Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

When I switched over about 6 years ago I never looked back and haven't even entertained the thought of buying another PC since.

I think most of the rabid Apple haters are incapable of considering that anyone would want a computer for something other than JUST gaming/huge nerds that get off on hating things that other people like. The fact that people get angry about people buying Apple, even on these forums (see steve job's death thread for the worst offenders) blows my mind. Like, I can't even believe they think it is any of their business what other people buy.

Not that I am a Mac hater or anything but the biggest gripe I hear about Macs is not the nerd ranting that you are talking about but the thought of a closed architecture.

It isn't just like "Rawr your Mac sucks because you can't play games on it durrr" It is more of a, "I don't like the idea that if my motherboard goes out I can't (read... total pain in the rear end) replace it. And I have to take it to some college kid that calls himself a 'Genius' to get it fixed. "

Some people perceive that as being pretentious, which is where I believe all the hate comes from. Others like me lurking in this thread constantly waiting for smarter Mac people than myself to announce where I can pick up the new MBP to replace my Linux based Franken-computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Roloc posted:

Not that I am a Mac hater or anything but the biggest gripe I hear about Macs is not the nerd ranting that you are talking about but the thought of a closed architecture.

It isn't just like "Rawr your Mac sucks because you can't play games on it durrr" It is more of a, "I don't like the idea that if my motherboard goes out I can't (read... total pain in the rear end) replace it. And I have to take it to some college kid that calls himself a 'Genius' to get it fixed. "

Some people perceive that as being pretentious, which is where I believe all the hate comes from. Others like me lurking in this thread constantly waiting for smarter Mac people than myself to announce where I can pick up the new MBP to replace my Linux based Franken-computers.

I was probably generalizing too much there and I can fully understand why some people would prefer a PC, but I think you are underestimating people. See: every GBS thread involving Apple. So much pure unadulterated nerd rage.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I was probably generalizing too much there and I can fully understand why some people would prefer a PC, but I think you are underestimating people. See: every GBS thread involving Apple. So much pure unadulterated nerd rage.

Yeah well that I will give you. Although there is some quote about angry nerds being louder than content nerds that I am failing to remember.

Most real discussions I have with "mac haters" once you get past the crap just hate that they can't really tweak till their hearts content. Both from the hardware and software side.

I am more of a "best tool for the job" guy and my current job centers around mobile development so off to Mac land for me since it is really the only platform to be able to develop all mobile apps from... again probably because of their closed architecture but whatever my work is buying it :)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much everyone that made fun of me for buying my first Mac in 2002 now uses Macs.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

NESguerilla posted:

drat. What a horrible time to decide to buy a new computer. If they aren't announced in to weeks I'm just gonna say gently caress it and buy one of the current models.

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't desperately need a new computer, but I haven't upgraded in about 5 years so I could use a new one. I'm mainly holding out for the new ones to be released because it will hopefully make the 2011 refurbs drop in price. Or maybe it will make some newer model refurbs slot into the 1400 price range.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I basically picked up a MBP 2 years ago to learn iOS programming. Didn't get real far with that though.

I had laptops running Windows and Linux from Dell, Compaq, Toshiba, Sony...This blew them all away. Sure, it was 'only' a C2D when PC laptops were coming out with the first generation of i5's but it's a laptop and I'm not really a power user.

I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision at first. But then I started to realize how great it was. I CAN JUST CLOSE THE LID AND OPEN IT WHEN I COME BACK? The battery lasts 7 hours? This thing is all super-small? OMG touchpad!

Sure, the software selection is still a little bit on the lacking side, there usually is a program for everything but you don't always have choice or it's not quite up to date. But everything works, and once you get used to the quirks of BSD or Mach or whatever it is, you have a pretty decent UNIX underneath. It's no Linux but at the same time you've got hardware compatibility and ease of use.

The OS isn't perfect, I hate a lot of the defaults and Finder is a joke, but for the most part I hate being 'that guy' when I have to use a Windows VM or a co-workers Windows laptop and I just make this face of disgust when I'm using it.

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much everyone that made fun of me for buying my first Mac in 2002 now uses Macs.

To be fair they still sucked pretty hard back then. Insanely slow OS without much native software and they were fuckin' expensive.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah it's amazing what not running on loving G4's will do for ya!

2002 macs were 100% horrible. Intel chips, OS maturity and desktop virtualization are what made the mac viable for me.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

To be fair they still sucked pretty hard back then.
Insanely slow OS
without much native software
and they were fuckin' expensive.

1. gently caress off with your OS warrior bullshit.
2. No.
3. As much then as now?
4. The laptops cost more back then, sure, but the desktops were actually cheaper.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you not remember everyone dual-booting OS 9 for the longest time?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

1. gently caress off with your OS warrior bullshit.
2. No.
3. As much then as now?
4. The laptops cost more back then, sure, but the desktops were actually cheaper.
THis is the best post.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Mu Zeta posted:

Pretty much everyone that made fun of me for buying my first Mac in 1994 now uses Macs.

Fixed for my experience. I got relentless poo poo for over a decade until iPods made Apple cool. I had a TA give me poo poo for running MatLab on my POWERBOOK G4 in lab until I ran the same script on my Mac and the Dell P4 at my bench and the Mac smoked it. :smugdog:

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 26, 2012

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Did you do that? I got started with OS X Public Beta and I've run X as my main OS since then. Granted, the 10.0-10.2 time was rough, but I learned a lot about compiling open source software and pulling apps from cvs/svn!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

Quite frankly, I remember everyone staying in OS 8-9 for the longest time and people not booting OS X until PhotoShop and Quark ran on X without crashing. But that's ancedotally loaded, just like the question.

Back to hardware: I have this really bad feeling that Apple will nerf out USB 3.0 until Thunderbolt gets properly on its feet. They've always had 'Not Invented Here?' bias.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Quite frankly, I remember everyone staying in OS 8-9 for the longest time and people not booting OS X until PhotoShop and Quark ran on X without crashing. But that's ancedotally loaded, just like the question.

Back to hardware: I have this really bad feeling that Apple will nerf out USB 3.0 until Thunderbolt gets properly on its feet. They've always had 'Not Invented Here?' bias.

I don't know, USB3.0 and TB serve different purposes.

TB is for chaining high speed drives and devices for professionals, in addition to being the mini-display port connector.

USB 3.0 is for more consumery applications like portable hard drives, flash drives, etc.

I can see them supporting both.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

That's what I think too but they can't ignore the fact that adding USB 3.0 would literally be a reason to get a new machine even if the increases in battery life and CPU power are negligible.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

That's what I think too but they can't ignore the fact that adding USB 3.0 would literally be a reason to get a new machine even if the increases in battery life and CPU power are negligible.

If they don't, everyone can stare frustratingly at their new machine, realizing they paid for silicon that has a USB 3.0 hub on it, but that Apple refused to break-out. It'll be awesome.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Is there any reason why my MBP (Late 2008) is running so hot? It hasn't dropped under 85C for a long time now with the fans at max speed, this is with just Chrome, iTunes and Sparrow running. Plugging in my external to watch a movie bumped it up to 105C :(

editing as I type this: MplayerX, what a lovely program. It had two processes running even after I quit it, basically forcing 100% CPU usage.

My Laptop could still cook meat, though.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

big cheese posted:

Is there any reason why my MBP (Late 2008) is running so hot? It hasn't dropped under 85C for a long time now with the fans at max speed, this is with just Chrome, iTunes and Sparrow running. Plugging in my external to watch a movie bumped it up to 105C :(

editing as I type this: MplayerX, what a lovely program. It had two processes running even after I quit it, basically forcing 100% CPU usage.

That machine is infamous for junk-burn. Keep in mind too, i've seen facebook in a chrome-tab left open for more than half a day start pegging a processor core and heating it up.

Plus : I've ripped mine apart and taken a can-o-air to the heatsinks inside, which helped (very slightly).

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

big cheese posted:

I've had MPlayerX running for *checks uptime* 17 days straight now having played all sorts of video files and haven't had a problem. Not that I doubt it can happen, but MPX has been incredibly stable for me and I can't recall ever having to force quit any of its processes.

Under heavy load Macbook Pros will run genital-broiling hot even with the fans pegged. Unless you are gaming or rendering video, adobe flash is always usually to blame.

<edit> Or Dropbox. gently caress Dropbox and its lovely Finder plugin/extension that pegs your CPU anytime you have more than six icons displayed.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 26, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The new Last.fm client also has some problems causing CPU usage to slowly rise from 1% to (I've seen, at which point I killed it) 47% over time, especially if you have the window open and/or you're on the 'Now playing' page.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah it's amazing what not running on loving G4's will do for ya!

2002 macs were 100% horrible. Intel chips, OS maturity and desktop virtualization are what made the mac viable for me.

Nah, I loved my iBook G3 and iMac G4. OSX became good after Jaguar.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mayodreams posted:

Fixed for my experience. I got relentless poo poo for over a decade until iPods made Apple cool. I had a TA give me poo poo for running MatLab on my POWERBOOK G4 in lab until I ran the same script on my Mac and the Dell P4 at my bench and the Mac smoked it. :smugdog:
My first computer was a Mac from a family friend when I was 4 or so. I got in when they were cool when they first came out :smug:, then they were crap for most of my elementary and high school years before starting to turn it around towards the end of HS. Got MY POWERBOOK G3 (Pismo) senior year, it was pretty awesome for the time (fast, thin, light, good battery life, FireWire!) and got some people interested in Macs (one guy is now an Apple Store genius). Of course the main use in the last few months of high school slacking off was for people to challenge me in Puzzle Bobble in MAME.

That thing stayed in use one way or another for 7-8 years :911:

Binary Badger posted:

I think I switched full time with either 10.0 or 10.1, if not somewhere in between. I was a computer science major at the time and remember starting with some Java dev environment, OS 9 wasn't an option there. Also had some Photoshop class, which reminded me that I had an OS X theme for OS 9 :v:

As for USB 3.0 I figure on the plus side it'll never replace Thunderbolt cause that'll be there by default as the video output at least (vs FireWire not even making it to the MBA), and otherwise for the purposes of simple comparison charts, TB is still faster. Possibly vaguely related, did they implement USB 2.0 before or after FW800?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Roloc posted:

And I have to take it to some college kid that calls himself a 'Genius' to get it fixed. "
Speaking of infuriating language: What actually made me toy for a moment with the idea of dropping the Mac immediately was how the diagrams in the financial report and apparently even Tim Cook referred to Macs as "CPUs". (Well I was not really going to disassociate myself from everything Apple, but I this "CPU" thing means that somebody is either ignorant or pandering to ignoramuses.)

My main motivation for having Macs is peace of mind. Everything generally works and it's easy to fix it (or have it fixed) when something breaks.

I still build my own PCs, mostly for gaming and encoding video (Windows) and for various server tasks (Linux). Apple just isn't very big on gaming and server OSs. (I could maybe take a second look at OS X server but I also don't feel like taking computing resources away from my iMac to run services on it.)

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

flavor posted:

I could maybe take a second look at OS X server but I also don't feel like taking computing resources away from my iMac to run services on it.

Don't. As a Mac OS X Server admin, I am warning you to stay the hell away.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dumb question...now that I have an iPhone in addition to my MBP, wasn't there an integrated feature to get notifications/etc on Lion, over Wi-Fi or BlueTooth? Or is that still forthcoming?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Dumb question...now that I have an iPhone in addition to my MBP, wasn't there an integrated feature to get notifications/etc on Lion, over Wi-Fi or BlueTooth? Or is that still forthcoming?
Mountain Lion brings Notification Center to OS X, but it has nothing to do with pairing with your device. It's just bringing an iOS-like notification system to OS X for Messages, etc. Assuming you use Messages on OS X, you'll get notifications on both.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Mountain Lion brings Notification Center to OS X, but it has nothing to do with pairing with your device. It's just bringing an iOS-like notification system to OS X for Messages, etc. Assuming you use Messages on OS X, you'll get notifications on both.

Ahh, ok, I guess that's what I was thinking of. There were some 3rd party apps then I might have been thinking of that did stuff like that then. Would be cool if I have my iPhone in my pocket I magically and lazily get notifications/SMS/etc on my MBP.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a jailbreak solution to push iOS notifications to Growl. In fact I'm almost positive I've heard of it existing. To Google!

edit: Oops it's backwards.

edit 2: Bingo.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Are Mac mini's worth a buy at all, or is it worth it to jump up to a straight iMac? I've been a Windows guy forever, but sprung for the entry level MBP last summer. I've been very happy, to the point where I shelved my PC earlier this week and now use my MBP as my main desktop. I'd like to purchase a desktop so I'm not plugging in my MBP each time and dragging all the wires along.

I don't need much. I don't game, and just use this for browsing, some SSH access to my servers, watching some 720p mkv videos and a lot of writing in Microsoft Word. I also already have a 28" monitor, and the smaller iMacs would feel like a downgrade, but the price on the 27" iMacs is more than I'm comfy with, so the mini seems a good compromise.

It seems I'd be fine, but I worry about the 2GB of ram and 5400 speed drive. By the time I pay to upgrade both of those I might as well just get an iMac it seems. Are they underpowered for average use? Should I just look at a refurb iMac?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't consider it downgrading to go from the 28" to 27". You probably won't lose any resolution, and you're buying one of the best consumer displays available. If you have the cash to throw around for it, the extra processing power is worth the money.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice
Apologies, I meant going to the 21.5" iMac. That'd be a pretty big drop in monitor size for me, but the price on the 27" is a bit hefty, hence why I was looking at a Mini. If the Mini won't work well for what I need I'll just bite the bullet for the 27" - I don't think I could live with 21.5" after 28" for so long.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mortanis posted:

It seems I'd be fine, but I worry about the 2GB of ram and 5400 speed drive. By the time I pay to upgrade both of those I might as well just get an iMac it seems. Are they underpowered for average use? Should I just look at a refurb iMac?

An i5 Mini is only like $30 to upgrade to 8GB of RAM if you buy it from NewEgg. I'd throw in an SSD but I was using an i3 iMac up until a few days ago with the stock crappy HD for web development and it was fine.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mortanis posted:

Apologies, I meant going to the 21.5" iMac. That'd be a pretty big drop in monitor size for me, but the price on the 27" is a bit hefty, hence why I was looking at a Mini. If the Mini won't work well for what I need I'll just bite the bullet for the 27" - I don't think I could live with 21.5" after 28" for so long.

Yeah, it would be nice if they made a computer with iMac power, but didn't have a monitor attached. But the mini sounds like it can handle what you plan to do with it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
What resolution is the 28"? Just asking cause there's a lot of big rear end 1920x1080 displays now while 2560x ones like the iMac 27" still aren't super common.

But yeah the Mac mini is fine for what you mentioned, bump the RAM and get a smallish SSD if you can stand to live with a small boot drive (put media on a second internal drive, external, or network share).

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a jailbreak solution to push iOS notifications to Growl. In fact I'm almost positive I've heard of it existing. To Google!

edit: Oops it's backwards.

edit 2: Bingo.

If anyone tries this out I would be very interested in a report.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

If anyone tries this out I would be very interested in a report.
You'll probably have better luck checking in with the jailbreaking thread.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
My first Mac was a tower.

Made of beige plastic.

So... Yeah... Macs in 2002 were nice.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

College Slice

japtor posted:

What resolution is the 28"? Just asking cause there's a lot of big rear end 1920x1080 displays now while 2560x ones like the iMac 27" still aren't super common.

But yeah the Mac mini is fine for what you mentioned, bump the RAM and get a smallish SSD if you can stand to live with a small boot drive (put media on a second internal drive, external, or network share).

1920x1080.... That 2560 is pretty tempting, for certain. Maybe I'll spring for the 27". It's the sort of thing that'll last for quite a while, at any rate, and not too much more than the last few times I'd cobbled together a PC. Except for the SSD... that bumps the price up.

Thanks for the help, all. Decisions, decisions.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

flavor posted:

Speaking of infuriating language: What actually made me toy for a moment with the idea of dropping the Mac immediately was how the diagrams in the financial report and apparently even Tim Cook referred to Macs as "CPUs". (Well I was not really going to disassociate myself from everything Apple, but I this "CPU" thing means that somebody is either ignorant or pandering to ignoramuses.)

My main motivation for having Macs is peace of mind. Everything generally works and it's easy to fix it (or have it fixed) when something breaks.

I still build my own PCs, mostly for gaming and encoding video (Windows) and for various server tasks (Linux). Apple just isn't very big on gaming and server OSs. (I could maybe take a second look at OS X server but I also don't feel like taking computing resources away from my iMac to run services on it.)

Exactly my grandpa used to tell me to steer clear of people who talk to you like an idiot or who talks like an idiot. And well since they call themselves geniuses I am guessing I know which one they are doing.

In any case. None of this is a problem with the hardware or software. Just how they market themselves, and I think that is where a lot of their success comes from as well as a lot of the disdain. Judging by their earnings report.... I think they'll be OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Roloc posted:

And well since they call themselves geniuses[...]

Just how they market themselves, and I think that is where a lot of their success comes from as well as a lot of the disdain.

This is just precious.

I cannot imagine living a life where the pretentiousness of others causes even the slightest bit of agitation, or any concern at all. People would be so much happier if they stopped giving a poo poo about non-issues like this.