Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really enjoyed Cell. It had some amazing imagery and was entertaining, especially in the first half to 2/3. It gets weird in the end, but I liked the characters and it was a quick read so I didn't mind. I've actually read it three times since it came out. I'm a habitual re-reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

blue squares posted:

I really enjoyed Cell. It had some amazing imagery and was entertaining, especially in the first half to 2/3. It gets weird in the end, but I liked the characters and it was a quick read so I didn't mind. I've actually read it three times since it came out. I'm a habitual re-reader.

I totally would have said the exact same thing (and I might have, in this very thread aways back) but after re-reading his earliest stuff from Salem's Lot, Dead Zone, The Stand, Cujo, Firestarter, and a few others, I've changed my feelings. I'm glad you get enjoyment out of it though. I almost feel kind of bad that I don't like it as much as I used to.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OK, I'll pick Cell up next time I'm in the mood to read King.

Darko posted:

Not a long thread, this has been addressed in detail already multiple times.

It's a 75 page thread, how is it "not long"?

I was commenting on the discussion on the same page about the revisions of the first book with regards to foreshadowing the ending, and thought I'd write about how I felt about the ending too.

Can I still talk about the ending of The Stand or The Shining, or am I too late for those as well?

Jealous Cow posted:

That was the point. The final scene with Renne trapped in that shack with the failing air filter is the cap on a story about what makes a real sociopath.

That makes perfect sense. The whole subplot felt like it was out of place, but when you put it like that it works out. I actually like the idea that he was a true sociopath, not just a jerk making heaps of dirty money much better, but somehow it didn't come through well for me in the writing.

mdemone posted:

I always took King at his word when he said that Browning's poem about Roland was the real ending, such that the cycle we have just read about was the penultimate loop, and that the next time will be the time Roland blows the Horn of Eld (which he has now, when he begins the last loop at the novels' end) for his friends and forefathers.

I read that too. I'm not sure it's my favorite way of looking at it. Since he's stated it so clearly though, it's hard to argue. I wish authors wouldn't do that sort of thing after the book is over, I really prefer ambiguity and/or making up my own mind what happens next.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 14, 2012

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sorry, I actually swapped this thread with the Bachman one in my mind. Short form response; most people like the actual ending; it's the rest of the climax, mainly the last two books in general, that people don't like. And that's mainly due to expectations King built at the time of writing earlier books that he reverted on in the final group.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No worries :) Yeah, I kind of get that. I still didn't mind the final two books, I'd assumed around the second-last or third-last book that there wasn't going to be some epic battle with the Crimson King, so I was happy when he was pretty much just an ineffectual crazy dude.

There is a quite a change in tone throughout the series, yeah. I can see that it would grate on some people but since Roland seems to have changed the story quite heavily this time around it makes sense to me. King generally doesn't seem to write great ending sequences (or sometimes the entire last 1/8 of the novel is pretty weird/bad/off-tone), so I wasn't at all surprised that the final two Dark Tower novels were... well, perhaps not as great as the rest of the series. I was pleasantly surprised at the final few pages, since I'd managed to avoid any spoilers and read the book pretty shortly after release. I think if you knew the exact ending, the final books could feel like a serious loving chore.

The only thing I didn't like very much was the whole author-self-insert thing, Can anyone tell me of a book where that was done well?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

The only thing I didn't like very much was the whole author-self-insert thing, Can anyone tell me of a book where that was done well?

Sure, just as soon as someone actually does it well. (not sure if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would count.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

AlphaDog posted:

Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

juliuspringle posted:

Sure, just as soon as someone actually does it well. (not sure if Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would count.)

Philip K Dick's VALIS has a really good author insert. He's actually two characters in the book, himself and "Horselover Fat"

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Shining has a pretty decent author insert, even if the author was unaware of it until much later. :v:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

AlphaDog posted:

Surely you can't fault Clive Cussler for his excellent work in this area.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Surely you can't fault Clive Cussler for his excellent work in this area.

I unironically enjoy the utter stupidity of Cussler's books, so yes, he's forgiven even though I wouldn't say that those parts (or any parts) of his novels are anything near "done well".

(I'm serious. They're the novel equivalent of Stallone/Norris/Van Damme action movies. They're enjoyable for their completely stupid over-the-top-ness, and the self-inserts fit that perfectly.)

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Can someone give me a rundown of good Stephen King endings without spoilers (as in just titles)?

Also, since someone mentioned Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions has a pretty good author insert as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

crankdatbatman posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of good Stephen King endings without spoilers (as in just titles)?

Moderately satisfying to great ending list:

The Running Man
The Long Walk
I liked both final battles in IT and the epilogue (even if the one part after the 1958 battle weirds everyone out)
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
90% of his short stories
Pet Sematary
Christine
Misery
Most of the stories in Hearts in Atlantis, as well as the last story in itself
Insomnia
Storm of the Century (which I'd mark as "great")
11/22/63

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

blue squares posted:

I loved Cell right about until the last act where it got all ooooo spooky brainwashing! and then I lost all interest.
My favourite King book always has been and always will be 'Eyes of the Dragon'.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Darko posted:

Moderately satisfying to great ending list:

The Running Man
The Long Walk
I liked both final battles in IT and the epilogue (even if the one part after the 1958 battle weirds everyone out)
Carrie
Salem's Lot
The Shining
90% of his short stories
Pet Sematary
Christine
Misery
Most of the stories in Hearts in Atlantis, as well as the last story in itself
Insomnia
Storm of the Century (which I'd mark as "great")
11/22/63

Do people hate the ending to The Dead Zone? I thought that reveal at the end was cool. I also thought The Talisman's ending was great. The ending to Black House, though...eh.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Febreeze posted:

Do people hate the ending to The Dead Zone? I thought that reveal at the end was cool. I also thought The Talisman's ending was great. The ending to Black House, though...eh.

I liked the ending. It could have maybe been better, but it definitely could have been worse. I thought it was a bit of a twist, and was handled in as satisfying a way as you could hope for. I liked that he actually spilled no blood, but he achieved his objective without despoiling his morals if that makes sense. Call me stupid if you like but I actually thought the denouement would have Stillson dead, but what he got was FAR worse. I liked it, I liked John and wanted him to be a good guy. :)

Now the tv miniseries with Walken, ugh. I did not like the changes they made, even though they were pretty minor. Walken makes up for it though.

Markeh
Jun 5, 2007
Savagely Irritable

when worlds collide posted:

...but he achieved his objective without despoiling his morals ...

That's a nice summation of every Disney movie ending.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Toriori posted:

My favourite King book always has been and always will be 'Eyes of the Dragon'.

Apparently Syfy has decided to adapt this into either a movie or a miniseries. They definitely want to do something with it though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently Syfy has decided to adapt this into either a movie or a miniseries. They definitely want to do something with it though.

This is there way of trying to cash in on Game of Thrones' success, isn't it?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Over the weekend, I went home and ended up coming back with all of my Stephen King books. Sorry for the bad glare.

Collection pretty much cuts off in the mid-1990s and most stuff was purchased used.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
So, has anyone picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole yet? I've heard really good things.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Stroth posted:

So, has anyone picked up The Wind Through the Keyhole yet? I've heard really good things.

I am about thirty pages in, and so far, I am hooked. As a disclaimer, I loved all of the Dark Tower books, and reading this has been like falling back in with old friends.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Stroth posted:

The Dark Tower thread has universally praised it, we've only had one hater so far.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

muscles like this? posted:

It'd be better if AMC or someone instead. Stiil, I'm excited! As ling as King stays the he'll out of it, there's a chance it'll be good.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ensign_Ricky posted:

The Dark Tower thread has universally praised it, we've only had one hater so far.

I do a lot (I mean a lot) of audiobooks from Audible and was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, King himself is reading.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Jealous Cow posted:

I do a lot (I mean a lot) of audiobooks from Audible and was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately, King himself is reading.

Yeaaah, that voice. Hmm. Speaking of which, I have 3 or 4 free books from Audible, but I can't decide which ones to get. Anybody have any recommendations? I have the most expensive ones on my list but I haven't actually bought them yet, wanted to get some sort of confirmation first. I am horribly new to the concept of audiobooks, but kind of excited to try it.

Also, if one were to (re-)read Desperation and the Regulators, which should be read first? Finally have copies of both, so I might get them out of the way after I finish Christine.

I also found two copies of the original Gunslinger today, and by this threads recommendation I don't want to read the new updated one first. That series is one of the few King's I've never read before, so I'm looking forward to it. :sun:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

when worlds collide posted:

Also, if one were to (re-)read Desperation and the Regulators, which should be read first? Finally have copies of both, so I might get them out of the way after I finish Christine.

General consensus is that Desperation is better.

However, I absolutely love the surreal, nihilistic world in the Regulators. Unironically, I find it good enough to re-read every year or two, and vastly prefer it over Desperation.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ConfusedUs posted:

General consensus is that Desperation is better.

However, I absolutely love the surreal, nihilistic world in the Regulators. Unironically, I find it good enough to re-read every year or two, and vastly prefer it over Desperation.

Me too. And the "President of South Africa" joke slays me every time.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Hmm. I think I will read Desperation first, then Regulators. That sounds like an order that will work for me. I also like surrealism and all that. Pity I can't remember anything about either of them. Thanks for the input.

I'm reading through Skeleton Crew quickly before I tackle those two. I do love my King short stories. Happened to find that one when I was midway through Christine, and couldn't resist it's pull.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/may/01/stephen-king-tax-the-rich

quote:

In an expletive-filled condemnation of America's tax system, the bestselling novelist, who donates $4m a year to charity, says wealthy Americans have a 'moral imperative' to pay higher taxes.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Stephen King owns :allears:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Stephen King posted:

I’ve known rich people, and why not, since I’m one of them? The majority would rather douse their dicks with lighter fluid, strike a match, and dance around singing “Disco Inferno” than pay one more cent in taxes to Uncle Sugar.
Jesus, that rules.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A rich person is advocating for increased taxes on people like him?

Christ, that van did a lot more damage than we thought.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

A rich person is advocating for increased taxes on people like him?

Christ, that van did a lot more damage than we thought.

Even Warren Buffet thinks the wealthy should pay more taxes. It would seem like anyone smart enough to get that rich would also realize how hard it would be to enjoy their money if the world was a poo poo heap filled with hungry uneducated underemployed rabble rousers. Your gated community will only isolate you so much, at some point you need to give a little to avoid anarchy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Have you read On Writing? He comes from a poor background, and was very much struggling to pay the bills until he sold Carrie. Now he's fabulously wealthy. He lifted himself up out of the mud with tampon strings.

Why are you so into punishing his success? Stephen King is creating jobs, man. Every time a terrible adaptation is made, that's hundreds of people who wouldn't have worked otherwise. We all trickle-down down here.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Have you read On Writing? He comes from a poor background, and was very much struggling to pay the bills until he sold Carrie. Now he's fabulously wealthy. He lifted himself up out of the mud with tampon strings.

Why are you so into punishing his success? Stephen King is creating jobs, man. Every time a terrible adaptation is made, that's hundreds of people who wouldn't have worked otherwise. We all trickle-down down here.

Ohhhh you!! You almost had me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

you...you sonofabitch. I was actually getting mad.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TampaxStrappin'.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
Considering his son is named after one of the most famous labor activists/martyrs ever, this is not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It goes to show that becoming rich doesn't reveal some Terrible, True Secret of the World showing how paying taxes and donating to charity is evil.

You just don't get it man! You'll find out some day when you're rich!