Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

but more reactive to the story

I don't want to drag this on, but I have to beat this into the ground:

The type of story being told matters. What Fate System is more reactive to just doesn't strive for the points/themes/content that Persona 3/4 does. Dislodging the message and voice from the medium/mechanic and saying Persona 3/4's social links aren't complementing or relevant is wrong. You can't divorce these things and just say one mechanic isn't related to something because you refuse to see what it is relevant to and how characterization, even if it takes some miscues, can make a story as much as plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The funny thing about Persona 4 is that the characters DO have a lot of programmed reactions to storyline events, where they are in the social link in comparison to each other, etc....in the dungeon talks. That is, when you talk to them through the square button, and when you run into them while rescaling a cleared dungeon. It's a shame that there was so much effort put into having characters react to many variables THERE, when the way to see most of the content (especially in a first run) is to get dungeons cleared in as few days you can.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Corrosion posted:

I don't want to drag this on, but I have to beat this into the ground:

The type of story being told matters. What Fate System is more reactive to just doesn't strive for the points/themes/content that Persona 3/4 does. Dislodging the message and voice from the medium/mechanic and saying Persona 3/4's social links aren't complementing or relevant is wrong. You can't divorce these things and just say one mechanic isn't related to something because you refuse to see what it is relevant to and how characterization, even if it takes some miscues, can make a story as much as plot.

Actually, considering what I'm arguing, it doesn't matter what kind of story you're writing. There is no reason (save for budgetary reasons) that the social links can't take cues from the main storyline. I have not suggested once that the social links don't complement the story. What I have said is that the social links are not affected by the story. In other words, the connection between the story at large and the social links is only one-way. That is a problem that the Fate System does not have.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

There is no reason (save for budgetary reasons)

Way back when I started this? This was precisely one of my arguments for why it was a change and not necessarily an improvement. It's fairly obvious that the Persona games don't have the kind of budget that, say, Final Fantasy XIII or other games do. And it does matter for that very reason, because if you add that kind of content, you are making changes that would have to result in different scenarios and different plot structure.

And the story is about the main character's experiences. The narrative is clear about this:

"You go to sleep for tonight" "You decide to go to school"

Their stories and relationships put growth into the main character as well as tangible bonuses if you choose to pursue them. The fact it's a choice whether or not to pursue them gives weight to those actions. It means it is, in fact, relevant to the story.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 27, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Corrosion posted:

Way back when I started this? This was precisely one of my arguments for why it was a change and not necessarily an improvement. It's fairly obvious that the Persona games don't have the kind of budget that, say, Final Fantasy XIII or other games do. And it does matter for that very reason, because if you add that kind of content, you are making changes that would have to result in different scenarios and different plot structure.
Which is a perfectly fine argument, since it requires the developers to make choices about the amount of depth they put into the social links, how much they can give to and take from the story at large. However, the argument that they can't take cues from the story for budgetary reasons is a very different argument than your argument.

quote:

And the story is about the main character's experiences. The narrative is clear about this:

"You go to sleep for tonight" "You decide to go to school"

Their stories and relationships put growth into the main character as well as tangible bonuses if you choose to pursue them. The fact it's a choice whether or not to pursue them gives weight to those actions. It means it is, in fact, relevant to the story.

Yes, it is. In one direction. It doesn't, however, take any cues in the other direction. Which is why I've claimed the Fate System is better overall. If they don't have the budget to implement the Fate System to the main story, that's fine, the Social Links do a good job as it stands. They don't do a better job, but they are satisfactory.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Which is a perfectly fine argument, since it requires the developers to make choices about the amount of depth they put into the social links, how much they can give to and take from the story at large. However, the argument that they can't take cues from the story for budgetary reasons is a very different argument than your argument.

That's not a contradiction I'm making, as much as you're implying that it's the case. I can't "double back" when the reality is that you're coming in on a discussion's tail end.

Nor is that divorced from my original point and my current point. I said the Fate System isn't an improvement to Social Links just based on what Persona 3/4's respective stories, and the proposed application of it would result in a different story or drastic change. What flaws are present are negligible to the theoretical gains you offer. I can see how a character would respond after a certain event... but the story doesn't focus on them and their characterization isn't really lost.

quote:

Yes, it is. In one direction. It doesn't, however, take any cues in the other direction. Which is why I've claimed the Fate System is better overall. If they don't have the budget to implement the Fate System to the main story, that's fine, the Social Links do a good job as it stands. They don't do a better job, but they are satisfactory.

Nah, it is taking cues in the other direction, though. Your relationships via Social Links give your character meaning. If you go through Persona 3 without performing a single social link, your death comes at the conclusion of a rather unfulfilling school year. You would have died for nothing. When you engage in Social Links in Persona 3/4, you're enriching your character's relationships with people and growing yourself. That's the metaphor, it's tied to plastic personality, real self vs ideal self. The game's plot is about you, but the way it subverts what would be a one way choice is that if you don't pursue character relationships, you don't grow as a person. Your story is boring.

A story doesn't work in one way, and this method Persona uses makes it far more unique than a game that's telling a story that's been told in several other games already. Moreover, your accusation it doesn't make characters important, again, misses the point on what makes character relationships work in Persona 3/4.

They work because the game is about you, and you're enriching yourself. The summation of Persona 3 is about who you're dying for, which is where (at least in Persona 3), all those "plot irrelevant characters" actually end up giving your character significant meaning.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Corrosion posted:

Nah, it is taking cues in the other direction, though. Your relationships via Social Links give your character meaning. If you go through Persona 3 without performing a single social link, your death comes at the conclusion of a rather unfulfilling school year. You would have died for nothing. When you engage in Social Links in Persona 3/4, you're enriching your character's relationships with people and growing yourself. That's the metaphor, it's tied to plastic personality, real self vs ideal self. The game's plot is about you, but the way it subverts what would be a one way choice is that if you don't pursue character relationships, you don't grow as a person. Your story is boring.

A story doesn't work in one way, and this method Persona uses makes it far more unique than a game that's telling a story that's been told in several other games already. Moreover, your accusation it doesn't make characters important, again, misses the point on what makes character relationships work in Persona 3/4.

They work because the game is about you, and you're enriching yourself. The summation of Persona 3 is about who you're dying for, which is where (at least in Persona 3), all those "plot irrelevant characters" actually end up giving your character significant meaning.

Again, that's just the social links helping the overarching storyline, but it's a one-directional effect. The Social Links affect the overall experience of the story. The story does not effect the content of the social links. With the Fate System, the effect is two-directional. The plot affects the character storylines, and the character storylines affect the plot. The plot of the Persona games could stand to gain from having this. If they can't afford to do it, then as I said in the previous post, sure, that's satisfactory, but that doesn't mean that somehow the Fate System wouldn't work.

Corrosion posted:

I said the Fate System isn't an improvement to Social Links just based on what Persona 3/4's respective stories, and the proposed application of it would result in a different story or drastic change.

This is what I've been disputing. It would affect the content of the Social Links, but it would not result in a different story or drastic change. It would make the content of the Social Links more connected to the story at large because in addition to the Social Link's affect to the main storyline, the main storyline would affect the Social Link.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 27, 2012

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

To all those reading the thread, this is clearly turning into a derail or immovable viewpoints. I'm gonna read the atmosphere and cut it from here. If anyone I was discussing this with want a last word, feel free.

King of Solomon posted:

Again, that's just the social links helping the overarching storyline, but it's a one-directional effect. The Social Links affect the overall experience of the story. The story does not effect the content of the social links.

Nah, man, jonjonaug's post shows some attempts to show how Persona 4 actually does have some "story affecting the content" of Social Links... but, since I'm not even fixated on that. I'm saying what moments where that doesn't happen isn't really a problem.

Those characters? They aren't the point of the game in that way. It doesn't matter if someone in your party doesn't acknowledge a certain event, it doesn't matter that if you do a social link late then you can't complete it but it transpires the same as if you started it on time. I'm contesting that because Persona 3/4's story doesn't hinge on that accuracy, it's not really a detrimental flaw. That "Fate System" is something cosmetic and only looks good because it's just doing a story that several other games have done already.

You account for budget, you account for the game's message... you'll see that your proposed improvements are coming from a vantage point where you're trying to generalize/apply linear thought where it's just clear two games are different.

quote:

This is what I've been disputing. It would affect the content of the Social Links, but it would not result in a different story or drastic change. It would make the content of the Social Links more connected to the story at large because in addition to the Social Link's affect to the main storyline, the main storyline would affect the Social Link.

New content/system is a change, seriously re-read this. I've seen this argument before, when people say "You just have to remove the Chrono Trigger references from Chrono Cross and then it'd be good." You're proposing a change, not an improvement. Social Links function differently from Fate System. The person who tried to say they were the same, ended up contradicting themselves in the very same paragraph.

It wouldn't be the same. The logic here is very much "It'd be the same... but different!" You aren't even being specific with these changes because the instant you are, you'd start rifling off new scenes, new branching paths, things that would have to account for all these changes a new mechanic or writing would introduce.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 27, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
You could always go to the Atlus USA forums! They love this kind of thing. you could be :their: KING! :D

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Corrosion posted:

Nah, man, jonjonaug's post shows some attempts to show how Persona 4 actually does have some "story affecting the content" of Social Links... but, since I'm not even fixated on that. I'm saying what moments where that doesn't happen isn't really a problem.

Those characters? They aren't the point of the game in that way. It doesn't matter if someone in your party doesn't acknowledge a certain event, it doesn't matter that if you do a social link late then you can't complete it but it transpires the same as if you started it on time. I'm contesting that because Persona 3/4's story doesn't hinge on that accuracy, it's not really a detrimental flaw. That "Fate System" is something cosmetic and only looks good because it's just doing a story that several other games have done already.

You account for budget, you account for the game's message... you'll see that your proposed improvements are coming from a vantage point where you're trying to generalize/apply linear thought where it's just clear two games are different.
...And? In jonjonaug's post, he references how the characters refer to the story in the dungeons, not in the links themselves. It's an improvement on P3's "the social links are not modified by the story in any way," but not as much as the Fate System, where the content of the links themselves are affected.

quote:

New content/system is a change, seriously re-read this. I've seen this argument before, when people say "You just have to remove the Chrono Trigger references from Chrono Cross and then it'd be good." You're proposing a change, not an improvement. Social Links function differently from Fate System. The person who tried to say they were the same, ended up contradicting themselves in the very same paragraph.

It wouldn't be the same. The logic here is very much "It'd be the same... but different!" You aren't even being specific with these changes because the instant you are, you'd start rifling off new scenes, new branching paths, things that would have to account for all these changes a new mechanic or writing would introduce.

Yes, I've read your posts. The problem is you seem to have the idea that you can't have the story affect the content of the links without the links affecting the story in a very similar way. The Fate System, as I've been suggesting, is adding content. Your Chrono Cross example, on the other hand, is removing content. It's a different animal. Social Links really don't function all that differently from the Fate System. The Fate System- as described in the game itself- is (and I'm paraphrasing because I don't have the exact text on-hand) "a measure of how close you are to a character."

It's actually possible for the Social Links to serve the exact same function while modifying their actual content to reflect the story! The only issue with this is a function of budget, in which case the Social Links are satisfactory. That doesn't mean they're more fitting than the Fate System, just that they can't afford to properly implement the Fate System due to the amount of extra work they would have to put in.

EDIT:

Corrosion posted:

To all those reading the thread, this is clearly turning into a derail or immovable viewpoints. I'm gonna read the atmosphere and cut it from here. If anyone I was discussing this with want a last word, feel free.
I'm done here, too. I like to think I've made my point clear enough. Sorry about the derail and if I've been rude in any way.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

You're good, man. I saw enough accusations my way about being rude, I'd better just drop it.

Justice posted:

You could always go to the Atlus USA forums! They love this kind of thing. you could be :their: KING! :D

I remember reading some comment there about how

"Aleph is most protagonist ever"

As unpleasant as I find people who are functionally fixated on how stories are told (NO ONE BITE ON THIS, THIS IS A REFERENCE TO SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI 3, ARGH), nothing is gonna match just lurking there in terms of what I was reading. Those guys are bloodthirsty.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Corrosion posted:

:words:

I had a much longer post written out, but there's very little point arguing with you at length about a mechanic you don't have experience with in a game you haven't played, so I'm going to boil it down to the most important part.

Here's the bottom line for me: as other posters have pointed out, Persona 3 and 4 (especially 4) already have many of the context-sensitive character events that a FATE-system-enhanced version would have. There'd be no extra budgetary cost required to put them in, because they're already in there. The S-Link system in those games just makes them mostly useless (because they don't rank up S-Links, only give points that you may or may not need) and therefore discourages you from going out of your way to see them. In P3 I hated being disincentivised to just go out on Sundays with characters and talk about current events, or take them out to the film festival, because I knew there'd usually be no mechanical benefit to it. That made me feel less like I was being rewarded for developing a relationship with the characters, not more: instead I felt like I was picking up a book about a character, reading canned segments of it in fixed order and being actively discouraged from learning anything else about them. You seem to have implied that this was a minor issue for you, but it was a critical one for me.

So given that you don't care very much about that issue either way and I have a strong preference for one way in particular, would it offend you too much if the optional incidental events outside of a character's main story like Sunday outings or the film festival in P3 were actually able to rank up S-Links instead of just giving points toward them? Because that is the one feature of the FATE system that I would most like to see in Persona, and I don't see how it would be anything other than an unambiguous improvement with next to zero added development cost. The radical idea I am proposing here is that a game that includes interesting and thematically relevant content should not have mechanics that actively discourage you from exploring that content under nearly all circumstances, and I don't understand why you're resisting it at every turn.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 27, 2012

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I'll make an exception for you, especially in light of getting to flex my expendable income I guess cause someone wanted to "teach me a lesson."

Thuryl posted:

I had a much longer post written out, but there's very little point arguing with you at length about a mechanic you don't have experience with in a game you haven't played, so I'm going to boil it down to the most important part.

That's really not necessary to have gotten anything specific across to me. If you read a few posts, there were some specific examples about Devil Survivor 2's Fate System, but I guess it doesn't matter what I thought of them at this point.

My whole point is still that you're not going to improve the narrative without changing it. I'd like you to acknowledge that with that, you're not respecting the strengths of both games, giving me little reason to, and at that point you're just thinking in a linear fashion which, well, is why we get 2D vs 3D arguments or console wars or whatever stupid poo poo usually occurs.

We get this discussion.

And changing it based on a system you like and thinking "oh this is similar, so it'll just be the same but better" is asinine. A lot of the people saying this are parroting a point that's basically "It was good in my head so it'll be good in the game!" Tim Rogers once said that Mario would be perfect on iPhone touch controls because he, in fact, played it in his head. He seriously justified this because he just imagined it. That's basically the evidence/proof/argument that's been presented to me. If you're specific, if you highlight something that's a one for one change... well, I won't ask for anyone's good faith at this point. I can take a hint, that said:

You're not going to learn about characters in a dynamic way, because they're not meant to be dynamic. That's just not a critical flaw and you're just splitting hairs. The limitation suits the narrative. It might suck in that it doesn't cater to your tastes, but that doesn't mean it's bad. I mean, what you propose in the tail end there is just drastically different from what the narrative of the games wants to communicate.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Corrosion posted:

My whole point is still that you're not going to improve the narrative without changing it. I'd like you to acknowledge that with that, you're not respecting the strengths of both games, giving me little reason to, and at that point you're just thinking in a linear fashion which, well, is why we get 2D vs 3D arguments or console wars or whatever stupid poo poo usually occurs.

I disagree. You can improve the narrative without changing it by providing better incentives for the player to explore the narrative. For me, P3 fails on its own merits because its mechanics are at odds with the themes of the game. In practice it doesn't encourage me to do things that help the main character build relationships with other characters, it encourages me to do S-Link events and give the right answers, and those are two very different things. You may have had a different experience with it, but that was mine.

quote:

You're not going to learn about characters in a dynamic way, because they're not meant to be dynamic. That's just not a critical flaw and you're just splitting hairs. The limitation suits the narrative.

Can you explain to me how it does this? Because to me that limitation seems to contradict one of the central themes of P4 in particular.

For what it's worth, though, I strongly disagree that either P3 or P4 is in any sense the story of the main character, in part because I disagree that they're actually developed enough to count as characters in the first place.

Also, accusing people of stuff like "linear thinking" is both condescending and kind of weird, so kindly knock that poo poo off.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 27, 2012

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

I actually want to see someone spend lots of money on this :D

Thuryl posted:

I disagree. You can improve the narrative without changing it by providing better incentives for the player to explore the narrative. For me, P3 fails on its own merits because its mechanics are at odds with the themes of the game. In practice it doesn't encourage me to do things that help the main character build relationships with other characters, it encourages me to do S-Link events and give the right answers, and those are two very different things. You may have had a different experience with it, but that was mine.

I respected this the first time you said, and I respect it now. I can't help reading it and interpreting it in the same fashion I interpret people who criticize Castlevania 1 for having lovely controls. They aren't lovely when you look at the objectives of the game, and how they complement those.

I don't think what you're proposing is simple or that it wouldn't change parts of the scenario. I'm not talking about just plot, but things would have to be added, considerations made about continuity of events... I think you could eventually go through the plot without altering the ACTUAL EVENTS of the plot, but that's not what I think is getting changed. For me, I cared about what Atlus wanted to tell me about the character. The fact some players have the decision to either engage in a social link or not was enough for me. That clearly isn't the case for you, but when you alter when events can take place, it's not the same experience with the characters in Social Links. It's going to alter their stories and then the experience of having one year of school as the main character.

I think that's a very big deal, given what I've said about the game. I'm refusing to call it an improvement because of that. Not because it's bad, but because it's a clear alteration of intent. I'm probably not shifting from that stance, but I don't want anyone else to at this point. I just want to drop this amicably at this point. I think it's a bold change, but not an improvement on Social Links. I don't think Social Links have that much potential, they're based on lovely Visual Novel decisions and they're good in spite of themselves.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 27, 2012

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I still don't really buy the argument that the S-Link system is a fully coherent and realized expression of the developers' intent. I can't prove it, of course, but the FATE system feels to me like what the developers wanted the S-Link system to be all along. But since neither of us is telepathic that's probably not going to be a productive line of discussion.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Well, the same goes for me. I don't know what Atlus intended for anyone to walk away with, I have some supportive arguments for what I think the message is, but... that's not the issue. And I think your request is compelling and I hate Social Links, they really get lucky with them, in my opinion. Thanks for sharing your viewpoint and for your patience.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Anyway, here are a few more details on Arena, including a video with a cutscene and some in-game dialogue.

Their mouths. :catstare:

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!
I think all they have to do to fix it is give S-links rollover points, so that you can hang out with them, or dig up grass on a mountain and give it to them, or just do the event date normally to gain experience, and have the dates themselves still be independent events. Then change those events slightly if something major changes so that it isn't so obvious it's a canned event. That way you never have to worry about whether or not hanging out with some character is worthwhile and you can just hang out with one person for weeks at a time if that's what you feel like doing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I still would prefer "who do I spend time with" management of your day over, say, having to actively prefer someone for healing in combat to get their friendship levels up. That would integrate it into the game, sure, but then your tactics in battle would be constantly lorded over by thoughts of "She's at 2 HP but if I use a strong healing spell on her, my girlfriend will get jealous!"

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Light Gun Man posted:

I still would prefer "who do I spend time with" management of your day over, say, having to actively prefer someone for healing in combat to get their friendship levels up. That would integrate it into the game, sure, but then your tactics in battle would be constantly lorded over by thoughts of "She's at 2 HP but if I use a strong healing spell on her, my girlfriend will get jealous!"

That's Fire Emblem stuff. The Fate system is not like this. In Fate it's your reaction to plot/character specific events outside of battle.

edit: punctuation, need coffee

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I know, I'm just saying that things could be a lot worse, is all.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Amazon has a bunch of PS2 SMT titles back in stock. (reprints?)

All of them are $19.99 and eligible for Prime shipping.

Nocturne - http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Nocturne-Playstation-2/dp/B00024W1U6/

Digital Devil Saga 1 - http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Digital-Playstation-2/dp/B00008KTRS/

Digital Devil Saga 2 - http://www.amazon.com/Megami-Tensei-Digital-Devil-Playstation-2/dp/B000784XG2/

Persona 3 FES - http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-Playstation-2/dp/B0014CN2H6/

Persona 4 - http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-Tensei-Persona-Playstation-2/dp/B001C6GVI6/

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Jungo is the best dude ever and i'm really glad i managed to save him. :3:

Also, my MC is the only character worth a drat. Everyone else just get swatted down like flies, and then he has to mop up, gets all the XP, and gets ahead of everyone else so that it happens again. Why does this always happen in SRPGs. :sigh:

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

Also, my MC is the only character worth a drat. Everyone else just get swatted down like flies, and then he has to mop up, gets all the XP, and gets ahead of everyone else so that it happens again. Why does this always happen in SRPGs. :sigh:

It gets better. I used Hinako as the model for my physical MC. I found the other characters to be the most balanced I've seen in a SRPG. But that is thanks to stat growth later in the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You do not actually have to worry about whether or not the main character in Devil Survivor 2 gets ahead of the others, because they frequently level up invisibly inbetween story battles to be near your level anyway. So, give him all the EXP!

I know this because there is a fight eventually where you can acquire very high infinite EXP against an overlevelled enemy. My MC gained about 12 levels in that battle. Soon after that my human allies were inexplicably only a level or two below, including people I did not use.

Devil Survivor 2 is basically the most convenient SRPG imaginable.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah I did notice that they added very subtle tweaks to that as the game went on, I think it usually had to do with when they left/rejoined the party. Once I caught on to that I was a lot less irritated with "son of a bitch, I have to reset ALL OF YOUR SKILLS again?"

Devil Survivor 2 is a game where the only drat black mark I have against it is its story, and that's pretty friggin' rare these days. That NG+ system, drat.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Technique posted:

In addition to what some other people have said, you'll later unlock a mechanic called "Joint Cracking." I don't know if you want it spoiled or not, but I'll put up some black bars just in case: When you level up your Fate with characters, you'll eventually get the ability to Joint Crack, which is basically letting your MC crack things that your teammates are aiming to Crack. That means for bosses with multiple skills that you want to crack, you can assign teammates some of those skills and have your MC kill the boss to get them all. Very, very useful in the future, and you might end up having your MC do a lot of work as a result.
And later in the game, the other party members will show off their strong points. There are a couple of real power houses on both the magic and strength sides, so they'll be able to share some of your work.
Also Multi Strike is loving ridiculous.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nahxela posted:

Also Multi Strike is loving ridiculous.

I actually just cracked that - is it worth getting the extra Ag points for it on my phys-oriented MC, or should i use it on Daichi instead?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Devil Survivor 2 is a game where the only drat black mark I have against it is its story, and that's pretty friggin' rare these days. That NG+ system, drat.

You actually had a big problem with the story? I thought it was fairly reasonable as far as JRPG and other SMT storylines go. What was so bad about it? Besides half the protagonists being insufferable, anyway.

Technique posted:

I actually just cracked that - is it worth getting the extra Ag points for it on my phys-oriented MC, or should i use it on Daichi instead?

Daichi? Forget him. Use it on Hinako, who outclasses him utterly.

While the physical options are a lot better this time around, you can still only use, at most, two physical leader teams. There's only two good sources of Pierce in this game.

One with sheer brute strength. You want Assassinate, Mow Down, Deathbound on them. Jungo is your man for this, since he essentially has the stats of a pure strength MC while also being resistant to an element. Assassinate will blast leaders for far over 1,000 damage no sweat. He really does need something to boost his defenses though. He does not take hits well.

The other with Strength plus Agility. For them you want Multi-Strike, Multi-Hit, and... well it really doesn't matter. Maybe Media or Life Drain. If you're not using your MC for this, Hinako will shine brightly in this role.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 27, 2012

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tallgeese posted:

You do not actually have to worry about whether or not the main character in Devil Survivor 2 gets ahead of the others, because they frequently level up invisibly inbetween story battles to be near your level anyway. So, give him all the EXP!

I know this because there is a fight eventually where you can acquire very high infinite EXP against an overlevelled enemy. My MC gained about 12 levels in that battle. Soon after that my human allies were inexplicably only a level or two below, including people I did not use.

Devil Survivor 2 is basically the most convenient SRPG imaginable.

The characters get a certain percentage of your EXP gained every story battle. The abilities Watchful and Vigilant make that percentage higher.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Technique posted:

Hinako. I know, I know, her character design is abysmal but holy poo poo does she do amazing things with the Multi- attacks. If she's not available, I guess you could put it on Daichi, if you wanted to.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

TurnipFritter posted:

Hinako. I know, I know, her character design is abysmal but holy poo poo does she do amazing things with the Multi- attacks. If she's not available, I guess you could put it on Daichi, if you wanted to.

About the character designs...

Yes, Hinako's design may be horrible, but at least the artist actually took the time to draw that horribleness properly. Compare to Io, whose design is not only horrendous but the actual craftsmanship behind her character art is terrible.

It is extremely strange, but the two characters you have the most (Io and Daichi) oddly enough have the least amount of care put into the art.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

How does Nocturne's difficulty compare to Strange Journey? I'm working my way through the PS2 SMTs and I just beat Persona 4 and I'm not sure whether to crack open Nocturne or the DDS games next. DDS games sound like they'd take longer since they're two whole games but at the same time I dunno if the hype over Nocturne's difficulty is overblown or if it really is that hard.

Maybe I should do DDS, Nocturne, then DDS2?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Brother Entropy posted:

Maybe I should do DDS, Nocturne, then DDS2?

I can't comment on the difficulty since it's been a while since I've played Nocturne, but I can say this: do not do this. DDS2 is not a sequel to DDS, it is the second half of the story.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

How does Nocturne's difficulty compare to Strange Journey?

The bosses and dungeons are less bullshit, on the other hand the interface is less helpful because this was before they realized it was a good idea to make checking to see what skills do as easy and painless as possible.

e: It can also be pretty vague as to your next objective, so a lot of the time you're just kinda exploring around trying to find the next plot trigger.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Tallgeese posted:

What was so bad about it? Besides half the protagonists being insufferable, anyway.

Half the protagonists, half the bit I was joking about before where I just had to start riffing on the loving ending path I picked because it was Evangelion. It was entirely Evangelion! I made a joke on day three about "oh poo poo it's Kaworu" AND IT TOTALLY WAS JESUS CHRIST

Really it's more that if I had apparently picked a single thing in a different order my first playthrough I would have saved everyone, and thus have no reason to NG+ the drat thing. As-is I get to see Jungo on run two and I might do a third for bonus bosses (since I'm doing 'no Free Battles' right now)... and that's it. This second run has taken me ~48 hours to get to day 6.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Half the protagonists, half the bit I was joking about before where I just had to start riffing on the loving ending path I picked because it was Evangelion. It was entirely Evangelion!

Nah, you're just imagining things.

e: For the record, I did not make this.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 27, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I woulda gone Daichi as Shinji, but close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Airi as Asuka...

I know it fits, but I'm kind of sickened by it because of what Shinji does to Asuka while she is in a coma.