Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Banshee is solid as a 4th pick or later since a 4/4 for 5 in black is always playable, and when you can turn her on (usually in aggressive decks) she is the nuts. It's funny cause DII now has 2 inferior skinrenders: Morkut Banshee and Farbog Boneflinger, and both are still pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

JerryLee posted:

I'm not as down on Morkrut Banshee as some people are. It can be a decent card towards the end of building your deck, especially if you have a few sac outlets. The more important thing you should take away from Wezlar's comment is that even if Banshee is playable you should never ever take it over Bonds of Faith (well, if you are in both colors).

Also, swiss, definitely.

Yeah, that's what I meant. If the banshee had been a Bonds of Faith instead when I had her, I probably would have had much better chances of winning those particular games.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

revengeanceful posted:

Did my very first DII draft for TNMO. I ended up 2-1, but I'm really unhappy with how the draft went. Pack one it was really hard to determine which colors to jump into, and I didn't pick up nearly enough creatures. Just to start, I'm sure P1P4 and P1P11 are questionable at best, and I'm sure I made other bad picks along the way. Please point them out. Anyway, here's the draft:
http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=38krf

And here's the deck:
http://i.imgur.com/LGqEv.jpg

I lost the first round to what was essentially a better version of my deck, but was able to win the next two thanks to some of the powerful synergies in the deck (Stalker+Dagger, Abbatoir Ghoul+Cleaver, Snapcaster+Griptide).

Anybody have any thoughts on this draft?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

revengeanceful posted:

Anybody have any thoughts on this draft?

p1p2 I think I'd have followed with black, despite Wild Hunger being very good. Ravenous Demon is potentially bomby by itself.

p1p6 I don't think you splash for Griptide, and if you are in blue otherwise Runebinder can just win games by itself.

p1p7 Dunno with your picks, my line of picks would have happily picked Thought Scour.

p1p9 What kind of deck you think you had forming up at this point?

p2p2 I believe you want the actual beater in Lantern Spirit, Feeling of Dread is something you can usually wheel.

p2p3 This is bad I think, generally Delver is hardly as reliable and overpowering as it is in constructed. Claustrophobia is A class removal you should take here.

p2p4 I think the right pick is Claustrophobia again. Stalker is incredibly swingy, but on average I would say Claustrophobia just does things better in the situation where you don't have anything to build around Stalker yet.

p2p6 Are you black or white? I think what tempting black you have you can splash at this point: Lingering Souls flashback, Tragic Slip. I'd just pick Chapel Geist and start settling on UWb.

p3p3 You are building too much around single Stalker I think. Fiend Hunter, see if you can wheel the dagger.

My pack 1:

p1 Tragic Slip
p2 Ravenous Demon
p3 Lingering Souls
p4 Midnight Guard
p5 Drogskol Captain, thinking that UW must be open
p6 Havengul Runebinder
p7 Thought Scour
p8 Harrowing Journey, in case I end up B anyway, not much power lost by passing Bone to Ash
p9 Chant of Skifsang
p10 Divination
p11 Faith's Shield
p12 Thought Scour

I would have been looking at UWb or UBw after pack 1 with these picks. Though white didn't seem to be coming in the late pack, I probably would go Uw anyway if there's any good W coming from downstream. p1p5 Drogskol Captain is really late I think, and I much rather splash Lingering Souls flashback than maincolour the flashback and splash the actual casting cost.

As to you build from pool you had: I think you could use more creatures, I'd cut one Dissipate for Stromkirk Patrol, Feeling of Dread for single Corpse Lunge, one Plains and one Island for two Swamps for a deck a bit more focused on UB and leaving white just for splashing what is worth it.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Any thoughts on how AVR not having any colorless mana-fixing will affect using it as a standalone set in limited?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

whydirt posted:

Any thoughts on how AVR not having any colorless mana-fixing will affect using it as a standalone set in limited?

It has the manalith that tucks a card from a graveyard when it ETB. Granted, that's an uncommon, but it's colorless mana fixing!

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

whydirt posted:

It's not much, but it is something.

The two common green mana fixers are pretty good, so I'm kinda interested to see how green based multicolour good stuff could play out in draft.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oops, forgot about the Manalith clone!

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Lunael - Thanks very much for your thoughts, I greatly appreciate them. See my thoughts below:

Lunael posted:

p1p2 I think I'd have followed with black, despite Wild Hunger being very good. Ravenous Demon is potentially bomby by itself.
You're probably right here. I never really considered the Demon, but I definitely should have. I think I was distracted by the Wild Hunger because I strongly considered it for p1p1.

p1p6 I don't think you splash for Griptide, and if you are in blue otherwise Runebinder can just win games by itself.
At this point I was thinking I might be heading towards W/B/u, so the Griptide would be more easily splashable, but the Runebinder is a very powerful card, you're right about that.

p1p7 Dunno with your picks, my line of picks would have happily picked Thought Scour.
Fair enough, I was kind of all over the place up to this point.

p1p9 What kind of deck you think you had forming up at this point?
Here I was concerned about my lack of creatures, so I think this was a "pick any decent creature" selection. Chant is probably better here since I'm definitely blue but might not be in black and creatures will come.

p2p2 I believe you want the actual beater in Lantern Spirit, Feeling of Dread is something you can usually wheel.
I debated this pick right up until the last second and regretted my pick almost immediately, going back to my concern about lack of creatures. That said, I would be surprised if the Feeling of Dread tabled, that card is pretty sweet.

p2p3 This is bad I think, generally Delver is hardly as reliable and overpowering as it is in constructed. Claustrophobia is A class removal you should take here.
You're absolutely right. I think after not grabbing a guy p2p2 I felt compelled to grab something that attacks and blocks here. I'm not even sure I noticed the Claustrophobia in this pack to be honest.

p2p4 I think the right pick is Claustrophobia again. Stalker is incredibly swingy, but on average I would say Claustrophobia just does things better in the situation where you don't have anything to build around Stalker yet.
At this point, I didn't see how my deck would win if I took a removal spell here. I figured grabbing a Stalker and looking to grab some equipment to slap on him would at least give me a gameplan.

p2p6 Are you black or white? I think what tempting black you have you can splash at this point: Lingering Souls flashback, Tragic Slip. I'd just pick Chapel Geist and start settling on UWb.
I guess I didn't think I had enough playable white at this point to grab the Geist, particularly on the creature front, but I guess Geist would have helped on that front.

p3p3 You are building too much around single Stalker I think. Fiend Hunter, see if you can wheel the dagger.
Based on the picks I'd made to this point, I didn't think I could really afford to grab a double white spell, and having two potential equipment for the Stalker felt better than one. The odds of hitting both the Stalker and an equipment felt too low with just the Cleaver.

My pack 1:

p1 Tragic Slip
p2 Ravenous Demon
p3 Lingering Souls
p4 Midnight Guard
p5 Drogskol Captain, thinking that UW must be open
p6 Havengul Runebinder
p7 Thought Scour
p8 Harrowing Journey, in case I end up B anyway, not much power lost by passing Bone to Ash
p9 Chant of Skifsang
p10 Divination
p11 Faith's Shield
p12 Thought Scour
I think you're definitely in a better spot than me at this point. This is really helpful to see laid out like this.

As to you build from pool you had: I think you could use more creatures, I'd cut one Dissipate for Stromkirk Patrol, Feeling of Dread for single Corpse Lunge, one Plains and one Island for two Swamps for a deck a bit more focused on UB and leaving white just for splashing what is worth it.
Good calls here. I definitely ended up too light on creatures and removal. Feeling of Dread is really good, but tough to cast, so a Corpse Lunge is probably better.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Yeah passing the Fiend Hunter was fair there if you were decided on UB at that point, of course (didn't really keep in mind what you had in pile at that point).

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Okay, here's a second draft. Swiss this time, went 1-2 again. I'm not too concerned since I did pick up a foil Liliana (!) which should fund a draft or two more, but I am a bit upset at my own playing and the fact that I got flooded and screwed a few times. I think I was too heavy on the higher-end drops.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=38krh

I made some mistakes near the start and I think it took a little too long to fall into my colors, but I think I ended up with a solid GB deck:

By the way, Essence of the Wild and Spider Spawning makes for a fun time.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Spincut posted:

Okay, here's a second draft. Swiss this time, went 1-2 again. I'm not too concerned since I did pick up a foil Liliana (!) which should fund a draft or two more, but I am a bit upset at my own playing and the fact that I got flooded and screwed a few times. I think I was too heavy on the higher-end drops.

I made some mistakes near the start and I think it took a little too long to fall into my colors, but I think I ended up with a solid GB deck:

p1p1: Okay, right off the bat this may be preference motivated, but I hate first picking captains. Vault is pretty crazy, more versatile (by strategy and utility) and is easier to splash if needed.

p1p2: Again this is mostly preference, but I think Burning Oil and Fires are both better here, and following your p1p1 captain it should have been Fires.

Things cascade quickly into a different direction after those picks, since you were passed lots of interesting choices had those picks been different.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Spincut posted:

Looking at your deck:
I think it is a bit too top-heavy, even with the double Scorned Villager. Drop Kindercatch, one Hollowhenge Scavenger, play Village Cannibals and Harrowing Journey.

The draft, I think you were going a bit too much over the place.

p1p1 Vault of the Archangel is easily the pick here. If you have it active, and have any semblance of board presence, your opponent is in a world of hurt.

p1p2 As you started with BR lord, I would really just follow with Fires of Undeath. Once you are in the colours, it is just better.

p1p5 I wouldn't have made this jump, Blood Feud is decent enough I think.

p1p6 I can't say that following green here is wrong, but just keeping to red and picking Forge Devil is definitely not wrong either.

p1p7 Pretty much the same, Harrowing Journey is good pick.

p1p8 Red feels pretty open too, with the Wrack the Madness coming around.

p1p1 The normal question: what colours did you consider yourself to be in after pack 1?

p2p2 Wolf is I believe a better beater.

p3p5 I think your curve could have used Markov Patrician better.

My pack 1:

p1 Vault of the Archangel
p2 Fires of Undeath - more committing than Death's Caress, but I think the potential power is just higher.
p3 Skirsdag Flayer
p4 Death's Caress
p5 Blood Feud
p6 Torch Fiend
p7 Harrowing Journey
p8 Torch Fiend
p9 Wrack with Madness
p10 Russet Wolves
p11 Erdwal Ripper - not sure if I want second Journey
p12 Fling

Pretty much set on BR after pack 1. Looking to splash Vault activation, any high enough power white I might pick up (Slayer of the Wicked -level).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Vault of the Archangel is easily the pick here

It's hard to "get" some of these cards until you've tried them. I drafted a vault a bit ago, and I was surprised both at how much difference it made and how seldom I activated it. Kind of like Darkthicket Wolf - it's often the threat of activation that's the value rather than actually doing it.

Obviously sometimes you certainly do activate vault (or wolf) - but often you don't. Rather, the Vault often works something like "Your small creatures are unblockable, and their big ground creatures don't attack. Pay 5: Gain some life, if you have nothing better to do this turn."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Can't say if it's better than Vault obviously, but in general I really don't mind starting my drafts with one of the captains if there isn't anything clearly better in the pack. With the possible exception of the zombie (just because I hate trying to be U/B now) they all point me towards decks I'm happy having and if it isn't coming after a few picks I just let it go the same way I would for any enticing but color-heavy first pick.

e: feels weird talking about specific INN/DKA picks in the present tense, since I personally have more or less already relegated that format to the past.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Jackie and I just got back from celebrating our anniversary, so we're capping off a paired, seven course meal with a draft stream! (edit: we are done for the night)

Also, I'm trying to get more inter-grated (internet integrated) so I'll start Tweeting streams and whatnot, in case that's easier to follow.

vvv Edit vvv: no, we are classy as gently caress.

Edit again: welp, that didn't turn out great. Thanks for attending Durdlefest 2012! Maybe next year something... might... happen?

rinski fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 28, 2012

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Are you planning on exploding and vomiting like Mr. Creosote? That could be entertaining as well! I always enjoy your drafts.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Just got back from midnight draft of avr. Got ninth because top 8 went to the undefeated and people who choose to draw into 10 points over my 9 for playing it out. feeling pretty bad right now, but the set is a blast and a half. Moonsilver Spear is an absolute boss, slam that thing every time you see it.

Good luck to everyone, watch out for Ravens, because they will ruin your day.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Thanks for the help with my previous draft, everyone. I have a question: when do you feel like you're "set" in your colors? What's a big enough card or signal to make you want to switch?

Also just finished another draft 1-2, RB this time. I'd post it, but I don't want to keep spamming the thread. Basically, I had an epic first round against a RG deck. Beat him even though he had a 12/13 Villagers of Estwald in game 1 and completely swept game 2. Second round I got beat by a UW deck that had stalker/curiosity and lots of fliers I couldn't deal with, then UB got overrun by zombies with captain backup. I think I'm done drafting for the weekend. Will probably do some cube next week, though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Build this pool to 4-2:
http://pastebin.com/EKwm7yEt

How would you have built it?

Started with blue in my mind as the #1 colour: double Mist Raven, good amount of evasion, bounce and flicker, card draw. Started with UWb build, as I felt white had excellent single cards like Cathar's Crusade and Goldnight Redeemer, plus better curve than other options. Black splash for removal, as that was the one thing lacking. After two rounds at 1-1, decided to try out more removal heavy but worse curve UB build for 3-1.

Thoughts about specific cards:

Mist Raven really is excellent, Man-o-War on a respectable body. The ETB ability with various flicker effects well used can really work wonders.

There is a good chance for building aggressive decks in the format it seems, and if you go slower white Seraph of Dawn really feels like a key card. Even Angelic Wall feels like solid early stopgap against a lot of things.

I was on the fence with Demonlord of Ashmouth, but I feel it is in the end very respectable P/T with reasonable risk/reward. In sealed I think it is way riskier as colour de jour felt like it was blue with it's bounce. Sideboarded it out against a blue deck at 3-1 match against deck I had seen Raven in.

I saw Thatcher's Revolt played in several decs against me. In the bad ones it was a Lava Axe at most. In the good ones it came with the Goldnight Commander for DIY Overrun, or very consistently with the Striker and Ringleader. I believe fine that it can be pretty nuts in right draft deck or even the right sealed pool.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 28, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Went loss, win, win in a DII swiss with this build:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=38lja

I'm putting it here as a lesson of what not to do; if you make a questionable decision early in the draft, the right thing to do is abandon it and start fresh, instead of burying yourself further trying to make the initial decision work. I should've picked:

P1P1 - Gather the Townsfolk or Loyal Cathar
P1P2 - Vault of the Archangel
P1P3 - Elgaud Inquisitor
P1P4 - Wild Hunger
P1P5 - Burden of Guilt
P1P6 - Harrowing Journey
P1P7 - Undying Evil
P1P8 - Faith's Shield

and ended up with a much stronger WB build.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I haven't even begun to play my second sealed event and I'm already bored of this format. :(

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Loot Pinata posted:

Went loss, win, win in a DII swiss with this build:

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=38lja

I'm putting it here as a lesson of what not to do; if you make a questionable decision early in the draft, the right thing to do is abandon it and start fresh, instead of burying yourself further trying to make the initial decision work. I should've picked:

P1P1 - Gather the Townsfolk or Loyal Cathar
P1P2 - Vault of the Archangel
P1P3 - Elgaud Inquisitor
P1P4 - Wild Hunger
P1P5 - Burden of Guilt
P1P6 - Harrowing Journey
P1P7 - Undying Evil
P1P8 - Faith's Shield

and ended up with a much stronger WB build.

Black was the color that was not really open. White was more open than Red but either way you'd have ended up with a weaker color in black

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

This may not be an electrifying insight to those better players amongst us, but after playing in the prerelease I think that despite the slow, bomby appearance of the format, those who underestimate consistent aggro decks will do so at their own peril. Trusted Forcemage (green soulbound +1/+1) in particular blew me out as my only loss today with a bomb-filled deck (Bonfire of the Damned and plenty of removal and fat angels) and I imagine it'll only be better in draft.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I tried to deny it, but Blue is just so good in AVR limited. You can pair it with any color and make a good deck.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
A bit of M12 advice needed!

I started U/w but got passed an absolute ton of red cards, wheeling stuff like Gorehorn and Blood Ogre repeatedly. In the end my deck is virtually monored, but I don't know whether to splash blue or white.

I ended up with white because it let me go virtually mono-red and kept me aggressive, while also giving me a tapper and Gideon. I sided into blue a number of times just because... gently caress, look at those blue cards. My mind was swayed to go white rather than blue just because the Sphinx doesn't seem that relevant in my super aggressive deck and, while Azure Mage and Looter are sweet as hell, the red cards I brought in really aren't THAT much worse. Also, my deck wants a lot of red mana early and not a ton late, which made me think that Aether Adept and Dragon would be a bit demanding for what I wanted my manabase to do.

Opinions? By the way I won the draft easily but it would be more or less impossible to not win with all of these goddamn aggressive undercosted beaters.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja
Pulled a foil Temporal Mastery at the pre-release today, so definitely going back tomorrow for the second event. I didn't get enough good blue to make good use of it, so I ended up going BWg (Green splash for a Somberwald Sage, which is incredible, and a Ranger, and a Gloomwidow, and a +1/+1 token target creature when he comes into play guy) I had 2 Death Winds, Bone Splinters, +2/+2 first strike, 2 Evernight Shades (Champions of the deck), 2 Blood Artists (Also champions), Terminus, Divine Deflection (I absolutely love this card, it is such a game changer in some situations), and a Restoration Angel. I did pull a Slayers' Stronghold, but didn't want to splash in a 4th color and lose 2 much needed colored land slots.

I ended up going 2-3-0 due to a terrible 5th match where I drew a no hand land, mulled to a 1 land hand, then mulled to a 2 land 5 card-hand that didn't draw land until turn 5. The games I did win, were pretty much blowouts though. Overall, I liked the set. It is so much different than I am used to (only really played sealed for INN and DKA) it seems to be much slower, and any removal you can get it over the top awesome.

Highlight of the night, guy was playing GW Descendants' Path/Angelic Tomb deck, had a human, angel, and artifact creature in play, drops something in with descendants, drops 2 more in from his hand (one was the angel that adds a 1/1 human when it enters the battlefield) and had lethal on board for the next turn. I top deck Terminus and miracle the hell out of the creatures, and for the next 3 turns he pulls a creature with his path, and has to drop it to the bottom while he draws a land and dies to my little beaters that I dropped after the miracle.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Stormageddon posted:

Just got back from midnight draft of avr. Got ninth because top 8 went to the undefeated and people who choose to draw into 10 points over my 9 for playing it out. feeling pretty bad right now, but the set is a blast and a half. Moonsilver Spear is an absolute boss, slam that thing every time you see it.

Good luck to everyone, watch out for Ravens, because they will ruin your day.

Moonsilver Spear was awesome when the game went on long enough for it to come on board, especially when equipped to a Kruin Striker bonded with a Tandem Lookout.

My card quality pretty much defaulted my sealed deck to UR, they were by far my deepest colors. Green and black were all over the place with no rares and nothing all that impressive/cohesive to make them seem worth including. White was very light in my packs (10/82 cards), I wanted to play Angel of Glory's Rise and Voice of the Provinces, but splashing WW cards with no fixing didn't seem like it was worth the risk. Here's the deck I ended up with that took me to 3-2:

Stonewright
Kruin Striker
Lightning Mauler
Riot Ringleader x3
Zealous Conscripts
Wingcrafter
Alchemist's Apprentice
Fettergeist x2
Galvanic Alchemist
Tandem Lookout
Elgaud Shieldmate x2
Mist Raven
Gryff Vanguard
Bonfire of the Damned
Into the Void
Peel From Reality
Mass Appeal
Devastation Tide
Moonsilver Spear
Island x11
Mountain x 6

Relevant sideboard: Geist Snatch, Ghostly Flicker, Outwit x2, Dangerous Wager x2, Demolish, Falkenrath Exterminator, Gang of Devils, Mad Prophet, Somberwald Vigilante, Thunderbolt.

For the first match I had Thunderbolt, Exterminator, Geist Snatch, and Ghostly Flicker in over Kruin Striker, Galvanic Alchemist, 1 Riot Ringleader, and Peel from Reality. I switched to the above decklist after the first match and stuck with it until the end.

Would one more Mountain and one less Island been a better play? My deck was so blue heavy and the match came out to needing 1/3 Mountains, but I did end up wanting for red more often than I would have liked

Death Pits of Crap
Nov 6, 2007
I like a 10/7 split much better than 11/6. I would have run 9 / 8, myself, because lacking a color can constrain your options so much turns 1-4. While it sucks to be less able to cast multiple spells of a single color after that, missing an early drop can have a huge impact on the game.

Mad Prophet seems insane to me, and Falkenrath Exterminator seems okay with three bounce spells. I would have used those.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Death Pits of Crap posted:

I like a 10/7 split much better than 11/6. I would have run 9 / 8, myself, because lacking a color can constrain your options so much turns 1-4. While it sucks to be less able to cast multiple spells of a single color after that, missing an early drop can have a huge impact on the game.

Mad Prophet seems insane to me, and Falkenrath Exterminator seems okay with three bounce spells. I would have used those.

Mad Prophet is quite good, I used it today. It has Human synergy, can be aggressive, and can mill through less useful cards/flood to find what you need.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

AnacondaHL posted:

Mad Prophet is quite good, I used it today. It has Human synergy, can be aggressive, and can mill through less useful cards/flood to find what you need.

I would probably pull out a Shieldmate for the Prophet if I did it again, I thought is was a 1/1 for some reason when I was sorting in to playables/unplayables at the beginning and didn't really look at it again until I got home. The hexproof bond with the Shieldmate was rarely (if ever) relevant with my opponents and there were some games where my hand was choked with poo I would have happily dumped. 10/7 probably would have been nice but I don't think I would have gone to 10/7 since the deck seemed like it worked well with blue opening and messing with the opponent's board/drawing cards and then dropping red later on to finish the job. I liked Executioner at first, but Kruin Striked worked with Mass Appeal, the Riot Ringleaders, and Moonsilver Spear so well I decided to trade out.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Had a blast at the AVR pre-release (sealed deck with a helvault). This set seemed pretty expensive mana cost wise to me though, I'm pretty sure more than half the cards I got in my 6 boosters were 4+ mana.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Had a good time at the prerelease, here's what I played with:

//Creatures
Cathedral Sanctifier
Riders of Gavony
Archangel
Boarderland Ranger
Geist Trappers
2 Moorland Inquisitor
Kruin Striker
Lightning Mauler
Goldnight Commander
Trusted Forcemage
Champion of Lambholt

//Artifacts
Angel's Tombs

//Spells
Defang
Banishing Stroke
Banners Raised
Devine Deflection
Snare the Skies
Pillar of Flame
Battle Hymn
Thatcher Revolt
Vigilane Justice

//Land
9 Plains
5 Mountain
5 Forest

//Sideboard
Seraph Sanctuary
Narstad Scrapper
Vangard's Shield
Scroll of Griselbrand
Emancipation Angel
2 Seraph of Dawn
Midvast Protector
2 Cursebreak
Call to Serve
Commander's Authority
Yew Spirit
2 Lair Delve
Wandering Wolf
Wolfir Avenger
Bower Passage
Sheltering Word
Nettle Swine
Natural End
2 Uncanny Speed
Dangerous Wager
Malicious Intent
Heirs of Stromkirk
2 Scalding Devil
Guise of Fire
Hound of Griselbrand
Havengul Skaab
2 Mist Raven
Second Guess
Galvanic Alchemist
Ghostform
Gryff Vanguard
Spectral Prison
Alchemist's Apprentice
Stern Mentro
Amass the Components
Dreadwaters
Appetite for Brain
Mental Agony
Human Frailty
Soulcage Fiend
Corpse Traders
Searchlight Geist
Death Wind
Marrow Bats
Grave Exchange
Treacherous Pit-Dweller
Homicidal Seclusion
Crypt Creeper
Driver of the Dead
Polluted Dead
Bone Splinters
Unhallowed Pact
Killing Wave
Into the Void

Humans seemed like a good idea, though I had several cards which interacted nicely with Thatcher Revolt (Goldnight Commander, Vigilante Justice, Kruin Striker and especially Champion of Lambholt) but only one copy of it. Though I was keen to cast it, I could probably have afforded to drop some red to better support green.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I had a sub-par pool, but I did have the white mythic that spits angels, so ended up 2-1-3 (1 draw) for my first ever event. Bad draws and a possibly slightly screwy mana base meant I lost a few games without ever challenging, but I'm overall happy. (:

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Having White as your primary color and not playing Emancipation Angel or Seraph of Dawn seems weird to me. Both of those cards are really, really strong.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I'd be really interested to hear what exactly folks would build from this pool: http://pastebin.com/y9dMk8UA

I was initially really underwhelmed by this pool and felt it was weaker than the one I opened on Saturday, though it does have some power in it too. It ended up better than I expected, but I think I had some luck on the way and definitely ain't sure if I built it right. I'll pip with my deck and some card thoughts later.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Here's the pool I opened Saturday. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pjstelford-avr-prerelease-1-pool/

I think I built it right, but I want to know your ideas.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pjstelford-avr-prerelease-1-deck/ (U/G) is what I ended up running to go 4-1 (losing to x2

^^^^I'd be glad to give opinions, but I don't know the cards by name well enough yet.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BXCX posted:

I would probably pull out a Shieldmate for the Prophet if I did it again, I thought is was a 1/1 for some reason when I was sorting in to playables/unplayables at the beginning and didn't really look at it again until I got home. The hexproof bond with the Shieldmate was rarely (if ever) relevant with my opponents and there were some games where my hand was choked with poo I would have happily dumped. 10/7 probably would have been nice but I don't think I would have gone to 10/7 since the deck seemed like it worked well with blue opening and messing with the opponent's board/drawing cards and then dropping red later on to finish the job. I liked Executioner at first, but Kruin Striked worked with Mass Appeal, the Riot Ringleaders, and Moonsilver Spear so well I decided to trade out.

I think you're vastly underestimating the value of Hexproof, especially in a limited environment. Blanking 90% of the already limited removal is incredibly powerful.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

PJStelford posted:

Here's the pool I opened Saturday. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pjstelford-avr-prerelease-1-pool/

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pjstelford-avr-prerelease-1-deck/ (U/G) is what I ended up running to go 4-1 (losing to x2

^^^^I'd be glad to give opinions, but I don't know the cards by name well enough yet.

You don't seem to have made any huge mistakes. Lair Delve is better than it looks on the face it's practically made for limited (75% of your cards are activated by it), and I don't think the fake glint hawk idol thing is nearly as good as it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PJStelford posted:

Can you view this? http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lunsku-avr-pool-2/

I think my build would have been pretty much the same as yours. Would have probably played the Spectral Prison, you're not packing too much removal.