Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

Long story short, guy hit gas instead of brake, hit the wall in reverse, then put it in drive and slammed my bike into my car then through a wall (almost).

I'm sad, it was my grandfathers car and also the nicest 83 supra around :(

That deserves two sad faces.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

That's hosed up, whelp I guess you're gonna get a KTM now aren't ya. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Jesus Christ.

At least you weren't driving one of them. Still, that blows. :(

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
The part where you said he hit the wall in reverse then put it into drive and continued to drive through more poo poo? Yeah, suspend/pull his license.

Glad you wern't on the bike when it was totaled and I'm totally feeling you big-time for the Supra, my favorite generation of them and there simply isn't enough of them around for people to be smashing up like that :( :(

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

Long story short, guy hit gas instead of brake, hit the wall in reverse, then put it in drive and slammed my bike into my car then through a wall (almost).
The long story ends with this guy getting a DUI right?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I didn't do it, but someone else successfully totalled my car and my bike in one fell swoop! Inside my parking garage!

Holy balls that blows epically

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Holy poo poo that sucks. What are you doing for transportation in the meantime?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
The best/worst part is the dude is old and was in a rental, because his current car was involved in a collision accident. Guessing that was his fault too.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

SaNChEzZ posted:

O_O that is goddamn awful :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

Holy poo poo that sucks. What are you doing for transportation in the meantime?

I have my girlfriend's car unless she needs it then I'll have to find a ride to work.

The guy is like in his 70s probably, on dialysis, needed a pillow to support his weight in the car etc. He definitely should not be driving. Especially a jeep liberty.

The whole set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11045674@N03/sets/72157629529895538/

Fuckin sucks, depressed as hell today. The bike is whatever, but the car.. :ughh:

The good news is that on kbb's used car section I found three 83-84 supras going for between 12-15k because of age and condition. I had also just registered to have my car shown in the TORC Toyotafest (Toyota Owners Restoration Club) so maybe the fact that it was a show registered classic will help me get more than $1500 for it. I'd really like to get it fixed and still have money to buy a bike. Luckily it's prime bike buying season so I'll be able to show some pretty pricey ads in the LA area for WR250s.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On the upside, any niggles you may have been having with the WR are "solved" now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

On the upside, any niggles you may have been having with the WR are "solved" now.

Yep, not going to have to fix that flat rear tire.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

SaNChEzZ posted:

The whole set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11045674@N03/sets/72157629529895538/

Fuckin sucks, depressed as hell today. The bike is whatever, but the car.. :ughh:

That was a beautiful beautiful car :( Hope you ger PAID.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's the little things!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
e: truncated url silliness "Deputy on motorcycle suffers minor injuries in spill"

http://heraldnet.com/article/20120425/NEWS01/704259842/-1/news01#Deputy-on-motorcycle-suffers-minor-injuries-in-spill

quote:

Slippery road conditions contributed to the accident...

They have a citation for exactly that, I hope the ticket is in the mail?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 26, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

clutchpuck posted:

http://heraldnet.com/article/20120425/NEWS01/704259842/-1/news01#Deputy-on-motorcycle-suffers-minor-injuries-in-spill

They have a citation for exactly that, I hope the ticket is in the mail?

Really? You guys can get in trouble because the road is slippery and you slip off? The gently caress? I can understand that if you're speeding or whatever and generally acting like a dong then lost it, but if you, for example, slipped in the rain on a white line, etc. you shouldn't get ticketed for that.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Shimrod posted:

Really? You guys can get in trouble because the road is slippery and you slip off? The gently caress? I can understand that if you're speeding or whatever and generally acting like a dong then lost it, but if you, for example, slipped in the rain on a white line, etc. you shouldn't get ticketed for that.

I don't know if there's one that specific, but WA has a "speed too fast to avoid collisions/too fast for conditions" ticket that they can basically write for anything. WA is an at-fault state, so someone has to get a ticket for an accident.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shimrod posted:

Really? You guys can get in trouble because the road is slippery and you slip off? The gently caress?

Most of the year, dry roads are the exception. I would give him a pass if he was responding to an emergency, but donging around on taxpayer property in this economy? Ding him.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:unsmith:

:smith:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I don't know if there's one that specific, but WA has a "speed too fast to avoid collisions/too fast for conditions" ticket that they can basically write for anything. WA is an at-fault state, so someone has to get a ticket for an accident.

You swerved to avoid a deer. It worked when I drifted my '83 Volvo off the road, down an embankment, and into the forest. (in Bellingham)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

:unsmith: Thanks Xovaan

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Does this apply for the whole state? Or just motorcycles? Back in May 2009 I rear-ended someone (car on car) and I had just moved to the state so I naturally called the cops when it happened and they said just exchange insurance information and you're good to go. :confused:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

Does this apply for the whole state? Or just motorcycles? Back in May 2009 I rear-ended someone (car on car) and I had just moved to the state so I naturally called the cops when it happened and they said just exchange insurance information and you're good to go. :confused:

I may be mistaken, actually. I'm having a hard time finding an answer through Googling right now since there are so many bullshit insurance-related websites out there, but I did find a reference to WA no longer having automatic determination of fault. But I'm not even sure how insurance fault/no-fault relates to tickets.

It's always been my understanding that someone is supposed to get a ticket for an accident in WA, but maybe it's just something they do 99% of the time anyway.

I didn't get a ticket when I crashed my scooter - apparently I told the officer a moth flew in my helmet, and he said he felt bad for me (I don't remember anything from that night) - but when I got one for a car accident the responding officer implied that fault must be assigned.

Maybe I need to go find a police ask/tell :ohdear:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I suspect it may be up to the officer's discretion at the scene, and possibly a little bit of juristiction. I know deputies don't like writing citations, but WSPs are born and bred for that task.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Well, for the silver lining, time to take the insurance pay out and get newer, better both of them!

Glad you're ok!

Every time I see this thread has new responses I cringe.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

Well, for the silver lining, time to take the insurance pay out and get newer, better both of them!

Glad you're ok!

Every time I see this thread has new responses I cringe.

Can't replace this:

I bought a new honda though :unsmith: time to get some hybrid fuel economy. I'll also still be looking for a 250x, perhaps I'll graduate to a DRZ. Who knows, haven't talked to the adjuster yet.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yeah, that thing is pretty goddamn sexy. :downsmith:

Just browse bringatrailer.com for a while....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Can't replace this:

I bought a new honda though :unsmith: time to get some hybrid fuel economy. I'll also still be looking for a 250x, perhaps I'll graduate to a DRZ. Who knows, haven't talked to the adjuster yet.

I really, really, REALLY regret not driving that thing around when you offered now :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

SaNChEzZ posted:

Please tell me you didn't buy an Insight or a CR-Z

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Surging Santorum posted:

Please tell me you didn't buy an Insight or a CR-Z

I bought a crz. If it wasn't as cheap as it was I would have gotten a yaris or fiesta. Also they look awesome slammed on wheels :ssh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

SaNChEzZ posted:

It's the little things!

Hah, that loving sucks but it reminds me that I have a full new set of brake pads for the SV that I can look into selling now. :v:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm super jelly of it, when you turn it on the dash makes you feel like you're in tron IRL. (thats good)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Crash Test Gullous. No injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvQJLSXL1Qw&feature=youtu.be#t=5m20s

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I saw (the immediate aftermath of) a girl on a scooter crashing last night. According to her, she was heading down a hill when a Prius pulled out in front of her. Shortly thereafter, a van pulled out in front of the Prius, making the Prius short stop. Scooter girl hit the back of the Prius and went down.

She was wearing a Fulmer helmet, a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, jeans, and sneakers. Surprisingly, no gloves. She was fine, up and walking around immediately after the crash; I don't even think her palms were skinned. The scooter had a front bash bar, and that was bent down in the impact, forcing part of the fender to rub against the front wheel. It was unridable, and neither I nor the waiter from the nearby restaurant could bend it back into shape.

When I left, she was arguing fault with the Prius lady.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wouldn't that automatically be the scooter persons fault for not maintaining correct following distance?

To me it sounds like the Prius was already on the road and driving then came across another intersection where the van pulled out?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
What sucks even more is if she was riding one of those 50cc scooters in the states that don't require license or insurance then she has to pay the prius driver out of pocket.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Shimrod posted:

Wouldn't that automatically be the scooter persons fault for not maintaining correct following distance?

To me it sounds like the Prius was already on the road and driving then came across another intersection where the van pulled out?

It's close, but probably. The Prius probably pulled out of a dialysis clinic (the driver was dressed in scrubs), which is about 250 or 300 feet from the next intersection where the van probably appeared. If scootyscoot was hard on the brakes to begin with, I could see it being the Prius's or the van's fault.

Occam's razor, however, says it's probably the scooter's fault.

front wing flexing posted:

What sucks even more is if she was riding one of those 50cc scooters in the states that don't require license or insurance then she has to pay the prius driver out of pocket.

She almost certainly was.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Well I'm a dumbass and just toasted a less than one-year old Shoei helmet. I accidentally turned off my alarm clock this morning instead of hitting snooze, and overslept, so I hopped out of bed, put my gear on, and bolted out the door. It seemed like it had just done one of those ten minute rain downpours then immediately stopped, so the roads were all slick and greasy since there was no time to wash the crud away. I was pulling out from a busy intersection, trying to get through it quickly because turners always try to cut you off, and I forgot that there were steel plates running across the intersection.

Hit the plates while accelerating, and I'm not sure if I panic braked or what. I don't think I did, but I can't figure any other way to explain the high-side. I flew off and landed right on my head. I've never hit my head before and the feeling was bizarre.

I managed to ride the bike home, and best case all that's hosed is the right brake lever. The mirrors might need to be replaced but could just be tightened, and worst case is bent forks.

My arm and ribs are sore, and I have a killer headache, but the nausea is passing. Definitely glad I was wearing full gear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SlightlyMadman posted:

Well I'm a dumbass and just toasted a less than one-year old Shoei helmet.

I flew off and landed right on my head. I've never hit my head before and the feeling was bizarre.

I have a killer headache, but the nausea is passing. Definitely glad I was wearing full gear.

Get tested, make sure you don't have a concussion, don't go to sleep for a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Get tested, make sure you don't have a concussion, don't go to sleep for a few hours.

I've got like a $5,000 deductible on my insurance so I'm not going to the hospital without good reason. If I had a concussion I can't imagine I'd have been able to ride home, or make it into work, right?

• Locked thread