Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Zurui says he should have the next Airport part out tomorrow. That should make it 90% complete. I'm not sure if they've decided to do the 2 hours of unaired stuff or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
241-270 of the Airport Batsu is up.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Yamasaki's face when he sees Chono is amazing.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Where can I watch the Tasty Rice videos?

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
Crazy on TV has links to almost all Gaki clips, including Absolutely Tasty Rice.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So I have just spent almost an entire day watching Gaki. 24 Hour Tag, the Police batsu, Silent Library, Absolutely Tasty... I'm in love :swoon: My stomach hurts from laughing so much. Jesus christ, these men. Definitely the best way to kill a free day that I can imagine. I want to watch Spy and Airport the next time I have several hours to spare, are there any other must-sees?

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
The Hot Springs batsu game is really good.

Don't be in any rush to get through all the recent games, they recycle so much material that it's hard to stomach at points. You'll get burnt out if you try to marathon them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Hospital is a must watch, it's absolutely brilliant all over. I'd go easy on Spy but Airport is extremely good. Other smaller stuff include the Gorenjai games, Cosplay Bus Tour, and the Kiki Series.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Not sure if Crazy on TV has these but they were also good.

Happy Birthday Yamasaki.
Yamasaki kills 100 people [something like this. Basically he's dressed as a Samurai and must 'kill' 100 people.
And the episode where Yamasaki proves he isn't a crybaby by playing a piano in an old abandoned building.

Basically this guy is amazing.

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! :blush: Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while. :(

Dizz posted:

Not sure if Crazy on TV has these but they were also good.

Happy Birthday Yamasaki.
Yamasaki kills 100 people [something like this. Basically he's dressed as a Samurai and must 'kill' 100 people.
And the episode where Yamasaki proves he isn't a crybaby by playing a piano in an old abandoned building.

Basically this guy is amazing.

Here's the piano one

http://crazyontv.com/yamasakis-haunted-piano-concert/

E: Looks like the killing 100 people one is down

EE: New source
http://gakifiles.blogspot.ca/2011/10/yama-no-ishibashi-slaying-100-people.html

Bad Bromance fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 24, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Yea, you found it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

This is loving hilarious! Someone wanting to be a fake badass and his friends not letting him has to have universal comedic value.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

El Generico posted:

This is loving hilarious! Someone wanting to be a fake badass and his friends not letting him has to have universal comedic value.

He did bring it up on himself though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

When they had to reset the count, that was what killed me.

"What's the count at right now?"

"2944"

They didn't just stop Yamasaki from doing what he wanted, they took him so far in the opposite direction.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

El Generico posted:

Dizz posted:

He did bring it up on himself though.

That's his character. He's supposed to be the lovable loser and they're supposed to kinda pick on, bully and ignore him.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

That's his character. He's supposed to be the lovable loser and they're supposed to kinda pick on, bully and ignore him.

Nonsense. Look at how much they love him at his birthday.

http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/2011/08/happy-birthday-yama-chan.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The Goodbye, Yamasaki series is amazing if you like how they treat him in other things.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dizz posted:

Nonsense. Look at how much they love him at his birthday.

http://gakifiles.blogspot.com/2011/08/happy-birthday-yama-chan.html

Holy poo poo the teddy bear needs to be giffed

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Psalmanazar posted:

Holy poo poo the teddy bear needs to be giffed

The Mamedanuki part needs to be Giffed too.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Probably my favorite thing ever is in the batsu games when Chozo shows up and Yamasaki always gets picked on. Never fails to send me to the ground laughing.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

pwnyXpress posted:

Probably my favorite thing ever is in the batsu games when Chozo shows up and Yamasaki always gets picked on. Never fails to send me to the ground laughing.

Those parts are easily my favourites too. The best one is probably the Newspaper Agency game because Yamazaki really thought he was going to be safe. And the look on his face going from happiness to horror was priceless. Watch it here, just after the 12 minute mark.

Also, thank you futurememory for linking CrazyOnTv.com. I've been watching videos like a mad-man since you posted it.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

pwnyXpress posted:

Chono is one of my favorite bits in every batsu game he's been in, partially because I liked him back when he wrestled in the US for the WCW in the 90s so he's already a familiar face. The Airport one has a great setup because they think the terrorist bit is over after the SAT has run in, and then you hear Chono yell "GOD drat" from out of sight and Yamasaki's expression totally changes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Here's some skits from a show Cocorico used to have for awhile. Most people that keep strictly to GnT and especially the batsu games get shocked to find out that Tanaka is the boke of the duo and is the crazier, usually funnier of the two. His demeanor and lifestyle as the "normal" guy of the group belies his amazing sense of humor.

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/video-subbing-cocoricos-skit-show.html

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I felt the same way when I saw Tanaka in Takashi Miike's Zebraman 2. It was surprising to see him in a more expressive, comical role when he's usually a straight man on GnT. He definitely has some range.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"
This thread has been an absolutely amazing treasure trove of Japanese TV, particularly of the variety kind.

But I was stumbling through Wikipedia's Japanese television entries and I feel like I just fell down a rabbit hole.

Researching owarai led to all these comedic tropes and assignments. Are there any other good variety shows beyond Gaki? (and Tore!, which comes off as much more game-show-like than anything else).

This led me to tokusatsu (superhero/Power Rangers/Godzilla stuff), jidaigeki (costume drama) and asadora (the Japanese equivalent of the daytime soap/telenovela format). Does anyone have any recommendations for these genres? It seems like a tremendous amount of stuff has been translated (entire 151 episode runs of some of the asadora, for example), but where do you even start with all of this?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Crotch Bat posted:

The Hospital is a must watch, it's absolutely brilliant all over. I'd go easy on Spy but Airport is extremely good. Other smaller stuff include the Gorenjai games, Cosplay Bus Tour, and the Kiki Series.

Thanks for the KiKi recommendation, I'm going through them now. The beer one where both Hamada and Matsumoto get visibly drunk is amazing. I really liked the toothpaste one too (if only for Yamasaki's reaction to winning :3:).

e: I also watched all the Yamasaki bits mentioned above, the piano concert is hilarious. And almost everything about Happy Birthday Yamasaki is giffable ("a raw octopus hat!!" ...it's not just raw, it's loving alive). There's something so tragic about a man being given a giant teddy bear for his birthday and going to hug it, at which point it attacks him.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 27, 2012

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

futurememory posted:

This led me to tokusatsu (superhero/Power Rangers/Godzilla stuff), jidaigeki (costume drama) and asadora (the Japanese equivalent of the daytime soap/telenovela format). Does anyone have any recommendations for these genres?

Tokusatsu is relatively popular amongst westerners so there's lots of fan-subbed stuff out there.

This thread isn't a bad place to start if you're interested in that:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431255

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Has anyone watched a detective series called Galileo?

I recently read the Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino and really liked it, so I'm curious about Galileo, which is apparently based on one of the characters in the book.

I've never watched any Japanese TV before.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Chas McGill posted:

I recently read the Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino and really liked it, so I'm curious about Galileo, which is apparently based on one of the characters in the book.

Japanese procedurals aren't all that different from American ones, I've found. Maybe a bit more emphasis on having a romantic relationship develop for its leads. Any additional quirks or touches that wouldn't normally be found in an American procedural is usually due to the Japanese audience. Which means you ought to avoid poo poo like Maid Deka, but you were probably going to avoid that anyway.

The cases apparently hold true to the books, so those are interesting enough, and the actors are pretty good at their jobs. And there is a spin-off movie with the same title if you'd like to stick to a plot you already know to be good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought Galileo was somewhat entertaining in a silly sort of way but at the same time I found the actual details of the murders in each episode to be completely ridiculous, not just in terms of insane methods but also motives. Its culprits committed murder for some of the stupidest reasons I have ever seen on television, and considering the precedent established by shows such as Law & Order and CSI, that's saying something.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

mystes posted:

I thought Galileo was somewhat entertaining in a silly sort of way but at the same time I found the actual details of the murders in each episode to be completely ridiculous, not just in terms of insane methods but also motives. Its culprits committed murder for some of the stupidest reasons I have ever seen on television, and considering the precedent established by shows such as Law & Order and CSI, that's saying something.

I get what you're trying to say but this just makes me want to watch it more now.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

On the topic of procedurals, a new one called 'Answer' started a couple of weeks back. It seems to have been 'ripped from the headlines' in that it's based on the idea that the Japanese police go for quick convictions that may be wrong or unsafe rather than deep investigations.

The show is about a 'verfication bureau' that actually try to investigate closed cases.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Answer

It's more on the serious end I think, though still quite light-hearted compared to most US shows.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Dr_Amazing posted:

I get what you're trying to say but this just makes me want to watch it more now.

Yeah, me too, though one of the things I liked about the book was how restrained and contained the story was.

Thanks for your thoughts on the show, everyone. I'll check out the first episode and see how I get on with my first Japanese TV.

As an aside, I looked at the OP but it just seemed to be about one of the zany gameshows. Has there been a post with a general overview of good J-dramas or anything?

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Here's some skits from a show Cocorico used to have for awhile. Most people that keep strictly to GnT and especially the batsu games get shocked to find out that Tanaka is the boke of the duo and is the crazier, usually funnier of the two. His demeanor and lifestyle as the "normal" guy of the group belies his amazing sense of humor.

http://jburogu-godzillaradio.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/video-subbing-cocoricos-skit-show.html

Whoa, thanks for the link. Count me as one of the people who exclusively watched the batsu games and, even though I'd always liked Tanaka, found this to be a pleasant surprise! Why in the world does he keep quiet as much as he does? The only time he really seems to shine in the batsu games is when he collapses in terror.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

As an aside, I looked at the OP but it just seemed to be about one of the zany gameshows. Has there been a post with a general overview of good J-dramas or anything?
If you have archives there were two threads in ADTRW in 2009 and 2010 respectively:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3138238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3263599

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Chas McGill posted:

I very much enjoyed Galileo, but it does get a bit silly at times. And as already said some of the motivations are pretty stupid. But overall quite good. Shinzanmono <sp> is also a very good show (with Abe Hiroshi) based on a outsider police officer working out a very stupid crime.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Saturday Mornings posted:

Whoa, thanks for the link. Count me as one of the people who exclusively watched the batsu games and, even though I'd always liked Tanaka, found this to be a pleasant surprise! Why in the world does he keep quiet as much as he does? The only time he really seems to shine in the batsu games is when he collapses in terror.

My theory, wholly founded on my somewhat limited knowledge of Japanese comedy and therefore could be entirely wrong, is that Tanaka really buys into the senior/junior stuff and thinks of the batsu as the time for Downtown and Yamasaki(considered his senior) to shine and that he shouldn't take away from their spotlight unless he's specifically directed to do so.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Does anyone remember a Japanese show they used to have on Spike? It was a variety type show where the hosts would introduce a myth busters style situation and everyone would guess what will happen.

They had a lot of cool stuff but it didn't last long at all. There was a similar show that focused more on human challenges and this wasn't it. The one I want had more like science facts and things.

The example I remember best was when they showed that a normal rubber band could fly X meters when stretched and released. Then they used tractors to stretch a 30 meter rubber band to see the distance would also increase by the same scale. (it didn't)

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Dr_Amazing posted:

Does anyone remember a Japanese show they used to have on Spike? It was a variety type show where the hosts would introduce a myth busters style situation and everyone would guess what will happen.

They had a lot of cool stuff but it didn't last long at all. There was a similar show that focused more on human challenges and this wasn't it. The one I want had more like science facts and things.

The example I remember best was when they showed that a normal rubber band could fly X meters when stretched and released. Then they used tractors to stretch a 30 meter rubber band to see the distance would also increase by the same scale. (it didn't)

In english, it was Hey! Spring of Trivia.

Rack fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

futurememory posted:

Researching owarai led to all these comedic tropes and assignments. Are there any other good variety shows beyond Gaki? (and Tore!, which comes off as much more game-show-like than anything else).

Well there are clips out there from Gottsu ee Kanji, Downtown's older show from the 90s. I'm also a big fan of Lincoln, which is hosted by Downtown and usually has a fairly large cast of comedians, and MechaIke (Mecha-Mecha Iketeru is the full name I think). There's a decent little pool of clips/episodes of Lincoln available subtitled, but MechaIke stuff is a bit harder to find.