Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Oh my loving god they have Theme Hospital, thank you thread title for letting me know about this incredible fact :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I wonder what the thread title will be for TIE Fighter, when that time comes (please come)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Mordaedil posted:

I wonder what the thread title will be for TIE Fighter, when that time comes (please come)
"Gog.com - It was very lonely at the Yavin front, Alpha 1"

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mordaedil posted:

GoG.com - Lower your rear shields for motherfuckin' TIE Fightehahahaha just kidding enjoy Daikatana

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

duckfarts posted:

GoG.com - Lower your rear shields for motherfuckin' TIE Fightehahahaha just kidding enjoy Daikatana

If they actually released Daikatana I think it would be a bestseller for them. They should do it for April fools next year.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

GamersGate actually has Daikatana. Someone informed me it was even on sale a few days ago!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mordaedil posted:

GOG.com - Why are you still playing games when there's an apocalypse going on?

Why, Lucasarts, why won't you put your games on a service as lovely as this? :smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Why, Lucasarts, why won't you put your games on a service as lovely as this? :smith:
And the best part is that GOG would likely do the superior DOS release over the crappy Win95 version. I'd love to get all the extras again like the keyboard reference card, manual, etc.

For now I'll just stick to playing it in Boxer.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

And the best part is that GOG would likely do the superior DOS release over the crappy Win95 version. I'd love to get all the extras again like the keyboard reference card, manual, etc.

Wait, what exactly made the DOS version better? I know the dynamic MIDI music was in some ways superior to the CD audio the Win95 version did, but the Win95 version used an updated graphics engine which looked way better.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Windows 95 version was also missing content (cutscenes, mostly) that left the DOS Collector's Edition as the most complete version of the game. Also iMuse was vastly superior to the redbook audio.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The DOS version isn't missing much, but good lord I'll take DOSBox emulation over a hacked/whacked/smacked Win95 to Win7 act any day.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For now I'll just stick to playing it in Boxer.

Holy gently caress seeing that cockpit is like a nostalgia H-bomb. I'm gonna be one of those people on gog who sees a game goes up and instantly gives it 5 stars with a glowing review along the lines of "I loved this game when I was a child!!!"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

scamtank posted:

The DOS version isn't missing much, but good lord I'll take DOSBox emulation over a hacked/whacked/smacked Win95 to Win7 act any day.

I've run the Win95 version on Win7 x64 with no issues. It wouldn't need any tweaking (or if it does, not much).

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know how that's possible. LucasArts did release an official patch to make it run nicely in XP+ though. 3D acceleration and joystick support were busted without it.

Yeah, on one hand I much prefer the textured Windows version graphics. The music is just god-awful though ... a cool novelty for about 5 minutes, then you realise it's just the same loop over and over and over and over.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

sethsez posted:

Ha, my DotEmu games are all gone too. I've got them backed up but still, that's pretty awful.

I'm going through the same problem too. Some games (6) are missing from my account, did you send a message to support? I see a couple of people posting in the forums with this problem and they both had quick fixes.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Of all of GOG.com's offerings, I think Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the best game for surreptitiously loving off while at work.

-Windows-native, and runs on every single version from Win95 through to 64-bit Win7.
-Plays nicely in a window, stays nice and sharp
-Turn-based

Yeah I don't like my job and am on the verge of quitting.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mordaedil posted:

Gamma 1 is the Emperor's stool-pigeon!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

GrandpaPants posted:

GOG.com - Why are you still playing games when there's an apocalypse going on?

I feel like it's only a matter of time at this point.

I mean they got EA so I mean LA can't be THAT much harder to obtain, can it?

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

teethgrinder posted:

Of all of GOG.com's offerings, I think Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic is the best game for surreptitiously loving off while at work.

-Windows-native, and runs on every single version from Win95 through to 64-bit Win7.
-Turn-based

Wishlisted this because of your review. Are the story campaigns in the older games from the series any worth it? The graphics seem alright and the screenshots show some pretty neat stuff going on, if there's a fun story in there worth following then I might pick those up too.

I also picked up Screamer because of someone else here who gave it a short review. It's a pretty fun racer and there's only 4 keys to map so you can play it with just one hand on WASD or whatever so it's a great laptop game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

To be honest, I've never played the campaigns. I just love playing the Master of Magic-like random scenario generator which only exists in Shadow Magic. The latest fan patches have done a lot to improve it too. (I'm using the big 1.4 patch + MP Evolution 1.5)

The aesthetics and MOD music in Age of Wonders 1 are really cool, but it's a DOS game if I remember correctly.

edit: there are a lot of options which are pretty self-explanatory, but it gives you a lot of control over the type of game you're going to play.

The thing to look out for, one of the defaults is "simultaneous turns" ... you definitely need to change it to turn-based if you want to play a more classic-style game.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 25, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Boondock Saint posted:

I feel like it's only a matter of time at this point.

I mean they got EA so I mean LA can't be THAT much harder to obtain, can it?

Who knows. I don't think Lucasarts even knows what Lucasarts is doing at this point. Mostly just hammering at that Star Wars prequel cash cow until even the kids who grew up with it get sick of it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

-Turn-based

It works great in Wine, too. It's my go-to laptop-loving-around game when I'm not playing something else.

As for the campaigns, I've had fun with the AoW:SM campaigns but you can kind of derail them by spending the first mission in each "arc" researching everything and crafting all kinds of crazy gear in your magical foundries which then carries over to the next mission and then you start the mission with two fully kitted supercombatants that can tank entire armies and walk through walls and welp.

On the other hand it's still fun even when you do that, and if you aren't a compulsive turtle like me you probably won't have that problem anyways.

I haven't played pre-SM, and honestly, between the campaigns, the scenarios, and the random map generator, I probably never will. There's a lot of content here.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

teethgrinder posted:

-Turn-based

You're the devil. I've thought about doing this with AoW and HoMM3, but now you're pushed me a bit too far. I need to stay strong...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Al! posted:

Who knows. I don't think Lucasarts even knows what Lucasarts is doing at this point. Mostly just hammering at that Star Wars prequel cash cow until even the kids who grew up with it get sick of it.

I'm still optimistic. There was a goon a few years back who worked on nothing but bringing older LA titles to Steam (Summer 2009, like right after GOG started up) and he made a few posts about it. I believe he was laid off unfortunately.

The good news though, is that GOG pretty much does all of the optimization and porting themselves, which pretty much relieves LA of the heavy lifting it would have had to do in order to bring more titles to Steam. So I seriously feel like it's only a matter of time.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Today's release will be a bit late.

From #GOG IRC:

<+TheEnigmaticT> We seriously were contacted 15 minutes ago and told that one of today's releases the publisher is somewhat unsure if they have digital distribution rights. -_-

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Blodskur posted:

Today's release will be a bit late.

From #GOG IRC:

<+TheEnigmaticT> We seriously were contacted 15 minutes ago and told that one of today's releases the publisher is somewhat unsure if they have digital distribution rights. -_-
system shock 2

member001
Feb 19, 2011
I find myself buying all of these games just for the soundtrack.
Total Annihilation, Age of Wonders, Ground Control etc.

Definitely cheaper than buying it on Itunes though.

Duckfarts, why do you have to rip my heart like that?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Gehenomm posted:

I'm going through the same problem too. Some games (6) are missing from my account, did you send a message to support? I see a couple of people posting in the forums with this problem and they both had quick fixes.

Yeah, they just added the games back to my account. By which I mean they're all back and say I purchased them yesterday. :v:

Oh well, at least they took care of it quickly. Also mentioned something about a site relaunch, which could have something to do with it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

duckfarts posted:

system shock 2
If that happens to be the case:
Gog.com - Not bad... for a pathetic insect.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

duckfarts posted:

system shock 2

They (EA) already know they don't have distribution rights for that. Half of the IP is tied up with some insurance company.

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.
I'm pretty sure they were meant to be releasing Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain today. They tweeted this yesterday:

GOG.com posted:

Feast upon the blood of man tomorrow @gogcom!
Which seems to be a direct quote from the plot of the game, judging by what Google found.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

Faraday Cage posted:

I'm pretty sure they were meant to be releasing Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain today. They tweeted this yesterday:

Which seems to be a direct quote from the plot of the game, judging by what Google found.

Oh, no :mad:. I was waiting and hoping for this release. So close and yet so far.

Edit: Too dumb to use commas.

Minister of Chance fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 26, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Party Plane Jones posted:

They (EA) already know they don't have distribution rights for that. Half of the IP is tied up with some insurance company.
The funny thing is that is desperately the most wanted game on GoG, so whenever they release those "clues" for a new release, their forums are full of hilarity as people use the most convoluted logic imaginable to believe that System Shock 2 is what the announced game will be.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

If that happens to be the case:
Gog.com - Not bad... for a pathetic insect.

Excuse me.

Gog.com - how can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

It'll never happen though, unless Star Insurance's entire board of directors gets cyborged or something. :negative:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Boondock Saint posted:

I'm still optimistic. There was a goon a few years back who worked on nothing but bringing older LA titles to Steam (Summer 2009, like right after GOG started up) and he made a few posts about it. I believe he was laid off unfortunately.

The good news though, is that GOG pretty much does all of the optimization and porting themselves, which pretty much relieves LA of the heavy lifting it would have had to do in order to bring more titles to Steam. So I seriously feel like it's only a matter of time.

Give me a GOG version of Afterlife that works on modern systems and I will be a very happy man.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

kuddles posted:

their forums are full of hilarity as people use the most convoluted logic imaginable to believe that System Shock 2 is what the announced game will be.

Along with watching their press conferences live, this is my favorite thing about GOG (besides the games). These ideas outdo any kind of conspiracy about killing JFK or MLK or anything like that. It's borderline madness, but I secretly hope they're right at the same time.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for $5.99 and Myst 5: End of Ages for $9.99.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blodskur posted:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for $5.99 and Myst 5: End of Ages for $9.99.

It's like Christmas all over again :swoon:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Soul Reaver. Holy gently caress. I adored that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Hey, Soul Reaver. Nice!

The Dreamcast version is a lot better, but this is still cool.