Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thermopyle posted:

Look at all you quaint non-subscription music users.

You say this but it took me trying three different providers and a new app from one of them before I stopped regretting my choice to go with a paid streaming service.

I'm pretty happy with Spotify right now I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

lelandjs posted:

You say this but it took me trying three different providers and a new app from one of them before I stopped regretting my choice to go with a paid streaming service.

I'm pretty happy with Spotify right now I guess?

Yeah, I agree it's hard to find a good one. I use Spotify, and the beta version of the app is a huge improvement.

But then again, as is evidenced by the previous page of posts, there's a lot of problems with local music apps, too.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I agree it's hard to find a good one. I use Spotify, and the beta version of the app is a huge improvement.

But then again, as is evidenced by the previous page of posts, there's a lot of problems with local music apps, too.

Oddly enough, despite many posts saying the opposite, Google Play Music is the only app I've used that didn't screw up some of the artist tags on my local music. I don't really have any problems with the app, local or streaming.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Spotify seems pretty cool but a lot of the music I listen to isn't on it (Mostly RAWRARA metal) :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Spotify seems pretty cool but a lot of the music I listen to isn't on it (Mostly RAWRARA metal) :smith:

A great feature of Spotify is that if you have the tracks you want to listen to that Spotify doesn't have, it will still stream them to your device. I do this for a few things I want that Spotify doesn't have.

Then again, if more than insert-some-number percent of what you want to listen to isn't on Spotify, than it may not be worth it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I think I've gone dumb. I cannot get FriendCaster to sync my contact pics with hi res photos. I do this every time I flash a new ROM, but this time I can't get it to work. I've checked the hi res photos option, cleared the image cache, and re- synced, but they are still lovely quality.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I hear a lot of people talking about widget locker. Is it a pretty stable product now? I think I remember it from the bad old days when it was prone to breaking things. Also, I presume I can use it to put a "silent mode" switch on the lock screen in addition to the normal wake up and camera it has now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ManMythLegend posted:

I hear a lot of people talking about widget locker. Is it a pretty stable product now? I think I remember it from the bad old days when it was prone to breaking things. Also, I presume I can use it to put a "silent mode" switch on the lock screen in addition to the normal wake up and camera it has now.

I haven't had any issues with it in a long time. The only problem I have is that I have a tasker task set to disable WL when I plug my phone in, but WL will eventually turn itself back on while still plugged in. I don't know if that's a WL problem or a Tasker problem.

Yes you can put a silent mode toggle on your lockscreen. You can put pretty much anything on there.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Woofi issue: just got my new galaxy nexus and I went and downloaded the latest beta. Installed no problem. Trying to add my location but it just freezes saying wait one minute, getting location coordinates.

Never comes up. Have to force stop.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I feel like a complete idiot for not being able to figure this out, but... how do I get Google Maps into landscape mode? Googling for it, I find lots of people talking about running in that mode, but no one else seems to be having trouble getting there.

Unrooted LG Optimus V running Android 2.2.1 and Maps 6.5.1, if any of that matters. Thanks!

e: Never mind, I just figured it out. Out in the phone's main display settings, I had "auto-rotate screen" unchecked. Derp.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 26, 2012

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I should also mention that Google Music has this weird bug that sometimes when I try and open it, it opens last run app instead. And the only way to get back to Music is to hit my back key a bunch (while the screen is going back through all of my recently opened apps until it hits Google Music again)

It's pretty strange.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I still use Google Music, but I have so many gripes with it. For one, that aforementioned "display every media file from your SD card" thing. I hate having to scroll through a bunch of folders of notifications and game sounds to get to anything. Of course there's no library management from the app, you have to be at a computer to do that. After that, it's really stupid that you can't tell it which view to start in. I'd like it to start sorted by artists instead of the "Recent" view. Which brings up another point: its design is really weird. When viewing recent songs/artists/whatever in landscape it has that cool 3D scrolling mode, but for some reason it's only available in that view. I really want something that's just a ripoff of Cover Flow, where I can scroll through album artwork sorted by artist.

All of Google's apps are so inconsistent in terms of design like that, and while ICS has made it better they really need to gather the people in charge of each app together and give them a unified look to use. I don't know why People is white/light blue, Play Music is dark blue, Gmail is light grey, the action bar in both Voice and Drive is dark grey (but Voice uses a bold font), Maps is a transparent dark grey, etc. I don't think there's much internal communication at all at Google and it's probably the reason they create and kill off so many services.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

gucci mangosteen posted:

I still use Google Music, but I have so many gripes with it. For one, that aforementioned "display every media file from your SD card" thing. I hate having to scroll through a bunch of folders of notifications and game sounds to get to anything. Of course there's no library management from the app, you have to be at a computer to do that. After that, it's really stupid that you can't tell it which view to start in. I'd like it to start sorted by artists instead of the "Recent" view. Which brings up another point: its design is really weird. When viewing recent songs/artists/whatever in landscape it has that cool 3D scrolling mode, but for some reason it's only available in that view. I really want something that's just a ripoff of Cover Flow, where I can scroll through album artwork sorted by artist.

All of Google's apps are so inconsistent in terms of design like that, and while ICS has made it better they really need to gather the people in charge of each app together and give them a unified look to use. I don't know why People is white/light blue, Play Music is dark blue, Gmail is light grey, the action bar in both Voice and Drive is dark grey (but Voice uses a bold font), Maps is a transparent dark grey, etc. I don't think there's much internal communication at all at Google and it's probably the reason they create and kill off so many services.
I agree with almost everything about this entire post. The only thing I haven't seen is the "everything on the SD card in Music" thing but I don't doubt it can be an issue.

Everything else though is spot on.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

e: nevermind. really should scroll down the first google search i make before posting.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 26, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Play Music app in 4.0.4 starts in whatever view it was last used in for me.

The app actually works and looks great for me, I don't have any issues with tags or it picking up non music media files.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Gmail app - it's there a way to change how viewing replies are shown? - when I receive a long chain of replies, the bit I need to read is often somewhere in the middle, above the message being replied to & below all other messages.

Failing that, a better email client?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a (preferably free) good trip log type app? I've tried Trip Journal Lite but it apparently only has one try before you need to pay again.

I'd like the ability to take a picture or a quick video, have timestamps, and include GPS location. Notes would be nice too.

It'd be nice to easily export to PC as well.

Would Google Latitude work?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a (preferably free) good trip log type app? I've tried Trip Journal Lite but it apparently only has one try before you need to pay again.

I'd like the ability to take a picture or a quick video, have timestamps, and include GPS location. Notes would be nice too.

Latitude won't do what you're looking for. That's more of a "where are my friends?"-type app.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ThermoPhysical posted:

Path is pretty good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.path&hl=en

You can take a picture or video, add your location, who you're with, notes, and all that jazz.

It's meant to be like a social network though so it uploads everything. I'm not sure how it would cope if you're going somewhere with bad coverage.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

ante posted:

I should also mention that Google Music has this weird bug that sometimes when I try and open it, it opens last run app instead. And the only way to get back to Music is to hit my back key a bunch (while the screen is going back through all of my recently opened apps until it hits Google Music again)

It's pretty strange.

Mine does that too sometimes. Fastest way I've found to correct it is to hit the task switch button (assuming you're on ICS), swipe Music out of the list, and then start it again.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Are there any 'proper', hardcore strategy games for android? Like a wargame or 4x game that isn't cartoony and simplified?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ante posted:

It's pretty strange.

I get this also. Its really great hitting the music button and having scoremobile pop open.

The android experience, everyone!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

fuf posted:

Are there any 'proper', hardcore strategy games for android? Like a wargame or 4x game that isn't cartoony and simplified?

There's Greed Corp, but I can't think of anything else good offhand. Hopefully there's more.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yamdankee posted:

I wouldn't think the devs for SNESdroid had HDMI in mind when they wrote the app. I would venture to say that HDMI output really isn't optimized specifically for any app just yet. I could be wrong. Either way my point is that you're right, it's probably not a processor issue because it works fine with another program, so it's probably just the app and luck of the draw. You can look around in settings, but I don't think there's an option that would 'fix' anything like that.

On a related note, what kind of bluetooth controller are you using? I used a Wiimote for a while, but then I saw how advanced sixaxis controller pairing is and I was sold. Grab your PS3 controller if you have one, buy one if you don't, and go to their website to get the pairing tool so you can set the bluetooth pairing ID to pair with your phone, and you're set. Get the compatibility checker app first though. It does calibration and mapping really, really well. It has options for using your controller as a mouse and touch emulation so that you can map the touch-control button overlay in these emulators to buttons on the controller very easily.

I've been using Sixaxis controllers for all of my bluetooth controller needs, and they're fantastic, especially since I was going for SNES emulation anyway. The apps available made it surprisingly easy to set up everything, and I've always liked the feel of sixaxis controllers, so it's all been a huge win

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

Woofi issue: just got my new galaxy nexus and I went and downloaded the latest beta. Installed no problem. Trying to add my location but it just freezes saying wait one minute, getting location coordinates.

Never comes up. Have to force stop.

Yeah, I've got that fixed. I'm really working hard to get a new version out this weekend...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Latitude won't do what you're looking for. That's more of a "where are my friends?"-type app.

Sounds like it's a Google version of Foursquare. I could use that too possibly.

fuf posted:

Path is pretty good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.path&hl=en

You can take a picture or video, add your location, who you're with, notes, and all that jazz.

It's meant to be like a social network though so it uploads everything. I'm not sure how it would cope if you're going somewhere with bad coverage.

It looks like you have to have an Android or iOS device to use Path. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family that actually has an Android device (let alone iOS). This is a start though.

I'm more looking for something that can either report to the cloud or be exported to PC to allow for record keeping. Something that only reports back to it's own website works too as I can always save an HTML file manually if need be.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Is there an app that will let you customize ringtones for different events? Like different sound for email than a text message? Maybe even a different sound depending on email box?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I'm probably switching from the iPhone to the One X. I use BiteSMS all the time on my iPhone, and I'm wondering:

Is there an SMS app with Quick Reply, that opens the quick reply window only AFTER tapping the notification?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

I've been using Sixaxis controllers for all of my bluetooth controller needs, and they're fantastic, especially since I was going for SNES emulation anyway. The apps available made it surprisingly easy to set up everything, and I've always liked the feel of sixaxis controllers, so it's all been a huge win

I do the same but I have a Classic Controller Pro (thank you Goldeneye).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sperg Victorious posted:

Is there an app that will let you customize ringtones for different events? Like different sound for email than a text message? Maybe even a different sound depending on email box?

Each app can customize it's own notifications, so yes you can do what you want, and you don't have to download a special app to do it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

You should be able to do this in the settings of each individual app. Try poking around in there; most apps have an option to set a notification sound for that app, and a lot of them allow even more granular control. Gmail, for instance, lets you set a different sound for each label.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Is there a program that will let you manage the hardware button functionality on your phone?
I'm thinking if it's possible to replace the "double tap homebutton" function on my Samsung GSII. I managed to uninstall the gently caress out of the VLINGO poo poo and I'm wondering if it's possible to bind "open app drawer" to it instead.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Kazy posted:

I'm probably switching from the iPhone to the One X. I use BiteSMS all the time on my iPhone, and I'm wondering:

Is there an SMS app with Quick Reply, that opens the quick reply window only AFTER tapping the notification?

I don't know of one, but I think you'll find that is pretty unnecessary on Android given the global back button. Hitting the notification, responding, and then hitting back should take you to where you were before (the caveat being games which might not handle that well).

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I've got that fixed. I'm really working hard to get a new version out this weekend...

Please let us know when it's out, I'm anxiously awaiting it as well :)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fuf posted:

Templar Assault is an adaptation of Space Hulk, one of the best wargames in the history of ever in my opinion.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The official Twitter app has been updated and it fixed the broken contact sync! :)

By removing it altogether! :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Is there a camera app that gives you manual or aperture/shutter priority modes?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Midjack posted:

Templar Assault is an adaptation of Space Hulk, one of the best wargames in the history of ever in my opinion.

Is it good? Space Hulk loving rules but I am always leery of "adaptations". Please tell me it's great. :ohdear:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The unlocker for woofi should work with the betas, right? I installed 1.8beta4 and the locations screen won't let me add more than one still, telling me to buy the unlocker. Tapping the link to buy in the app sends me to the Play store page with... a button to uninstall the unlocker. :confused:

E; Got a response from Thermopyle via email, this beta did break the unlocker. This should be fixed in the new version he mentioned earlier in this thread. Thanks dude!

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The official Twitter app has been updated and it fixed the broken contact sync! :)

By removing it altogether! :(

At least the redesign is kinda nice!

• Locked thread