Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Unfortunately I'll probably never play Saint's Row 1, even though it has one of my all-time favourite bands on the soundtrack (Ned's Atomic Dustbin) because I'll never have a 360.

I have 2 on PC, and it's not TOO hard to get running decently, though they certainly made it a challenge.

One hasn't aged well at all anyway, you can easily skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aussie Dingbat
Apr 21, 2012

Dingbat from Down Under

metalfingers posted:

For me, at least, the "go play SR if you want wacky" argument is annoying because although I enjoyed Saints Row 2 and 3 they're not GTA. They're immensely fun but still rough around the edges and lack the polish of the GTA series. I want a fun game with the satisfying driving physics and damage modeling of GTAIV, and more of the kind of weaponry we saw in TBoGT.

They really improved on GTAIV in a lot of the areas it was lacking in with TBoGT, so I like to think that they've ironed out the kinks about what does and doesn't work and that GTAV will be all kinds of awesome as a result.

Although I wouldn't mind if they decided to add a few "wacky" customisation/cheat options you could turn on for multiplayer/"when you want to muck around in single-player", but that wouldn't be forced upon you and thus detract form the rest of the game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

VolumeBroadcast posted:

After Red Dead Redemption I have my hopes up for V. Especially after realizing how long they have had to make a game, and not have to worry too much about a game engine gives me confidence we will get a nice balance between SA and IV.

As for the SR vs GTA argument, just be glad we have two sides of the same coin as opposed to one game coming off as a knock off of the other.

I really hope the shooting in GTA5 will be as fun as it was in RDR. Now if only they could get shotguns right :argh:

Also Saints Row 2 was pretty serious and downright dark at times. SR3's dev team dropped that in favor of more whacky poo poo. I honestly enjoyed the serious poo poo in SR2, sometimes it's fun playing a sociopath who isn't afraid to admit they're a horrible person.

Especially if they fully admit they're a horrible person and don't give a single gently caress about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

I really hope the shooting in GTA5 will be as fun as it was in RDR. Now if only they could get shotguns right :argh:

Also Saints Row 2 was pretty serious and downright dark at times. SR3's dev team dropped that in favor of more whacky poo poo. I honestly enjoyed the serious poo poo in SR2, sometimes it's fun playing a sociopath who isn't afraid to admit they're a horrible person.

Especially if they fully admit they're a horrible person and don't give a single gently caress about it.

And that's why Tommy Vercetti is still the best GTA protagonist.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

TheJoker138 posted:

And that's why Tommy Vercetti is still the best GTA protagonist.

Pretty much, yeah. CJ was enjoyable, but Tommy was amazing :allears:

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I don't really give a poo poo about seriousness/whatever, I pay zero attention to the storylines in these games but my issue with GTA4 was getting a wanted level almost every time I fired a gun. Give me a cheat to turn that poo poo off and I'm golden. I still play both GTA4 and SA on the 360, you just have to try a little harder to find/make up poo poo to do in GTA4 but the engine is incredible and it sure is nice not to have to open up gtacheats.txt for the five 12-random-button cheat codes every time I want to fire up the goddamn game. At least the weapons/health cheats in last gen GTA games follow some kind of logic, although to give some sense of how much I played GTA San Andreas on PS2 I actually entered a cheat code accidentally while I was playing it one time. I can't remember what it did, but jesus.

That sort of bugs me about games these days. I used to cheat like poo poo in literally every game I played including sports games, now they've just switched to making you hugely overpowered once the endgame rolls around. Or having bullshit catch-up logic in sports games, god I'll miss winning games in NHL 2001 80-0 on the highest difficulty or beating my friends like 31-29

teethgrinder posted:

Unfortunately I'll probably never play Saint's Row 1, even though it has one of my all-time favourite bands on the soundtrack (Ned's Atomic Dustbin) because I'll never have a 360.

I have 2 on PC, and it's not TOO hard to get running decently, though they certainly made it a challenge.

SR1 was crap, it was just some hastily slapped together GTA clone that they pushed to release because at the time there were no sandbox games (really there were no games of mention at all other than Halo) on the 360. Saints Row 2 is great and I put a lot more hours into it than Saints Row 3, but most of those hours were spent sprinting around kicking everyone I saw in the dick which SR3 indisputably does better. I think the problem with 3 was they spent too much time on things like the five or six functionally identical tanks and not enough time on easter eggs in the map. And they hyped it way too much given how bland it was, and Gary Busey wasn't part of any of that hype.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Niko was interesting because he conveys that he once had morals but they were eroded away from him. He still cares a little bit, like in that bit where he helped that underage drug addicted girl instead of taking her up on her offer for $5 sex. CJ was just a monster ("Are you OK? I hope not."). Although at least things change for CJ throughout the story. He starts off as a lowlife and ends up acquiring a bunch of businesses. With Niko he comes into quarter of a million and still isn't able to change his life in any way. At the end he's back where he started.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

SR1 was crap, it was just some hastily slapped together GTA clone that they pushed to release because at the time there were no sandbox games (really there were no games of mention at all other than Halo) on the 360. Saints Row 2 is great and I put a lot more hours into it than Saints Row 3, but most of those hours were spent sprinting around kicking everyone I saw in the dick which SR3 indisputably does better. I think the problem with 3 was they spent too much time on things like the five or six functionally identical tanks and not enough time on easter eggs in the map. And they hyped it way too much given how bland it was, and Gary Busey wasn't part of any of that hype.

I'd rather play SR1 over GTAIV, SR1 has a good, unique storyline for a sandbox crime game at least.

Also in 3 they started from scratch, hence the downgrade. They lost a lot in the transition. SR4 (if we ever get it :() will be better for this reason. Think of it like SR1 -> SR2, the natural progression of SR3 is SR4. When you're recreating your games from scratch, you will often lose a lot of the detail previous games made, we can even see this in one GTAIV. Jumping onto next gen tech is no joke.

As for SR2 versus 3, I think 2 has the better storyline, but 3 has the better pacing and missions and gameplay. I'd rather play 3, because it's far more fun than 2, but 2 does a lot of things better for the reasons I pointed out.

Taking things back on topic a bit, the same reasons I pointed out SR2 -> SR3, I think these are good reasons GTAV will be a resounding improvement on GTAIV. GTAIV was Rockstar getting used to the new tech and everything, it was their first real next gen game aside from Table Tennis. Later games such as TLAD, tBoGT, and Red Dead Redemption are less boring because Rockstar ironed out the tech more, could pull off better tricks, and - to me, at least - had more confidence in their delivery, strictly speaking gameplay wise here.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 24, 2012

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Himuro posted:

I'm fine if Rockstar sticks to their own niche. Games like The Warriors, Max Payne 2, Red Dead Redemption and even TLAD - GTAIV's ultra serious expansion pack - are all great examples of Rockstar doing good work at their utmost serious. If anything, hold on to the "fun" and "humor" of past GTA games held GTAIV back. Here you had an ultra serious world where you walked into an internet cafe called Tw@t. Haha, so funny. So unique. Haha, and then use that to kill a stereotypically gay guy.

I'm loving dying here guys. Really, I am.

And then they expect me to take their crappy cartoon story and world seriously?

This was probably the most painful part of reading Jacked. They think it is both funny and pushing the boundries and it all just comes off as really awkward stuff.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Surely it would be "tw@" anyway.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Surely it would be "tw@" anyway.

It is.

edit; ahahaha which sperglord wrote this loving article

quote:

At all TW@ internet cafes in GTA IV, the photocopier behind the cashier's desk is a Kakagawa Power Ultra 3000 Pro. The screen of the photocopier also has an easter egg as the screen reads: ERROR Unleash ninja guru lol.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I would love to be the people who put these easter eggs in. Whenever I have made maps for Half-Life, made something on Minecraft, or even drawn some art for poo poo online, I always like to slip secret stuff in.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Jesus Christ they felt the need to explain why there aren't Internet cafes in the vice city games

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

One thing I liked about GTA3 was a huge amount of the pedestrians had Brit accents so you had some sense of context. I always forget R* North is based in the UK so stuff like "Tw@" and "Juank Air" don't exactly mesh up with the way Americans/99% of the GTA playerbase pronounce things

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Also the Housers are British as well.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
I may be alone here, but I loved GTA IV's multiplayer more than anything. Is there any good info on the multiplayer available yet? RDR's wasn't horrible, but I felt it was unnecessarily changed from GTA's formula.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Rockstar said they will used the gangs concept from Max Payne 3 in GTAV. Other than there has literally been nothing said about the game other than the trailer.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

The Dave posted:

Rockstar said they will used the gangs concept from Max Payne 3 in GTAV. Other than there has literally been nothing said about the game other than the trailer.

Oh my god, please expound upon this. I have been relishing the return of gangs!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

Online gangs (clans).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Himuro posted:

Also in 3 they started from scratch, hence the downgrade. They lost a lot in the transition. SR4 (if we ever get it :() will be better for this reason. Think of it like SR1 -> SR2, the natural progression of SR3 is SR4. When you're recreating your games from scratch, you will often lose a lot of the detail previous games made, we can even see this in one GTAIV. Jumping onto next gen tech is no joke.
Recreating from scratch wasn't the issue. They had better content development tools than the practically non-existing ones for SR2. The problem were the console resources. If you're creating a multi-platform game, you're gunning for the lowest common denominator, and these were mildly performing systems with only 512MB of RAM. Rarely a developer makes the effort to improve the PC version (a la Battlefield 3), because they don't have the budget for it. That's why I loving hope that GTA5 and SR4 are targetting next gen hardware.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

wa27 posted:

Online gangs (clans).

There go my dreams. :(

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I really really hope the port over the kind of multiplayer roaming mode that RDR had along with this whole gangs system thing.

It basically turns the map into a tiny MMO, random people show up and run around doing "quests" or grindy animal killings....but the truly fun part was going on a crime spree so bad that other players get alerted and rewarded for taking you down. If they bring over that same sort of "wander/roam/screw around if you want, battle with the random players if you want, prod people into confrontation" vibe it will own bones.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hope they do something about the penalties for getting busted/killed. I get that losing your weapons when busted is 'realistic' and all but it's pretty annoying, then again you can always resist arrest (why wouldn't you?), potentially get killed but keep your weapons and lose a chunk of money. The system is sort of alright, and certainly improved with GTA IV when before you lost your guns even when hospitalized, but it discourages horsing around to a degree. I guess one solution would be to keep the penalties as they are for when you die or get arrested during a mission, but have no penalties aside from throwing you back to a checkpoint/hospital/police station while in free-roam mode.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It was far from a perfect solution, but it paid to collect packages in Vice City because it made your restarts far more tolerable by spawning increasingly powerful weaponry for every ten packages at your safe houses.

I installed a mod on my PC version that put giant beacons above each package.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It ruled having the keep weapons after you die / get busted bonuses in San Andreas

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Vice City Stories let you pay a flat $5000 fee to recover your weapons every time you died/got busted. That worked pretty well too since you got to keep all the ammo you collected.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Recreating from scratch wasn't the issue. They had better content development tools than the practically non-existing ones for SR2. The problem were the console resources. If you're creating a multi-platform game, you're gunning for the lowest common denominator, and these were mildly performing systems with only 512MB of RAM. Rarely a developer makes the effort to improve the PC version (a la Battlefield 3), because they don't have the budget for it. That's why I loving hope that GTA5 and SR4 are targetting next gen hardware.
I hope too, but since nothing's been announced on the console front by any of the three (well, Sony or MS in particular) when you'd expect there'd at least be some substantial leaks about the next wave after six years. (Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention, because I don't do consoles.)

As for the losing your weapons when getting busted/wasted, I was a chronic reloader with the GTA games when I got busted. Strangely enough I didn't care so much with the Saints Row games.

The packages in VC worked well, probably because it wasn't a huge city by the standards of later games, and you did get a nice bonus for most increments of 10 and the first 50 or so you'd just come across while you were doing poo poo. SA got ridiculous with the four sets of collectibles - the graf one wasn't too bad because you could see clearly what you'd already done if you were checking them off the list, but I never bother with the photoshoot ones in San Fierro. Of course that was the golden age of strategy guides.

I'll say that one of the nice things about SR3 and the more recent AssCreed games was that you could buy maps for collectibles so you didn't have to spend hours looking for the last 3-4 drops.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Niko was interesting because he conveys that he once had morals but they were eroded away from him. He still cares a little bit, like in that bit where he helped that underage drug addicted girl instead of taking her up on her offer for $5 sex. CJ was just a monster ("Are you OK? I hope not."). Although at least things change for CJ throughout the story. He starts off as a lowlife and ends up acquiring a bunch of businesses. With Niko he comes into quarter of a million and still isn't able to change his life in any way. At the end he's back where he started.

While I agree that neither Niko or CJ were very nice people, my problem with both of them was that their actions in missions and cut scenes went completely against their actions outside of them. Niko was always talking about how he didn't want to kill people, and then you run over twenty people on your way to the next mission. CJ was even worse, as the entire basis of his problems was based on him not being able to kill a corrupt cop, when doing that outside of the story gets you a measly 2 stars. There was a huge disconnect that felt off about both characters.

Tommy, on the other hand, was a total murder loving sociopath both inside and outside of missions. His solution to any problem was always "I'M GOING TO KILL THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS!" and any voice of reason telling him not to do that was always a different character, and they usually failed in talking him out of it. Claude also worked in GTA 3 because, being silent, there were never any times he was like "Oh no, I can't kill this person!"

LARRY JEW
Jan 7, 2010

Mopey Dick

TheJoker138 posted:

While I agree that neither Niko or CJ were very nice people, my problem with both of them was that their actions in missions and cut scenes went completely against their actions outside of them. Niko was always talking about how he didn't want to kill people, and then you run over twenty people on your way to the next mission. CJ was even worse, as the entire basis of his problems was based on him not being able to kill a corrupt cop, when doing that outside of the story gets you a measly 2 stars. There was a huge disconnect that felt off about both characters.

Tommy, on the other hand, was a total murder loving sociopath both inside and outside of missions. His solution to any problem was always "I'M GOING TO KILL THOSE MOTHER FUCKERS!" and any voice of reason telling him not to do that was always a different character, and they usually failed in talking him out of it. Claude also worked in GTA 3 because, being silent, there were never any times he was like "Oh no, I can't kill this person!"

I completely agree. I guess I was just young and didn't really focus too much on CJ's morality when I first played San Andreas but I really couldn't stand Niko's back and forth. I'm playing through Vice City again (woo $10 on the App Store!) and Tommy is just the perfect character for these games. Yeah he's a complete murderous psychopath but he was so much fun to play as because he doesn't second guess anything.

I was a little hesitant to start playing Vice City again considering it came out 10 years ago but drat the game is still so much fun to play. Can't beat the soundtrack either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tommy also had the best set up for a main character in any of the games, with the high level Mafia guys sitting around in the restaurant talking about how loving scared they were that he was being released, and then coming up with the idea to just get him the gently caress out of there because all he does is cause mayhem and chaos that is detrimental to their actual business.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Vice City Stories let you pay a flat $5000 fee to recover your weapons every time you died/got busted. That worked pretty well too since you got to keep all the ammo you collected.

This is the best solution I think. You can even justify it "in-universe" (corrupt cops or whatever).

Brianbloke
Apr 20, 2012

Himuro posted:

Apparently (not sure if its confirmed or not) The gangs will work similar to GTA San Andreas - And by Similar, I mean, gangs own certain parts of the city, they can be took over (as far as I remember from reading about it in a news article of some sort). So most likely this'll be what the gangs will be about.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1293638/gta_5_rockstar_confirms_max_payne_3_multiplayer_crew_imports.html

That's all the info out about "gangs" right now. There are no details about what it means in GTAV other than what's mentioned there: They're groups like guilds that carry over through other R* games via the social club.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I guess i have just never understood all the negativity for GTAIV, I mean how can people be hating on a game that can let you produce this:
http://youtu.be/6f0zwncRsIE

I hope max payne 3 has a replay editor, every time I play GTAIV I end up doing something that I have to make a video out of.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

GAY RETARD posted:

I guess i have just never understood all the negativity for GTAIV, I mean how can people be hating on a game that can let you produce this:
http://youtu.be/6f0zwncRsIE
That was pretty drat cool. I liked the POV shot towards the end.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Great video! Is there some sort mod that I can trigger random gunfights between peds and cops (or eachother). I love starting a fist fight with someone, then a cop sees Niko being attacked, then a gun-fight ensues while niko is just standing there like :unsmith:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Has anyone here ever been arrested in IV and escaped anyway? There was this one total fluke that happened to me: I was on the train tracks causing havoc and a cop came running up to me to arrest me. I actually allowed him to approach, because I was standing with my back to the tracks and the train was looming--when he stopped on the tracks to book me and Niko put his hands up, the cop was promptly splattered by the train and I got away scott free. Best timing ever.

VVV Fixed for clarity

AngryCaterpillar fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 27, 2012

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Has anyone here ever been arrested in IV and escaped anyway? There was this one total fluke that happened to me: I was on the train tracks causing havoc and a cop came running up to me to arrest me. I actually allowed him to approach, because I was standing with my back to the tracks--when he stopped on the tracks to book me and Niko put his hands up, the cop was promptly splattered and I got away scott free. Best timing ever.

I've done that before, interrupting the hands up animation to shoot the cops. Isn't it a core part of gameplay?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mike Tysons CARFAX posted:

I'm playing through Vice City again (woo $10 on the App Store!)

Wait, is this the iOS App Store or the Mac App Store?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

I've done that before, interrupting the hands up animation to shoot the cops. Isn't it a core part of gameplay?

I think he means like waiting beyond the point where you can get away and then the cop gets killed like what happened in his example.

• Locked thread