Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Suits are hung up in my bedroom and boots, helmets, and gloves are displayed on my dresser/bookshelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

WTF. I ordered the Hood K7 jeans on Tuesday night, and they just showed up. From England to California in one business day, rather than the ten that they advertised. They fit great (at the same listed size as the size Levis I wear), and assuming they actually work in a crash (which I hope to never find out), they're exactly what I wanted. It'll take some time to get the armor in the right place since you need to turn the inside out, fish around through the liner, reverse, try them on, repeat, but so far I'm impressed.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

frunksock posted:

WTF. I ordered the Hood K7 jeans on Tuesday night, and they just showed up. From England to California in one business day, rather than the ten that they advertised. They fit great (at the same listed size as the size Levis I wear), and assuming they actually work in a crash (which I hope to never find out), they're exactly what I wanted. It'll take some time to get the armor in the right place since you need to turn the inside out, fish around through the liner, reverse, try them on, repeat, but so far I'm impressed.

drat that is impressive. What Levi's cut do you usually wear? And can you post up some pics?

I'm really ready to drop the coin on the ND4. I think they're all cut the same, I just like the dark blue.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

frunksock posted:

They were probably drop shipped, right?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Oooh. I like those Hood K7s in black. Looks like with armor it'd be about 100$ cheaper than motoport codura pants. Oh which to get...

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

drat that is impressive. What Levi's cut do you usually wear? And can you post up some pics?

I'm really ready to drop the coin on the ND4. I think they're all cut the same, I just like the dark blue.
505s. Yeah I'll post a pic or two after work tonight. I wasn't sure, but I thought from comparing the pages that the ND4 might not have the abrasion-resistant liner.

Radbot posted:

They were probably drop shipped, right?
If drop shipped means they were came out of a warehouse closer to me than England, then nope, they were picked up at Norwich, GB yesterday morning.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

frunksock posted:

505s. Yeah I'll post a pic or two after work tonight. I wasn't sure, but I thought from comparing the pages that the ND4 might not have the abrasion-resistant liner.

If drop shipped means they were came out of a warehouse closer to me than England, then nope, they were picked up at Norwich, GB yesterday morning.

Hm, good point on the liner. I'm pretty sure all of their pants are equally lined, but I just emailed them asking about the differences between the K7 and ND4.

And if they fit like 505s that's good news. I wear 501s (shrink-to-fit), which the 505s are based on, but with a shorter rise and zipper fly (buttons on the 501 STFs).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sagebrush posted:

Don't you have some place that you put your other coats and shoes and things?

I do but was thinking it would be nice to have the stuff more convenient. Need to make a shelf for helmets so I'll just put a place to hang the suit nearby.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Z3n posted:

Jesus I'm terrible. I'll get that sent.

Hahaha its no problem- the weather has turned cold and rainy lately so I'm in no huge rush

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Well after ending up with a women's Alpinestars jacket by mistake and also finding out it's a 3 month wait for a Vanson House jacket that I can't afford I just scored an old Icon Pursuit off ebay for $89. Going to wear it around without armor as I don't even have any nice non-motorcycle jackets, which was the plan when I bought the A* way back.

The funny part is the sleeves unzip. I don't think I've ever heard of a short sleeve leather jacket before.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
My Joe Rocket Manta XL tank bag came today. It's a solid bag, but it's actually a little smaller than what I was hoping for. Bummer, but at least Amazon has free returns.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

frunksock posted:

I've always had great shipping from the UK - 3-4 days to Australia every time so far.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Hm, good point on the liner. I'm pretty sure all of their pants are equally lined, but I just emailed them asking about the differences between the K7 and ND4.

And if they fit like 505s that's good news. I wear 501s (shrink-to-fit), which the 505s are based on, but with a shorter rise and zipper fly (buttons on the 501 STFs).

I don't want to mislead you -- they don't sit on you like 501s or 505s; at least for me, they ride considerably higher on the waist, which I'd expect for motorcycle pants. I just meant that a 32x32 in Levis sizing worked out perfectly for a 32x32 in their sizing. Here are a couple pics. The hip and knee armor is in place on the leg to your right in the front pic, but not on the other leg.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

More boot chat.

I was able to shim out my oversized Sidi Adventure Rains by adapting some Leidl and Kracht CE armor I bought from Olympia a while back (they use it in their jackets).

I sliced off the top two panels, sliced the horizontal joins on the outer column of panels so it could adapt to the contours of my foot, and slid it in front of my leg and partially over my ankle. Not bad at all.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm a little confused on how track style pants are supposed to fit. I got some Alpine star 32's and the waist is fine, but its way up in my nuts. If I let the waist down the rear end is hanging like a diaper. Then when I'm standing the knee is below mine. I have to hike the knees up when I get on my bike and even then the the thighs seem short, very tight, almost hard to move a knee out. Its weird, like the upper leg is too long when standing, but too short when on the bike. Ill take pics tomorrow to show better.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Here's what a proper fitting pair of pants should look like:

Standing

In riding position

A bit of rear end sag is to be expected while standing. The crotch may ride up slightly (or it at least be snug) while standing, but when you're on the bike it shouldn't be an issue. Also note where the knee armor is while in riding position. The armor starts just below the white A/S logo so it is perfectly in line with my knees and shins.

How they fit while standing is irrelevant, but if armor is out of place when you are sitting then the pants may not fit your body proportions correctly. Do you have uncommonly long or short legs or anything like that?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I just emailed them asking about the differences between the K7 and ND4.

So for a follow-up: they get back pretty quick! I emailed them yesterday at 10am PST (6pm UK) and they got back to me earlier today - 1:41am PST. The differences are style, not substance:

Julie at Hood Jeans posted:

Dear Andrew,
Thankyou for your enquiry.
The ND4 jean is stitched in stone coloured thread and has a squarer shape back pocket and is a dark navy blue, whereas the K7 jean is a traditional stonewash blue or a black denim stitched in traditional gold coloured thread with a traditional western style back pocket.
All of our jeans are cut from the same pattern and are an easy fit style. The outer fabric and look is just personal choice on colour.

Kind Regards

Julie (Hood Jeans)

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

GanjamonII posted:

Do you guys have a good tank bag to recommend? I need a strap mounted one since I have a plastic tank now and my old magnetic one doesn't fit.

This one looks OK to me: http://www.amazon.com/CORTECH-SUPER-14L-TANK-BAG/dp/B000IZUB88/ref=sr_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1335141278&sr=1-11 but I can't tell if it comes with the straps or if that is a separate item to order.

Basically I'd like something medium size (enough to hold a couple drinks, snack, camera etc) and a hole to pass through a camelback tube would be a plus too. Really the only other criteria is solid enough not to come off even at 'high' speeds.

So this arrived yesterday. Put it on and rode to work today. It holds a pair of size 12 dress shoes just fine and has room to spare. Its not so big that it gets in the way when you're riding.

As for construction, the neoprene backing it sits on seems like it will work well to avoid scratching the tank. The bag is solid and stays on just fine at fast highway speeds. Keeps its shape when empty as well. Oh and it comes with a free rain cover which I did not expect.

The only downside I have so far is that it seems like it will be a hassle to flip up for refueling.

Pretty happy all up, just wish it was a touch cheaper.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I emailed the guys/guy at Gasolina.

Why is it so hard finding a protective pair of leather motorcycle boots? Do all the cruiser guys just wear lovely work boots or something?

CombatMedic fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 27, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

CombatMedic posted:

I emailed the guys/guy at Gasolina.

Why is it so hard finding a protective pair of leather motorcycle boots? Do all the cruiser guys just wear lovely work boots or something?

If that.

Buy a $15,000 bike, won't buy a $300 pair of boots because they're too expensive.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Armyman25 posted:

If that.

Buy a $15,000 bike, won't buy a $300 pair of boots because they're too expensive.

Finance a bike with a redunkulous monthly payment; can't afford to eat let alone buy boots.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
They don't wear those Italo-sissy protective boots on Sons Of Anarchy, thus neither shall I. Besides, I've got my lucky bandana!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Armyman25 posted:

If that.

How much protection do you want? I have both a pair of Gasolinas and Joe Rocket Sonics. I would say the protection is about the same. I commute to work on my bike so I need the ability to walk significant distances and look sharp when I ride to one of our satellite offices. Some day I'll buy full on race boots but I don't see myself doing any track days anytime soon.

Like any motorcycle gear decision you make, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. (lose time swapping from riding gear to work clothes, look silly, inability to walk, sweaty feet, etc.) It's in the low 30's when I ride to work in the morning so I'm wearing my Fieldsheer overpants and cold weather jacket. I affectionately call it my snow suit because that's what it looks and sounds like. Do I look stupid? Yeah, especially on the ride home in the 60's but I'm on a sport bike and I can only fit so much in my backpack. Am I safe and comfortable? Hell yeah!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So gear critique time? I am planning on slowly buying these in around two weeks or so. I am mostly focusing on standard/naked/sportsbike commuting gear that with some augmenting could be used for touring.

Scorpion EXO-750 - Light, neat looking and on for cheap.
Alpinestars Rod Jacket - Again cheapish leather jacket with armor. Will also buy optional back and chest armor.
Icon Strongarm 2 Enforcer Pants - For commuting on summer/hot days.
Alpinestars Bat Leather Pants - For when it gets cold.
Forcefield Limb Tubes - To augment the jeans and more protection if I feel paranoid.
Fieldsheer Aqua Sport 2.0 Gloves - Rain gloves.
Sidi Laguna Gore-Tex Boots - Meh Goretex boots
Still need to get rain gear, a reflective vest and maybe I will switch those boots with the Icon 1000 Elsinore Boots and get goretex socks because those boots look hot as gently caress.

OR for 400$ more I can get rid of the jackets, pants and extra armor and just get REV'IT! Cayenne Pro Jacket and pants... Decisions, decisions...

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Those jean pants are only reinforced in the knees. Stay away.

It is possible to center your gear around warmer-weather conditions and manage the cold by using a rainsuit in the role of a windbreaker.

Also, if you really intend to ride in the rain many times and for long periods you will probably want a pinlock shield. The coated shields resist fog, but pinlock is basically impervious.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Riders should consider Teiz as an option in their gear choices for jackets and pants and suits. I don't have any personal experience with them and I don't know what to compare them to, but they have a big following in the ADVrider community and do manufacturing in Pakistan like everyone else. They seem to keep costs low since they are not sold through distribution, made to order, and the owners are themselves Pakistani (company was an MBA project) so you have a fairly tight operation.

Homepage: http://store.teizms.com/

ADVrider thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433219

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 28, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
We ordered a Teiz suit for the wife when she was trying out different textiles, unfortunately it didn't fit her. But overall the suit was good. No crash testing but a lot of nice features.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I found one of their leather mesh suits on closeout, going to place the order.

Diego 1 Piece leather mesh suit
size: m-tall (see size chart)
color: white/black
brand new - customer ended up needed a different size
$350

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
I'm looking to pick up my first set of gear slowly.

It seems like a lot of the gear that people are picking out are primarily personal preference as long as the gear satisfies their other requirements (armor, leather, textile, etc.)

Right now I'm trying to decide on whether or not to get a leather or a textile jacket for riding. I'm going to be getting a supermoto and for now it's mainly going to be commuting.

I'm looking at Alpine Stars for Textile mainly because you can wash textile jackets. And then I'd like to get some armor for it (back, shoulders, elbows).

I'm in San Diego, so the weather is primarily warm with occasional rain in the winter months. Would I be able to find a jacket that can ride in all the conditions that San Diego has?

As for my helmet, I'm going to go into a local store to try some on, I'm mainly looking at Arai and Shoei. Any suggestions? Thanks.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Textile vs. Leather
Leather performs very well in a smaller set of conditions, while textile performs adequately in a wider range of conditions. One primary difference between leather and textile is that textile is generally designed to be worn over a variety of normal clothes, including business attire. Leather motorcycle jackets are generally designed for a snug fit. Leather jackets can be purchased large, but may be less comfortable when they are not fitted (due to the thickness of the material), and cause issues with armor placement. Textile jackets can also be purchased at reasonable prices with waterproof inner membranes or liners (as well as the customary DWR coating on the shell). Only very specialized leather jackets offer rain protection. Textile also generally offers more control over ventilation, with more options for zippered vents (sometimes even without losing waterproof properties). With leather you're generally going to have to choose between perforated and unperforated. Consider also that you can use specialized rain gear over-clothes to address waterproofing or cold-weather wind protection issues in any garment you buy.

It's all rather complicated. You need to think about when you really want to be out riding, what your needs are, what kind of riding you do, what image your want to convey, what level of safety you require, etc.

To make it very simple, textile tends to be more practical and versatile, while leather looks better and performs better in a crash.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 28, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

MotoMind posted:

One primary difference between leather and textile is that textile is generally designed to be worn over a variety of normal clothes, including business attire.

I steam shirts for work and they are re-wrinkled in 10 minutes due to my leather jackets. Only slightly though.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Please help me

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 20, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Alcatraz and Commute Suit are pretty much exactly what I want, plus the Commute is actually not that expensive. Its the 6-8 week wait thats a bummer...

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

MotoMind posted:

Textile vs. Leather
Leather performs very well in a smaller set of conditions, while textile performs adequately in a wider range of conditions. One primary difference between leather and textile is that textile is generally designed to be worn over a variety of normal clothes, including business attire. Leather motorcycle jackets are generally designed for a snug fit. Leather jackets can be purchased large, but may be less comfortable when they are not fitted (due to the thickness of the material), and cause issues with armor placement. Textile jackets can also be purchased at reasonable prices with waterproof inner membranes or liners (as well as the customary DWR coating on the shell). Only very specialized leather jackets offer rain protection. Textile also generally offers more control over ventilation, with more options for zippered vents (sometimes even without losing waterproof properties). With leather you're generally going to have to choose between perforated and unperforated. Consider also that you can use specialized rain gear over-clothes to address waterproofing or cold-weather wind protection issues in any garment you buy.

It's all rather complicated. You need to think about when you really want to be out riding, what your needs are, what kind of riding you do, what image your want to convey, what level of safety you require, etc.

To make it very simple, textile tends to be more practical and versatile, while leather looks better and performs better in a crash.

Thanks for the really informative and detailed answer. It helps a lot!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MotoMind posted:

Textile vs. Leather

Should I buy an aerostich or an aerostich light for commuting?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I haven't read the reviews in detail, but I would lean to the Roadcrafter Light. I think both suits would take serious damage in a crash and require equal repair (or replacement), so the lighter textile does not concern me too much. The Light takes the edge with the waterproof zippers, smaller packed size, and reportedly better ventilation/less heat trapping in warm weather. I think the main downside that I would check for is the ease of operating the waterproof zippers on the Light. The regular has big beefy zippers that slide fairly effortlessly.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

I haven't read the reviews in detail, but I would lean to the Roadcrafter Light. I think both suits would take serious damage in a crash and require equal repair (or replacement), so the lighter textile does not concern me too much. The Light takes the edge with the waterproof zippers, smaller packed size, and reportedly better ventilation/less heat trapping in warm weather. I think the main downside that I would check for is the ease of operating the waterproof zippers on the Light. The regular has big beefy zippers that slide fairly effortlessly.

I saw a review that mentioned they're teflon coating the new heavier duty zippers now to make them slide easier. I'm sort of leaning towards the light with heated gear in case of cold.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I had all the gear except for a chest protector. Turns out a friend of a friend bought this one: http://impactarmor.homestead.com/c-008.html

Tried track racing, crashed, never rode again. Now it's mine. What am I helping to prevent by wearing the chest protector in my one piece? It's pretty unobstrusive so I don't mind putting it in there, but I'm just curious as to the frequency and severity of chest-related injuries while motorcycling.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

I saw a review that mentioned they're teflon coating the new heavier duty zippers now to make them slide easier. I'm sort of leaning towards the light with heated gear in case of cold.

I agree. One-piece textile suits are much warmer than anything you're used to right out of the box (esp. if you wear a scarf to gasket out the neck), and it sounds like the waterproof flaps on the Light cut down on residual airflow through the zippers. I doubt you'll need heated gear for a 30 minute commute, but it sure is nice when touring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I had all the gear except for a chest protector. Turns out a friend of a friend bought this one: http://impactarmor.homestead.com/c-008.html

Tried track racing, crashed, never rode again. Now it's mine. What am I helping to prevent by wearing the chest protector in my one piece? It's pretty unobstrusive so I don't mind putting it in there, but I'm just curious as to the frequency and severity of chest-related injuries while motorcycling.

Sternum. drat near killed 'im.