Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra Orca
Apr 14, 2008
OK, so I've been sperging on Mass Effect and other RPG's for so long that my lore whore skills need a cooldown. So I've taken to Dynasty Warriors 7 and Borderlands. I love 'em both for being easy, pick-up-and-play, character building planes of endless and easy death dealing. Simple hack-n-slash or bulletstorm murder machines. Problem is, both games I prefer to play with somebody, and my somebody is currently on other games.

Any recommendations for a good beat-em-up or easy as poo poo FPS? Just something stupid simple I can play for fun and not for challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

So I recently started playing Children of the Nile again. I've played the hell out of Caesar IV. I'm aware of the SimCity series but I prefer the older periods when it comes to building cities. Am I missing anything obvious?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Chas McGill posted:

Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom.
Zeus: Master of Olympus and its expansion pack as well. Both Zeus and ERotMK are from the City Building Series, which also include Caesar and Children of the Nile (CotN being the odd one out).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Can somebody recommend me a short game (10 hours or less, but 5 hours or less is even better), with a bunch of upgrading, and can preferably be played on my couch? (PC, 360, or PS3)

Bastion was a perfect example of this...

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Something that might sound good is a top-down shooter with tons of upgrades and that is fairly _easy_ (I'm not looking for a bullet hell game). Any suggestions for that maybe?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vinlaen posted:

Something that might sound good is a top-down shooter with tons of upgrades and that is fairly _easy_ (I'm not looking for a bullet hell game). Any suggestions for that maybe?
You know Tyrian, right? If not, it's free on GOG.
It's THE top-down shooter with upgrades.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I'm looking for something like Starflight. Explore a huge universe, land on planets etc. Noctis was OK but I had a hard time with it.

Any ideas?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Funkysauce posted:

I'm looking for something like Starflight. Explore a huge universe, land on planets etc. Noctis was OK but I had a hard time with it.

Any ideas?

comedy option : S.P.O.R.E. :v:

Alternatively, Space Engine has everything but the physical space ship, and it's beautiful. It even has it's own thread on the forums! Check it out, you might like it a lot.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 1, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game to start out with. I'd be more concerned with what is the most technically sound vs. story.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

NESguerilla posted:

What's the best S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game to start out with. I'd be more concerned with what is the most technically sound vs. story.

Call of Pripyat.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some good games that look great and will test a PC's power? Upgraded my PC (now have an i5-3570k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 560 Ti) and I'm looking for something that'll really make use of it. I'm open to pretty much anything that isn't a strategy game. The genres I like are action RPGs, action-adventure and FPS games. I don't want to play Crysis, Battlefield 3, or the STALKER games because I've played those quite a lot, and I'm not interested in Mass Effect.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MrSmokes posted:

What are some good games that look great and will test a PC's power? Upgraded my PC (now have an i5-3570k, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 560 Ti) and I'm looking for something that'll really make use of it. I'm open to pretty much anything that isn't a strategy game. The genres I like are action RPGs, action-adventure and FPS games. I don't want to play Crysis, Battlefield 3, or the STALKER games because I've played those quite a lot, and I'm not interested in Mass Effect.

The Witcher 2.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

The Witcher 2.
That or Metro2033 given that the Stalker games were mentioned.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
What are some games where you start out with small territory and advance by freeing up more and more from the surrounding area and grow in power? I know this sounds really general and can apply to a whole lot of games but I'm thinking more specifically along the lines of games like Little King's Story on the Wii. And games like Pikmin and Overlord except IIRC they weren't as focused on growing your territory?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

nene. posted:

What are some games where you start out with small territory and advance by freeing up more and more from the surrounding area and grow in power? I know this sounds really general and can apply to a whole lot of games but I'm thinking more specifically along the lines of games like Little King's Story on the Wii. And games like Pikmin and Overlord except IIRC they weren't as focused on growing your territory?

It's a pretty niche genre. If you're willing to go back to SNES era games, Actraiser has a side-scrolling fighty game and a game where you're developing the towns and such you settle through conquering stuff in the fighty game portion.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
If older games are alright, there's also SimAnt.

(Definitely play Actraiser, though, if you don't mind that half the game is a rather difficult sidescroller. I didn't get around to it until 2008, and I absolutely love it. It's easily one of the best games of its era.)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

nene. posted:

Couldn't be less similar to Little King's Story but there's Crusader Kings 2.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Are there any empire-building games in which running a huge empire is just as entertaining as building it?

I'm thinking of the Civilization/Europa Universalis games here. The early game is loads of fun as you struggle to dominate your enemies, but eventually I get to a point where my economy and military are so powerful that no-one can challenge me, and further growth is just a meaningless grind. Is there any game where there's still fun things to do after you own half the world?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

nene. posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Settlers

burnt_offerings
May 9, 2012

EightDeer posted:

Are there any empire-building games in which running a huge empire is just as entertaining as building it?

I'm thinking of the Civilization/Europa Universalis games here. The early game is loads of fun as you struggle to dominate your enemies, but eventually I get to a point where my economy and military are so powerful that no-one can challenge me, and further growth is just a meaningless grind. Is there any game where there's still fun things to do after you own half the world?

Sounds like you may just need to turn up the difficulty on your Civ games.

At any rate, I'm a big 4X fan myself and Civ (Civ4 in particular) is one of my all-time favorite 4X games. If you're into that genre, I just got Endless Space (currently in alpha) on steam over the weekend and I'm hooked on it.

You may not be into the whole "space" thing and be looking for a more earthbound setting from the examples you gave, though. But it's a fun turn-based 4X'er.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Recommend me a game where you can nuke people, any genre. I have Defcon.

Also, games with/about cannibalism.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 10, 2012

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

massive spider posted:

Don't know about the second one, but you can get into some pretty heavy nuke-lobbing contests some times in Supreme Commander, both one and two.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

burnt_offerings posted:

At any rate, I'm a big 4X fan myself and Civ (Civ4 in particular) is one of my all-time favorite 4X games. If you're into that genre, I just got Endless Space (currently in alpha) on steam over the weekend and I'm hooked on it.

Do you need to preorder Endless Space for the alpha? And is it in an enjoyable state yet?

burnt_offerings
May 9, 2012

Cowcatcher posted:

Do you need to preorder Endless Space for the alpha? And is it in an enjoyable state yet?

You can order the playable alpha release on steam right now, and doing so gets you the retail version when it's released. So you get to play the alpha now if you pre-order.

And yes, it is in a very playable/enjoyable state even though it's in alpha.

Edit: It goes for about $22-$28 on steam I believe.

burnt_offerings fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 10, 2012

burnt_offerings
May 9, 2012

Terra Orca posted:

Any recommendations for a good beat-em-up or easy as poo poo FPS? Just something stupid simple I can play for fun and not for challenge.

I have been playing this game Toy Soldiers off-and-on to kill some time for about an hour at a time.

I don't know how keen you were with toy soldiers as a kid, but for me, those little plastic green men were a playtime staple as a child. I had vivid and creative battles with them all and just let my imagination run wild.

The Toy Soldiers game kinda handles all the imagination part for you and lets you enjoy a nice gaming experience in antiquated trench warfare tactics. But really, it's about re-playing all those stupid little battles you had with those toys as a kid. And it's awesome for a, "I just want to play a quick, fun game for an hour".

It's two sides fighting on a battlefield map with trenches, emplacements where you can add AA, machine guns, mortars, gas throwers (sort like flame-throwers, but, you guessed it... with gas), artillery, etc. You can upgrade them all to more powerful version as you complete missions.

The enemies come at you in waves (could be soldiers, planes, tanks, etc) and it's up to your choice and positioning of emplacement weapons that is gonna make or break the battle. There are bosses at the end of each map as well, like a giant german robot tank or some-such nonsense sorta thing.

All the emplacements can be manned at any point.

There's also bi-planes and bombers you can fly which are actually pretty fun.

The whole graphics package makes it look like a battlefield you would build as a kid. Like a cigar box for each player's base, etc. So it really catches the whole "This is what I would have imagined as a kid playing with those little green men" sorta thing.

I've only mucked around in the single player mode. Can't recall if there is multi-player or not. If you're interested, I'll check for you.

It's not time intensive, you can burn through a map in a half hour or so.

Edit: Always forget this part... it was only about $8 on steam. Maybe $6.

burnt_offerings fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 10, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

massive spider posted:

My brother always picks the "Cannibal" trait when he plays Fallout3/New Vegas, but I don't know of any other games that really feature it.

You'd probably need to wait for a Cannibal Holocaust/Battle Royale-crossover kickstarter or something.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

massive spider posted:

Skryim's pretty popular and has a cannibalism-based Daedra to worship/get the crappy reward for nonexclusively "following"

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

massive spider posted:

The Civilization games have nukes as endgame weapons, although there is usually a severe penalty to using them compared to conventional weapons.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

massive spider posted:

Nuclear War

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm looking for a good tactics based RPG for the PC. I checked out HOMM 5 and King's Bounty:AP but they weren't what I was looking for. I want something like Shining Force (Yeah I know SF is available on steam) where it's all about combat and you don't have to worry about resources or building cities or stuff.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

There's The Banner Saga and... playstation and gamecube emulators.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for a challenging, gritty single player game for PC. Something like Deus Ex, Witcher2, System Shock 2, Fallout games, STALKER, Metro2033, Grim Fandango, Hitman, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 12, 2012

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Are their any games out there besides Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption where you can ride really fast on a horse? Skyrim doesn't count, the Skyrim horse sucks.

Also on a related note I just watched Ben Hur for the first time in fifteen years and I'm convinced that what the world needs is a chariot racing sim. You can pimp out your chariot with blades and spikes and trample dudes and I need to pitch this idea to a game developer stat.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Dominoes posted:

I'm looking for a challenging, gritty single player game for PC. Something like Deus Ex, Witcher2, System Shock 2, Fallout games, STALKER, Metro2033, Grim Fandango, Hitman, Alpha Protocol, etc.

Rage, Binary Domain and Borderlands all spring to mind as possibilities.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dominoes posted:

I can't figure out the common link between these games besides being single player and having come out for the PC at some point. Can you elaborate on challenging/gritty?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zoe posted:

Are their any games out there besides Oblivion and Red Dead Redemption where you can ride really fast on a horse? Skyrim doesn't count, the Skyrim horse sucks.

Assassin's Creed games, Shadow of the Collossus, and Mount and Blade all have pretty good horsin'

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Assassin's Creed games, Shadow of the Collossus, and Mount and Blade all have pretty good horsin'

drat, how'd I not even think of Mount and Blade? I've been meaning to play that one for awhile now too.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

Has there been any Myst-like games as of late? I really, really enjoyed Myst V and Myst Online, and I really wish that the series hadn't come to a stop. I'm mainly talking about exploring new worls, reading journals to put together the pieces .. Basically as similar to the Myst-games it gets, it's great! I would actually prefer it to be in 3D compared to the Myst-likes of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I picked up a 3DS on SA Mart not too long ago. I'm wondering what awesome games I missed out on on the original DS. Platformers, RPGs, innovative titles, pretty much anything.