Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

Erwin posted:

VMware Tools is pulled from the host when you install/upgrade through vSphere, so the host will feed it whatever version is needed. Are you trying to push out the installer in some other way?

Also, the newest Tools version is compatible with both 4.x and 5 hypervisors, so you can just stick it on the template/image.

Yeah, I'm trying to install it as part of the MDT Task Sequence.

That is really good to know about the newest Tools, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

quackquackquack posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to install it as part of the MDT Task Sequence.

That is really good to know about the newest Tools, thanks.

I've never used MDT and actually I jumped to the conclusion that you were testing mobile data terminal deployments, which is why I was confused.

If it's just testing, getting your VMware guys to enable this setting could make your life a whole lot easier:

That way you can leave VMware Tools out of your deployment tasks. I'm not sure how that behaves if the VM is just coming up for the first time and still has to pull stuff from MDT, but it's worth playing with.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Erwin posted:

I've never used MDT and actually I jumped to the conclusion that you were testing mobile data terminal deployments, which is why I was confused.

If it's just testing, getting your VMware guys to enable this setting could make your life a whole lot easier:

That way you can leave VMware Tools out of your deployment tasks. I'm not sure how that behaves if the VM is just coming up for the first time and still has to pull stuff from MDT, but it's worth playing with.

If that's using VUM, it won't be able to install Tools, only upgrade.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

Erwin posted:

One big problem we've been having is that keyboard and mouse don't work when booted into Win7 during/after deployment (4.1), or that the VM experiences 4-5 second freezes of the keyboard and mouse during/after deployment (5.0). Installing the Tools resolves these issues.

Additionally, we're a very decentralized organization, and the people I am dealing with who will be testing these MDT deployments are not the people running their vSphere environments, and I don't want to be trying to find those people to convince them to make changes to their stuff.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Do the VMware drivers have an inf file? If yes, you can inject it into your WIM with DISM and have it available from the first boot.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
The mass storage drivers can be found, but none of the others. Although they can be grabbed from a computer after having been installed, that's an annoying process.

Installing the Tools works great, really. I just wasn't aware that newer tools would be compatible with a VM on an older version of vSphere.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Are any of you folks running any kind of print audit/management software like Papercut?

What bits do you use and do your users hate you for making them confirm they want to print something that's going to cost $12?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bitch Stewie posted:

Are any of you folks running any kind of print audit/management software like Papercut?

What bits do you use and do your users hate you for making them confirm they want to print something that's going to cost $12?

We use Papercut, but we don't do anything like that. We give everybody a "$60" quota and for the semester prints "cost" 6 cents a page (12 for color) and they can check their quota from the desktop any time.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
How well does it work?

I was being a bit flippant with the comment about cost as we don't charge or anything, but we do want to explore ways of highlighting that "hey, this costs money" as well as having half decent human readable and searchable records of print jobs.

I installed threir print monitor earlier so we have some good data to go on over the next few months.

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
Has anybody had any experience with Dell's Kace?

My boss booked me a meeting with a Dell representative about Kace and i've been reading about it on the Kace website.

We have a fully working SCCM 2007 and i'm not really thrilled about introducing a another solution for managing and deploying computers. I'd just rather update to SCCM 2012.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bitch Stewie posted:

How well does it work?

I was being a bit flippant with the comment about cost as we don't charge or anything, but we do want to explore ways of highlighting that "hey, this costs money" as well as having half decent human readable and searchable records of print jobs.

I installed threir print monitor earlier so we have some good data to go on over the next few months.

We use it for student labs, so once they use up their quota they're SOL, but Papercut doesn't get in the way when they try and print something big. The students start out with a mindset of "this is my money to spend" which sounds like not the viewpoint you're coming from.

I don't work with it very much but from my understanding it works really well. We've put a shortcut on the desktop to check their balanc, which I think is just a link to a webpage, but the students seem to be figuring it out, (and making complaints when their $20 print jobs don't actually print)

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

We use it for student labs, so once they use up their quota they're SOL, but Papercut doesn't get in the way when they try and print something big. The students start out with a mindset of "this is my money to spend" which sounds like not the viewpoint you're coming from.

I don't work with it very much but from my understanding it works really well. We've put a shortcut on the desktop to check their balanc, which I think is just a link to a webpage, but the students seem to be figuring it out, (and making complaints when their $20 print jobs don't actually print)

"Oops I accidentally printed this textbook out in color and used up my entire quota. Can you refund my pages and let me keep the book I printed?"

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

InfiniteDonkey posted:

My boss booked me a meeting with a Dell representative about Kace and i've been reading about it on the Kace website.

We have a fully working SCCM 2007 and i'm not really thrilled about introducing a another solution for managing and deploying computers. I'd just rather update to SCCM 2012.

I played around with the VM for evaluation and it's pretty decent in a "not quite as good as SCCM for much cheaper" kind of way.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

InfiniteDonkey posted:

We use the 1000 appliance here. It's good, does it's job, and I've had great luck with everything I've thrown at it. The community forums + paid support are good as well.

However, we started with nothing. If you've got SCCM already, I can't see how you'd not be wasting time/money to transition.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
In Microsoft SCM (Security Compliance Manager), looking at the built-in Win7SP1 Baseline from Microsoft, and the 'Default' column appears to be, well, wrong.

I made a vanilla Win7SP1 VM, installed from the ISO direct from MSDN. SCM says "Require a Password When a Computer Wakes (Plugged In)" is default 'Disabled'. But when I check on my VM, it is definitely enabled by default.

Any ideas?

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

InfiniteDonkey posted:

I do. The question is "What do you need Dell Kace Kbox to do?".

If you just want inventory management, Spiceworks.
If you want an helpdesk... I'd say spiceworks. You're going to hate your helpdesk software, it might as well be free.
If you want patch management, stick with SCCM since you've already got it going.

Kbox is a nifty little appliance, but it doesn't really do anything that you can't do for free or cheap; it just provides a single place to go to for all that stuff.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

Bitch Stewie posted:

FWIW - We're a pretty small org. Papercut is a really solid product and their support when I've needed it has been good. We dont use it to charge users, we've got it hooked up to release stations so people have to swipe their cards to get their printing. Its the only printing-related thing I have any confidence in whatsoever.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
We've just rolled out a bunch of Windows XP PCs to users who were using thin clients/Citrix before, and have identified a couple of issues. I've hit a bit of a dead end in trying to find optimal solutions so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

1) These PCs are shared by multiple users and are also used for staff to swipe on/off at either end of their shifts. They're supposed to always be left on, but around 20% of users keep selecting "Shut down" from the Start menu instead of "Log off". Most of these idiots users don't know the difference between the monitor power button and the PC power button, so this is the cause of a lot of our current support calls.

Is there any way to remove the shut down button via machine group policy (not user group policy) or registry hacks? I've found this registry hack but that leaves the button in the start menu and causes it to spit up an error instead.

2) Is there any way to show the system time onscreen when no user is logged in?

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
Thank everybody for the answers considering Dell's Kace.

Kace really doesn't seem to be able to offer us anything, it actually would restrict us compared to what we can do now.

We have an EA license with Microsoft, so i have the latest versions of pretty much everything available to me. I'll focus my time on upgrading SCCM 2007 to 2012 in the summer.

GMontag
Dec 20, 2011

jassa posted:

We've just rolled out a bunch of Windows XP PCs to users who were using thin clients/Citrix before, and have identified a couple of issues. I've hit a bit of a dead end in trying to find optimal solutions so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

1) These PCs are shared by multiple users and are also used for staff to swipe on/off at either end of their shifts. They're supposed to always be left on, but around 20% of users keep selecting "Shut down" from the Start menu instead of "Log off". Most of these idiots users don't know the difference between the monitor power button and the PC power button, so this is the cause of a lot of our current support calls.

Is there any way to remove the shut down button via machine group policy (not user group policy) or registry hacks? I've found this registry hack but that leaves the button in the start menu and causes it to spit up an error instead.

Use loopback processing. Loopback processing makes it so you can apply user settings via GPOs in the machine's OU, and every user logging into that machine will get those settings either in addition to, or instead of their usual settings, depending on the loopback mode (merge vs replace).

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

GMontag posted:

Use loopback processing. Loopback processing makes it so you can apply user settings via GPOs in the machine's OU, and every user logging into that machine will get those settings either in addition to, or instead of their usual settings, depending on the loopback mode (merge vs replace).

That looks very promising - I'll try it out at work tomorrow. Thanks. :)

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

jassa posted:

Shutdown problem

I've had a lot of success by putting a piece of tape over the power button that says "do not turn me off." It doesn't look great but people have gotten the message.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
What do you all use for centralised event log management please?

Ideally something that could route events to folders so that, for example, the VSS error/warning that I get every time VMware quiesces certain VM's isn't flagged to me, but other warning/critical events are?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Hiyoshi posted:

I've had a lot of success by putting a piece of tape over the power button that says "do not turn me off." It doesn't look great but people have gotten the message.

That doesn't stop them from clicking "Shut down" from the Start menu though. :)

Our sysadmins were dragging their feet about using loopback processing so we ended up using a registry hack instead.

Now we have a different issue - for reasons I won't bore people with, we need to get these 100 PCs to keep the IP address they currently have. Ideally we'd reserve the IP by MAC address except that would involve configuring 80 or so different routers for the various sites. I've found a way to configure the TCP/IP settings via the registry but we'd have to specify the settings for each PC, which means doing them one at a time.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to scripting, but would it be feasible/possible to create a script which grabs the TCP/IP settings for the current PC and then bases the static IP settings off that (by making those registry changes)?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spidoman posted:

"Oops I accidentally printed this textbook out in color and used up my entire quota. Can you refund my pages and let me keep the book I printed?"
"Get the gently caress outta my office :)"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jassa posted:

That doesn't stop them from clicking "Shut down" from the Start menu though. :)

Our sysadmins were dragging their feet about using loopback processing so we ended up using a registry hack instead.

Now we have a different issue - for reasons I won't bore people with, we need to get these 100 PCs to keep the IP address they currently have. Ideally we'd reserve the IP by MAC address except that would involve configuring 80 or so different routers for the various sites. I've found a way to configure the TCP/IP settings via the registry but we'd have to specify the settings for each PC, which means doing them one at a time.

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to scripting, but would it be feasible/possible to create a script which grabs the TCP/IP settings for the current PC and then bases the static IP settings off that (by making those registry changes)?

What do you mean it would take configuring 80 routers? I'm not sure what your environment is like, but setting up a DHCP Reservation by MAC is pretty trivial and just has to be done on the DHCP server. No need to touch the routers, unless they're doing the DHCP :psyduck:

If you're insistent on scripting, you can use netsh to set tcp/ip information in a script.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I came across this "feature" today: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009754

So I'd like to integrate updates into my Win 7 WIM and deploy that WIM with SCCM, but before I go off looking for a guide to do it, I was wondering if anyone here has an recommendations.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002
Look back a few pages, I believe someone had good advice for dealing with it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bitch Stewie posted:

What do you all use for centralised event log management please?

Ideally something that could route events to folders so that, for example, the VSS error/warning that I get every time VMware quiesces certain VM's isn't flagged to me, but other warning/critical events are?

Anyone? I'd like to know about this too, plus one that supports *nix syslog.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

skipdogg posted:

What do you mean it would take configuring 80 routers? I'm not sure what your environment is like, but setting up a DHCP Reservation by MAC is pretty trivial and just has to be done on the DHCP server. No need to touch the routers, unless they're doing the DHCP :psyduck:

If you're insistent on scripting, you can use netsh to set tcp/ip information in a script.

The organisation I work for helps the mentally and physically handicapped. Some of our clients live in share houses with live-in carers. Each site has its own ADSL router which takes care of DHCP for any devices on its subnet. I'm not sure exactly why it's done that way, but it's not exactly something I'm in a position to change.

I'll check out netsh and see where that gets me. Thanks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FISHMANPET posted:

I came across this "feature" today: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2009754

So I'd like to integrate updates into my Win 7 WIM and deploy that WIM with SCCM, but before I go off looking for a guide to do it, I was wondering if anyone here has an recommendations.

Finding a solid guide was the hard part... and I can't find the drat guide I used. It's pretty straightforward though.

Get all your patches you want to install to the WIM, use DISM to mount the wim file.

fake edit:
I still have the command prompt windows open from when I did this.. I'll paste some stuff in here. I won't insult your intelligence by baby explaining everything, but ask for clarification if you need it.

Step 1: Mount your wim file using DISM. The command below is what I used.

C:\>dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\Win7Source\Win7Entx64.wim /mountdir:c:\Win7_WIM
/index:1

Step 2: add-packages from the folder containing all your packages. If you just select a folder it will pull all the packages in the folder. I used

C:\Win7_update_packages>dism /image:"C:\Win7_WIM" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"C:\
Win7_update_packages"

You'll see a bunch of these

Processing 54 of 66 - Adding package Package_for_KB2644615~31bf3856ad364e35~amd6
4~~6.1.1.0
[==========================100.0%==========================]

Then commit the changes to the mounted WIM

C:\Win7_update_packages>dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:c:\Win7_WIM /commit

Then import the new WIM file into WDS or SCCM or whatever you're using.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I'm starting from scratch, I can just use install.wim off of an install disk, right?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

If I'm starting from scratch, I can just use install.wim off of an install disk, right?

Correct

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Right. I had just renamed some stuff to make it easier to organize.

edit:

the hardest part was getting all the patches. I ended up using wsusoffline and that worked pretty well.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Motherfuck, it looks like I can't add SP1 to an offline Win 7 image. Why in the gently caress would they do that to me.
E: What the gently caress, apparently a work around is to just tell it "No, really, you can install this, trust me"
http://superuser.com/questions/249275/slipstream-windows-7-service-pack-1
What the gently caress Microsoft.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 9, 2012

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Can you just grab the Win7 install.wim with SP1 already in it? That's what I did.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

skipdogg posted:

Can you just grab the Win7 install.wim with SP1 already in it? That's what I did.

I'm not actually sure. The image we use has KMS baked in (though I think all that does is change the EULA). I have a base SP1 disk, but I don't think those will have the same KMS stuff. So I don't know if the KMS bits are stored in the install.wim or not.

I guess I can compare the install.wim in my disk to to an RTM disk, and see what that yields me.

quackquackquack
Nov 10, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Do you mean putting a Win7 DVD in the drive (or mounting the ISO) and grabbing the install.wim out of it?

If so, MS says not to do it, at least back in Vista. If you slot that install.wim into SCCM, the OS drive ends up as D. Here's a relevant post: http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m229612-print.aspx

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

quackquackquack posted:

Do you mean putting a Win7 DVD in the drive (or mounting the ISO) and grabbing the install.wim out of it?

If so, MS says not to do it, at least back in Vista. If you slot that install.wim into SCCM, the OS drive ends up as D. Here's a relevant post: http://www.myitforum.com/forums/m229612-print.aspx

According to a comment farther down, they fixed that in 7. I guess that's something I'll have to test.

I'd really prefer not to capture an online image because that just seems... unclean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I don't know how you're doing it, but there's install.wim on the Windows 7 iso, in the sources folder. Use WAIK to make a proper unattend.xml and you're good.