Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Al2001 posted:

Yeah Clive Anderson, a mediocre talkshow host is clearly of greater value to society than Germaine Greer, someone with actual intelligence/expertise/character.

Clive Anderson is an ex-barrister and a legend of British TV comedy. I'd say he's of at least equal if not greater value than Germaine Greer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Still haven't watched the last one. Have it recorded, but forgot about it.

Incidentally, it's about watching and recording things you remember.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Tempo 119 posted:

Incidentally, it's about watching and recording things you remember.

Haha, brilliant.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

reality_groove posted:

Clive Anderson is an ex-barrister and a legend of British TV comedy. I'd say he's of at least equal if not greater value than Germaine Greer.

I only remember him for his crass little Beegees incident, but if you can show me a clip of him being a legend of comedy fair enough. Probably still not as good as being a feminist icon and respected Shakespeare scholar though.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Al2001 posted:

I only remember him for his crass little Beegees incident, but if you can show me a clip of him being a legend of comedy fair enough. Probably still not as good as being a feminist icon and respected Shakespeare scholar though.

If we're really comparing relative merit, which one has been on "I'm a Celebrity"?

Testro
May 2, 2009

Al2001 posted:

The HIGNFY appearance when he rather put Piers Morgan in his place is probably a favourite in this thread. "Ian is a REGULAR, Piers - people have come to see him!"

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Testro posted:

The HIGNFY appearance when he rather put Piers Morgan in his place is probably a favourite in this thread. "Ian is a REGULAR, Piers - people have come to see him!"

to be fair, everyone puts Piers Morgan in his place

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I thought it was an abnormally good drama for British TV, and the actor portraying the main character put in an amazing performance. So nuanced.

Exactly. The other two leading men were pretty forgettable but he put on an amazing performance.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

I swear it is that bloody clock and the music that makes your brain panic, I'm quite good at Scrabble!

My friend always does the countdown music when he really wants someone to hurry the gently caress up. He once got us thrown out of a taxi in the piss rain for doing Countdown Clock on a cabbie :(

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I have to admit that I am in love with Sun, Sex and Suspicious Parents. It manages to portray that age group (around 18) as real people rather than the caricatures that we are often shown (the really awkward or the incredibly self destructive). The episode tonight had a particularly great group of girls who didn't really fall into any of the supposed stereotypes.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Al2001 posted:

Here you go.

And Greer is a horrible person.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Z-Magic posted:

Here you go.

This.

Anderson is a great servant to panel show comedy both on TV and radio. Plus he seems like a nice guy.

Germaine Greer is a rather nasty person and has totally sold out on her academic reputation, deserved or otherwise. Plus she is consistently terrible on Newsnight Review.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Z-Magic posted:

Here you go.

Those were awesome, thanks for posting them, had forgotten. I love Clive but these clips are more a testimonial of the great Peter Cook though to be fair.

And yes germaine greer isnt in clive andersons league.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Yeah I don't get how Anderson basking in Cook's reflected glory proves anything. Greer is dodgy on transgender stuff and has a recent habit of courting controversy for controversy's sake BUT she's genuinely interesting as a writer, thinker and critic (seriously she was one of the best on Newsnight Review...oh for the days of the two Greers and Tom Paulin!)

You guys are literally comparing a smug talk show host with one of the most influential academics of the last century. Also I've never seen a TV appearance where she came across as "nasty" which is more than can be said for Clive.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Al2001 posted:

You guys are literally comparing a smug talk show host with one of the most influential academics of the last century.

I wouldn't call Clive Anderson one of the most influential academics of the last century. And when did Greer host a talk show?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Appropriate Adult was great.

"8...... ok 9."

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Al2001 posted:

You guys are literally comparing a smug talk show host with one of the most influential academics of the last century. Also I've never seen a TV appearance where she came across as "nasty" which is more than can be said for Clive.

She may be an influential academic but for some reason she really annoys me on comedy shows. Clive Anderson is much better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm not really surprised seeing one teaches people and the other amuses them. Why are we even talking about this? at least bring up those funny Monkey Dust sketches when we discuss Clive Anderson (got I miss that program so much).

Also, why isn't he in a show with Kelsey Grammer yet? I would seriously would watch that.

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~
The 'crass little Beegees incident' is actually very funny. If anybody comes out of it badly, it's not Clive. If we're going to climb far enough up our own bottoms to start using phrases like 'crass little Beegees incident', then I'd say that the Beegees interview is a seminal moment, a perfectly formed display of the raging, humourless ego and entitlement complex of the modern celebrity. It also demonstrates that the now-dead Beegee was the best one, because he had a sense of humour.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It wasn't even the 'tossers' gag that prompted the Bee Gees to walk off, one of them took the huff when Clive insinuated that his solo material wasn't as memorable as one of the others'.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm not really surprised seeing one teaches people and the other amuses them. Why are we even talking about this?

It's because someone called Germaine Greer's value to humanity into question and I had to "white knight" her because I'm sick of people implying that making a few poor decisions in one's twilight years retroactively destroys all the good work someone has done in the past. Also I've always found Greer quite charming and self-deprecating on TV but no-one else agrees.

But yeah it is tedious, sorry.

Also I thought I remembered Clive Anderson saying something about the dead Bee Gee but obviously confused that incident with something else so apologies for that too.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

thehustler posted:

Appropriate Adult was great.

"8...... ok 9."

I only saw the first part when it was originally on but it was great. Dominic West is a really good actor. Are they repeating it now it's been nominated for awards? I'd like to see the second part.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

SavoyTruffle posted:

The 'crass little Beegees incident' is actually very funny. If anybody comes out of it badly, it's not Clive. If we're going to climb far enough up our own bottoms to start using phrases like 'crass little Beegees incident', then I'd say that the Beegees interview is a seminal moment, a perfectly formed display of the raging, humourless ego and entitlement complex of the modern celebrity. It also demonstrates that the now-dead Beegee was the best one, because he had a sense of humour.
there was an interview that I saw on iPlayer somewhat recently with Robin Gibb, and he came across like a pompous and humourless wanker in that as well

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Paperhouse posted:

there was an interview that I saw on iPlayer somewhat recently with Robin Gibb, and he came across like a pompous and humourless wanker in that as well
Did he go on over and over again about being A Songwriter, and basically slip in every BeeGees sales figure he possible could into the conversation? I think I saw the same one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Hoops posted:

Did he go on over and over again about being A Songwriter, and basically slip in every BeeGees sales figure he possible could into the conversation? I think I saw the same one.
yeah, that was the one. Totally smug and self satisfied. I think he also went on about how all music now is terrible compared to in the golden age of the Bee Gees, which always gets on my wick

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I don't get why they got so huffy, and why it's a 'crass little incident' (and my lord that is one pompous phrase), he just seems to needle them a bit, a few pops that are pretty much bait for making an interviewee seem self-deprecating and down to earth, and they throw a hissy. He didn't say anything all that bad.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

They were great fun on the Howard Stern show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDQxDw0lj8 (first linky part of 5)

But I apologise for dragging media produced by those treasonous chaps over the water into our UK thread.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jesus, this Louis Theroux documentary on dementia is the most harrowing thing ever.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I don't get why they got so huffy, and why it's a 'crass little incident' (and my lord that is one pompous phrase), he just seems to needle them a bit, a few pops that are pretty much bait for making an interviewee seem self-deprecating and down to earth, and they throw a hissy. He didn't say anything all that bad.

Alriiight! I already apologised for that. In my mind I thought he said something actually offensive (I'm pretty sure an interviewer said something bad about the dead Bee Gee once, I conflated the two interviews) Anyway I'm really, really sorry for being pompous on the internet, and equally sorry that no-one shares my Greer Love.

Don't think I can handle that Theroux doc right now, good as I'm sure it is.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
The audience in Question Time tore the panel to pieces at least three separate times there.

Big up Romford.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone else seen Louis Theroux on Extreme Love? watching the first episode of Autism at the moment and it's a great insight, is there a collection of Louis Theroux stuff as they're a cracking watch.

Fangz posted:

Jesus, this Louis Theroux documentary on dementia is the most harrowing thing ever.
Apparently so, looking forward to watching the dementia one.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Fangz posted:

And yet at the same time showing the power of love. I wanna hug that old couple so much, what a true gent John is :S

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

is there a collection of Louis Theroux stuff as they're a cracking watch.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=louis+theroux
The first four results cover most of his work, I think.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

paint dry posted:

I only saw the first part when it was originally on but it was great. Dominic West is a really good actor. Are they repeating it now it's been nominated for awards? I'd like to see the second part.

If you've got Netflix its on there.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Al2001 posted:

Alriiight! I already apologised for that. In my mind I thought he said something actually offensive (I'm pretty sure an interviewer said something bad about the dead Bee Gee once, I conflated the two interviews) Anyway I'm really, really sorry for being pompous on the internet, and equally sorry that no-one shares my Greer Love.

It was Graham Norton

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
Not really telly talk but loving hell the Alan Partridge autobiography is literally the funniest thing ever. I now have to go and relisten/watch everything Partridge related in chronological order and then do the book again.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

Fangz posted:

Im watching it at work now during my lunch break. My boss is asking me why I look so :smith:. Seeing your loved ones who were once happy, functional people regress into blank-staring babbling, frail old people must be crushing.

There was one moment with that ex-dentist fellow. He is asking why he can't leave the facility, and they tell him he lives there now. He looks really confused, and mutters 'Jesus' before shuffling off.

Also, the guy who was visiting his mother, who just wandering around babbling. For one moment, she comes over, puts her hands to his face and hugs him, before suddenly going back to her fugue. The son said that was the reason he still comes, because deep down, his mother is there somewhere.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dicky B posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=louis+theroux
The first four results cover most of his work, I think.
Well poo poo, I caved. Cheers matey.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I didn't know there was a second series of Grandma's House out. I genuinely liked the first, mainly thanks to Rebecca Front. There's nothing she doesn't make better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrB
Oct 21, 2007

:britain:
I hustled 15 goons in the best Australian SC2 tournament ever and all I got was this shitty avatar
Yeah the Louis Theroux Dementia episode was a drat hard watch. Having cared for a loved one suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's up until death I teared up for almost every patient he interviewed.