Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

albear posted:

Is anyone having trouble trying to load Tomato on their Asus RT-N16? I got one and read that you can't directly install Tomato on it. Some forum said to install DD-WRT first (which worked), and then load Tomato on it.

After loading Tomato, the router reset and all but now I can't connect to it. Connecting directly gives me a 169.x.x.x address and doesn't pull up anything for router IP. I've tried resetting the NVRam by doing the 30/30/30 method with the WPS button but it still does not do anything.

I had a lot of trouble with it until I released I was holding down the WPS button instead of the RESET button on the back of the router when I was flashing it. Are you absolutely sure you're holding down the reset button when you're flashing it and not the WPS button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Hiyoshi posted:

I had a lot of trouble with it until I released I was holding down the WPS button instead of the RESET button on the back of the router when I was flashing it. Are you absolutely sure you're holding down the reset button when you're flashing it and not the WPS button?

I've tried both. Reset button puts it into restore mode. WPS button clears NVRam.

When I put it in restore mode and manually set an IP for my computer, I can ping the router but I can't telnet into it.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Residency Evil posted:

Is the RT-16n reliable? The WRT54GL isn't bad but requires a reboot every now and then. I do like how the AEBS at my parents' is pretty rock solid.

I can't comment on it yet but I've been running mine for two weeks solid right now, no drops in wifi or anything.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

albear posted:

I've tried both. Reset button puts it into restore mode. WPS button clears NVRam.

When I put it in restore mode and manually set an IP for my computer, I can ping the router but I can't telnet into it.

To load tomato on mine, I used the asus utility after putting the router in recovery mode.

Edit: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-rt-n16

albear
Jun 7, 2001

poxin posted:

To load tomato on mine, I used the asus utility after putting the router in recovery mode.

Edit: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-rt-n16

I'm on a Mac and don't have access to Windows. I can't seem to find their restore utility for OS X.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2012

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Ah, yeah the Mac instructions said to use parallels or tftp into it.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-362916/installing-on-asus-routers-for-mac-os-x

Tutorial mentioned in the thread: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-routers-rt-n16-etc-in-linux

albear
Jun 7, 2001

poxin posted:

Ah, yeah the Mac instructions said to use parallels or tftp into it.

http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-362916/installing-on-asus-routers-for-mac-os-x

Tutorial mentioned in the thread: http://tomatousb.org/tut:installing-on-asus-routers-rt-n16-etc-in-linux

I'll try this out if I can't find anyone with a Windows computer to help me out for a bit. Thanks!

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
Why is using ICMP echo / ping a good connectivity test? I was under the impression (and have personally observed) numerous occurrences where ICMP traffic is (de/)prioritized which makes me think it'd be very tenuous for measuring packet loss among other things.

edit: Edited for politness.

Wheelchair Stunts fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 26, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Ever since installing the gimped version of DD-WRT on my WRT54G2, my wireless has been flaky, to say the least. It's been going in and out every so often and hasn't been that reliable.

I've read that the quality of the DD-WRT builds vary each revision depending on who makes them and whatnot. Are there any routers out there(besides the Airport Extreme) who have reliable/awesome stock firmware?

I've heard good things about tomato vs DD-WRT but I'd rather not purchase a router, flash it and be left with another unstable firmware.

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Roving Reporter posted:

Ever since installing the gimped version of DD-WRT on my WRT54G2, my wireless has been flaky, to say the least. It's been going in and out every so often and hasn't been that reliable.

I've read that the quality of the DD-WRT builds vary each revision depending on who makes them and whatnot. Are there any routers out there(besides the Airport Extreme) who have reliable/awesome stock firmware?

I've heard good things about tomato vs DD-WRT but I'd rather not purchase a router, flash it and be left with another unstable firmware.

I'm running the WNDR 3700 and it's stock firmware is pretty good (my unit's been incredibly stable). I'm pretty sure Devian has said something similar in the past too. I got mine refurbished for under $100.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

I've got a wndr3700v2 that I don't use if you want to pick one up. Used it for 3 days, bought new on Amazon.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

Why is using ICMP echo / ping a good connectivity test? I was under the impression (and have personally observed) numerous occurrences where ICMP traffic is (de/)prioritized which makes me think it'd be very tenuous for measuring packet loss among other things.

I know on Tomato that outgoing ICMP traffic is prioritized. So, there's that.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

What else will you use as a connectivity test? You could use TCP or UDP (or invalid IP?), but how do you know the other end won't silently discard the packet as part of a firewall rule? ICMP ECHO is what was decided on to be the connectivity testing packet and, as it doesn't contain data meant for applications it's intentions are easy to divine. You're free to use TCP or UDP packets or whatever else, but there are generally more problems that can come up with those.

I don't know about prioritizing, but most devices implement rate limiting. Answer as many connectivity tests as you can, but if it seems like they're being abused then drop the rest sounds good to me.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Hopefully this isn't Haus of Tech Support territory -- I don't think so since it is such a basic question:

My DSL modem died last night (without question, I googled the LED state for that model and she is DEAD).

My question is this: can I buy any 3rd party DSL modem and plug in a login / password (which I have) and be back online? Or is this one of those cases where I would need ISP-specific hardware?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Since our state isn't being allocated the budget for an IT Director, I've been stuck with the gig as a volunteer position and have been tasked with getting our new state HQ up and running.

Currently there's only about 10 clients downstairs and 5 upstairs, but once we've got things rolling, there will be 20-30 wired clients and probably another 10-20 wireless clients.

Here's the network as it is now (ghetto and set up with priority to "just getting it to work" first):

Currently, the Comcast modem unit is handling the DHCP/DNS and the WRT54GL's are upstairs and downstairs as just access points. I'm curious if one of these WRT54GL routers (which I'll stick DD-WRT on) taking over as DHCP/NAT/etc would make my life easier or if I should leave it as is. I would disable the wireless on it and use a different AP for the downstairs office.

I'd like to eventually add VPN support to the mix, but that's assuming the router can handle that too. Worst case it'd be Hamachi or something.

I'm not completely opposed to a m0n0wall or smoothwall solution, assuming it's not super scary. (Plus free)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

MrChupon posted:

My question is this: can I buy any 3rd party DSL modem and plug in a login / password (which I have) and be back online?
You sure can. I quite like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825109010

Worst case scenario is you have to call up your ISP to get the correct VPI and VCI values in case the default is not correct. I use CenturyLink, and the above modem had to be set to a VIC different than stock to get it to work.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ryanbruce posted:

Currently, the Comcast modem unit is handling the DHCP/DNS and the WRT54GL's are upstairs and downstairs as just access points. I'm curious if one of these WRT54GL routers (which I'll stick DD-WRT on) taking over as DHCP/NAT/etc would make my life easier or if I should leave it as is. I would disable the wireless on it and use a different AP for the downstairs office.

Is the combo unit missing any features/abilities you need for DHCP/DNS or is it having issues? If not, there's not really a good reason to replace it.

EDIT: Also that setup offends me deeply for being stuck at G/100 speeds :argh:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 27, 2012

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
There aren't any issues yet, but we're still a small office that doesn't have everything hooked up (I don't expect full saturation until closer to mid summer). I'm just preparing now so I don't fry this Comcast supplied box and can spend some time planning it out.

I'm hoping to eventually get remote admin functionality, would using the existing combo unit make that more difficult?

I've never actually used a combo unit before; always purchased my own modem and then connected a router to it.

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: Also that setup offends me deeply for being stuck at G/100 speeds :argh:

I work with what I'm given with :smith:

To put it in perspective, the PCs we're using are P4 or PD Optiplex systems with a gig of RAM, using ncomputing devices to get 2 additional terminals off them.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 27, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ryanbruce posted:

I work with what I'm given with :smith:

Yeah, my house is still stuck at 100 wired speeds and I'm not re-running poo poo so it will always be that way. Luckily there is 0 LAN sharing activity and it's not like my internet connection is being bottlenecked by it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Inspector_71 posted:

Yeah, my house is still stuck at 100 wired speeds and I'm not re-running poo poo so it will always be that way. Luckily there is 0 LAN sharing activity and it's not like my internet connection is being bottlenecked by it.

Can't you just replace the switches? Unless you're house is run with Cat4?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FISHMANPET posted:

Can't you just replace the switches? Unless you're house is run with Cat4?

Oh right, Cat-5 can do that speed, not just 6+. The house is probably 5e anyway.

I could replace the switch and router, but it's not really worth it, and I would need a 24+ port switch. I really need to tone out the wiring in my house, since I'm pretty sure the majority of stuff I terminated and plugged into the existing switch doesn't actually lead anywhere. I was just going by cable color.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 27, 2012

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

poxin posted:

I've got a wndr3700v2 that I don't use if you want to pick one up. Used it for 3 days, bought new on Amazon.

How much do you want for it shipped? You can set up an SA Mart post if you want to make it official or within the rules(?).

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

It seems like Asus rt-n16 is the device of choice lately.

All I really care about it range, continuity through walls, and most importantly stability. I don't really care about tweaking settings for performance. I also don't really care about price as long as it is the best I can get for range/stability. Should I stick with the Asus and Tomato it up? Or move up in price to the AEBS? I'm also interested in the the Netgear WNDR4500 based on their marketing and OP mention, but I've had horrible luck with netgear products in the past.

I should also mention that I use an Apple TV for Itunes streaming and netflix. I guess I'm kind of leaning toward the Apple product, but I don't want to overpay for mediocre hardware.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 27, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My house has been all Apple with some Dlink switches for a while and it's been pretty great. Compared to past experience with other products I don't have to fiddle with them or reboot them periodically.

corded ware culture
Jul 16, 2007
mean green
I have a Win7 computer on my network that I use as a 'server'. I noticed when I remotely attempt to transfer files between disks on the computer the transfer rate is very slow, < 1MB/s. I'm assuming there is a way to do this remotely where I'm locally accessing the files so they aren't going across my network and back to another disk on the same computer. Anyone point me in the right direction?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

corded ware culture posted:

I have a Win7 computer on my network that I use as a 'server'. I noticed when I remotely attempt to transfer files between disks on the computer the transfer rate is very slow, < 1MB/s. I'm assuming there is a way to do this remotely where I'm locally accessing the files so they aren't going across my network and back to another disk on the same computer. Anyone point me in the right direction?

If you're moving files between volumes, you'll have to RDP to the win7 box and move them or psexec robocopy or something. Initiating the move from your machine will cause them to move through the network through your machine. The only exception to this is moving (not copying) within the same volume.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

headcase posted:

All I really care about it range, continuity through walls, and most importantly stability. I don't really care about tweaking settings for performance. I also don't really care about price as long as it is the best I can get for range/stability. Should I stick with the Asus and Tomato it up? Or move up in price to the AEBS? I'm also interested in the the Netgear WNDR4500 based on their marketing and OP mention, but I've had horrible luck with netgear products in the past.

I should also mention that I use an Apple TV for Itunes streaming and netflix. I guess I'm kind of leaning toward the Apple product, but I don't want to overpay for mediocre hardware.

I've had my ASUS RT-N16 up for over 3 months now and even with the stock firmware, it's been basically plug in, configure, and forget. The little fucker just keeps going with zero issues and has fantastic range all over my 2 story 2000 sq foot house. $90 well spent.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Are there installation instructions for Tomato on an E3000 anywhere? The Teaman page only says how to install it if you're already running Tomato.

e: and also which of the seven downloads available are the right one

e2: that was way easier than i was expecting

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 28, 2012

Moonbloodsflow
Sep 5, 2002
"Hey baby, let's see some of that axe wound"
I currently have an E3000 running Tomato. Is there anything standout that the Asus RT-N16 offers that makes it worth upgrading? I'm not doing anything fancy, but I am going to be setting up a Home Theater/Storage computer that I want to be accessible across the network. I will be sharing/streaming a networked cable tuner tho, as well as other media. I got this refurbished E3000 cheap with a 1 year warranty, I just don't know enough about networking to know if the E3000 will be up to the task. I will most likely try to run CAT-5 to most of the devices, but it'd be cool if it was capable of streaming HD content wirelessly occasionally.

Someone steer me in the right direction? Is there a way to do a HTPC/NAS type setup easily?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

headcase posted:

You are me exactly. The concern I have about tomato is that apparently it's a fork now, and who knows how long it'll be updated.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
Oh, I'm not sure if any of you rt-n16 bros and broettes use optware, but it's pretty awesome. I use it with a 16GB USB memory stick and now have package management on my router. Granted, there's only so much mileage I get out of that processor but you'd be surprised!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Any thoughts on building a really tiny PC with a few Ethernet ports on the back? I've looked at Soekris boxes in the past and they seem way overpriced especially for the speed and compute power.

I'd really rather just install OpenBSD or Linux and do everything myself with pf or iptables.

I'd much rather have a small form factor though instead of using older computers in full cases.

Any ideas?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Boner Wad posted:

Any thoughts on building a really tiny PC with a few Ethernet ports on the back? I've looked at Soekris boxes in the past and they seem way overpriced especially for the speed and compute power.

I'd really rather just install OpenBSD or Linux and do everything myself with pf or iptables.

I'd much rather have a small form factor though instead of using older computers in full cases.

Any ideas?

What about a Mikrotik RB/750GL? It's a tiny Linux-based MIPS machine with a built-in switch chip, and the firewall rules are pure iptables.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Boner Wad posted:

Any ideas?

My firewall is an Alix 2D3. Its CPU is aging but it runs OpenBSD like a champ and that weird AMD chip can offload some crypto. Running PFSense is a bit heavy but pure OpenBSD is great -- it should be able to pump near 100mbit through PF. Don't try to run anything heavy on it though. SNMP, Unbound, PF, DHCP, ... the basics work great and you get the power of OpenBSD :shobon:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Boner Wad posted:

I bought a Shuttle x35 or something, I forget which one, the one without a HDD or OS. I stuck a compact flash<->sata adapter and a 2g CF card in it running BSD. It runs like a champ and even though it's fanless the CPU is way overkill for routing. The only downside is the only NIC is 10/100. You could add another USB NIC or use a switch that does VLAN tagging.

Crappy old TV
Nov 26, 2010
Does anyone have any recommendations for a USB Wi-fi adapter that accepts an external antenna, has a power of at least 1w and allows you to manually select the data rates? Or is there a way in Windows to manually set the data rates for a wireless device?

Detailed description of problem and situation: Broadband here is stupid expensive (rural area) and my neighbor and I are trying to share a connection. He's about 100 yards away and through some trees, but using my existing 1w USB adapter and a giant yagi antenna, I can make what the software that came with my adapter claims is a very good connection (36-48mbps, 4/5 bars, 70% signal strength, 80% link quality).

However, my data throughput is still absolute poo poo, I can't sustain any download speeds of greater than about 30k/sec.

When playing around with it though, I noticed something weird. Occasionally, the data rate will drop down to 12 or 6mbps, and then my data transmissions shoot through the roof, up to 700k/sec. But in short order, it seems like the adapter decides it can try and crank the data rate back up to 36mbps or so, and then my throughput drops back to 30k/sec.

Current equipment:
-Alfa AWUS036H 1w USB adapter, uses the RealTek RTL8781 chip.
-Win7 Pro SP1
-Bigass yagi antenna mounted on a camera tripod and pointing out my window

Crappy old TV fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 29, 2012

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
You need to stop trying to use indoor yogi's and weird adapters. Get two of these http://www.ubnt.com/downloads/datasheets/nanostationm/nsm_ds_web.pdf and setup a bridge. Depending on the tree coverage you might be able to use 2.4GHz but if there's too many trees you will have to go 900MHz.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I have a 4th generation Airport Extreme and my family does a lot of streaming. Im not savvy enough to figure out if getting something like the RT-N16 would be noteable difference.

I guess what I am asking is if there is something out there worth upgrading from the old 4G Airport Extreme.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Are there any relatively new dual band wifi routers that are well supported by DD-WRT? It looks like the E3200 has some issues with current firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

Bunk Rogers posted:

I have a 4th generation Airport Extreme and my family does a lot of streaming. Im not savvy enough to figure out if getting something like the RT-N16 would be noteable difference.

I guess what I am asking is if there is something out there worth upgrading from the old 4G Airport Extreme.

Are you experiencing any performance issues with your current router (e.g. streams buffering)? Also when you say streaming, do you mean of online media, or stuff within your local network?