Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RizieN posted:

Gonna do one repost....Anyone got anything for me?

Naked Lunch and Videodrome spring to mind.

The guy looking for classic horror, the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is pretty violent but it's not particularly gorey, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Skwirl posted:

Naked Lunch and Videodrome spring to mind.

Two of my all time favorites ever. Man, I hope I haven't seen everything :(

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

RizieN posted:

Two of my all time favorites ever. Man, I hope I haven't seen everything :(

A Zed and Two Noughts might be up your alley.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

kuddles posted:

Reposting this from previously because I think it got buried. Recommend me some classic horror films, folks!

You could check out Ken Russel his movie are pretty cool, often with bizzare imagery.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001692/

Just found out he died last year :smith:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Parkingtigers posted:

Okay, I would like to make a request. I've been thinking back to the time that I watched that Robert Redford movie The Last Castle, and flawed though it was I bloody adore the way the pre-prepared battle plan is put into action towards the end. That sense of preparation, and then action, was exhilarating. I'd like to find more films, or even just scenes, that have leaders barking orders and putting cool plans into effect. I guess the closest other example I could think of off the top of my head would be any of several scenes in Zulu. This will probably weight towards war films (I'm fine with that) but anything from any genre would be welcomed. Whatcha got for me goons?

People poo poo on the Heath Ledger version of The Four Feathers but it certainly fits your bill. Also pretty much every Edward Zwick movie. And of course The Mission.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
Talking of horror films, can anyone recommend something with a good dose of . . . hmmm, I'm not sure what you'd call it, architectural horror?

For example, the scene in 1408 where the map on the door changes or in Grave Encounters where the hospital starts reconfiguring itself around them, stairs leading to nowhere, that sort of thing. Or to even expand a little, stuff like roads that lead back round to their origin with people getting lost.

I suppose what I'm looking for is films where the setting/geography/surroundings are an eerie or malevolent force, working against or confusing the people who get trapped there.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MILTONS COD posted:

Talking of horror films, can anyone recommend something with a good dose of . . . hmmm, I'm not sure what you'd call it, architectural horror?

For example, the scene in 1408 where the map on the door changes or in Grave Encounters where the hospital starts reconfiguring itself around them, stairs leading to nowhere, that sort of thing. Or to even expand a little, stuff like roads that lead back round to their origin with people getting lost.

I suppose what I'm looking for is films where the setting/geography/surroundings are an eerie or malevolent force, working against or confusing the people who get trapped there.

Cube is basically exactly what you're looking for.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

MILTONS COD posted:

There's a not-so-good movie I saw semi-recently on cable starring Ray Wise where he and his family are lost on this weird road. I can't recall the name right now, but it was made within the past 5 or 10 years and it might scratch your itch.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Voodoofly posted:

A Zed and Two Noughts might be up your alley.

You're right.. gonna check this out if I can find it somewhere. Thanks!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

RizieN posted:

You're right.. gonna check this out if I can find it somewhere. Thanks!

Netflix has it. And if you like it, check out The Cook, the Thief, His Wife and Her Lover if you haven't seen it.

MILTONS COD
Dec 30, 2006

The heart of standing is we cannot fly.
Thanks for the recs guys, I'll be checking them out. That Ray Wise flick sounds like someone made a movie version of No Through Road.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

RizieN posted:

Gonna do one repost....Anyone got anything for me?

Paranoia 1.0

trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmemeDLtvbg

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

MILTONS COD posted:

You should watch Eden Log, it's very interesting.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv5lYKC2D74

Seconding morestuff's recommendation of the classic Canadian low budget CUBE

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY5PkidV1cM

A couple of more typically Hollywood movies:

Mirrors, with Kiefer Sutherland.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O92QxxgeCO8

13 Ghosts is hokey but you might like some of it

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0245674/

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 27, 2012

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

There's a not-so-good movie I saw semi-recently on cable starring Ray Wise where he and his family are lost on this weird road. I can't recall the name right now, but it was made within the past 5 or 10 years and it might scratch your itch.

Yeah this was an entertaining movie to discover on late night tv, the plot twists and turns keep getting more and more bizarre.

Dead End.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MILTONS COD posted:

I usually recommend it to anyone who wants creepy horror, but Silent Hill is perfect for you (as is the aforementioned Cube). Silent Hill has a lot of flaws (pretty much any exposition-dump scene with Sean Bean, the last 20 minutes), but one thing it NAILS is the atmosphere of doom and dread in the town itself. It looks like you might imagine hell to look, were it real.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

MILTONS COD posted:

Well, it's not exactly obscure at all, but Event Horizon, which I bloody well love, has this in spades. The entire spaceship is just one giant gothic torture chamber.

I'd also go with John Carpenter's original of The Fog. The feeling of creeping dread as the fog surrounds and engulfs the town definitely fit the bill.

Also, I want to say a HUGE thank you to Kuddles for recommending Leverage for my "plans being put into action" request. I watched the first episode this morning before work, and I don't know if it's a cool programme to like or not, but I thought it was glorious. It scratched the itch that I had, and was a huge amount of fun on its own merits. Can't remember the last time I watched a TV show that made me grin with delight like a loving idiot. Thanks very much, I've got 3 seasons of this to savour according to Wikipedia so this will keep me going for ages.

Edit: just watched another episode, and seriously this is my new favourite show.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 29, 2012

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I love dark comedies and I am always looking for more, along the lines of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang or Worlds Greatest Dad also loved the new Bobcat movie God Bless America any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Flaggy posted:

I love dark comedies and I am always looking for more, along the lines of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang or Worlds Greatest Dad also loved the new Bobcat movie God Bless America any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Ace in the Hole
Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
Withnail & I
Being John Malkovich
Grosse Pointe Blank
In Bruges
The Guard
Assassination of a High School President (sort of)
Harold and Maude
Trainspotting
The Apartment
In the Loop
Four Lions
12:08 East of Bucharest
The Trip
Death at a Funeral (sort of) (the British one)
A Fish Called Wanda
The Matador
Fargo

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Flaggy posted:

Great recommendations above /\
And since you like Robin Williams in World's Greatest Dad, check out
Death To Smoochy
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4kbKkimKBk

Very Bad Things
. Terrific cast, very dark humour.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObsivKt_XzA

The Ref. Kevin Spacey, Denis Leary, Judy Davis in a triangle...of hate for each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_26ROmuSyTQ

Kevin Spacey again, in Swimming With Sharks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFs5rDGU6Dc

The wonderful Rachel Weisz is a manipulative bitch to Paul Rudd in
The Shape Of Things
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXgmAGyeW8c

Secretary with James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kwyakTPolk

And lastly...Dummy. Not a great movie but my favourite Milla Jovovich role.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky3alFpiwTk

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 30, 2012

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm looking for recommendation for space-horror movies. Movies in the vein of Alien, Event Horizon, and Prometheus. Please no DOOM.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Saturn 3 is a creepy loving movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079285/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENxIu02bvg

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

I'm looking for recommendation for space-horror movies. Movies in the vein of Alien, Event Horizon, and Prometheus. Please no DOOM.

Sunshine gets pretty scary, and Pandorum is perfect for what you want.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Armyman25 posted:

Saturn 3 is a creepy loving movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079285/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NENxIu02bvg

Written by Martin Amis! I think I'll check this out.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Flaggy posted:

Burn After Reading, if you haven't seen it.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

Flaggy posted:

Dark comedies eh? These might be up your alley if you haven't already seen 'em:

The King of Comedy
After Hours
Network
In The Company of Men
Election

Yeah. I'll think of more later.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Are there any good spider movies other than Arachnophobia, Kingdom of the Spiders, and Eight-Legged Freaks? I'm not really interested in giant spiders unless the movie is extra good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Strontosaurus posted:

Are there any good spider movies other than Arachnophobia, Kingdom of the Spiders, and Eight-Legged Freaks? I'm not really interested in giant spiders unless the movie is extra good.

Spider-Man 2

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Strontosaurus posted:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

technically not a giant spider

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Ooh, also Lost in Space has both regular and Gary Oldman-sized spiders.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FitFortDanga posted:

The Incredible Shrinking Man

technically not a giant spider

Everything's relative.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm looking for good films that feature serial killers, preferably ones that study their psychology rather than glorifying them.

I'm going to check out American Psycho.

I recently watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Man Bites Dog, Day of the Jackal (hired assassin, not a serial killer), and Kalifornia. I enjoyed each one of those in different ways.

Not really keen on Hitchcock, at least not Vertigo and Rear Window. I think I went into them with really high expectations that weren't met. I liked Psycho, though. The Shining is amazing. Se7en is tremendous.

Is Fincher's Zodiac worth checking out? I usually stay away from the ones that are based primarily on actual killers, but I've heard good things about this one. I feel like the biographical pieces feature much less storytelling, and too much recollection of facts.

to the post below me:

I love Monster. Good call. I'll check out Henry.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 3, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Henry: Portrait of A Serial Killer and Monster should be next on your list.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

escape artist posted:

Is Fincher's Zodiac worth checking out? I usually stay away from the ones that are based primarily on actual killers, but I've heard good things about this one. I feel like the biographical pieces feature much less storytelling, and too much recollection of facts.

Zodiac is improbably good. It makes a great companion piece to Memories of Murder, which isn't quite what you're asking for, but it is the single best serial killer movie ever made.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Seconding Henry and MoM.

Also Peeping Tom and Vengeance Is Mine.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I thought Mr. Brooks was pretty good for showing a serial killer's internal dialogue but I seem to be a minority in liking that film and also have an irrational obsession with William Hurt.

The other films already mentioned should come first though.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 3, 2012

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010
You are not alone in liking Mr. Brooks. I wasn't even aware people disliked it.

I really think you should give it a go, cause i think it's great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I kept confusing Mr. Brooks with Michael Clayton. Luckily, both are really good!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Wow, even for a film based on a serial killer, Henry is one grisly movie. It was pretty short-- I expected another 30 minutes or so when it ended.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I will watch them all.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Posting to throw Citizen X in the mix, because even though it's a TV movie (made for HBO in 1995), it is one of my all time favourite serial killer films. I know you said you usually steer clear of true to life stories, but this one's a good watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Thanks for the recommendation. Now that I think of it, there are some good ones that have a basis in reality, Monster and Henry, for example. I was mainly thinking about the slew of crap that came out about ten years ago-- Dahmer and Bundy come to mind.

HBO movies tend to be of a better quality than most TV movies, so I look forward to it.

Henry was really good. It was reminiscent of Man Bites Dog because while they are both very graphic and disturbing, they still retain artistic integrity. Both are well-acted and well-directed.

• Locked thread