Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Romano could never last that long in my house I just eat it strait it's so good. That's why I could never buy a wheel.

You would probably constipate yourself to death if you did end up buying one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

You would probably constipate yourself to death if you did end up buying one.

That's what all the olive oil is for. :v:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

We're having an office potluck tomorrow and everyone has already snagged up the easy salad and desert options. In addition to which, gently caress that, I'm cooking something.

However, I don't know what to make. I'm looking to feed about 12 people tops, no pork, main-dish-esque in the savory side of things. I also don't want to drop a ton of money on this if I can avoid it. I have access to an oven with a range, lots of spices, and big ol' microwaves at work for heating things up.

Right now I'm leaning towards something like a chicken'n'veggies kebab, maybe one and a half for each person? I can't grill these which is making me hesitate. Leftovers will just become dinner. Any ideas?

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Chard posted:

We're having an office potluck tomorrow and everyone has already snagged up the easy salad and desert options. In addition to which, gently caress that, I'm cooking something.

However, I don't know what to make. I'm looking to feed about 12 people tops, no pork, main-dish-esque in the savory side of things. I also don't want to drop a ton of money on this if I can avoid it. I have access to an oven with a range, lots of spices, and big ol' microwaves at work for heating things up.

Right now I'm leaning towards something like a chicken'n'veggies kebab, maybe one and a half for each person? I can't grill these which is making me hesitate. Leftovers will just become dinner. Any ideas?

I would think about what's going to fare okay in the microwave or cold. How about a pasta dish, if you are trying to be cheap? Or maybe a quiche?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Chard posted:

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2008/11/mini-caramelised-onion-and-tomato.html
I've made these many times, and they're great warm, lukewarm and cold. Also, if you have a cupcake tray big enough, it'll serve 12.

Oh, I made an easier version (my onions were done a lot sooner than what is described in this blog, because ... I have other things to do).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Chard posted:

Mac and Cheese!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

paraquat posted:

http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2008/11/mini-caramelised-onion-and-tomato.html
I've made these many times, and they're great warm, lukewarm and cold. Also, if you have a cupcake tray big enough, it'll serve 12.

Oh, I made an easier version (my onions were done a lot sooner than what is described in this blog, because ... I have other things to do).

Awwww yayer, those look super tasty. I've even got most of that stuff at home already. Thanks everyone, I'm going with this :)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

This might be stupid... I've been told to save the spices for later in sautees and such because spices burn, but most recipes call for salt and pepper before meat meets heat. Does the pepper not burn? Is it more durable wrt other spices?

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Pepper can definitely burn and many people pepper their steaks post-cooking for that very reason.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I was looking at this recipe today: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/pasta-with-smothered-cauliflower-saffron-recipe.html

It looks awesome, but I'm a vegetarian, and I HATE fish. If my husband makes a tuna sandwich, he has to do it when I'm not home, because the smell makes me want to die. Is there anything I could put in this to replace the anchovy fillets and still get that salt bomb/umami thing? I don't mind a small amount of fish sauce, but I feel like that won't be quite enough to pack the same punch.

I was thinking maybe I could do dried porcini that I've reconstituted in some really flavorful soaking liquid, but I'd like to hear any other possible suggestions.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

bringmyfishback posted:

I was looking at this recipe today: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/pasta-with-smothered-cauliflower-saffron-recipe.html
Is there anything I could put in this to replace the anchovy fillets and still get that salt bomb/umami thing? I don't mind a small amount of fish sauce, but I feel like that won't be quite enough to pack the same punch.

I'd urge you to just try putting the anchovies in.. once its blended up, you can't even tell that there's fish bodies in it. If you are fine with fish sauce that is really the same thing anyway, they're just further fermented / dissolved. Also, it is a completely different thing than canned tuna which I totally agree with you about having a gross smell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I made steamed asparagus for the first time, adding a bit of cayenne pepper to... you know- kick it up a notch :haw:, after watching the Good Eats episode.
After taking it out, I simply served them up with butter next to a BLT, in lieu of a real main.
It's also the first time I've eaten asparagus in maybe fifteen or sixteen years, as my mother isn't that great a cook (mostly because she never cooks with salt), turning me off a lot of different greens.

:qq: (of joy)

I... I never realized asparagus could taste good.

Anyways, bullshit aside, what's a good sauce for asparagus?
Butter, spices, and salt doesn't exactly stick to asparagus the way it does to pasta.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 26, 2012

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Mister Macys posted:

Anyways, bullshit aside, what's a good sauce for asparagus?
Butter, spices, and salt doesn't exactly stick to asparagus the way it does to pasta.

Asparagus with hollandaise is pretty common, and for good reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly my favorite way to cook asparagus is just toss it in a little olive oil and roast it in a pan or the toaster oven. Don't cook it until it's limp, just until it's soft enough to stick a fork into without too much effort and is blackened up a bit. It's fantastic. Also great in stir fry.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, I think less is more is good for asparagus. I like mine tossed in a bit of neutral oil and grilled. Peel the thick bottom part of the stem. It's also good cooked in browned butter.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Another thing I do for asparagus when I'm feeling ambitious is to reduce a bit of balsamic and drizzle it over roasted asparagus with some parm tossed on. Though the quality of ingredients really shows, (un)fortunately.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I like to just squeeze a little fresh lemon juice onto mine right before eating it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
This probably doesn't ascribe to less is more, but at the restaurant we had this killer app of blanched, grilled asparagus, candied walnuts, a goat cheese "fondue" (goat cheese, hot cream, and a pinch of salt blended in a vitamix until smooth and saucy), and the tiniest most unobtrusive drizzle of balsamic redux. Pure loving awesome.

VoodooSchmoodoo
Sep 15, 2007

What's that there, then? Oh.
I have a quick question: I plan on cooking Rick Stein's recipe for carbonara on the weekend but I may have a problem acquiring pecorino cheese.

It seems my alternative options are parmesan (too pungent?), manchego (too nutty?) or asiago (I've tried it before, but can't remember too much about it. I think it's more tangy and fruity so may be the best option).

Any guidance is welcome.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Quickie question. I have to cook for 15 guys so I picked up 4 boneless sirloin top roasts, two around 3.5 lbs and two around 2.5 lbs.

I need to cook these in one oven. I was planning on 450 for 20 min then down to 325 and pulling out at around 125 on the bigger ones, which should give me around medium-well done on the smaller two (not by my choice).

For a single roast I'm looking at around 18 min / lb, right? How much will having four roasts, three in one pan and one in the other, affect this timing?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Not really sure where to ask this but, I'd like to grow my own chilli plants. A few different varieties I guess. How important is the time of year (am I too late?) and what sort of conditions do they generally need? I'm in England so they would definitely be grown indoors

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Scott Bakula posted:

Not really sure where to ask this but, I'd like to grow my own chilli plants. A few different varieties I guess. How important is the time of year (am I too late?) and what sort of conditions do they generally need? I'm in England so they would definitely be grown indoors

I used to live with a vietnamese family that just grew their chilis in pots indoors year round. You could do that if you have the space.

Edit:

I use the following:
1 cup ground corn (grits or polenta, though purists will argue)
2 cups water
1 cup whole milk
Salt

Simmer and whisk until very thick. About 20-25 minutes
Stir in a couple ounces of grated parm, herbs of your choice and cracked black pepper
Pour into a rectangular vessel and sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes.
Turn it out, slice it and saute in olive oil.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV

Phummus fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 26, 2012

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
What's the trick to making polenta worth eating. do I mix stock, magic beans, what?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Didion posted:

What's the trick to making polenta worth eating. do I mix stock, magic beans, what?

Gross. I just bury mine in the yard and plant a rose bush or tree over it.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
This is a very specific and odd request. I am looking for a certain meatballs and spaghetti recipe entitled "Meatballs and Spaghetti" in the cook book "Beyond Grits and Gravy." It's on page 144 of that book and I have it, but I can't find it.

I want that god drat recipe, it's f-ing delicious. Does anyone have that cook book and/or could find that recipe and post it for me? Until then, I will continue to try to Google it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I read a recipe that I'd like to try, and it's simple, but I guess it's a bit too simple to actually be good.

It's salmon, and the recipe is simple: carve it a couple of times, and stick in some anchovy and garlic. Then bake it in butter until it's done.

Okay, fine, I want to try that, but....

the recipe suggests serving it with either rice or potatoes and broccoli.
And I'm thinking: wouldn't my rice or potatoes be awfully dry?

Any suggestions to pimp this thing up?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

I read a recipe that I'd like to try, and it's simple, but I guess it's a bit too simple to actually be good.

It's salmon, and the recipe is simple: carve it a couple of times, and stick in some anchovy and garlic. Then bake it in butter until it's done.

Okay, fine, I want to try that, but....

the recipe suggests serving it with either rice or potatoes and broccoli.
And I'm thinking: wouldn't my rice or potatoes be awfully dry?

Any suggestions to pimp this thing up?

more butter or make a beurre blanc to smother over everything.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phummus posted:

I used to live with a vietnamese family that just grew their chilis in pots indoors year round. You could do that if you have the space.

Owing to pretty crappy weather most of the year due to being in North England I think I'm going to buy pre-grown plants rather than try to germinate myself

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Scott Bakula posted:

Owing to pretty crappy weather most of the year due to being in North England I think I'm going to buy pre-grown plants rather than try to germinate myself

Pretty sure it's impossible to germinate yourself.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

GrAviTy84 posted:

more butter or make a beurre blanc to smother over everything.

Thank you!...I guess I'll try the more butter thing then, as I'm not looking for smothering everything, and I guess the garlic and especially the anchovies will take care of the taste of the butter. :-)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Pretty sure it's impossible to germinate yourself.

You'll go blind trying.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I feel kind of weird, but there used to be a barbecue/etc thread in GWS, I thought? Did it get gassed or something? I was looking to buy a new grill in the near future and was looking for somewhere to hear some opinions and experiences with different brands, etc.. Preferably with less "charcoal vs propane" and "bbq vs barbecue vs grilling" arguments than more.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

coyo7e posted:

I feel kind of weird, but there used to be a barbecue/etc thread in GWS, I thought? Did it get gassed or something? I was looking to buy a new grill in the near future and was looking for somewhere to hear some opinions and experiences with different brands, etc.. Preferably with less "charcoal vs propane" and "bbq vs barbecue vs grilling" arguments than more.

There's the Slow Smoking Meat thread. The old one was closed during whirled peas.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

coyo7e posted:

There are pros and cons to both charcoal and propane grills. Can you tell us what you hope to do with one and then we can offer advice?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Phummus posted:

There are pros and cons to both charcoal and propane grills. Can you tell us what you hope to do with one and then we can offer advice?
Sure, thanks! I just didn't want to jump in asking a dumb question that would get mocked and then ignored if there was an "obvious" thread somewhere. ;).

I've been using an old rustbucket propane grill that came from my family's beach rental for the last couple years, but I just bought a house with a nice little covered patio/deck, which just begs to have a decent-looking grill set up on it.

I'm specifically interested in a propane grill (I'd love to get a smoker but not for a while off, yet,) probably in the 45k BTU range, with a side burner for pots of corn/crab, etc. At my local hardware stores, there are a lot of grills in the $180-$220 range, and while they look a bit flimsy they'd still be a major upgrade from my current travesty of barbecue tech (this is after it'd been gone over with a wire brush attached to a power drill... Twice! :( ):

(also, storebought radishes suck dick on shishkabob, and it took some fuckery to get the grill to heat up past 200 that day..!.)

Mostly I was curious if anybody has any horror or success stories from lower-end propane grills, recommendations about brands, etc. I've seen Char-Broil, Aussie, and a couple other brands in my area.. I could afford a nicer option but I'm not a massive grillsperg, I don't throw a lot of huge parties so the cheaper ones should be more than nice enough for my needs over the next couple years, and I'm hoping that my dad will give me his old, $800ish grill when he convinces the wife to let him buy one.. So I don't want to sink 500 bucks into a grill and then get a used one that's easily as nice or better.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Appl posted:

I'd urge you to just try putting the anchovies in.. once its blended up, you can't even tell that there's fish bodies in it. If you are fine with fish sauce that is really the same thing anyway, they're just further fermented / dissolved. Also, it is a completely different thing than canned tuna which I totally agree with you about having a gross smell.

It's just not an option for me. When I say I'm fine with fish sauce, I mean that I can't really taste the fishiness if it's in a curry or something- but I've tried anchovies before, and ended up retching from the fishy taste. Sigh. Lame.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I haven't been following the anchovy/fish conversation, but if you just want umami, try some MSG?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bringmyfishback posted:

It looks awesome, but I'm a vegetarian, and I HATE fish. If my husband makes a tuna sandwich, he has to do it when I'm not home, because the smell makes me want to die. Is there anything I could put in this to replace the anchovy fillets and still get that salt bomb/umami thing? I don't mind a small amount of fish sauce, but I feel like that won't be quite enough to pack the same punch.

I was thinking maybe I could do dried porcini that I've reconstituted in some really flavorful soaking liquid, but I'd like to hear any other possible suggestions.

edit: after thinking about it some more I think MSG would probably be best. Worchestershire and soy would change the flavor significantly. Maybe an additional dusting of nutritional yeast.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 27, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

bringmyfishback posted:

It's just not an option for me. When I say I'm fine with fish sauce, I mean that I can't really taste the fishiness if it's in a curry or something- but I've tried anchovies before, and ended up retching from the fishy taste. Sigh. Lame.

But you don't eat the whole anchovy. One or two dissolved in a sauce is exactly the same as a couple squirts of fish sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There might be a problem with handling the anchovy in the first place.