Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Canuck-Errant posted:

Hahaha I still have the garbage bag goretex. I swear, someone in substores hates me.

You need to TELL them you need it not ASK for it. assuming you've finished your BMQ/SQ you are entitled to it. same goes for those snazzy goretex socks. go back to 17 wing and try talking to the filipino he's a civilian and is more than happy to give stuff away. the uniformed bin rats seem to have some hoarding tendencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

12gaugelobotomy posted:

You need to TELL them you need it not ASK for it. assuming you've finished your BMQ/SQ you are entitled to it. same goes for those snazzy goretex socks. go back to 17 wing and try talking to the filipino he's a civilian and is more than happy to give stuff away. the uniformed bin rats seem to have some hoarding tendencies.

Well the LS at the NSkR armoury is a pretty cool dude, but they never seem to have anything useful in stock :/

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012
Try stopping in at the stores in Shilo, they are the only reason I have my ranger blanket now. you can get issued stuff from anywhere apparently.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Try stopping in at the stores in Shilo, they are the only reason I have my ranger blanket now. you can get issued stuff from anywhere apparently.

When I was there(up until 6 months ago) you couldn't get cadpat rain gear unless your other poo poo was ripped. I only got mine because they were required for Podium. I was reg force artillery(I mention this because reg force combat arms units get all the neat poo poo before anyone else)

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

When I was there(up until 6 months ago) you couldn't get cadpat rain gear unless your other poo poo was ripped. I only got mine because they were required for Podium. I was reg force artillery(I mention this because reg force combat arms units get all the neat poo poo before anyone else)

weird. I've never had a problem getting new things issued (except for the great Tac-Vest fiasco of 2009) and I'm only a Res Medic.
except for that new ruck they've come out with, I'm avoiding that one as long as I can.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

12gaugelobotomy posted:

weird. I've never had a problem getting new things issued (except for the great Tac-Vest fiasco of 2009) and I'm only a Res Medic.
except for that new ruck they've come out with, I'm avoiding that one as long as I can.

Don't avoid getting the ruck. It holds more and is a lot better on the back. You can adjust that thing to all hell and make it nice and comfortable.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

Don't avoid getting the ruck. It holds more and is a lot better on the back. You can adjust that thing to all hell and make it nice and comfortable.

I've heard all sorts of arguments for and against it. But I guess I'll find out eventually if they ever get to fitting my unit for it.
But it probably won't matter I don't used my current one that often. It usually just sits in the truck when I'm doing med support if I do bring it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

12gaugelobotomy posted:

I've heard all sorts of arguments for and against it. But I guess I'll find out eventually if they ever get to fitting my unit for it.
But it probably won't matter I don't used my current one that often. It usually just sits in the truck when I'm doing med support if I do bring it.

The only argument for it should be "it's fitted to your back so it never digs in or feels too long" and the only argument against it should be "they can make you put more poo poo in it so ruck marches are harder" and only pumps would use that argument against it.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

The only argument for it should be "it's fitted to your back so it never digs in or feels too long" and the only argument against it should be "they can make you put more poo poo in it so ruck marches are harder" and only pumps would use that argument against it.

something like that but more "It's custom fitted until you put body armor and such on" and "it weighs like 15lbs empty" plus "it's got a sweet compression sack" and "i loving hate this compression sack"

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
It's essentially one gigantic bag that makes it incredibly difficult to organize any sort of kit you'd need operationally. Any sort of compartmentalized storage is done with the additional little bags it comes with that make it even more unwieldy. The bottom compartment itself is unusable for mission essential equipment since you can't cinch only the bottom part together, causing the top section containing all your snivvle kit to buckle in the middle. And obviously you're not going to put all your snivvle kit in the bottom and your water/food/ammo/equipment on the top. Also the compression sack it comes with is, although somewhat effective, ridiculous in the amount of straps and buckles it has.

It's great for "as per the kit list and nothing else" ruck marches. It's awful for everything else. Get a jump ruck.

edit: Forgot to add, combining the new ruck with the new parachute drop bags ends up in probably 30+lbs of CADPAT canvas and buckles. Without anything in it.

acumen fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 27, 2012

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I never had a problem with organizing it to find poo poo easily in the field so I guess people need better organizational skillz

12gaugelobotomy posted:

something like that but more "It's custom fitted until you put body armor and such on" and "it weighs like 15lbs empty" plus "it's got a sweet compression sack" and "i loving hate this compression sack"

Make 2 sets of bars, one with with your body armor on and one without. It's pretty easy to switch them. We always used our body armor with them in the field.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What kind of differences are there between the old CFAOs and the DAODs?
Are there any big rule changes?

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Frosted Flake posted:

What kind of differences are there between the old CFAOs and the DAODs?
Are there any big rule changes?

There's not really a single answer except CFAOs are old and DAODs are new. DAODs and other pubs are being written regularly to replace CFAOs, and some CFAOs are just being cancelled outright. To find out what's changed you'd have to read the specific DAOD and the CFAO that it's superceded (which will be referenced in the DAOD text.)

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Went to work at 443 MH Sqn today. Wow, what a culture shock. First names. Virtually no saluting. Majors going out of their way to introduce themselves to us.

They're sending out 3 heliairdets in the next couple of months, but every person any of us (3 OJTs) made eye contact with took the time to acknowledge our existences and it didn't seem all that frantic, just busy.

The biggest shock is our OJT senior guy, a 2Lt who failed Phase 2 so is on his way out of the AF. He was happy. He says 443 is awesome, as does our Capt. The most enthusiasm I've ever seen for a unit to this point has been "it's OK." Spent $75 on flight suit patches...

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Any of you guys ever take advantage of the NCM education benefits? I just met with the education counsellor in Edmonton and if anyone is interested in taking online university courses the army will reimburse you up to 28 000$. They'll pay for books, course related fees and even a private tutor if you need one. Doesn't even need to be trade related, for example I want to get a bachelor of commerce degree and I'm a combat engineer. They are going to pay for it even though having an advanced understanding of economics isn't going to help me swing a pickaxe any harder.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

Any of you guys ever take advantage of the NCM education benefits? I just met with the education counsellor in Edmonton and if anyone is interested in taking online university courses the army will reimburse you up to 28 000$. They'll pay for books, course related fees and even a private tutor if you need one. Doesn't even need to be trade related, for example I want to get a bachelor of commerce degree and I'm a combat engineer. They are going to pay for it even though having an advanced understanding of economics isn't going to help me swing a pickaxe any harder.

When I was looking into it last summer they said they'd pay the entire thing. I wonder when this changed.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
The reason I didn't take advantage is because tasking or ex could take you away at a critical time and you would end up throwing away a whole semester.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If someone wants to take the initiative over the next couple of days and compile a new OP, that'd be nice. The thread's getting kind of big.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Morristron posted:

The reason I didn't take advantage is because tasking or ex could take you away at a critical time and you would end up throwing away a whole semester.

The BPSO told me that the professors are very lenient with extensions due to ex's or deployments. She got her degree when she was ncm something or other then ot'd to bpso.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gently caress when I was reserves I got half my tuition back per year, 2k per year. That's a nice little boost for sure.

Also a friend of mine with a BA in French and who is a teacher went to go enlist in the CF

As a weapons tech

I laughed at him for a minute straight before telling him he was a loving idiot and to cut that poo poo out. Never go enlisted with a degree. Ever.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

My Spirit Otter posted:

The BPSO told me that the professors are very lenient with extensions due to ex's or deployments. She got her degree when she was ncm something or other then ot'd to bpso.

It depends on the school. UManitoba has programs designed for CF members, and Athabasca is distance learning that gives 6 months per course. Athabasca courses are heart-stoppingly expensive but if you're only doing one or two at a time there's no problem (remember, you are reimbursed costs after you successfully finish the course, and sometimes they are not timely in doing so). You can do DL at RMC too. If you're trying to do a DL course at a normal school the prof is more than likely going to tell you to gently caress your hat.

Doing school very part time while serving isn't a problem, I did most of the OPME program on my own time. That said, I was ashore. I had no desire or motivation to tackle university courses when I was sailing 250 days a year.

I sailed with a guy who did exactly the same as your PSO. He's a PSO in Gagetown now as far as I know.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

With the educational benefits I'm already getting in the reserves, is it worth applying for RETP or should I just finish my degree and DEO afterwards?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Frosted Flake posted:

With the educational benefits I'm already getting in the reserves, is it worth applying for RETP or should I just finish my degree and DEO afterwards?

The benefits we were talking about require you to be reg force.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Yeah I'm doing Athabasca on-line courses, so even if I get sent on back to back ex's I should be able to pass any course I take. I only want to take like 5 a year, just so I have a head start on Uni when my contract is up in two years. Athabasca charges a metric fuckton per course, like $600 per, but if the army is paying for it I don't care.

And yeah, reservists are only eligible for like $2000 a year.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I just want to add you have to eat the cost until you provide proof that you pass the course

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Oh yeah sorry should have mentioned that. It's a reimbursement program that's conditional on passing the course.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
CFAT booked for Monday. Progress, how sweet it is!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Don't do it, man. There are better options

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Yeah, like making $12/hr flying questionably maintained trash haulers in the civy world. Maybe even Jazz for $25k/yr.

He's applying for pilot. Not digging ditches in Gagetown or Wainwright.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Athabasca charges a metric fuckton per course, like $600 per

My university courses were usually over 700 and that was still the cheapest university in the city.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Per course or per credit? Per course that's not that bad.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Don't do it, man. There are better options

compressioncut posted:

Yeah, like making $12/hr flying questionably maintained trash haulers in the civy world. Maybe even Jazz for $25k/yr.

He's applying for pilot. Not digging ditches in Gagetown or Wainwright.

That's what I was going to say. In addition to compressioncut's point, the flying in the civy world is more or less bus/truck driving in the sky. Point-Point with nothing "interesting" happening. On the CF side things are more, well, interesting.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Desi posted:

That's what I was going to say. In addition to compressioncut's point, the flying in the civy world is more or less bus/truck driving in the sky. Point-Point with nothing "interesting" happening. On the CF side things are more, well, interesting.

Well, if you've ever seen how the CF maintains it's vehicles, I just hope for your sake that the avn and avs techs do a better job. And something interesting happening while I am flying is definitely not something I'd want. Just a boring safe trip from point a to point b.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
I trust AF techs way, way more than some fly-by-night offshore maintenance organization. And at least some airframes are manufacturer maintained at the deeper levels (newer ones like C-17 and J-Hercs for sure).

The air force is so different it's not worth comparing, at least the flying side.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
Absolutely I'd trust AF techs, and from my outsiders opinion, this has got to be one of the least important considerations in my decision to apply. Compressioncut has a point too with the fly-by-night offshore maintenance organizations used by civilian carriers. If the stringency of aircraft maintenance is something you fear, I suggest you not read up on that topic.

"Interesting" flights are what separates those that want to be pilots from those destined to be passengers, I had a great time doing spins/stalls/spirals/etc in my Private Pilot training. Passengers, if there had been any, probably would have been terrified.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Coming up from the bottom in civilian aviation sounds like an absolute nightmare (for all involved - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/flyingcheap/view/).

Our senior OJT, who failed Phase 2, and is full commercial multiengine IFR, was offered a flying job at one of the companies across the apron. That's where I got my $12/hr figure. $40k for a vanilla commercial with no valuable endorsements and no experience only to make barely minimum wage - if you're lucky to get a job at all - isn't my idea of a better option.

That said, here's a hosed up story. The above mentioned OJT did aircrew selection and the failure rate was typical, 60-70% One of the guys that failed had a similar level of previous experience, commercial multi. So the OJT eventually goes to Portage for Phase 1 where all the instructors are contracted civilians, and who does he run in to? The ASC failure who is now an instructor on Phase 1! A guy who will never ever be an AF pilot is instructing future AF pilots. Crazy.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Looks like the three operational commands are being merged again to cut costs post-Afghanistan and Lybia:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/dnd-to-cut-costs-by-merging-command-of-domestic-overseas-canadian-forces/article2422352/

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

compressioncut posted:

A guy who will never ever be an AF pilot is instructing future AF pilots. Crazy.

Not to mention that the Phase 1 CFI is also one of those people who failed out years ago at ACS too.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

A guy who will never ever be an AF pilot is instructing future AF pilots. Crazy.

This is why I have a problem with the AF contracting out almost everything they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Welp, back from Ex Northern Bison, which turned out like Western Defender last year - opfor did too well, had to be crippled, blah blah.

I wound up seconded to the line section, which meant sitting in my mod tent with my Kindle. Yep.