Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
As I wake up at 4:30 AM EST for set and read these emails from Vegas, all I wanted to say is that I hate you guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know everyone is tired of camera chat but could one of you guys at NAB make it over to Blackmagic and pixel peep the Cinema Camera footage. Is it as soft as it looks on Vimeo.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Tiresias posted:

He probably double dipped. You gonna be at the Angeniuexuxeuuxuwq booth tomorrow with him? I'll come say hi then.

I haven't been this drunk in a minute.

Yeah, we're doing the Angeniuex booth again. Get your hungover rear end to our booth today. And bring us treats.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Yuns posted:

I know everyone is tired of camera chat but could one of you guys at NAB make it over to Blackmagic and pixel peep the Cinema Camera footage. Is it as soft as it looks on Vimeo.

Could one of you guys ask Black Magic if the Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle is going to loving ship sometime this year?

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
can someone ask black magic what the gently caress they are thinking with a smaller than 4/3 sensor with a loving EF mount? Too small for s35, too big for s16, just a stupid stupid camera.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

RizieN posted:

Could one of you guys ask Black Magic if the Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle is going to loving ship sometime this year?

I'll do that deed and report back.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
What a crazy steadicam shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yrtpjDNb9J0

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Tiresias posted:

I'll do that deed and report back.

They just updated their website from Q1 2012 to 'Shipping in April' . I really need that thing before April 26th but I don't want to buy the USB version :( Go ahead and steal one for me if they have them at the show.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

BeavisNuke posted:

What a crazy steadicam shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yrtpjDNb9J0

There was this steadicam op that worked part time in our shop and almost every time any customer found out he was a steadicam op they would ask him if he's seen this clip and proceed to describe it to him. He has more patience than I do.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

BeavisNuke posted:

Someone sold their soul to Satan to get that shot.

In other news, I decided I don't hate the BlackMagic camera.

EDIT: I did just post this on my Facebook:

"The BlackMagic Camera seems to be their attempt at making a DSLR camera (and exceed the limitations of DSLR's) strictly from their background as a post-production company. Go through their website: 6 pages of information, only 1 addresses functionality as far as production work (camera grips and a sunshade). The rest is about the electronics processing, compression options, and capturing the footage to your NLE system. Page 3 is dedicated to metadata entry on the camera and editing!!! Check out the page on the sensor, or their plans for PL mount lenses! OH, there AREN'T any! "13 stops of latitude" is about all the sensor information you get, and that's mostly electronics!"

Tiresias fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 18, 2012

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
As really lame as all that is, it's still a far cry more attractive to me than a DSLR at that price point, S16 sensor or not.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
If it actually had a s16 sensor it would be attractive, not this in-between poo poo.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Mozzie posted:

If it actually had a s16 sensor it would be attractive, not this in-between poo poo.

Why? Isn't it worth the payoff, compared to ungradable rolling shutter moiré h264 dslr crap?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
There are a lot of good 16mm lenses available, and there are a buttload of 35mm or APS-C lenses out there, but with an in-between sensor and EF mount you're a bit limited to what you can do, especially on the wide end.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
picture time..

today's martini

leko, drop in in a cyclone shape, d-50 hazer, "follow spot" 1k black wrapped snoot and almost full spot.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Night Exterior from last night

In that picture you see... 2 Maxi Brutes and 2 5K Seniors, though for the wide I had 3 Maxis, 2 5Ks, two 2Ks, and 2 Tegra Kinos.

Fun night :)

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EnsGDT posted:

Night Exterior from last night

In that picture you see... 2 Maxi Brutes and 2 5K Seniors, though for the wide I had 3 Maxis, 2 5Ks, two 2Ks, and 2 Tegra Kinos.

Fun night :)

2 of each unit must have made your bbe's job balancing a breeze. I like those kinda gigs. No ghost loading sillyness.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

2 of each unit must have made your bbe's job balancing a breeze. I like those kinda gigs. No ghost loading sillyness.

Haha, yeah...my BBE's favorite question: "Oh, you want to turn that light off? Can we just...wing it out of the shot and leave it running?"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Today's job:

Tomorrow's job is having a day off finally. Sweet sweet sleeping in.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

DSLR : JL Fisher dolly :: Spray paint paint job : Mercedes Benz

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Tiresias posted:

DSLR : JL Fisher dolly :: Spray paint paint job : Mercedes Benz

Not gonna lie, I definitely did a double take

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

EnsGDT posted:

Not gonna lie, I definitely did a double take

To be fair, they were using c300's on the first part of this gig, but couldn't get one in the city without paying an insane rate from the only house that had it so last minute.

Shrug. I was just the entire g/e for the 3 cams..had nothing to do with cam dept on this one.

Oh, look closely at the head..hahah. I got this call pretty late so I asked them to make sure the dolly package was complete. Get there and of course there's no mitchell adapter for the head. We end up just wedging shims in there to stabilize so we didn't have to lose time look for an open house on a sat. Fun stuff.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 22, 2012

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

zer0spunk posted:

Today's job:

Tomorrow's job is having a day off finally. Sweet sweet sleeping in.

That's like using a two ton dually truck to haul groceries.

And the guy in the pic sure looks a lot like Tay Zonday.

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

go go gadget handheld

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

Sigh, being a camera op used to be cool...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't get that easy focus thing. How does it make it easier to focus when the camera is suspended above your face like that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1st AD posted:

I don't get that easy focus thing. How does it make it easier to focus when the camera is suspended above your face like that?

First quality Chinese engineering! Very affordable you best!

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

Walnut Crunch posted:

Sigh, being a camera op used to be cool...

If you're not cool beforehand, then you're screwed.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Hey guys

I need to recorded some interviews both indoors and outdoors, I've got a Rode VideoMic I can use as well as a lapel mic, the only thing is the audio recorded into the camera (Nikon D5100) is awful.

Would getting something like a Zoom H1 and syncing the audio in post be the best option?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Krelas posted:

Hey guys

I need to recorded some interviews both indoors and outdoors, I've got a Rode VideoMic I can use as well as a lapel mic, the only thing is the audio recorded into the camera (Nikon D5100) is awful.

Would getting something like a Zoom H1 and syncing the audio in post be the best option?

Yes?

But don't get the H1, get something with XLR in like the H4N. It's a higher cost up front but you won't have to spend the money twice.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone ever try out any of the Indisystem rigs? They have a new version of the AIRSupport. Wondering if I should try it out over my cheap chinese zacuto knockoff.

http://www.indisystem.com/airsystem/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have one, not as good as my Letus rig but it's very lightweight and the thumb-controlled follow focus is the most ingenious thing ever.

Also, the matte box is a piece of poo poo and should be tossed away.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever used/heard of edelkrone? This little go go gadget rig would be really handy for me if it was at least somewhat decent: http://www.edelkrone.com/the-pocket-rig/

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

powderific posted:

Anyone ever used/heard of edelkrone? This little go go gadget rig would be really handy for me if it was at least somewhat decent: [url][/url]

I've heard of them, but never personally used their stuff so I can't attest to the quality. What I will say though, is I have used the Zacuto rig that fits into your shoulder like that and I hated it. It caused my arm muscles to tense up and got very tired very quickly.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Krelas posted:

Hey guys

A zoom H1 would definitely get the job done except that it only has 1 input. Ideally you'll want a solution that allows you to record both the lapel and shotgun mics simultaneously. The Videomic is a 1/8'' input- if your lapel mic (is it wireless?) is XLR, then you'll want to look at the H4 as I believe (after quickly skimming the specs) it will take both XLR and mini-stereo inputs simultaneously. If both your mics are 1/8'' then you are SOL on either choice unless you're springing for a field mixer rental as well.
Also, remember to turn on the goddamn 80hz rolloff for your outdoor interviews if there is even the slightest, barely perceptible breeze or if you are anywhere remotely close to traffic.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I'm actually selling a pair of brand new Zoom H1's over here if any of you are interested.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Hey guys,

So Im potentially going to be hired as a camera pa for a four day Alexa shoot starting on Wednesday and I have very very little experience with that camera and its accessories but this is a great oppurtunity for me. This job is really last minute so they dont really have time to go over stuff with me so im seeing if any of you guys could give me any info, advice or tips at all so im not totally useless if I am hired.

Basically I need any info or resources that have info on stuff typically used with an Alexa like names of cables, filters, matteboxes, lens accessories, remote stuff etc.

Anything will help really, im a fast learner but I know the last thing the AC wants is to have to spend his time teaching me the basics on a rushed job like this.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I were in that position, I'd probably start reading manuals and threads about the Alexa to get a better idea on its finer details. It might be a long shot for them to let a PA play with their camera(and I'd probably be hesitant to ask), but if the rental house is nearby, maybe you can arrange to go in during the day and get a hands-on. I have no clue how that would go over, though. They might like that you're trying to learn so much and make the shoot go smoother, but they might also think you're wasting their time or worse, like you're stepping on their toes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozzie
Oct 26, 2007
Also understand as a camera PA is to get the loving coffee when you are asked to. You think the 1st and 2nd have anytime off to get it?