares at the wall of video cards in Best Buy. If you're not thoroughly researching and following this stuff, it's utterly mind numbing. I suppose you can always make the connection that Higher $$ = more better, but the consumer seems to be the enemy of video card marketers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Civil posted:

I feel so sorry for the dude that just wants to make his COD game play better and stares at the wall of video cards in Best Buy. If you're not thoroughly researching and following this stuff, it's utterly mind numbing. I suppose you can always make the connection that Higher $$ = more better, but the consumer seems to be the enemy of video card marketers.
You don't have to worry about that person cause most Best Buy's only stock 1 or 2 different types of videocards so he won't get too confused.

• Locked thread