Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

ICA posted:

I switch off 3G when not needed, even if it is a pain in the arse to do.

Ta.

You can install iControl from cydia and set it to automate turning off 3G/wifi/Bluetooth after X amount of time of inactivity, white list apps that can stay open, etc. I have it installed but I can't really notice all that much of a difference.

edit: just saw you cross posted this and you aren't jailbroken. You will obviously need to jailbreak for this.

Mr Hands Colon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I'm partial to a bit of the old jailbreaking. Might fire in then, cheers.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I used to shut off push notifications to save battery, but since OS5 you can't just hit one button to shut them off anymore :\

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

frumpsnake posted:

I tried it on my girlfriend's old 3GS that's just been sitting in a drawer. Worked perfectly on 5.1.

The activation ticket is good for 3 years, apparently, but if you rely on this method you should backup everything in /var/Root/Library/Lockdown.
As I understand, this method works only for a particular installed SIM but I'm not really sure what the unlock 'ticket' is. Let's say I want to go abroad and use a prepaid card - I suppose I would need that SIM card? Or does it give the phone an unlock potential with future SIM's?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

TheChipmunk posted:

As I understand, this method works only for a particular installed SIM but I'm not really sure what the unlock 'ticket' is. Let's say I want to go abroad and use a prepaid card - I suppose I would need that SIM card? Or does it give the phone an unlock potential with future SIM's?

The ticket is valid for a specific SIM. If you swap SIMs, you have to repeat the unlock process.

You can think of it as unlocking an individual SIM, rather than unlocking the iPhone.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I'm an ignorant fool who doesn't understand the mechanics of jailbreaking at all, but is there something preventing taking a full 1s and 0s extraction of a JBed device and transferring that to another unJBed device of the same firmware which is past its window for approval to bypass the whole mess of the JB process? Does JBing involve modifying firmware or storage in some way that can't be circumvented by a straight transfer of data? Some kind of device signature involved which mucks it all up?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

I'm an ignorant fool who doesn't understand the mechanics of jailbreaking at all, but is there something preventing taking a full 1s and 0s extraction of a JBed device and transferring that to another unJBed device of the same firmware which is past its window for approval to bypass the whole mess of the JB process? Does JBing involve modifying firmware or storage in some way that can't be circumvented by a straight transfer of data? Some kind of device signature involved which mucks it all up?

yes. There are a lot of people a lot smarter than us working on jailbreaking these devices. It's not as simple as one would hope.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Arrowsmith posted:

Some kind of device signature involved which mucks it all up?

Yeah. The whole thing is complicated by cryptographic signatures that are validated by the hardware on the device.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Oneiros posted:

The ticket is valid for a specific SIM. If you swap SIMs, you have to repeat the unlock process.

You can think of it as unlocking an individual SIM, rather than unlocking the iPhone.

This...except Apple started fixing the activation servers yesterday. Any attempts on SIMs you haven't already 'unlocked' will fail.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Yeah, "unlock for all" is dead.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Can someone remind me how to jailbreak my iPhone 4 (5.1) please?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

ICA posted:

You can't.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

You can't.

I thought there was a tethered jailbreak for the 4 and 3G(S)

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Not for 5.1? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I think it's here: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/18906290309/march-mayhem

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Not for 5.1? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Cydia on my iPhone says there is one via redsn0w? I'm on a 4S on 5.0.1 myself so I haven't bothered checking myself.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

Thirst Mutilator posted:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/chart?version=none&device=iphone4

I read the instructions for the sn0wbreeze one and didn't see anything about shsh blobs or tickets or anything so you might be in luck.

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Oh here, meant to say, my lock button is broken so will I be able to jailbreak (that video linked in the last reply to me implied that I need to put my phone into DFU mode)?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006
I suggest tree

ICA posted:

Oh here, meant to say, my lock button is broken so will I be able to jailbreak (that video linked in the last reply to me implied that I need to put my phone into DFU mode)?

Looks like a pain in the rear end

http://www.sinfuliphone.com/showthread.php?t=45145

I would wait for someone smarter than me from this thread to tell you if this is an ok idea.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

ICA posted:

Redsn0w. iPhone 4 always will have a tethered jailbreak, that part of the exploit is at the hardware level.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

dutchbstrd posted:

Redsn0w. iPhone 4 always will have a tethered jailbreak, that part of the exploit is at the hardware level.

My 4 has an untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak.

\/\/\/\/ Right, gotcha. Misunderstood that.

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 30, 2012

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

My 4 has an untethered 5.0.1 jailbreak.

He means that, worst-case scenario, there will always at least be a tethered iPhone 4 jailbreak.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Today I learned that you have to have both the client and host jailbroken in order for MyWi On-Demand to work.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere but they do get away with a slick bit of vagueness regarding iPad support here.

Oh well, the wait continues.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

Bucket Joneses posted:

Today I learned that you have to have both the client and host jailbroken in order for MyWi On-Demand to work.

This doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere but they do get away with a slick bit of vagueness regarding iPad support here.

Oh well, the wait continues.

gently caress that anyways. I bought MyWi for like $20... they shouldn't nickel and dime you for the onDemand stuff crap. I believe it was 100% broken (obviously they didn't tell you that and still let you buy it) for like a year, too.

It's easy enough to just enable bluetooth and pair when you need to tether.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I don't have an actual jailbreaking question, but I do have a themes one. I recently started experimenting with themes, and a constant I've noticed is that they reskin everything but the mail, camera and maps icon. A bit of googling tells me this is because Apple has renamed those icons in 5.0.1, but I can't find an easy way to fix the filename issue. Anyone have experience here?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

I don't have an actual jailbreaking question, but I do have a themes one. I recently started experimenting with themes, and a constant I've noticed is that they reskin everything but the mail, camera and maps icon. A bit of googling tells me this is because Apple has renamed those icons in 5.0.1, but I can't find an easy way to fix the filename issue. Anyone have experience here?

Use iFile or a pc file viewer to find the theme's icons and rename the one named after the old camera app to the new camera app name, then respring.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

dutchbstrd posted:

gently caress that anyways. I bought MyWi for like $20... they shouldn't nickel and dime you for the onDemand stuff crap. I believe it was 100% broken (obviously they didn't tell you that and still let you buy it) for like a year, too.

It's easy enough to just enable bluetooth and pair when you need to tether.

My next challenge is actually getting the iPad and iPhone to pair. Currently they don't see each other.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Use iFile or a pc file viewer to find the theme's icons and rename the one named after the old camera app to the new camera app name, then respring.
Thanks, yeah I did figure that out I once I figured where everything was. After I did the mail and maps icons I was surprised to discover that there doesn't seem to be any included icons for photoroll or camera. Im using fiftyfootshadows, fwiw.

They're in bundles/mobileslideshow for some reason. :argh:

jojoinnit fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 30, 2012

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Not sure what's going on but all of a sudden my battery went from 100% this morning at 8:45 to 21% now with about 15 minutes of light use all day. I've tried rebooting but nothing changes. The phone is also warm to the touch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this? I've installed mobileterminal and top and have checked cpu usage but there's nothing that stands out.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blinkz0rz posted:

Not sure what's going on but all of a sudden my battery went from 100% this morning at 8:45 to 21% now with about 15 minutes of light use all day. I've tried rebooting but nothing changes. The phone is also warm to the touch.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to troubleshoot this? I've installed mobileterminal and top and have checked cpu usage but there's nothing that stands out.
Mine did the same thing, even stock. Took it to the apple store and they put a new battery in, but suggested I restore and set up as a new phone because something in my backup was probably using the CPU. It still does it sometimes and I'm not sure why.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

please respond posted:

Mine did the same thing, even stock. Took it to the apple store and they put a new battery in, but suggested I restore and set up as a new phone because something in my backup was probably using the CPU. It still does it sometimes and I'm not sure why.

Did it just happen today? Today was the first time it happened. Battery life was perfect just yesterday. I'm not sure what could have changed.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blinkz0rz posted:

Did it just happen today? Today was the first time it happened. Battery life was perfect just yesterday. I'm not sure what could have changed.

It seems to come in and out, but it was running hot today and eating battery.

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I've been given a 3GS that unfortunately the previous owner already put 5.1 on. There's a tethered jailbreak option available. If I use it, can I later 'upgrade' to an untethered jailbreak when one is devised? If you do reboot without the tether you simply can't access Cydia, etc, right?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Cowboy Mark posted:

I've been given a 3GS that unfortunately the previous owner already put 5.1 on. There's a tethered jailbreak option available. If I use it, can I later 'upgrade' to an untethered jailbreak when one is devised? If you do reboot without the tether you simply can't access Cydia, etc, right?

With the 5.0.1 tethers, I know you could download an untethered "update" for it (Corona). I don't know if that was the case or will be the case with any other jailbreaks. A backup & restore may be the only/best way.

Did the previous person back up their 5.0.1 SHSH? The 3GS can be downgraded if you have the SHSH backed up.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Have you checked if it's an old-bootrom 3GS? They're untethered on 5.1.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

frumpsnake posted:

Have you checked if it's an old-bootrom 3GS? They're untethered on 5.1.

What is "old bootrom"? I have 05.16.02 as my baseband - would that work?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

wizard sticks posted:

What is "old bootrom"? I have 05.16.02 as my baseband - would that work?

Unrelated. iPhones built before November 2009 or so didn't have a "secure" bootrom.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

You can guess it based on the serial number (3rd digit is a 9 and 4th+5th is lower than 39), but it's not very accurate if it's a refurb/replacement device. I have a 2010 Week 39 that's old bootrom despite being an entire year newer than "new bootrom" devices.

The best way to check is to put it in DFU mode and look at the iBoot value in Device Manager/System Profiler. 359.3 is old. 359.3.2 is new.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 3, 2012

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
No, it's not an old boot rom, and the SHSH blobs weren't saved. I'll give it a go tethered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
So I think I did the unthinkable and bricked my phone.

I have a 3GS and just found out it's on a the new bootrom (359.3.2). I installed 5.0.1 via redsn0w with a custom IPSW so I didn't upgrade my baseband (05.16.02). It all worked well enough, until I found out that Cydia didn't install properly. I opened redsn0w again, tried re-jailbreaking, and now my phone is stuck in DFU mode and whenever I restore something in iTunes or via redsn0w I get a yellow screen and the phone just dies.

This is the yellow screen I get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfo6OmwT6rY I tried charging it for a few hours and nothing happens.

I have no idea how to fix it. It's 1 month out of AppleCare so if it's bricked I am screwed. Why couldn't I just stick with 4.3.5 :(

Edit: Well after some more googling I downloaded iBooty and it seems to have fixed it.
Now I am on 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak. How the gently caress do I get an untethered one?!

wizard sticks fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 4, 2012

• Locked thread