Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Riptor posted:

From where does the phrase "it's all in the wrist" originate? People say it all the time as if it has some kind of wry, wink-wink innuendo element to it, the same way they say "size matters" or something similar, but I have no idea where it originally came from

From

(on tennis)

is the earliest that I can find, although I'm no corpus wizard. The meaning of the phrase is that finesse is more important than brute force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Randomity posted:

:siren: There is one on woot right now but it's a woot off so it won't be there long! :siren:

Crap, Woot doesn't ship to Canada. Gonna look for a refurb then. Thanks for the advice guys.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Poldarn posted:

Crap, Woot doesn't ship to Canada. Gonna look for a refurb then. Thanks for the advice guys.
This is the vacuum I bought. I bought it from that seller too. Shipped and showed up promptly. That thing works like a champ on my carpet and I have 3 cats.

e: aw poo, I just noticed he doesn't ship to Canada. :( But ebay is a pretty good resource for refurb's anyways!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

dokmo posted:

From

(on tennis)

is the earliest that I can find, although I'm no corpus wizard. The meaning of the phrase is that finesse is more important than brute force.

Why does this all sound so vaguely sexual

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Hoops posted:

What's so bad about hotmail anyway?
It really has improved over the years, but I'm tired of a few dumb quirks. Gmail seems smarter about searching. Everything takes a long time. I'm on a Mac using Firefox, and for some dumbass reason Hotmail's created a keyboard shortcut tying cmd+C to a menu - so no easy copy/paste. Slow to attach files, slow to download attachments. It took them loving forever to implement push email. Just little things, but they add up.

I'll say this, Hotmail's spam filter is fantastic - I honestly can count the spam emails I get per month on one hand. Problem is, it's a little too strong. I'm tired of trying to send simple emails to my wife (subject: dinner; body: gimme a list and I'll stop at the store after work) and having Hotmail block my email because it looks like spam. Guys, I write this person 20 times a day and she's in my contact list - she's not loving spam. This was funny the first time, not so funny on the tenth.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 26, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is google down for everyone else right now?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

NESguerilla posted:

Nope.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

I have no idea where else to put this since I can't find a thread talking about youtube copyright stuff, but I recently got one of my videos taken down and don't know if I should file a copyright counter-notification or not. It's not really a big deal at all to me, but it would be nice to not have another strike on my youtube account.

The video was called I-Doser aspirin. I recorded a bunch of noises with my guitar and processed it all to hell so it sounded like one of those ridiculous binaural beats that people buy and use to get high. Then I stuck some dumb painting of an alien on the video from google images. It was all original content, but I could understand that someone from the I-doser site (which surprisingly is a legitimate business) would think that I took some .wav file from their site and stuck it on youtube or something. Is a convincing parody of something considered copyright infringment? Is the fact that I had i-doser in the title copyright infringment?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

NESguerilla posted:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

This site is very useful for that type of question.

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/google.com

Runnig this a few times seems to suggest that there may be a problem.

scar
Apr 10, 2005
I've recently returned from overseas and managed to aquire two bottles of Jack Daniel's 1954 Gold Medal.

I'd like to know if it's any different from any of the other Jack Daniel's - I know there's generally the black, Gentlemen Jack and Single Barrel. Are these Gold editions any different from the black apart from the bottle?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

NESguerilla posted:

Are you using Chrome? I was having trouble with google earlier. I just turned off "Predict network actions to improve page load performance" and the 2 Google windows I had open and loading for several minutes suddenly loaded instantly.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Saucepan Man posted:

I have no idea where else to put this since I can't find a thread talking about youtube copyright stuff, but I recently got one of my videos taken down and don't know if I should file a copyright counter-notification or not. It's not really a big deal at all to me, but it would be nice to not have another strike on my youtube account.

The video was called I-Doser aspirin. I recorded a bunch of noises with my guitar and processed it all to hell so it sounded like one of those ridiculous binaural beats that people buy and use to get high. Then I stuck some dumb painting of an alien on the video from google images. It was all original content, but I could understand that someone from the I-doser site (which surprisingly is a legitimate business) would think that I took some .wav file from their site and stuck it on youtube or something. Is a convincing parody of something considered copyright infringment? Is the fact that I had i-doser in the title copyright infringment?

I believe you are in the right, but the issue might be proving yourself.

You may be violating trademark issues by using their name (but if it's a "fair use" parody not for your own profit, maybe not, I don't know a ton about this). But it is not a copyright issue unless you are using their creative content, which you are not.
Trademark = name or slogan or logo, needs to be registered (hence (R) sometimes appearing instead of TM) by the plaintiff
Copyright = content, does not need to be registered with anyone (but it helps for proving precedent)

But if your parody is that convincing, it might take showing the original production files to prove that it is your own content. Youtube might not care to listen to you, but then they might.

edit: this info is for US law

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
US goons, I'm curious about your student loans.

Where I come from, you have to deal with the governement to get one.

In the US, do you deal directly with banks? What determines the amount of money you receive? Do you receive less money if you have a job, live with your parents, etc.?

How much does one typically receive, or does that depend on the institution you're attending?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
More gmail chat!

Inside gmail, I've setup my hotmail as a pop3 account, and it's working. Problem is the timing is really sporadic - I'll send myself a test, and sometimes it'll immediately bounce into my gmail inbox, other times it takes up to an hour. Under pop3 options it tells you the last time pop3 was checked, and there's a button to "check mail now." But as far as I can tell there aren't any settings I can change to make gmail check for mail, say, every 5 minutes. Anyone know a way to get gmail to check pop3 mail more often?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Bloody Mayhem posted:

In the US, do you deal directly with banks? What determines the amount of money you receive? Do you receive less money if you have a job, live with your parents, etc.?

How much does one typically receive, or does that depend on the institution you're attending?

There are government loans and also private loans. The government loans do go through banks but you don't really ever have any communication with the bank.

Each year students fill out a FAFSA (Financial Aid something something something) where you list your income, your parents income, and the give you a number called the EFC (expected family contribution.) Your school will then subtract the EFC from the total cost of attendance and that's the maximum amount of aid you can get.

Students from lowish income families are usually eligible for some grants from the school and from the government. The maximum government (Pell) grant you can get is $5,500 but most get less and Congress is probably going to reduce the funding/maximum soon. Grants from the specific college are going to vary wildly but I think that private schools generally offer more. On top of that there are scholarships which are usually merit (as opposed to need) based.

So you take all of that money you're getting or expected to provide (grants+scholarships+EFC) and subtract that from the cost of attendance and that's the gap you've got to make up with either loans or cash.

The two major federal loan programs are Perkins and Stafford. Perkins is a need-based loan with an interest rate of 5%, a limit of 5.5k/year, and a lifetime limit of $27.5k for undergraduates. Grad students can take out 8k/year with a lifetime limit of $60k. All Perkins loans are subsidized (interest doesn't accrue until repayment starts) and you have 9 months after you graduate (or leave school) to start repayment.

The other one is Stafford which is a bit more complicated. There are both subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and on the unsubsidized loans interest accrues while you're in college. The interest rate varies year by year and is about to go from 2.48% to 6.8%. Many people aren't happy about that. You have six months after you graduate to begin repayment. The amount you can borrow varies by year for subsidized loans. $3.5k freshman year, 4.5k sophomore year, and 5.5k junior and senior years. You can take out 2k in unsubsidized loans each year. There are ways to take out more if you're an independent student (emancipated from your parents.)

It's also important to note that those are the maximums; depending on how much aid the school says you need you may not get that much. Also you aren't obligated to take the full loan, so if you're offered $2k and only need $500 of it you can just take out the $500.

If after all that you still need money your parents can take out a Parent Plus Loan. There is no maximum on how much you can take out on parent plus loans but you can't take out more than the difference between all other financial aid and the cost of attendance. It has a higher interest rate and the parent, not the student, is responsible for repayment.

If after all THAT you still need money (or if your parents won't take out a Plus loan) then you have to get a student loan from an actual bank. Several banks offer them; they're just like any sort of loan I suppose but I never had to take on of those out so I'm not sure how the process goes.

Once you graduate you have 6-9 months before you have to start making loan payments. For the federal loans you can choose from a few different payment plans. Regular is a 10 year repayment (with a $50 minimum/month), Extended is 25 year repayment (but you must have over 30k in debt) and you can choose between standard (same payment each month) or graduated (the payment gets higher every two years,) Graduated (like regular but the payments start low and get higher.)

There are two other more complex repayment plans. One is Income Contingent, which I'll just quote:

"Each year, your monthly payments will be calculated on the basis of your adjusted gross income (AGI, plus your spouse's income if you're married), family size, and the total amount of your Direct Loans. Under the ICR plan you will pay each month the lesser of:
the amount you would pay if you repaid your loan in 12 years multiplied by an income percentage factor that varies with your annual income, or
20% of your monthly discretionary income*."

If after 25 years of that repayment plan you haven't paid off your loans then they'll write off the rest, but you do have to pay tax on the write-off. The last plan is Income Based which is like the Income Contingent but just based off of your income and family size, and you only have 10 years to repay.

When you repay you pay Stafford and Perkins separately. If you go on the site it will list the bank that is servicing the loan, but you're sending the check (or e-check) to Stafford or Perkins.

One last thing; student loans are very hard to discharge. In general the only way to do discharge is to die, become permanently incapacitated, wait out the 25 years on the AGI repayment plan, or take a job that the government will allow you to write off your loans for. The only job like that I'm aware of is teaching in certain districts where they have trouble attracting students. Student loans do NOT discharge in a bankruptcy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I have a laptop where there are dedicated mouse buttons are built into the trackpad. Is there any way to change the size of the touch area to exclude the bottom part, so I can use the buttons as buttons only, without having them register my fingers as on the pad?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

jackpot posted:

More gmail chat!

Inside gmail, I've setup my hotmail as a pop3 account, and it's working. Problem is the timing is really sporadic - I'll send myself a test, and sometimes it'll immediately bounce into my gmail inbox, other times it takes up to an hour. Under pop3 options it tells you the last time pop3 was checked, and there's a button to "check mail now." But as far as I can tell there aren't any settings I can change to make gmail check for mail, say, every 5 minutes. Anyone know a way to get gmail to check pop3 mail more often?

You are correct. There is no way to tell Google how often to check your pop3 accounts. Google uses an algorithm to figure out how often but you can force it by refreshing your GMail inbox. I believe users who get more mail in their POP3 accounts will be checked more often.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

^^ Thanks!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

One last thing; student loans are very hard to discharge. In general the only way to do discharge is to die, become permanently incapacitated, wait out the 25 years on the AGI repayment plan, or take a job that the government will allow you to write off your loans for.
You can scratch dying off that list, it's no guarantee.

Student dies, parents keep receiving student loan bills

This story only updated in the last few hours; the bank caved, and the kid's loan is gone now. Long story short, it's a courtesy (and a common one) for banks to forgive student loans if the student dies, but it's by no means a requirement. You're going to hear a lot of news about student loan debt in the U.S. in the next few years, possibly with pictures of fire and overturned cars and helmeted men with batons. It's pretty bad.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 26, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

jackpot posted:

This story only updated in the last few hours; the bank caved, and the kid's loan is gone now. Long story short, it's a courtesy (and a common one) for banks to forgive student loans if the student dies, but it's by no means a requirement. You're going to hear a lot of news about student loan debt in the U.S. in the next few years, possibly with pictures of fire and overturned cars and helmeted men with batons. It's pretty bad.

I'm not expert on loans, but ... aren't the loans with the child and not the parents? Unless he's still a dependent of them, doesn't his debt die with him, barring him having an estate that could pay things off (which presumably someone with student loans doesn't have)

edit: vvv oh, cosigning. Duh.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 26, 2012

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

jackpot posted:

^^ Thanks!

You can scratch dying off that list, it's no guarantee.

Student dies, parents keep receiving student loan bills

I always assumed my parents would inherit the loans they had cosigned for, but I guess it's not common practice? Either way, I threw some extra life insurance coverage in just in case they got stuck with the bill.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

jackpot posted:

More gmail chat!

Not automatic, but there's an easier way to force a re-check.
Settings > Labs > Refresh POP accounts > Enable

This will place a button at the top of your inbox that, when clicked, will refresh all POP accounts you have set up. Far simpler than digging through the settings.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

change my name posted:

I have a laptop where there are dedicated mouse buttons are built into the trackpad. Is there any way to change the size of the touch area to exclude the bottom part, so I can use the buttons as buttons only, without having them register my fingers as on the pad?

It's likely there are settings like that. Check out the properties of the driver for your track pad (e.g. under mouse in control panel if you're using Windows).

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Bloody Mayhem posted:

There is a whole thread about this in BFC.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I left my wallet and phone at home, only noticed when I was halfway (in the car!) to work. I have printed out a copy of my driver's license from a document I sent someone a few months ago.

Should I just borrow $10 from a colleague and take the train home? Is driving without a license pretty risky?

edit: I am in CA, I am foreign.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Most likely you won't get pulled over and nothing will happen. If you do get pulled over, driving without your license in your possession will get you ticketed.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12951.htm posted:

12951. (a) The licensee shall have the valid driver's license issued to him or her in his or her immediate possession at all times when driving a motor vehicle upon a highway.

Any charge under this subdivision shall be dismissed when the person charged produces in court a driver's license duly issued to that person and valid at the time of his or her arrest, except that upon a third or subsequent charge the court in its discretion may dismiss the charge.
When a temporary, interim, or duplicate driver's license is produced in court, the charge shall not be dismissed unless the court has been furnished proof by the Department of Motor Vehicles that the temporary, interim, or duplicate license was issued prior to the arrest, that the driving privilege and license had not been suspended or revoked, and that the person was eligible for the temporary, interim, or duplicate license.

(b) The driver of a motor vehicle shall present his or her license for examination upon demand of a peace officer enforcing the provisions of this code.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
It's a fix-it ticket though, so as long as you go to the court and prove you had a license at the time, they'll dismiss it.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I am in the market for a kick-rear end floor fan and am also looking at AC options for the three bedroom apartment we are renting. I can't get my husband to stop whining about the eight bladed box fan he used to have, but they don't seem to exist anymore. I lack archives, so I can't pull up the megathread about fans that popped up in GBS awhile back. I do remember Vornado being a favorite, but other reccomendations are welcome.

As far as AC goes, there is no central air at the apartment so some previous roommates opted for a window mounted unit. We are considering a portable unit and wonder if it would be worth the hassle, if it is even possible, of shuttling it back and forth between two rooms (the new roomie is on his own). Should we just pony up for two window units, does our idea for the portable even work, or can someone reccomend a good portable evap cooler?

Thanks for your help, goons!

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Travakian posted:

It was Visa-related (specifically the lack thereof), particular to that one instance; the reason itself is temporary, just considering the repercussions.

On the UKBA site there's a big ol' PDF detailing re-entry bans, when/how/why they're used, and I suppose some of them could reasonably be applied -- just curious if I could check anywhere to see if there has been a ban, or just the initial boot.
Just call the british embassy in your area and ask?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Travakian posted:

This will place a button at the top of your inbox that, when clicked, will refresh all POP accounts you have set up. Far simpler than digging through the settings.

Holy poo poo you answered a question I didn't even know I had. Thank you so much for this!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm a little confused by this paypal transaction thing I'm seeing. I just had to cancel the payment I made, but it looks like I'm being refunded once but double-charged the 193 bucks.

What's going on with this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

N. Senada posted:

I'm a little confused by this paypal transaction thing I'm seeing. I just had to cancel the payment I made, but it looks like I'm being refunded once but double-charged the 193 bucks.

What's going on with this?

1: they took 193.49 from you
2: they cancelled a payment, the payment amount: 193.49 (this is so that you know which one was cancelled)
3: they gave 193.49 back to your card.

total: no money taken from you.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

buttopticor posted:

It's likely there are settings like that. Check out the properties of the driver for your track pad (e.g. under mouse in control panel if you're using Windows).

Nope, just options to change tracking speed/enable or configure multitouch gestures.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
So, in order to help my little brother get better at mental math, we play that game where you add/subtract/multiply/divide four numbers and try to get them to ten.

(e.g., [4 5 3 9] --> ((9-4)-3)*5=10).

Obviously, there are some that won't work, [1 1 1 1] being an extreme example. Is there anyway to tell which ones will or won't work besides brute force? Additionally, are there any solvers online? I don't even know where to begin googling for that.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

User-Friendly posted:

So, in order to help my little brother get better at mental math, we play that game where you add/subtract/multiply/divide four numbers and try to get them to ten.

Obviously, there are some that won't work, [1 1 1 1] being an extreme example. Is there anyway to tell which ones will or won't work besides brute force? Additionally, are there any solvers online? I don't even know where to begin googling for that.

No idea, but I've seen variants that allow you to merge numbers, so [(11 - 1)*1] would come out as 10..

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Unfortunately, getting to 24 is much more popular than getting to 10, so it's hard for me to find a list of possible combinations that work for 10. However, judging by the list of what does and doesn't work for 24, there's not going to be an easy way to tell. You could have a computer program build a list and spit out problems from it, though.

For future reference, you can post questions like that in the math(s) questions thread.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How do you pronounce "Rouxmia"? Is it like the ingredient plus the name Mia?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
The problem seems kind of Abelian group theory-ish; I wish I actually knew something about it other than the briefest skimming in a history of math course. But yeah, if it's single digits and four operators, enumerating all the possibilities would be pretty non-taxing on a modern machine (10^4 * 4^3=64000 possible outcomes). Bracketing would add more possibilities, of course.

I heard it first as "four 4s", ie. try to make all the numbers using only four 4s and operators. I cheat, I use exponents and radicals.

My question: is there some resource out there that teaches how to do cursive Cyrillic?

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

This sounds similar to the numbers game they play on Countdown/Letters and Numbers.

There are a few solvers online, such as the one below which I think may work for you as it allows you to set only 4 of the variables:

http://djce.org.uk/countdown

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

FeloniousDrunk posted:

My question: is there some resource out there that teaches how to do cursive Cyrillic?
You might get a good response in the Russian language thread over in Science, Academics and Languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Travakian posted:

That's awesome, thanks. I'd never gone poking around in Labs before, I added half a dozen others while I was there.